Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Of course I'm for kids cycling to school as much as possible, but I gave an example of why some people would drive even to a local school (citing weather dependent issues amongst others), and got the reply of a raincoat.

And what's the problem with that reply?

If you genuinely are interested in health, you and your kids will be much, much healthier cycling - half the cancer risk, dramatic reduction in coronary issues, blood pressure, obesity, diabetes - issues that far outweigh a day off with the sniffles.

If you genuinely are interested in health, you and your kids will be much, much healthier cycling - half the cancer risk, dramatic reduction in coronary issues, blood pressure, obesity, diabetes - issues that far outweigh a day off with the sniffles.

What a load of absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Had this discussion on other threads, we get more rain, and more often, than most other European cities.

If it's lashing rain, you want your kid to be dry, not catch a cold, spreading to the rest of the family and having to deal with that (maybe needing to take time off work).

It may well be negligible and rare, but if you are one with a suffering kid, or other kids, having to burn holiday, then it's not negligible. With the trend of both parents now working, it's not as easily managed as in the past.

Of course I'm for kids cycling to school as much as possible, but I gave an example of why some people would drive even to a local school (citing weather dependent issues amongst others), and got the reply of a raincoat.

We do. Like I said, rain is recorded on many days in Ireland but is rarely constant or even that heavy. Getting drenched whilst cycling to and from work was really rare. Over the winter, less than five times. Easily. I’m not exaggerating. It often looks like it’s going to rain more than it actually does. And as Bannasidhe said, light rain won’t soak a properly dressed child who is walking 200m from a better spot for their parent to drop them off.

I grew up getting school buses in the west of Ireland countryside (another statistically wet part of the country). In primary school, I was lucky that the school bus went right by our house. Most kids would have to do a bit of walking to get to their bus pick up point. They dressed for the weather. When I started secondary school, I then had a 300-400m walk to my pick up point. I... dressed for the weather. I’m sure rural kids are still doing the same now. And again, like with cycling in Cork, drenchings were rare. The drizzle and light rain was really easy to deal with. And presumably still is. Dropping children off right at the gates because of those kind of conditions is truly precious stuff. Torrential rain, storms, lightning, heavy snow, ice and hailstorms - fair enough. But we don’t get any of those very often. Yup, even heavy rain. Heavy rain comes in shower form generally and it’d be very unlucky indeed for those times to regularly coincide with either end of the school day. Between my school and work cycling experiences in statistically some of the wettest parts of the country, I feel confident in saying all of this.

Also, I’m pretty sure there’s no link between getting wet and catching a cold.

Wait - let me guess - this peer reviewed research is more of that 'propoganda' right?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/cycling-to-work-cuts-risk-of-heart-disease-and-cancer-by-almost-half-35637612.html

Have you considered bringing any facts or evidence to the debate, rather than just opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah, Nox, it's well known that kids that cycle, walk, scoot & skate to work are stronger, fitter and healthier than kids that get driven everywhere. I have kids and another one on the way, so I'm more experienced in this field than you are.

My advice to yourself and anyone else locked in to a carbon lifestyle with a heavy reliance on cars (if you decide to have kids) is to park a kilometer from the school and cycle/scoot/skate the rest of the way.

Good for your, good for the kids, good for the gridlock caused by lazy parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, I’m pretty sure there’s no link between getting wet and catching a cold.

This.
    No connection.
    Getting frost bite or being hypothermic will increase your risk of infection. Getting a bit wet, nope.
    Also rain gear is extremely effective, inexpensive and breathable, these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Had this discussion on other threads, we get more rain, and more often, than most other European cities.

If it's lashing rain, you want your kid to be dry, not catch a cold, spreading to the rest of the family and having to deal with that (maybe needing to take time off work).

It may well be negligible and rare, but if you are one with a suffering kid, or other kids, having to burn holiday, then it's not negligible. With the trend of both parents now working, it's not as easily managed as in the past.

They won't catch a cold from getting wet. The common cold is caused by various viruses, not by being caught in a shower / having a bath / going for a swim.
    If you're still worried about it, or by the fact that a child might be stuck in wet clothes for an hour or so, then a raincoat is the answer so nothing at all wrong with that posters reply !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This.

Also rain gear is extremely effective, inexpensive and breathable, these days.

