Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Well done sir :D You showed me

Always find having a chat with the person at the end of the phone will get you somewhere. And if they can't do it then be polite and tell them that you will look elsewhere.

I used to work in a similar environment once so know a few tricks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Was just told by Vodafone cc that i cant avail of an any time upgrade until after the phone is released, or equivalent being pre orders are for people out of contract or new customers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Was just told by Vodafone cc that i cant avail of an any time upgrade until after the phone is released, or equivalent being pre orders are for people out of contract or new customers only.

I was told the same.. phone available 28th Apr, my contract finishes 3rd may..

She apologized that i couldn't pre order and started trying to sell me a Hawaii phone. Ehhh no thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is the battery not a major disappointment?
    I know people will mention new chip etc but surely a larger battery would make more sense considering what is needed to be powered .

I'm gonna wait till I can get a proper look at the phone before making a decision on purchasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

yabadabado wrote:
    Is the battery not a major disappointment? I know people will mention new chip etc but surely a larger battery would make more sense considering what is needed to be powered .

Yeah that's what I was thinking..and there's more space because it's bigger so why can't they put a massive battery in the device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Yeah that's what I was thinking..and there's more space because it's bigger so why can't they put a massive battery in the device

I think they were afraid to take any risks after the Note 7 debacle

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I was told the same.. phone available 28th Apr, my contract finishes 3rd may..

She apologized that i couldn't pre order and started trying to sell me a Hawaii phone. Ehhh no thanks :)

Could you buy the phone when it goes on general release on the 28th of April?

They deliberately say S7 instead of Note!
    https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/847418140694687745

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is the battery not a major disappointment?
    I know people will mention new chip etc but surely a larger battery would make more sense considering what is needed to be powered .

I'm gonna wait till I can get a proper look at the phone before making a decision on purchasing it.

yeah that and the inflated price are the only 2 things that would stop me from buying it, everything else is spot on but the S7 edge offers better value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Is ir back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Is ir back?

Didn't see anything, Was handy in the pub when the barman was being an arsehole.

Could you turn the match up please.

NO.

Grand do it myself sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bexiturley

If it was bought from Amazon.de would there be any problems with carriers or would it be simfree?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If it's the one for €899 for the + version, then yeah that would be sim free. If it's something like €300 I'd imagine it's either locked to a network or else a knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

bexiturley wrote: »
    If it was bought from Amazon.de would there be any problems with carriers or would it be simfree?
    Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bexiturley

It's €799 for Galaxy s8 (not +) and seller is Samsung. Seem to deliver to Ireland too.

I'd say that's the sim free one then.

I bought flagship phones from Amazon.de before and the were SIM free with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's €799 for Galaxy s8 (not +) and seller is Samsung. Seem to deliver to Ireland too.

That's sim free as far as I can gather from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

love the look of it but my god that fingerprint scanner is in an idiotic position . it means you need 2 hands to use it . would have been better if it was a lot lower down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

love the look of it but my god that fingerprint scanner is in an idiotic position . it means you need 2 hands to use it . would have been better if it was a lot lower down

On the S8 it should be ok (one handed) but the 8+ I'd say its difficult.

I have a Redmin Note 3 and the fingerprint scanner is below the lense and thats easy enough. They are roughly the same size (S8) so I think it will be ok on the S8 standard version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How small are peoples hands? Admittedly is only a mere s6, but I can easily reach to either side of the camera lens with one hand holding the phone, and it's not like you need to keep your finger over the sensor permanently whilst using it anyway and your grip will adjust slightly as holding the handset. Seems to me like people are making a big deal over a very minor feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Is the iris scanner not an alternative option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

robinph wrote: »
    How small are peoples hands? Admittedly is only a mere s6, but I can easily reach to either side of the camera lens with one hand holding the phone, and it's not like you need to keep your finger over the sensor permanently whilst using it anyway and your grip will adjust slightly as holding the handset. Seems to me like people are making a big deal over a very minor feature.

I blame Trump ! :P

OSI wrote: »
    Just seen that although the display is 1440p the phone will actually run at 1080p by default unless you override it in the settings.

Hmmm, so I wonder how the battery will cope at 1440p... I'd say the plus will be out of my budget and also I do have quite small hands :o the 3000 mAH battery is what's concerning me though. My Z5 has a 2900 mAH and after a year of use, I'd struggle to get to the end of the day without having to plug it in. I wonder would the S7 be a better bet :(

robinph wrote: »

MKBHD struggles, and that dude has big hands.

I'd say people would use the iris scanner most of the time. Fingerprint scanner on the back is bad, no matter where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Toots wrote: »
    Hmmm, so I wonder how the battery will cope at 1440p... I'd say the plus will be out of my budget and also I do have quite small hands :o the 3000 mAH battery is what's concerning me though. My Z5 has a 2900 mAH and after a year of use, I'd struggle to get to the end of the day without having to plug it in. I wonder would the S7 be a better bet :(

Battery life is my main negative against my S7. Great phone still but battery is poor enough these days to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Battery life is my main negative against my S7. Great phone still but battery is poor enough these days to be fair.

Oops, I meant the S7 Edge, the 3600 mAh battery is what's making it really attractive for me. Also it'd work out a hell of a lot cheaper than the S8+.... but the S8 is so beautiful!! Oh god. I need to win the lotto, then I can buy the S8+ and it won't make a blind bit of difference if the battery craps out after a year because I'll be able to afford to buy another one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

upgrading from HTC one m9 to this phone

good or bad idea ???

no sign of HTC brining out the HTC 11

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    upgrading from HTC one m9 to this phone

good or bad idea ???

no sign of HTC brining out the HTC 11

The 11 will be announced in April, released in May. I know people who are currently testing the device.

I'd still go the Samsung, unless you're a major major HTC fan and will buy no matter what cr*p they bring out.

Advertisement