Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Basil3 wrote: »
    The 11 will be announced in April, released in May. I know people who are currently testing the device.

I'd still go the Samsung, unless you're a major major HTC fan and will buy no matter what cr*p they bring out.

Something with a good battery would do for me

The m9 battery and overheating issues are horrendous

PTH2009 wrote: »

The 11 has a 3000mAh battery and 5.5" QHD screen. From what I've heard, battery life is better than the 10 (which has a lot better battery than the M9), but it's still not the biggest battery.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PTH2009 wrote: »

I traded my M9 in after about 3 months of use because of the overheating. If I was on a long phone call the phone would be almost too hot to hold up to my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone else disappointed the camera is the same as the S7?

I know new software blah, blah, blah....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is some suggestion it's actually a new sensor. Besides that, combining 3 shots and oversampling could lead to a decent improvement. I'm not disappointed, the rate of progress in camera sensors is quite slow these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

No, the s7 camera is deadly, as is the s6's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Toots wrote: »
    Hmmm, so I wonder how the battery will cope at 1440p... I'd say the plus will be out of my budget and also I do have quite small hands :o the 3000 mAH battery is what's concerning me though. My Z5 has a 2900 mAH and after a year of use, I'd struggle to get to the end of the day without having to plug it in. I wonder would the S7 be a better bet :(

The S8 has a processor built using a 10nm process. The S7 processor was made using a 14nm process. When you use smaller features in a processor, it can do the same amount of work using less energy.

If you look at the S7 Edge, Samsung specs gave a 3G talk time of 27 hrs. They rate the S8 at 29 hrs so there is a good chance, I would think, that the S8 might actually have better battery life than the S7 Edge, even though it has a smaller battery.

Also interesting to note they claim the same 29 hrs for the Plus, so the larger screen, which will use more power, may mean it wont get much better battery endurance than the S8 - although if you were talking for 29 hrs straight, the screen would be off so it should actually go for longer, I would have thought.

Also, Bluetooth 5.0 is said to be more energy efficient.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The S8 has a processor built using a 10nm process. The S7 processor was made using a 14nm process. When you use smaller features in a processor, it can do the same amount of work using less energy.

If you look at the S7 Edge, Samsung specs gave a 3G talk time of 27 hrs. They rate the S8 at 29 hrs so there is a good chance, I would think, that the S8 might actually have better battery life than the S7 Edge, even though it has a smaller battery.

Also interesting to note they claim the same 29 hrs for the Plus, so the larger screen, which will use more power, may mean it wont get much better battery endurance than the S8 - although if you were talking for 29 hrs straight, the screen would be off so it should actually go for longer, I would have thought.

Also, Bluetooth 5.0 is said to be more energy efficient.

I believe very little when it comes to battery life improvements from chips. My Snapdragon 801 device had very good battery life, 810 was rubbish, 820 had better than 810, worse that 801. I know there are other factors at play, but the reality is that my old Note 2 still had the best battery of any device I've owned, which is a bit sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1983211

Available for preorder on Amazon.co.uk ..

Search for galaxy s8 and sort it from highest to lowest price - and there it is

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Have they said when the new wireless charging pad is going on sale? Is it being released at the same time as the S8? Will 3/Vodafone sell them? Cant find much info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Ha! Foolproof.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/31/galaxy-s8-facial-recognition-can-be-tricked-with-a-photo.html

In fairness, the iris recognition was great on the note 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The jammy Americans will be getting a free Gear VR if they pre-order, while customers in Europe will get the phone "8 days early" if they pre-order! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The jammy Americans will be getting a free Gear VR if they pre-order, while customers in Europe will get the phone "8 days early" if they pre-order! :mad:

It's pretty poor they don't give the sane stuff worldwide. I lived in Aus for the Note 7 launch and if you preordered one you got a free 256GB micro SD card (was worth $300) but if you ordered one in Europe you got a VR headset which was worth half the SD card

And I agree that I can't see why people are so worried about the fingerprint sensor. I've a Note 5 and can reach the flash/heart rate thing with one hand no problem, and I assume this is a bigger phone. Don't have particularly big hands either.

That's always the way. America is a much bigger and more important market. On the flip side, Trump is their president.

HTC had/have a thing called uh-oh in the states. Break your phone and they will replace once, no questions asked. If you don't use up your uh-oh, you get $100 off your next device. We could only dream of stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Patww79 wrote: »

It may be rubbish but easily sells on Adverts for 100+ being it the latest one. Saving you 100 on the cost of phone.

M7 S7 Edge cost 799 Prepay and sold VR for 100. So 699.

dan786 wrote: »
    It may be rubbish but easily sells on Adverts for 100+ being it the latest one. Saving you 100 on the cost of phone.

M7 S7 Edge cost 799 Prepay and sold VR for 100. So 699.

Nobody is paying €100+ for the gear VR on adverts. It's still pretty lame, the lack of extras on release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Im overdue an upgrade and just looking on the 3 site to what I can get. Currently have a H9 which is in the process of getting fixed by the manufacturer.

On my current plan of €40.66 a month (I think its going up), I can get S8 Plus for €999 on a 12/18 month contract or for €499 on a 24 month contract.

The same offer for just an S8 (non plus) - I presume the difference is in screen size is the same price for a 12/18 month contract but €399 for a 24 month contract.

Crazy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Basil3 wrote: »
    Nobody is paying €100+ for the gear VR on adverts. It's still pretty lame, the lack of extras on release.

Get me the new one and I will sell it for 100 on Adverts easily.

Im overdue an upgrade and just looking on the 3 site to what I can get. Currently have a H9 which is in the process of getting fixed by the manufacturer.

On my current plan of €40.66 a month (I think its going up), I can get S8 Plus for €999 on a 12/18 month contract or for €499 on a 24 month contract.

The same offer for just an S8 (non plus) - I presume the difference is in screen size is the same price for a 12/18 month contract but €399 for a 24 month contract.

Crazy carry on.

I think those prices are typos. Just quit your contract, drop to €30/month SIM only and buy it outright rather than those prices.

dan786 wrote: »
    Get me the new one and I will sell it for 100 on Adverts easily.

Are you talking the second gen or there's a new third gen? I can't find any gear VR's selling for over €100, new or otherwise. I bought my first gen one brand new for €50, so no idea why someone would pay over 100 for a second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

What's everyone thinking about the S8 V S8 +? I'm torn I have s7 edge which I love the bigger battery in the plus is drawing me in but the size seems very big. What's everyone else thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

What's everyone thinking about the S8 V S8 +? I'm torn I have s7 edge which I love the bigger battery in the plus is drawing me in but the size seems very big. What's everyone else thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

jones wrote: »

Maybe take a listen to the latest android central podcast, they talk s8 for a solid hour, general consensus at the end between the two was the regular s8 rather than the +.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Can't decide by screen size this time round.. the + screen size would only have been in phablets up to now, so will have to wait till I've held the s8 and s8+ before deciding.

Do any operators have dummy versions in their shops yet?

• Advertisement

Advertisement