Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

As dmc36 asked, can anyone advise as to what is involved in medicals?
    normal enough pre employment stuff eyesight test and hearing test ( you get done at you're own cost and you bring the report with you) urine sample they take bloods measure height weight for bmi you fill out a questionnaire have a chat with the nurse that was it mine was done and dusted in about 20minutes

id no issues but I know some people there bmi was over a certain figure I can't remember the figure the had to complete the step test mentioned above also but they all past that test they had to get it done at there own expense tho

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Did anyone else hear when the classes would be starting, how many places are in each class or where the classes would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Osgood wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear when the classes would be starting, how many places are in each class or where the classes would be?

From what I've heard, although second hand info, there is at least 3 classes this year, starting July, being ran in both ballinasloe and Tallaght, can only presume there will be 24 students in each! Maybe someone else on here will have some definite info. For previous panelists on here, roughly how many of the offered places are actually accepted? i.e.: if some one is at place 36, could they actually be offered a place in the first class, due to people not accepting offers, or waiting on offers for a specific location?

could they actually be offered a place in the first class, due to people not accepting offers, or waiting on offers for a specific location?

Would anyone be brave enough to turn down a place, hoping to get a specific location??

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Just a quick question regarding the C1 licence. Does it have to be specifically a C1 or will they accept a C licence?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Just a quick question regarding the C1 licence. Does it have to be specifically a C1 or will they accept a C licence?

Thanks

The C licence is for a large truck so yes, it also covers the lighter (C1) trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

Would anyone be brave enough to turn down a place, hoping to get a specific location??

I'd say some would especially if they're based in the West or East. Money isn't fantastic so you have to box clever. I live within commutable distance of Tallaght and would have to think about uprooting to head to Ballinasloe.

I'm in the 70s though so don't need to make that decision soon.

mr ice wrote: »
    I'd say some would especially if they're based in the West or East. Money isn't fantastic so you have to box clever. I live within commutable distance of Tallaght and would have to think about uprooting to head to Ballinasloe.

I'm in the 70s though so don't need to make that decision soon.

I personally would have to seriously consider if I was offered a position in a class the far side of the country, based on the training allowance, cost of digs, living expenses, etc. I do know of a couple of people from the last recruitment that did not express interest in positions due to the same reasons. I would jump at the first offer, but at the end of the day I would have to consider the impications of costs involved, it is a big commitment.

Do you get allowances, i.e. Shift etc, on observational placements? And when back in the class room are you back to basic pay? Questions for the boardsies that have experience/ knowledge of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

I have a C licence and im on the panel, its the the next category up from C1.

dmc36 wrote: »

I have a C licence and im on the panel, its the the next category up from C1.

I also have C license and on the panel, C1 license covers up to 7500kg vehicle, C is for 7500kg +.

• Advertisement

Wow that was quick! 32 places in Tallaght offered already.

Wow that was quick! 32 places in Tallaght offered already.

I know very exciting, im in 100's so will be waiting a while. Can anyone confirm how many classes of 32 students can one college take at any one time?

Got the email as well. Did everyone on the panel get an email? I would have thought they would have only offered the first 50 or so the oppurtunity to express interest, or is that the norm, that everyone on the panel gets the email?
    I know very exciting, im in 100's so will be waiting a while. Can anyone confirm how many classes of 32 students can one college take at any one time?

At a guess I would say they would only run one class of 32 at any one time, couldn't see them running two or more at the same time, that would be next to impossible to run efficiently.

Does anyone know how many students ballinasloe can take per class?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Got the email as well. Did everyone on the panel get an email? I would have thought they would have only offered the first 50 or so the oppurtunity to express interest, or is that the norm, that everyone on the panel gets the email?

At a guess I would say they would only run one class of 32 at any one time, couldn't see them running two or more at the same time, that would be next to impossible to run efficiently.

Usually 24 per class but heard there increasing to 32 anybody taking this class in tallaght?

Does anyone know will there be a recruitment campaign in the near future again? Will there be one once the current panel has been exhausted or how does it work exactly?
    Just wondering and trying to get it straight. Just got my C licence and was late to apply this time

Cheers for the replies

Does anyone know will there be a recruitment campaign in the near future again? Will there be one once the current panel has been exhausted or how does it work exactly?
    Just wondering and trying to get it straight. Just got my C licence and was late to apply this time

Cheers for the replies

Apparently there is going to be another one this year (according to other people on this forum) so please don't quote me on that. Keep an eye on the HSE website, boards.ie and publicjobs.ie

:D Yes madmaxvideo, i didnt mean in the same classroom at the same time, I meant when the first class or group of 32 is on clinical placement the next group of 32 will be in. You said yourself (or your source said) 3 classes will be in this year in both colleges. It takes a full year to complete training so obviously 3 or more groups at different stages will be in training at once. All i was asking was how many groups can be in training at once.

