Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The problem you have is that particular entrance for the car park was there long before the street was redeveloped and there was probably a legal reason why it was retained. I remember clearly when on street parking was 8-10 feet from the gates of that entrance. Bollards are most likely the only way forward. But then again vehicles including that of the city council and Lord Mayor park there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

vehicles including that of the city council and Lord Mayor park there as well

There ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Saw a traffic corps vehicle patrolling Alfred Street earlier. Moved on a vehicle parked in the cycle lane but didn't look like they gave out a ticket. It's a start but they need to be giving out plenty of tickets.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Saw a traffic corps vehicle patrolling Alfred Street earlier. Moved on a vehicle parked in the cycle lane but didn't look like they gave out a ticket. It's a start but they need to be giving out plenty of tickets.

People aren't paying the fines even when they are dished out, that's the thing, the level of compliance for fine payment is dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

namloc1980 wrote: »

Pointless if they don't bother ticketing offenders. These people are at it every single day on Alfred Street in particular.

• Advertisement

Pointless if they don't bother ticketing offenders. These people are at it every single day on Alfred Street in particular.

I mentioned it to you over on Twitter before about Alfred street that people have this notion that because where the cycle lane is now situated was until recent years car parking spaces, and people feel entitled to park there as if the street layout has never changed. I know how much of an activist you are for change and in some cases I agree with you, but as you said yourself, if authorities won’t uphold or indeed break the rules themselves then what hope is there. I’d definitely be interested in seeing the parking situation there once construction is finally completed. Many of those are construction worker vehicles but we all know that Right Price Tiles drivers are your personal pet hate :pac:

I mentioned it to you over on Twitter before about Alfred street that people have this notion that because where the cycle lane is now situated was until recent years car parking spaces, and people feel entitled to park there as if the street layout has never changed. I know how much of an activist you are for change and in some cases I agree with you, but as you said yourself, if authorities won’t uphold or indeed break the rules themselves then what hope is there. I’d definitely be interested in seeing the parking situation there once construction is finally completed. Many of those are construction worker vehicles but we all know that Right Price Tiles drivers are your personal pet hate :pac:

Segregation would be ideal there tbh. Easy fix. Council aren't interested though. No money apparently. Its mostly private cars abusing the lane rather than construction workers to be fair - - although indeed, Right Price Tiles have a bad habit there.

Segregation would be ideal there tbh. Easy fix. Council aren't interested though. No money apparently. Its mostly private cars abusing the lane rather than construction workers to be fair - - although indeed, Right Price Tiles have a bad habit there.

Unless the Green Party get into a majority government or are the major party in a coalition i doubt it will happen (segregation), if it was to happen countrywide it's the costs involved, versus what they might make on issuing fines for those who decide to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Segregation would be ideal there tbh

The only solution, IMO. People will always pull in/park in these cycle lanes if given even the slightest opportunity. Always.

How expensive can it be to put down a narrow kerb with bollards every 2 metres or so :confused: The segregated cycle lanes on Washington St/Western Rd are probably the only cycle lanes in the whole city where people don't park because they physically can't.

The only solution, IMO. People will always pull in/park in these cycle lanes if given even the slightest opportunity. Always.

How expensive can it be to put down a narrow kerb with bollards every 2 metres or so :confused: The segregated cycle lanes on Washington St/Western Rd are probably the only cycle lanes in the whole city where people don't park because they physically can't.

I think the kerb on Washington street has led to personal injury claims from falls etc. End with the claims culture we have it’s a case of any excuse. Even the Gardai objected to the kerbing being installed.

• Advertisement

Unless the Green Party get into a majority government or are the major party in a coalition i doubt it will happen (segregation), if it was to happen countrywide it's the costs involved, versus what they might make on issuing fines for those who decide to pay.

Absolutely disagree with anyone who says there's no money for segregation. They should have been put in in the first place anyway - - look at what FG have just granted for a 20km Westport motorway. Quarter of a billion?

Money isn't an issue, segregation is cheap compared to most things Councils spend money on.

