Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

shaunac93 wrote: »
    As someone who has done lessons and booked test since last campaign in the hope to have licence when recruitment started again I can tell you it is expensive if u are outside the capital where these courses are offered!!

90min lesson: 90euro
    120min lesson: 120euro
    Absolutely beginner needs about 6lessons (600euro ish)
    Test: 130euro
    Lorry for test 170euro

And I had the provisional from before which is about 100 for theory book and test, and licence.

800-900 easily spent. I'm broke from it all but will be worth it when I become a paramedic, please God!!

Do you have the C1 now Shauna?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As someone who has done lessons and booked test since last campaign in the hope to have licence when recruitment started again I can tell you it is expensive if u are outside the capital where these courses are offered!!

90min lesson: 90euro
    120min lesson: 120euro
    Absolutely beginner needs about 6lessons (600euro ish)
    Test: 130euro
    Lorry for test 170euro

And I had the provisional from before which is about 100 for theory book and test, and licence.

800-900 easily spent. I'm broke from it all but will be worth it when I become a paramedic, please God!!

This fellow did it on a Merc Sprinter 515cdi (GVW of 5.5t). It's not a rigid lorry, just a big van.

Lessons were 80 euro a go. And the rental+lesson was 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

stringbox wrote:
    Do you have the C1 now Shauna?

Test next Wednesday so fingers crossed I'll be able to apply before closing date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Unfortunately I'm from the back arse of no where and only available vechicle is a big rigid hence prices are more!

Test next Wednesday so fingers crossed I'll be able to apply before closing date!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Hi guys :)

Current application form is looking for 2 clinical references. Can anyone tell me who is a clinical reference ? (I.e) an employer or ??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Hi guys :)

Current application form is looking for 2 clinical references. Can anyone tell me who is a clinical reference ? (I.e) an employer or ??

Not 3? I put my current employer, previous employer and the leader of a unit I volunteer with. Not sure what "clinical" means.
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Osgood wrote: »
    Not 3? I put my current employer, previous employer and the leader of a unit I volunteer with. Not sure what "clinical" means.
    Best of luck with it!

Yes I meant to say 3. Thanks for your reply and yes it's your employers I emailed them to make sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

24 training places offered for Ballinasloe, nearly half way through the panel already, fairly exciting. Interesting to see how long before Dublin takes in more for the next round....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

dmc36 wrote: »
    24 training places offered for Ballinasloe, nearly half way through the panel already, fairly exciting. Interesting to see how long before Dublin takes in more for the next round....

Well if they're starting at the end of September and the first stage is 3 months, that's probably the start of January for the next class. I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

mr ice wrote: »
    Well if they're starting at the end of September and the first stage is 3 months, that's probably the start of January for the next class. I'd imagine.

At least another class for Tallaght before end of the year, after that it will be March or April for the next, again second hand info, but hasn't been too wrong so far

At least another class for Tallaght before end of the year, after that it will be March or April for the next, again second hand info, but hasn't been too wrong so far

Where will they put them? How much space is in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

There's plenty of space to run two paramedic classes in Tallaght remember they won't always be in the building at the same time

As far as I know there is two rooms that can facilitate big classes, as was said they won't be in together, but I would say there will be an overlap with both classes. I am surprised that the ballinasloe class is so big, I had heard that they would only take 18, due to the amount of officers based there.

As far as I know there is two rooms that can facilitate big classes, as was said they won't be in together, but I would say there will be an overlap with both classes. I am surprised that the ballinasloe class is so big, I had heard that they would only take 18, due to the amount of officers based there.
    There's one big classroom that's spilt into two most of the time. There's plenty of breakout rooms and there's plenty of syndicate rooms also. Only issue is the canteen is very small so breaks would have to be staggered

Anyone looked at prices of digs around Ballinasloe? I'm in two minds wheather to apply for this or wait ontill Tallaght comes up, Tallaght is commuting distance for me. Anyone know take home pay while in the class room? I know you get some allowances while out on placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Anyone looked at prices of digs around Ballinasloe? I'm in two minds wheather to apply for this or wait ontill Tallaght comes up, Tallaght is commuting distance for me. Anyone know take home pay while in the class room? I know you get some allowances while out on placement.

