Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Thanks for the info. Are the hospital placements and station placement happening during class times or during the 1 year internship? Are you more likely to get assigned a hospital near to your home?

It's two weeks in college doing your induction then a week in the road as an observer then back up for 9 weeks the your back out for hospital and ambulance placements for 8 weeks this is normally close to home, your back up then for two weeks for exam prep and exams then if you pass these your out on the road for 12 weeks on ambulance placements this normally close to home too, back again to college for 3 weeks exam prep, exams & PHTLS you normally have holidays after this awaiting your exam results assuming you pass your exams then you start your years internship(this can be anywhere in the country) there's also a 3 week driving course that has to be factored in its done at different stages with every class. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

medic780 wrote: »
    It's two weeks in college doing your induction then a week in the road as an observer then back up for 9 weeks the your back out for hospital and ambulance placements for 8 weeks this is normally close to home, your back up then for two weeks for exam prep and exams then if you pass these your out on the road for 12 weeks on ambulance placements this normally close to home too, back again to college for 3 weeks exam prep, exams & PHTLS you normally have holidays after this awaiting your exam results assuming you pass your exams then you start your years internship(this can be anywhere in the country) there's also a 3 week driving course that has to be factored in its done at different stages with every class. Hope this helps :)

That's a great breakdown thanks. I find it a little strange that they can send you anywhere in the country. I mean you could be living in Dublin and get assigned to Cork then you basically have to move there? That's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

That's a great breakdown thanks. I find it a little strange that they can send you anywhere in the country. I mean you could be living in Dublin and get assigned to Cork then you basically have to move there? That's not easy.

I'm sure there are enough hospitals in Dublin that you'd be accommodated close enough to home if you're a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Osgood wrote: »
    I'm sure there are enough hospitals in Dublin that you'd be accommodated close enough to home I'd you're a Dub.

I'm in Longford myself. Is there any possibility of getting assigned there nearby or is it all up to random selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

All due to which region needs staff most. Hint is in the name. NATIONAL Ambulance Service. No point stationing you in an over saturated area when there is hardly any in another area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Anybody know what areas have the biggest need for staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

stringbox wrote: »
    Anybody know what areas have the biggest need for staff?

I believe the south and west presently, Rumour has it that most of this panel will be deployed there, although I hope that is not the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

I believe the south and west presently, Rumour has it that most of this panel will be deployed there, although I hope that is not the case!

I have heard similar, there was a big intake during the 80's and most are coming up on retirement. Does anyone know if your number on the panel changes when places are filled? If you are number 20 on panel and 10 are taken off, do you move to number 10, or do you retain your initial number throughout? Obviously your next in line on the panel but does your order of merit number change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buffmeister

Is anyone getting documents notarised at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

I'm in Longford myself. Is there any possibility of getting assigned there nearby or is it all up to random selection?

For anyone who is successful, I would strong advise that you stop thinking about the possibility of being stationed locally. As another poster said it's a "National Ambulance Service" and given that the current transfer policy isn't working for existing paramedics, it's best to resign yourself to the idea that you will be posted to the location of 'need' not 'choice'. It can be very difficult for those with families, but that's the downside of this job, so please please don't be getting hopes up about getting lucky re your base location.

• Advertisement

Is there anyone looking for accommodation who will be doing the course in Tallaght? I'm interested in this. I know the pain of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

They throw a dart while blindfolded at the map of Ireland , and we're it lands is were you'll spend your internship.

They throw a dart while blindfolded at the map of Ireland , and we're it lands is were you'll spend your internship.

When you complete your internship, and if you are offered a permanent contract, do you usually stay around the station/ location you were in on inernship?

Hi there,
    There's no certainty around where you'll be based after your internship, it really is all based on the 'need' for staff. I know someone who was lucky enough to get the base where he did his internship...that said, because you are a new recruit you can expect to fulfil shifts at other bases at short notice to cover sick leave (of which there is A LOT!). So in effect you could be Tallaght today, Maynooth the next and Tallaght the next day. When you do get your base...work hard. Obviously the better you are at your job, then the less likely you are to be sent to another base...cos they will want you on their roster. If you make life difficult for people, then you can expect the same in return and could end up at a different base every other night. That said this obviously is only relevant for Dublin and Leinster where paramedic can move from base to base with relative ease (like journey time of an hour or so between bases)