Segregation is the only option here. Gardai and wardens will never have eyes 24/7. As it is, they barely bother issuing fines and enforcing a 3 hour bus priority measure. But that's a whole other story...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think the kerb on Washington street has led to personal injury claims from falls etc.
    Urban legend as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

TheChizler wrote: »
    Urban legend as far as I'm aware.
    Urban legend started by taxi drivers that are annnoyed that there is a bicycle lane they can't park on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

There's more enforcement of illegal parking in Douglas than in the City center.
    Its a joke, especially on Sundays.....

There's more enforcement of illegal parking in Douglas than in the City center.
    Its a joke, especially on Sundays.....

Douglas is (or was) guaranteed to be busy everyday and the ground to cover is far smaller than Cork City centre hence it’s so attractive for fines. The wardens were initially employed by the county council so bar a change of title from county to city everything remains in place except revenue from a diverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think the kerb on Washington street has led to personal injury claims from falls etc. End with the claims culture we have it’s a case of any excuse. Even the Gardai objected to the kerbing being installed.
    Shocking - we'd better remove all those footpaths with kerbs urgently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I just saw a parking warden walk past a car which was parked illegally where the bollards are at the entrance to Tesco on Paul st. Sure the car had a parking ticket on the window so tis grand.... Car was parked illegally, he should have ticketed whether it had a parking ticket or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cars parked in the cycle lane on Mulgrave road again do they ever get ticketed.

Alfred Street was clear bar a taxi, I’ll upload it to my Twitter later.

Shocking - we'd better remove all those footpaths with kerbs urgently so.

If you tripped over the said kerb and injured yourself yourself so you wouldn’t be on the phone to your solicitor? Jolly good

• Advertisement

Cars parked in bus lane all along Bridge Street and McCurtain St.

Amazing to see drivers pull in without even a consideration to where they are parking. Not a bother to then. Is it complete ignorance or is that increasingly evident sense of entitlement?

Mardyke wrote: »

Amazing to see drivers pull in without even a consideration to where they are parking. Not a bother to then. Is it complete ignorance or is that increasingly evident sense of entitlement?

Sense of entitlement/lack of enforcement

If you tripped over the said kerb and injured yourself yourself so you wouldn’t be on the phone to your solicitor? Jolly good
    What's the difference between the bike lane kerbs and every other kerb in the city in terms of being a trip hazard?

Have you a reliable source for your claim about payouts, or is this disinformation being spread by taximen or others NIMBYs?

What's the difference between the bike lane kerbs and every other kerb in the city in terms of being a trip hazard?

Have you a reliable source for your claim about payouts, or is this disinformation being spread by taximen or others NIMBYs?

I don't engage with NIMBY's and just the one taxi man who does not discuss his work with me. The payouts feature in the general list of claimspaid by City Hall, if you want links then google is your friend. I won't come on here making spurious accusations, Based on your history here you like to engage in arguments, take it elsewhere i'm not interested so don't try and goad me with a silly reply as i won't entertain it.

Alfred Street today, no issue where and town was jammers with cars.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1185617719099613184

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There's no bus lane there on Saturdays.

The payouts feature in the general list of claimspaid by City Hall, if you want links then google is your friend.
    Google has zero reports of claims paid out due to trips on cycle lane kerbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

. The payouts feature in the general list of claimspaid by City Hall, if you want links then google is your friend. I won't come on here making spurious accusations,
    Google has zero reports of claims paid out due to trips on cycle lane kerbs.

No such list exists.in the public domain. You are making stuff up.

There's no bus lane there on Saturdays.

What?

I saw the bus lanes with my own eyes...

Do you mean to say the bus lanes that are fully functional during the week are not required at the weekend.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

What?

I saw the bus lanes with my own eyes...

Do you mean to say the bus lanes that are fully functional during the week are not required at the weekend.?

Yes they are bus lanes but look at the signs at the start of them: Bus lanes are in operation ~8;30-18:30 mon-friday, saturday not included. Public transport is a joke in Cork.

Advertisement