Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You can read it whatever way you like. Were you there beside him at the time asking him why he did it?

That's the way I saw it.

Anyway, by your interpretation, he is trying to get the guy send off for something he didn't do....

either way....

Well I suggest you see it again. As per my first response, video link it.

On video, Keegan can clearly be seen mouthing the word punch while gesturing with the closed fist, but I suspect you know that.

And no, he's not trying to get him sent off, if he was doing that he would have gone down when Connolly threw the hand into his face. The punching gesture could be as much a defence of himself by pointing out that he was provoked, as it was an indictment of Connolly.

But keep seeing it your way, there's some bizarre need of GAA fans to feel hard done by these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Bambi wrote: »
    Ahem

397328.PNG

Unless Connolly has had sillicon implants then he ain't the reason his jersey is stretched out like that :D

What are you on about? They were holding each other's jersey way before this picture, why would you show a picture of connolly's hand in Keegan face as a defence of Connolly? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Blud wrote: »
    Ahem

397328.PNG

Unless Connolly has had sillicon implants then he ain't the reason his jersey is stretched out like that :D

What are you on about? They were holding each other's jersey way before this picture, why would you show a picture of connolly's hand in Keegan face as a defence of Connolly? Bizarre.
    what you are not showing there is Keegan trying to hit Connolly in the nuts. Here it is from the other side. Both are as bad as each other.

0b5aeb1f29bc44cc50520b85c70423e6e6506ba2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

MacAuley wasn't playing any other sport though, so that's pretty irrelevant. For example, in soccer, AOS would have been sent off for catching the ball at throw in, doesn't make it a sending off in football.

MDMA's incident was wild and looked bad, but not a sending off.

No, of course, a mid-air grabbing of an opponent around the neck dragging his head downwards to the ground on the descent is completely acceptable and not at all dangerous. We don't want our games to be like rugby where McAuley would have been off straight away. Things like eye-gouging and biting are also wild and look bad but are not sending off offences (if committed by Dubs) like they are in other sports because gaelic football is a 'man's game' .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Keegan and Connolly are just the new O'Leary and Galvin ?

?width=630&version=1133738

inph0715745.jpg

Paul%20gouge.jpg

Kerry-V-Cork-2013-09.jpg

inp00715724.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Debtocracy wrote: »
    Mayo were 3-4 points a better team than Dublin yesterday. The game was a draw because luck was on Dublin’s side – they got two fluky goals and Mayo converted none of their goal chances.
    /QUOTE]

What goal chances did Mayo have? Cannot remember any from yesterday can be easy to miss things

I would have thought Dublin missed the bigger goal chances

AGC wrote: »
    Jesus Christ how do people manage to go from incidents in the game to how they think Dublin control the GAA???

At first glance from the lower Hogan it looked like a bad challenge from MDMA as was O'Shea's hit on Cooper - on looking at replays last night neither were a red IMO and pundits from both sides.

You don't recall the Connolly fiasco last year or McMahon's pitiful one-league-game-in February-ban for the eye gouge on Donaghy? And are you seriously equating O'Shea's block on Cooper to the dangerous mid-air neck challenge by McAuley on O'Connor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Get a grip will you, there was no sending off offences yesterday and won't be any retrospective action as it was dealt with.

There were a number of striking offences. You have said so yourself. Striking is a sending off offence

If poor oul dermo's retaliation upset you I'd say you're furious about Leeroys two fouls before dublins first goal. You must be hopping that he wasn't sent off for those :)

Nope. You seem annoyed and rattled by what happened yesterday. It's great to observe that the fans are as easily riled as the players ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nope, Keegan didn't punch Connolly. And I didn't say he did.

Closed fist is a punch

Have a look in the OED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Debtocracy wrote: »
    Mayo were 3-4 points a better team than Dublin yesterday. The game was a draw because luck was on Dublin’s side – they got two fluky goals and Mayo converted none of their goal chances.
    /QUOTE]

What goal chances did Mayo have? Cannot remember any from yesterday can be easy to miss things

I would have thought Dublin missed the bigger goal chances

Andy Moran had one, hit it over the bar

Aidan O'Shea laid one off to (I think) Durcan who had the shot blocked by McMahon

Agree Dublin had more goal chances, although they did get 2 goals out of them

Aidan O'Shea laid one off to (I think) Durcan who had the shot blocked by McMahon

Cooper blocked it down I think

Mayo seem to be focusing on points this year, working well for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Not only did Dublin have goal chances, but there were so many easy point opportunities but they just kept over playing the f**king ball!!

I never screamed "take your f**king point" so many times during a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

You don't recall the Connolly fiasco last year or McMahon's pitiful one-league-game-in February-ban for the eye gouge on Donaghy? And are you seriously equating O'Shea's block on Cooper to the dangerous mid-air neck challenge by McAuley on O'Connor?

Are you omitting the challenge on Small where he was cleaned out of it by a Mayo player in mid air? O'Shea was not a block, the ball wasn't in play, he just cleaned Cooper out of it but as I have said none were red cards, same with MDMA.