You'd be mad to go for Ballinasloe when Tallaght is nearby for you and it will be up again in a few months.

I imagine you will get a room in Ballinasloe for €300/month.

What is the gross salary for classroom time?

toadfly wrote: »
    You'd be mad to go for Ballinasloe when Tallaght is nearby for you and it will be up again in a few months.

I imagine you will get a room in Ballinasloe for €300/month.

What is the gross salary for classroom time?

The cost of commuting would cost me more than 300/month, although I would be home every day.

The cost of commuting would cost me more than 300/month, although I would be home every day.

Bearing in mind a lot of study needs to be done can you afford an extra 10-15 hours a week in the car?

I don't know if I'll be called up tomorrow or not but thinking about it just in case.

Bearing in mind a lot of study needs to be done can you afford an extra 10-15 hours a week in the car?

I don't know if I'll be called up tomorrow or not but thinking about it just in case.

That's true, I think you would be more inclined to get stuck in the books if you were to stay in digs. What about you, if you were offered a place would you be travelling or staying?

• Advertisement

That's true, I think you would be more inclined to get stuck in the books if you were to stay in digs. What about you, if you were offered a place would you be travelling or staying?

Staying, two hours drive to Ballinasloe.

Staying, two hours drive to Ballinasloe.

I'm about the same distance, there is a place in athlone doing cheap accommodation, about 15-20 min drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi all. Congrats on getting through to this stage. I've been through Ballinasloe lately.
    Most twenty somethings who have just left home stay in the hotel, others got digs around the place. I got mine for 50 but I think the average price is 60ish. There's a few room up around there. My advice would be to stay in the hotel for the first two weeks. Have a chat with those up there there's a few people nearby that usually rent to students in the college , they may know of places nearby and you can go and see those places during the first two weeks and you have your place ready for the heavy 9 week block. A lot of us that stayed outside of the hotel used to do our study early on in the evening and then might have met up with others in the hotel to clear our heads and that.
    I think your take home pay while in the classroom averages about 360ish for s single person, obviously that changes if your married and your previous employment. You can see how only the young free and single can afford the hotel. Best of luck for those of you heading up over the next few months. It's heavy going at times but worth it in the end

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi all. Congrats on getting through to this stage. I've been through Ballinasloe lately.
    Most twenty somethings who have just left home stay in the hotel, others got digs around the place. I got mine for 50 but I think the average price is 60ish. There's a few room up around there. My advice would be to stay in the hotel for the first two weeks. Have a chat with those up there there's a few people nearby that usually rent to students in the college , they may know of places nearby and you can go and see those places during the first two weeks and you have your place ready for the heavy 9 week block. A lot of us that stayed outside of the hotel used to do our study early on in the evening and then might have met up with others in the hotel to clear our heads and that.
    I think your take home pay while in the classroom averages about 360ish for s single person, obviously that changes if your married and your previous employment. You can see how only the young free and single can afford the hotel. Best of luck for those of you heading up over the next few months. It's heavy going at times but worth it in the end
    You must be old and taken Adam :)
    All messing aside some good advice here folks it's a long and expensive time but it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

medic780 wrote: »
    You must be old and taken Adam :)
    All messing aside some good advice here folks it's a long and expensive time but it's worth it

No just a 20 something with a very big fondness for credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

adam88 wrote: »
    I think your take home pay while in the classroom averages about 360ish

Would this pay rate go much higher when you're on the road? Weekend/overtime allowances etc.

palmtrees wrote: »
    Would this pay rate go much higher when you're on the road? Weekend/overtime allowances etc.

Once successful and on the road you will get allowances, which will increase the basic considerably.

What's the gross plus allowances?

Mycroft H wrote: »
    What's the gross plus allowances?

As far as I have been told, the gross is around 30k after allowances etc, maybe someone from the last panel can give us a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Anybody starting in Tallaght on September course?

Advertisement