The rain gear Lidl do for kids is incredible. Myself, SO, and grand-daughter got caught in an absolute downpour in Allihies.
    Myself and SO in our expensive raingear were soaked. Granddaughter in her Lidl gear. Bone dry. Wish they did them in adult sizes. I could live with the general rainbow colours theme given the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The rain gear Lidl do for kids is incredible. Myself, SO, and grand-daughter got caught in an absolute downpour in Allihies.
    Myself and SO in our expensive raingear were soaked. Granddaughter in her Lidl gear. Bone dry. Wish they did them in adult sizes. I could live with the general rainbow colours theme given the quality.

@Bannasidhe what is 'SO'?

Significant other, I'd guess.
    Took me a little while to work out.

• Advertisement

Significant other, I'd guess.
    Took me a little while to work out.

What beer rev said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Keep an eye out for when they have hiking and walking stuff in. I have a jacket and packaway poncho from lidl and can't fault them, the poncho even fits over my backpack and keeps me dry on a 20min walk to work in a downpour. They had offers twice over the last few weeks so some stores may still have stock. Unfortunately their hiking and over trousers are too long for my tiny legs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Yup, parking with all 4 wheels on the footpath has become a thing. See it all the time at the start of Pope's Quay and in Blackpool too. Cornmarket St / Coal Quay drives me mad every weekend. Bike lanes seem to be fair game too.

You're not supposed to park ANY part of your car on a footpath, whether two wheels or four. Yet it's the norm here, including on the road where I live.

Ciaranis wrote: »
    You're not supposed to park ANY part of your car on a footpath, whether two wheels or four. Yet it's the norm here, including on the road where I live.

I must admit many years ago I got clamped for doing just that. My elderly mother was being admitted to the South Infirmary and was frankly freaking out so I dropped her at the gate and shot down one of the side roads and parked as fast as I could.
    When I got back to the car the clampers were there releasing another car so I just phoned up, paid the fine, and they took the clamp off. Guy was amazed that I didn't argue, swear at him etc but sure I was in the wrong. He even gave me the details of how I could appeal but as I said. I was 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Bannasidhe wrote:
    I must admit many years ago I got clamped for doing just that. My elderly mother was being admitted to the South Infirmary and was frankly freaking out so I dropped her at the gate and shot down one of the side roads and parked as fast as I could. When I got back to the car the clampers were there releasing another car so I just phoned up, paid the fine, and they took the clamp off. Guy was amazed that I didn't argue, swear at him etc but sure I was in the wrong. He even gave me the details of how I could appeal but as I said. I was 100% in the wrong.

I'm sure he found your attitude refreshing! And frankly, I think a bit more discretion from clampers towards drivers in obviously high-stress situations would be no harm either. Although sometimes I suppose it's hard to know who's being genuine and who's spinning a yarn to try and get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This stuff is completely overblown. It's nearly 4 weeks since kids went back to school, and there was one day that it was raining to the point I drove mine instead of walking or scooting to the school. It really doesn't rain that much - this excuse is a just that, and excuse to stay in your car. In reality, the vast majority of days it doesn't rain at school times. Today is a gorgeous day, and yet the SUVs were queueing up at the school as usual.

Also the old wives tale of getting wet equals getting a cold is complete nonsense.

Ciaranis wrote: »
    I'm sure he found your attitude refreshing! And frankly, I think a bit more discretion from clampers towards drivers in obviously high-stress situations would be no harm either. Although sometimes I suppose it's hard to know who's being genuine and who's spinning a yarn to try and get off.

The howling from people illegally parked when they get caught is ridiculous. You really couldn't be listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nah. Wouldn't even bother with someone that wants to defend a scumbag.
    +1 to ignore.

I'm devastated.

John_Rambo wrote: »

My advice to yourself and anyone else locked in to a carbon lifestyle with a heavy reliance on cars (if you decide to have kids) is to park a kilometer from the school and cycle/scoot/skate the rest of the way.

Good for your, good for the kids, good for the gridlock caused by lazy parents.

No thanks, total waste of time sure who has the time for it? I live in the country too remember and the locals school is only 2km away perfect for a quick drop off on the way to work, you could park a jet in the drive there is so much space none of this rubbish of no space to pull in like city schools.

