Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

Okay so I can tell you that what you need to do here is put down the following:

Put down the names of your employers, but beside it write the following:

"Out of respect for my current employer, I would ask that you please notify me to before contacting them"

This is totally acceptable in this and nearly all recruitment practices. I can vouch for this in this situation as I have successfully coached 2 people into this paramedic course recently

Just got an email there, invited to apply for an interview!
    Just read the application and it asks for your current employer to act as a referee! I started a new job a few weeks ago so don't know how that will go down :-/

Please see my post below about this exact thing...hope it helps you!

Osgood wrote: »
    "Do we have to ask your permission before contacting your referees?"
    "HELL YA!"

So just to clarify. Your current employer does not necessarily have to act as your referee. When choosing your referee, think carefully about the one who can provide a reference which is most relevant to this trainee post. Also though consider if you have a significant length of service in a job, it would be strange not to have a referee from there. Your referee does not need to be a member of a senior management, but someone who can vouch for your work and personality e.g. a direct supervisor. Out of courtesy I would always recommend you check with a referee prior to naming them on a form. However in some cases this isn't always possible, so you need to guage the likelihood of them acting as a referee when you do get around to asking. Any more queries on this...please just ask...only too happy to help!

sjb25 wrote: »
    They are tricky I went trough it all in 2013 found the forms hard just do plenty of thinking about the compency examples you write as a good portion of the interview will be based on what you write you will be asked questions on it and asked to explain further and will be scored accordingly also is no harm having a second example of each in the back of your head as you could be asked for another example in interview

Folks this is the SINGLE most important part of this process. It requires a lot of time to get this correct. You need to do it hand in hand with the job specification and the competencies. All competencies must be 'hit' in your replies. You are correct when you say that the content of these forms will shape your interview. So you need to set yourself up for success in relation to this. Your competency examples need to be strong, direct, succinct and most of all...it's about what YOU did. Competency based interviews are designed to determine where your strengths lie and how you might behave in certain scenarios. If this section of your job preparation doesn't take hours and plenty of redrafts...then it ain't good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

flix1 wrote: »
    Folks this is the SINGLE most important part of this process. It requires a lot of time to get this correct. You need to do it hand in hand with the job specification and the competencies. All competencies must be 'hit' in your replies. You are correct when you say that the content of these forms will shape your interview. So you need to set yourself up for success in relation to this. Your competency examples need to be strong, direct, succinct and most of all...it's about what YOU did. Competency based interviews are designed to determine where your strengths lie and how you might behave in certain scenarios. If this section of your job preparation doesn't take hours and plenty of redrafts...then it ain't good enough!

This guys I got trough it but I had to put some amount of effort in it took me 3-4days at least to do that part of the form my hand was in bits writing must of had about 4-5 drafts from each competency spend as much time as you can doing them they are so important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

This guys I got trough it but I had to put some amount of effort in it took me 3-4days at least to do that part of the form my hand was in bits writing must of had about 4-5 drafts from each competency spend as much time as you can doing them they are so important

Some good advice here! However forms have been submitted, deadline was last Friday!!

Out of curiosity, sjb25, how long were you waiting to get an invite to interview, from the deadline of submitting the interview application?

So good advice here! However forms have been submitted, deadline was last Friday!!

Out of curiosity, sjb25, how long were you waiting to get an invite to interview, from the deadline of submitting the interview application?

Oh really? aw well, whats gone in has gone in. I would urge folks to take time to know your answers inside out, upside down and backways. You will be quizzed sideways on them. Remember if you haven't had an experience that they ask about...tell them what you 'would' do if you found yourself in that situation.

I'm happy to help if anyone wants a dig out. I know what a difficult road this can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Some good advice here! However forms have been submitted, deadline was last Friday!!

Was about a month if I remember correctly

Was about a month if I remember correctly

That long!! I'd say that was a killer. They say they expect to start interviews June 13th this time around, very short between stages. I have heard they could form a supplementary panel, due to low numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Well this time the wait wont be as long thankfully, just received an email stating invitations have been posted and should arrive by postal address tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Just received the same. Does everyone who submitted the application, after passing the tests, get invited for interview?

dmc36 wrote: »
    Well this time the wait wont be as long thankfully, just received an email stating invitations have been posted and should arrive by postal address tomorrow.

My thoughts exactly!! Got the same, good luck to ya with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Just got it, delighted!
    Anybody get shortlisted out?

Just received the same. Does everyone who submitted the application, after passing the tests, get invited for interview?

I would guess everyone got an invite, again due to low numbers, on less they sent back a blank application!

Anyone have an idea how many passed the testing stage? And how many went for it?

I would say to you at this stage...forget about the numbers applying if you can. Just keep your eyes on the prize....everything else is just a distraction. Practice your interview technique, get someone to do mock interviews with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

Did people get the letter today, I didn't?

mr ice wrote: »

Yeah I just opened it, it's a hell of a form, 25 pages.

I got mine.
    Did you get the email yesterday?

I got mine.
    Did you get the email yesterday?

Git the e mail alright.

• Advertisement

Git the e mail alright.

If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I'd be emailing them!

Did we hand in our Leaving Certs? Or did we get them back? I'm here searching frantically for it.

stringbox wrote: »
    Did we hand in our Leaving Certs? Or did we get them back? I'm here searching frantically for it.

They took it at the aptitude test. They give all that paperwork back on your interview date. I assume they send it back by mail if you weren't successful at aptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Hi there, does anyone know if there'll be a recruitment drive in 2017/2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

BadBannana wrote: »

From talking to folk in NASC, it's likely there will be another drive.

BadBannana wrote: »

Let's just say it will be more like June/ July 2016. From the grape vine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Another one that soon?

Do your c licence now.

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Another one that soon?

So they say, poor uptake in April, and small numbers going to interview, NRS have everything in place ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I was asking just because I won't be finished the leaving by then :l

Good luck to anyone applying this year though

Advertisement