flix1 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    There's no certainty around where you'll be based after your internship, it really is all based on the 'need' for staff. I know someone who was lucky enough to get the base where he did his internship...that said, because you are a new recruit you can expect to fulfil shifts at other bases at short notice to cover sick leave (of which there is A LOT!). So in effect you could be Tallaght today, Maynooth the next and Tallaght the next day. When you do get your base...work hard. Obviously the better you are at your job, then the less likely you are to be sent to another base...cos they will want you on their roster. If you make life difficult for people, then you can expect the same in return and could end up at a different base every other night. That said this obviously is only relevant for Dublin and Leinster where paramedic can move from base to base with relative ease (like journey time of an hour or so between bases)

Thanks for the reply, I know there can be a wait of a number of years to get a fixed roster, it wouldn't be too bad if you were to cover shifts with in driving distance of your initial base. My question was more based on the idea that you could be based in say cork, and were then asked to cover in Galway for a period, is this common place within the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Anybody do the medical yet?

What's in it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Purpledrapes

Hey!

Filling out the questionnaire they sent today.

They are really pushing for a current employer as a reference. I havent mentioned anything in work yet because they haven't sent out official offers or contracts yet! If they contact my manager that will be the first they've heard of me intending to leave and I'll be sacked.

Anyone else in the same boat and how are you getting around it ?

Thanks

Hey!

They are really pushing for a current employer as a reference. I havent mentioned anything in work yet because they haven't sent out official offers or contracts yet! If they contact my manager that will be the first they've heard of me intending to leave and I'll be sacked.

Thanks

Did you talk to the NAS about your concerns?

Osgood wrote: »
    Did you talk to the NAS about your concerns?

Couldn't get through today will have to try again tomorrow before the deadline.

Couldn't get through today will have to try again tomorrow before the deadline.

Do. I rang a few weeks back and they are very nice and helpful so hopefully they can put your mind at ease.
    The "current employer reference" was a worrying part of the form alright!

• Advertisement

Hey!

Thanks

Could you not tell your employer you have applied for a course, and this is what the reference is for? Then when time comes give your notice? At the end of the day your not telling any porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 karlospet

Any news for the next 32 training places?

Could you not tell your employer you have applied for a course, and this is what the reference is for? Then when time comes give your notice? At the end of the day your not telling any porkies.

Bit risky especially since you don't know what they'll tell my manager about the role or what questions they could ask. Don't want them finding out from someone else I'm trying to leave.

Bit risky especially since you don't know what they'll tell my manager about the role or what questions they could ask. Don't want them finding out from someone else I'm trying to leave.

Thought it might be a way around it. Did you give your current employer as a reference on the original application? Are they looking for you to get a written reference?

For those who are interested in a career in the HSE NAS, new recruitment just advertised. http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS04018.html

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Delighted there's another round of recruitment again this soon .! Best of luck to all who apply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

For those who are interested in a career in the HSE NAS, new recruitment just advertised. http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS04018.html

Looks like C1 is still a requirement. Tough break for those who sat on their hands or couldn't afford it.

Hey!

Thanks

Just something that may help. The way around this is to write on your form the following
    "As a courtesy to my current employer, May I request that you do not contact them without contacting me first"

This means you put down your employers details as a referee, but you put this statement beside it. This is standard and anyone working in HR will tell you that. I've coached people through this Paramedic process successfully, and we have done this. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

stringbox wrote: »
    Looks like C1 is still a requirement. Tough break for those who sat on their hands or couldn't afford it.

There's companies who offer C1 lessons now. I know of someone who got one all in for 550 euro; this was lessons, test, cost of licences and the medical.

It's not that much money anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Mycroft H wrote:
    There's companies who offer C1 lessons now. I know of someone who got one all in for 550 euro; this was lessons, test, cost of licences and the medical.

Mycroft H wrote:
    It's not that much money anymore.

As someone who has done lessons and booked test since last campaign in the hope to have licence when recruitment started again I can tell you it is expensive if u are outside the capital where these courses are offered!!

90min lesson: 90euro
    120min lesson: 120euro
    Absolutely beginner needs about 6lessons (600euro ish)
    Test: 130euro
    Lorry for test 170euro

And I had the provisional from before which is about 100 for theory book and test, and licence.

800-900 easily spent. I'm broke from it all but will be worth it when I become a paramedic, please God!!

Advertisement