Plenty of exercise to be had on the farm no need to be wasting time going to work.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    is a gorgeous day, and yet the SUVs were queueing up at the school as usual.

Because most people are not driving to the school especially they are doing so on the way to work along with most people being too far to make a walk practical time wise.

Because most people are not driving to the school especially they are doing so on the way to work along with most people being too far to make a walk practical time wise.

You mean they're lazy. They could park 500m from the school and walk. It would be quicker than sitting in traffic waiting for the perfect spot outside the door of the school to park in. The excuses are mounting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

No thanks, total waste of time sure who has the time for it? I live in the country too remember and the locals school is only 2km away perfect for a quick drop off on the way to work, you could park a jet in the drive there is so much space none of this rubbish of no space to pull in like city schools.

Plenty of exercise to be had on the farm no need to be wasting time going to work.

Am, this is the Cork"city" forum, you're a bit lost. This explains why everything you've said up to now is BS.

Waste of time? Bikes are faster than cars stuck in traffic on most journeys. They are generally predictable, with little variation resulting from traffic or weather.

That sounds like a huge waste of space at the school though - large amounts of space dedicated to parking used for five minutes each morning and evening. Shouldn't they be putting that space to good use?

Most people are doing journeys of less than 4km, distances that are easily walked or cycled.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451

Waste of time? Bikes are faster than cars stuck in traffic on most journeys. They are generally predictable, with little variation resulting from traffic or weather.

That sounds like a huge waste of space at the school though - large amounts of space dedicated to parking used for five minutes each morning and evening. Shouldn't they be putting that space to good use?

They have more than enough space, school has very large grounds. Also where cars pull in is either along the area outside the school wall where a big layby was left for cars or inside the walls which is part of the play ground during the school day when the gates are closed.

Most people are doing journeys of less than 4km, distances that are easily walked or cycled.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451

Even if true, which it isn’t for many 4km is way to far to be walking to work and too far for cycling too. I certainly wouldn’t do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They have more than enough space, school has very large grounds. Also where cars pull in is either along the area outside the school wall where a big layby was left for cars or inside the walls which is part of the play ground during the school day when the gates are closed.

Even if true, which it isn’t for many 4km is way to far to be walking to work and too far for cycling too. I certainly wouldn’t do it.

Again, you're in the wrong forum I'd say: start this thread in the county forum by all means.
    The thread itself is called "Illegal parking in city".
    Your rural school with its large space dedicated to cars obviously doesn't factor in such a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No thanks, total waste of time sure who has the time for it?

Well, you according to your many posts telling us all how you don't have to be in work till ten so you can avoid traffic.
    I live in the country too remember and the locals school is only 2km away perfect for a quick drop off on the way to work, you could park a jet in the drive there is so much space none of this rubbish of no space to pull in like city schools.

Aside from this thread dealing with a city parking issue the living in the country excuses are wearing thin. Rural obesity is an issue now. It may be too late for yourself, but kids getting themselves to school under peddle or foot power are stronger, fitter, healthier and are quicker to learn.

Is the Council doing anything for World Car Free Day on Sunday? Have heard nothing so assume not. Jaysus, they are fcuking useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Is the Council doing anything for World Car Free Day on Sunday? Have heard nothing so assume not. Jaysus, they are fcuking useless.

They'll be all tired out from Culture night tonight - can't expect them to support something like "car free" day so soon.

Extinction Rebellion are apparently stopping non-permitted traffic from entering Patrick's Street on Sunday afternoon if you want something to watch

https://www.facebook.com/events/2549458532007334/

What an awful waste of space - a layby used for five or ten minutes each morning and evening. Could the school really not find any better use for the space?

And as for parental cars driving through the playground and parking there? Are they insane?

Apart from risk of injury, they are choking the kids to death.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/health/placenta-pollution-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Just to clarify - 4km would be about 40 minutes walk or 20 minutes cycle. What exactly is it about the 20 minute cycle that is too much for you?

And please do explain what exactly is untrue about the Census data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Extinction Rebellion are apparently stopping non-permitted traffic from entering Patrick's Street on Sunday afternoon if you want something to watch

https://www.facebook.com/events/2549458532007334/

Interesting, this is how they describe themselves

'Extinction Rebellion is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Which is why I said I’m all for kids cycling to school.
    Why can’t people read the basics.

Advertisement