Did anybody accept an offer for the Tallaght class in September?

:D Yes madmaxvideo, i didnt mean in the same classroom at the same time, I meant when the first class or group of 32 is on clinical placement the next group of 32 will be in. You said yourself (or your source said) 3 classes will be in this year in both colleges. It takes a full year to complete training so obviously 3 or more groups at different stages will be in training at once. All i was asking was how many groups can be in training at once.

Sorry I misread your post, I wouldn't have a clue how many at once, I would presume they try arrange the courses so that there is people out on placement when there is a group in class, as far as I know Tallaght has two rooms to cater for big classes, don't know about Ballinasloe.
    Did anybody accept an offer for the Tallaght class in September?

I emailed my interest, don't think I'm high enough to get this class. Anyone know how long it takes for NRS to offer positions, after expressions of interest?

[quote="madmaxvideo;100201399"

I emailed my interest, don't think I'm high enough to get this class. Anyone know how long it takes for NRS to offer positions, after expressions of interest?[/quote]

Formal offers came out this afternoon,

• Advertisement

Formal offers came out this afternoon,

That answers my question so. I didn't get anything off them. Anyone any idea of prices of digs in the west?

That answers my question so. I didn't get anything off them. Anyone any idea of prices of digs in the west?

The shearwater in ballinasloe does a good deal for ambulance service students, usually 50 Euro per night bed, breakfast, evening meal.

There is other spots also but I don't know much about them

The shearwater in ballinasloe does a good deal for ambulance service students, usually 50 Euro per night bed, breakfast, evening meal.

There is other spots also but I don't know much about them

50 per night?! I heard Maldron Tallaght was doing 90 per week.

50 per night?! I heard Maldron Tallaght was doing 90 per week.

Dublin is a different story altogether, don't know what deals nasc tallaght has arranged. 90 a week sounds too good to be true!

I got the deal nasc balinasloe got for students and it was well worth the money, we had access to the gym and pool etc....though there is limited places you need to book early.

Dublin is a different story altogether, don't know what deals nasc tallaght has arranged. 90 a week sounds too good to be true!

I got the deal nasc balinasloe got for students and it was well worth the money, we had access to the gym and pool etc....though there is limited places you need to book early.

Unfortunately too soon for me to book anything just yet! How many places are there per class in Ballinasloe? 32 like Tallaght or is it less? Which tends to fill places quickest?

Unfortunately too soon for me to book anything just yet! How many places are there per class in Ballinasloe? 32 like Tallaght or is it less? Which tends to fill places quickest?

18 per class seems fairly normal in ballinasloe the last while

The maldron tallaght is 45-50 per room per night as far as I remember most the lads/girls wee sharing so for the 4 days it was costing 90-100 a week think that's where the 90 figure comes from as I said I'm not sure on exact figures I didn't stay but I'd be fairly sure that 90 figure is sharing a room with somebody if you have nobody to share with you are looking at 200 a week and all of that is before lunch and dinner

Has anyone got an idea how the classes run everyday timewise? It a Mon-Fri class of does it change?

Appreciate replies,

Cheers

Has anyone got an idea how the classes run everyday timewise? It a Mon-Fri class of does it change?

Appreciate replies,

Cheers

While in tallaght it was Monday to Friday for all class time 10-6 on a Monday 9-5 Tuesday to Friday while out on placement depending on station shifts you may be doing 12 or 8 hour shifts same with hospital placements it depends on the hospital

sjb25 wrote: »
    While in tallaght it was Monday to Friday for all class time 10-6 on a Monday 9-5 Tuesday to Friday while out on placement depending on station shifts you may be doing 12 or 8 hour shifts same with hospital placements it depends on the hospital

Thanks for the info. Are the hospital placements and station placement happening during class times or during the 1 year internship? Are you more likely to get assigned a hospital near to your home?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Are the hospital placements and station placement happening during class times or during the 1 year internship? Are you more likely to get assigned a hospital near to your home?

Normally how it's done is 12 weeks in the school classroom 5x weeks hospital placement and then 4 xweeks ambulance then first exams
    Then 12 weeks ambulance placements then second exams then years internship mostly all placements are close to home ins the internship year you could go anywhere

Advertisement