Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

May not be technically correct? It's flat out completely incorrect! Blue badges are issued to the person and can only be used when that person is in the car.

Absolute poppycock. Blue badges are used for free parking and parking in special places. You are 100% wrong. There is no requirement that the blue badge holder stays in the car while it is parked.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Allowing private cars (electric cars and blue badges) will go against this and clog pana back up again in years to come when everyone goes electric. They're hardly policing cars at the moment never mind look at the windscreen at moment to check to see if you have a blue badge. Car ban for one, car bar for all.

Hear Hear. Giving multiple exemptions to different interest groups would prevent any future attempt at enforcement by making it completely unenforceable. Don't agree that taxis drivers should be exempt either but at least they are visible. Guards would be terrified of stopping any private cars in case they had a blue badge holder and they would be accused of "attacking the disabled"

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

May not be technically correct? It's flat out completely incorrect! Blue badges are issued to the person and can only be used when that person is in the car - the exact opposite of your rant.

People take the p!ss with blue badges. I happen to know one person who has a blue on her car for her mother. I was actually in the car with her and she parked in a disabled spot, her mother was not with us. I called her out on it but she saw no harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Absolute poppycock. Blue badges are used for free parking and parking in special places. You are 100% wrong. There is no requirement that the blue badge holder stays in the car while it is parked.
    Christ man, obviously I don't mean the person needs to be in the car while it's parked up! The blue badge can only be used for 'special parking' when the car (any car) is being used to transport the person named on the badge - not used willy nilly by anyone in a specific car as you claimed.
    timmyjimmy wrote: »
    People take the p!ss with blue badges..
    Definitely. I've seen a welcome increase in enforcement of this on the Garda Twitter feed.

Christ man, obviously I don't mean the person needs to be in the car while it's parked up! The blue badge can only be used for 'special parking' when the car (any car) is being used to transport the person named on the badge - not used willy nilly by anyone in a specific car as you claimed.

Yeah. I was purposely misinterpreting to make a point. Blue badges do not have to be removed when the family member that got the badge is not in the car and the badge holder does not need to stay in the car and most badge holders do not have an obvious physical disabilitiy. So the only time the badge holder needs to be present is the exact moment that the car is being parked. And possibility not even then. What if the blue badge holder got out to direct the car into the parking spot
    Can you not see how ridiculous this could become if as the Greens propose cars with blue badge holders were allowed to break the Panaban. How would a guard be able to determine whether the blue badge holder was actually in the car that was driving in the Patrick Street bus lane?

Bear in mind this is all hypothetical. There is no enforcement of the Panaban at the moment so anyone including blue badge cars can break it with impunity. However if the Greens proposal is accepted it would never be enforceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Yeah. I was purposely misinterpreting to make a point.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If you're in town and stuck for parking there's handy spots right next to Paul Street. Just pull up on the pedestrian zone....be grand.

c_nqv73u0PMYri3qe5WResg7lSvZUnBoRiuDQEnuyR3vetvyd1lfmEZghg6d7gmoNcFKqWAECWEeQUlTCJsTwekj20mEaYxbFoLrrwh2Oy0qCKTqs9QhxOUZTJYOPllXjg5huFVMEkBpmCkaLvWBe6XrEyxYvtxQCfwNNguBH9dS7cyxng362DPanviV_yxIaXDhu5HLzJjravZ-6WYSpzVivEPYfFjgS-UnnaT6UeaYi3ocCw7BkCDYDz3qxs33fnqSA1oOgOo9FdvXIwqc-wihzAA4qFDICA5DOSUfWeTgG6tSj5jEvuAY-ducJyc1RYnmMHkGTwe16kYR_2acSc_js56cfEXDecsa-H0oIlmyx54rUbcPI5l0B7mI48QUxfkSCx-RtMyUGttH4khDx5GUVRFS-RCivaFTLjVG9xENpTQBYFjtR2GXieOmA02P99MGr7071XU-a5rhvOzObXgbmXsP-9Js3Va9lPJm973Mss-sR1qM531XxbY3SoMfmzuszqdqgC1ALK4KMYX0lXJSTd0H9LhKLYdYGnBRVt6IG8Ue2aF_hLLcwbgHoAYTo3TsyCbVBWTYtyiVt6vPsM3qNnpSOdgWp143AYKTv7ythAeeX3Hc8E4JzAyq3UL04RaErNlNNOQx6yiz0C-Gwt6Wb_XOCCIouBtLZl1R8kwoKselPMU64OA=w1084-h1441-no

Screenshot_20191028-100220.pngTraffic was a disaster at weekend. City center was full of people there to enjoy atmosphere and jazz and they had to have streams of cars driving through them. Wouldn't have been allowed in any other European city.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I'll for the life of me never understand why we maintain those few parking spaces on the narrow Castle St.