Connolly should have been suspended last year - the GAA allowing ridiculous appeal processes is to blame there, any county would have gone the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Morans was a chance but it's stretching it to call Durcan's one a goal chance imo. If he could have managed to get it inside to Cillian, who was relatively free, it was a definite chance.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Nope. You seem annoyed and rattled by what happened yesterday. It's great to observe that the fans are as easily riled as the players ;)

Rattled? I'm relieved, we got out of jail against a better Mayo team...yet again. Through pure fluke..yet again. Sure how can a team be so unlucky..yet again :confused:

Are you omitting the challenge on Small where he was cleaned out of it by a Mayo player in mid air? O'Shea was not a block, the ball wasn't in play, he just cleaned Cooper out of it but as I have said none were red cards, same with MDMA.

Connolly should have been suspended last year - the GAA allowing ridiculous appeal processes is to blame there, any county would have gone the same route.

No, I didn't see Small beng grabbed around the neck in mid-air and dragged hurtling to the ground head first like McAuley did to O'Connor. You got one thing right, ball wasn't in play when O'Shea blocked theatrical Cooper but comparing that to what McAuley did is laughable. Connolly decision was bad, but the 'punishment' for McMahon for an eyegouge was utterly disgraceful as it sets a precedent that eyegouging is acceptable and the perpetrator can expect only a derisory slap on the wrist for it.

Rattled? I'm relieved, we got out of jail against a better Mayo team...yet again. Through pure fluke..yet again. Sure how can a team be so unlucky..yet again :confused:

Go talk to someone else about it. You're a riled little boy with your passive aggressive comments like above. Suppose its the natural reaction to not having everything your own way as usual. Funny to watch.

Still take Dean Rock over Cillian O'Connor "any day"?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian_80

...all gone very quiet on the "lets defend keegan" group after this pic!

Ian_80 wrote: »

No need to. Keegan has a Diarmuid Connolly sized pocket in his shorts which he uses to keep truculent showponies stored in during matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It must be so strange to be a Mayo fan today, you should be equally gutted, relieved and optimistic that the match ended in a draw.

If every Mayo fan was honest with themselves, they would be gutted that they had probably their best chance every to win an All Ireland. They needed Dublin to play well below their abilities, which they did

Relived to have come back after the game looked over coming into injury time and the fact that Dublin wasted some very scorable positions, Kilkenny, Cooper and Brogan.

Optimistic in that they have the belief that they can do it now, their defensive tactics were spot on and you could nearly say the weather was a 7th defender for them. There pressing was very impressive and Dublin could not work it closer to goal as Mayo packed it out around the D. The weather didnt suit to try longer range scores Credit has to go to the manager for that.

However, as most have commented, Dublin have the most improvement in them, Mayo also have improvement in them because up front they are still quite average.

But Mayo do have a chance the next day, if the planets align once again with an under performing Dublin and Mayos 7th defender coming from the heavens..

The hype will be massive out west for the next 2 weeks..

No proper comeback and then this "hiliarious" attempt at begin great craic.......ah mate, grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Go talk to someone else about it. You're a riled little boy with your passive aggressive comments like above. Suppose its the natural reaction to not having everything your own way as usual. Funny to watch.

Still take Dean Rock over Cillian O'Connor "any day"?

:pac:

in fairness Rock has been very good this year and I previously didn't think he'd even make it at the top level. Had a bad day on frees yesterday by his standards but he did kick a very good point from play near the end.

No proper comeback and then this "hiliarious" attempt at begin great craic.......ah mate, grow up

Ah, jaysus, bud, the Dubs are great men for giving it but cannot take it, can ye?

kilns wrote: »
    It must be so strange to be a Mayo fan today, you should be equally gutted, relieved and optimistic that the match ended in a draw.

If every Mayo fan was honest with themselves, they would be gutted that they had probably their best chance every to win an All Ireland. They needed Dublin to play well below their abilities, which they did

Relived to have come back after the game looked over coming into injury time and the fact that Dublin wasted some very scorable positions, Kilkenny, Cooper and Brogan.

Optimistic in that they have the belief that they can do it now, their defensive tactics were spot on and you could nearly say the weather was a 7th defender for them. There pressing was very impressive and Dublin could not work it closer to goal as Mayo packed it out around the D. The weather didnt suit to try longer range scores Credit has to go to the manager for that.

However, as most have commented, Dublin have the most improvement in them, Mayo also have improvement in them because up front they are still quite average.

But Mayo do have a chance the next day, if the planets align once again with an under performing Dublin and Mayos 7th defender coming from the heavens..

The hype will be massive out west for the next 2 weeks..

Mayo were 7 points up against Meath in 1996 in the second half of both the drawn game and the replay. That was our best chance to win an All Ireland. Yesterday was an escape job after gifting away 6 points in the first half.

in fairness Rock has been very good this year and I previously didn't think he'd even make it at the top level. Had a bad day on frees yesterday by his standards but he did kick a very good point from play near the end.

He bottled it yesterday.

I'm not too concerned, you'll be back under your rock in 2 weeks........talkin nonsense unti 1st and then silence.....its great, love the confidence......but you'll be AWOL on 2nd Oct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I have to say too that I am very impressed with Rochford. He looks like an excellent manager. I'd say he would love to have just one more scoring forward to balance the team out.

As for Gavin, there is a lot of video analysis to be done. There were some huge open spaces yesterday that Dublin didn't take advantage of and he will look to address that mentality.

I really hope the replay is a dry fine day.

A more interesting question is are there any pics from yesterday where Connolly doesnt have his hand wedged in Keegan's face?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Peist2007 wrote:
    He bottled it yesterday.

He'd a bad start. Then kicked a nice one just before half time and was ok after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement