Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bootsmayo

Anybody starting in Tallaght on September course?

I'm in that class two have you heard anything about contracts or anything in the last week or are they just waiting to get vetting back ??

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Gone awfully quiet around here! Quick question for anyone in September class, have medicals and that been done yet, if so, do you pay yourself and get it done or so they do it in house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Did anyone get an assessment date for Friday 19th August? What is the likely hood of being able to change the date/time of my test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an assessment date for Friday 19th August? What is the likely hood of being able to change the date/time of my test?

Just ring them.

stringbox wrote:
    Just ring them.

Emailed and the only day they are doing tests is the Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

Emailed and the only day they are doing tests is the Thursday!

Yeah that rules me out also unfortunately. They mustn't have received many applications!

palmtrees wrote:
    Yeah that rules me out also unfortunately. They mustn't have received many applications!

At the moment I'm out but will do what I can to make it!! Don't know when they'll recruit again so all hopes going on getting employed in this one (I know, I know, not asking for much am I )

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Wow only one day of testing ! I'm surprised at such low numbers... Good news though for those applying now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 catstango

Hey everyone. Anyone on here that's doing the assessment on August 18th unable to open the sample testing that were emailed today? The link only opening a webmail/account admin page. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

catstango wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Anyone on here that's doing the assessment on August 18th unable to open the sample testing that were emailed today? The link only opening a webmail/account admin page. Thanks in advance!

Copy the link text from the email and paste it in to the browser, it should work then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Wow only one day of testing ! I'm surprised at such low numbers... Good news though for those applying now :)

Reckon they did it too soon after the last recruitment. The main reason people wouldn't have made the last one is because of the C1 license. There's a 5 to 6 week waiting time for a test, plus a high enough rate of failure on it I reckon if you're having to do the C test so going through the process again etc etc. So all in all, 2 months probably wasn't enough of a gap for people to sort it.

Also, let's face it, for any of the more mature people wanting to switch careers and go into this, financially it's incredibly difficult as the salary is pretty low.

carav10 wrote:
    Reckon they did it too soon after the last recruitment. The main reason people wouldn't have made the last one is because of the C1 license. There's a 5 to 6 week waiting time for a test, plus a high enough rate of failure on it I reckon if you're having to do the C test so going through the process again etc etc. So all in all, 2 months probably wasn't enough of a gap for people to sort it.

Your probably right. After the last recruitment I booked my C test straight away, done lessons for the 6-7weeks while waiting and only passed last Wednesday week I.e 6 days before closing date of applications! And in saying that I already had my provisional. Don't think it would be fesiable to do theory test and driving test in the 2 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

carav10 wrote: »

Also, let's face it, for any of the more mature people wanting to switch careers and go into this, financially it's incredibly difficult as the salary is pretty low.

Yes I agree it's very soon if you had to sort licenses out took me a couple of months to get C1 & D1 done and also a good lot of money so to get it done in this sort time frame is quiet difficult. Also yes it is tough for mature students I'm lucky I'm younger and have no ties.

Guess I just expected more of an uptake since the April aptitude test had a couple of days of test and as far as I know a lot found them hard and didn't get through, which is the same way I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Has anybody got any insight to when the next round of Dublin training places will happen, or Ballinalsoe for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

dmc36 wrote: »
    Has anybody got any insight to when the next round of Dublin training places will happen, or Ballinalsoe for that matter?

Class starting September I believe I'd say next Dublin class will be November

dmc36 wrote: »

Next class, I hear, is due in November for Dublin, after that who knows, maybe early next year, Feb or March. How is pre employment going for everyone starting in September?

Anyone have any tips for verbal reasoning tests. I'm practising like mad last week but seem to be very hit and miss with scores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

Next class, I hear, is due in November for Dublin, after that who knows, maybe early next year, Feb or March. How is pre employment going for everyone starting in September?
    They gave three months notice in the other offers so if it is November I'd assume it would be coming out soon??

mr ice wrote: »
    They gave three months notice in the other offers so if it is November I'd assume it would be coming out soon??

I would expect we'll hear something by the end of the month.

[qoute=]"Anyone have any tips for verbal reasoning tests. I'm practising like mad last week but seem to be very hit and miss with scores!![/quote]

My advice, practice, practice, practice. Try a couple of different ways, read all the text then the questions, then maybe read the questions and note the key words and try pick them out of the text, the only way to improve is practice, maybe have someone else, friend etc, try them and ask how they approached it.

Anyone have any tips for verbal reasoning tests. I'm practising like mad last week but seem to be very hit and miss with scores!!

You should be able to get a few free tests that sites offer as a trial, the next step would be paying a subscription for the year. I used assessmentday.co.uk there was plenty of tests not just verbal but other logical/deductive reasoning tests. Other things you could be doing is reading something (newpaper articles or something with a lot of detail) as quickly, and more importantly, as accurately as you can especially the morning of your test ad days coming up to it to get your brain in gear.

I was the same as you, very hit and miss but eventually my results evened out, keep at it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know for the apptitude tests are you better off spending time on questions and maybe answer only 8/9 but get them right or answer all 12 and get a few wrong??

Does anyone know for the apptitude tests are you better off spending time on questions and maybe answer only 8/9 but get them right or answer all 12 and get a few wrong??

If you're stuck on one skip it, from what i remember some were easier than others. I went back to the ones i skipped to try them again, or tick what you think is the right answer and if you have time at the end go back and double check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 whatusername?

anyone else not knowing how to feel after the aptitudes???? lol

anyone else not knowing how to feel after the aptitudes???? lol

Totally!! Felt rules one went ok but verbal reasoning is soo hard to tell!

Totally!! Felt rules one went ok but verbal reasoning is soo hard to tell!

Ya same as that got mst of the rules no bother but like 28-30 of the verbal reasoning! So kinda confused about whats considered a good test and a bad one uknow???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 karlospet

Any news for november ?

Hey everyone, got an interview for the supplementary panel just wondering if anyone knows how many got through? People are saying was less than 100?? Also any advice regarding the interview would be very much appreciated!

Hey everyone, got an interview for the supplementary panel just wondering if anyone knows how many got through? People are saying was less than 100?? Also any advice regarding the interview would be very much appreciated!

I'm the same, would appreciate any advice, tips or information

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

Congratulations, did my interview earlier this year.
    1. Know about the job and the company.
    2. Know your examples well and have a spare for each.
    3. I don't think the story is the main part, it's the process you used that needs to be outlined and clearly explained.
    4. Have a question or two planned,

Feel free to pm me if you want more.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter how many are through to the interviews, concentrate on the interview stage when you get to it. As mentioned already, know all about the HSE, read up on their website, visit your local NAS station and get talking to paramedics. Try to bring that up in the interview, I wasn't asked directly but I wanted get it across that I talked with paramedics face to face.

KNOW YOUR EXAMPLES of being team player, problem solving/ decision making and coping under pressure inside and out, have 3 extra examples of each memorised.

Advertisement