The priority given to cars in that area and the surrounds given the pedestrian volume makes no sense.

Don't understand why the council doesn't think of banning cars during the bank holiday from most of the streets right in the city centre such as Oliver Plunkett St., Cornmarket St., North Main St.

Given the ratio of cars to people in the city centre area its the equivalent of dedicating the hard shoulder of a South Link for cars and giving pedestrians all the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Completely agree. The decision makers have absolutely no desire to make the city centre better.

There should be no cars full stop on Daunt Sq, Paul St, Cornmarket St., Castle St..... Or anywhere inside the area bordered by South Mall, Grand Parade, North Main St, Lavitts Quay, Parnell Place.

Cars mounting footpaths should immediately be fined €250.

• Advertisement

Having live music and stalls on Emmet Place only to have the experience ruined by the volume of cars they let drive through the pedestrians that it attracted was ridiculous. Similarly crazy to allow traffic drive through the pedestrians on Paul Street and Peter and Paul Place. Having the busiest pedestrian Street in the city Oliver Plunkett Street open to traffic every evening is equally stupid.
    Still totally incredulous and dumbfounded that the Greens are arguing that these street have to be kept open to cars. Someone needs to take on the vested interests that want to keep Cork as one of the only European cities where the cars are ruining the city center experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

Having live music and stalls on Emmet Place only to have the experience ruined by the volume of cars they let drive through the pedestrians that it attracted was ridiculous. Similarly crazy to allow traffic drive through the pedestrians on Paul Street and Peter and Paul Place. Having the busiest pedestrian Street in the city Oliver Plunkett Street open to traffic every evening is equally stupid.
    Still totally incredulous and dumbfounded that the Greens are arguing that these street have to be kept open to cars. Someone needs to take on the vested interests that want to keep Cork as one of the only European cities where the cars are ruining the city center experience.

What's your beef with the Greens ? You keep on mentioning them wanting stuff without any links to exactly what they're looking for.

PreCocious wrote: »
    What's your beef with the Greens ? You keep on mentioning them wanting stuff without any links to exactly what they're looking for.

The Greens proposed last week that blue badge cars be allowed to break the Panaban and in order to ensure they had adequate access, streets that in my opinion should be pedestrianised like Emmet Place, Academy Street, Paul Street and Peter and Paul Place would have to be kept permanently open to vehicular traffic.

I was just flabbergasted that the very people that you would think would be in favour of a pedestrianised city center were instead the very ones that were working to ensure it never happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

This thread is the only place where I've ever seen so many people so consistently bewildered and outraged that anyone in this world might be existing without pedestrianised city centres being their absolute first priority, or with such an apparent inability to experience a quantum of pleasure with cars in the vicinity, to be fair. It's like a load of opposite noxes.

I'm kind of glad the Greens are less hardcore than y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's like a load of opposite noxes.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This thread is the only place where I've ever seen so many people so consistently bewildered and outraged that anyone in this world might be existing without pedestrianised city centres being their absolute first priority, or with such an apparent inability to experience a quantum of pleasure with cars in the vicinity, to be fair. It's like a load of opposite noxes.

I'm kind of glad the Greens are less hardcore than y'all.

I challenge anyone to feel a quantum of pleasure in the vicinity of a Qashqai, Juke or Sportage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I challenge anyone to feel a quantum of pleasure in the vicinity of a Qashqai, Juke or Sportage.

Oh I dunno, I saw one back into a bollard once :pac:

This was in about March of 2017 and it had a 171 reg because of fcuking course it did. During set up for a market, loads of people passing and I swear every fcuker who passed went "oooh, 171" or some variation and had a little smile.

So there's definitely a quantum of schadenfreude to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RINO87

Amazing!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Spotted this absolutely beautiful parking in town today on Lapp's Qy.

What a knob.

20191102-135648.jpg
    20191102-203343.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Off roading his XC90 hope he got a ticket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement