Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could land a plane on the plaza a few cars won't in any way him hinder your walk.

Do you have any friends or family with sight loss? Ask them about the bruised and cut shins they get from badly, selfishly parked vehicles.

Why should pedestrian areas be taken over for storage of private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Need bollards there like cornmarket street that car park is ridiculous alright an entrance and exit on 2 streets.

Do you have any friends or family with sight loss? Ask them about the bruised and cut shins they get from badly, selfishly parked vehicles.

Why should parking spaces be taken over for the use of private feet?

An area less than 1/4 the size of the area is more than enough space for pedestrians instead a load of parking space is taken over for nothing. Total and utter waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

An area less than 1/4 the size of the area is more than enough space for pedestrians instead a load of parking space is taken over for nothing. Total and utter waste.

Private feet? As opposed to public feet.....?

Forget it..... You're not the full Bob

Mardyke wrote: »
    Private feet? As opposed to public feet.....?

The point being why should you walking be more important than someone else’s parking? Giving excess space over to you for walking like in grande parade is considered a total waste by a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The point being why should you walking be more important than someone else’s parking? Giving excess space over to you for walking like in grande parade is considered a total waste by a lot of people.

Who are there "people"? Cities around the world have large open areas for people for a reason. The car centered mindset on Cork is incredible. There's precious few open areas for people to mingle as is and cars are given full priority as it is. But here we have you moaning that the poor car isn't getting enough priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The parking around St. Mary's on Pope's quay on Sundays is just ridiculous.
    Cars parked on double yellow lines all up John Redmond Street, cars parked with all four wheels on the footpath on Pope's quay. Cars abandoned on the road, blocking other parked cars. It's crazy and there is never, ever any enforcement.

Can you imagine the uproar if people left bikes in the middle of the street or strewn around on footpaths?

The sense of entitlement of people who park their cars illegally is staggering. But when there is zero enforcement I suppose they can feel entitled to do what they want and abandon their property at will.

Feet aren't property. They generally don't squat in area - they move through it fairly quickly, leaving it available for the next person.

Now back to my original question - why should public space be used for storage of private property? Why should the State subsidise private car ownership like this?

Feet aren't property. They generally don't squat in area - they move through it fairly quickly, leaving it available for the next person.

Now back to my original question - why should public space be used for storage of private property? Why should the State subsidise private car ownership like this?

Ha ha subsidise, car owners contribute far more than their fair share through the numerous taxes they pay related to their car so the absolute least that should be provided is good roads and parking neither of which are a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ha ha subsidise, car owners contribute far more than their fair share through the numerous taxes they pay related to their car so the absolute least that should be provided is good roads and parking neither of which are a lot of the time.

It's the other way around Nox. Each year the motor tax receipts are supplemented by an exchequer contribution, sometimes more than 30%. The fund is used primarily to finance regional and local roads.

Motorways are for cars and motorways are expensive.
    Cities are for people. And the people are subsidising the motorways.
    Stop parking illegally, pedestrians and cyclists don't park on the motoroway.

Ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's the other way around Nox. Each year the motor tax receipts are supplemented by an exchequer contribution, sometimes more than 30%. The fund is used primarily to finance regional and local roads.

Motorways are for cars and motorways are expensive.
    Cities are for people. And the people are subsidising the motorways.
    Stop parking illegally, pedestrians and cyclists don't park on the motoroway.

Ha ha.
    If you want to go down that route, then also include the income from all the businesses that pay taxes and wages from the benefit of the motorway system, all into the exchequer. It's a handy profit to the exchequer for that outlay.
    Cities are for people
    And many of those people have cars.
    I'm all for stopping people parking illegally, it's the benefit to drivers as well. But people who dumb down the argument with "Cities are for people" don't speak for all the "people".

Really? Have you done much research on this?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/01/24/motorists-should-pay-full-costs-of-road-pollution-deaths-and-damage-says-eu-transport-commissioner/#3917c36a2c0b

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you want to go down that route, then also include the income from all the businesses that pay taxes and wages from the benefit of the motorway system, all into the exchequer. It's a handy profit to the exchequer for that outlay.

And many of those people have cars.
    I'm all for stopping people parking illegally, it's the benefit to drivers as well. But people who dumb down the argument with "Cities are for people" don't speak for all the "people".

All modern cities are moving towards prioritising pedestrians, public transport and cyclists over the private car. You're correct, the carless city idea doesn't speak for the people, but it does speak for the good of the people.

And most Irish people don't know what's good for them. Just look at your local school in the morning where people are terrified to walk 100 metres.

Nonsensical propaganda.
    All modern cities are moving towards prioritising pedestrians, public transport and cyclists over the private car. You're correct, the carless city idea doesn't speak for the people, but it does speak for the good of the people.

What the vast majority of people want is want should be provided and the vast majority want to be able to drive into cities and park close to their destination. The few anti-car opinions should be consigned to the dust bin where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well everybody wants a functional city centre that's not gridlocked and fumey and awkward to get around. You just can't achieve that by pouring more and more cars into the same space. Everyone can keep driving into town and parking up 30 seconds from where they need to be if we halt and reverse population growth.

Also nox, the people you know doesn't constitute "everyone". You appear to have a social group with a remarkable degree of consensus which is great but you always assume they're representative.

I live on the Douglas Road, during the winter I was getting the bus home from town at rush hour. Traffic was absolutely gridlocked, I got the bus driver to let me out about a kilometre from my stop because it was going to be quicker to walk. Out of curiosity because of how bad the traffic was I looked in the cars as I was passed. In that kilometre stretch of bumper to bumper, at least 70% of the cars were occupied only by the driver, when you took ones with kids in the back out of the equation that jumped to over 90%. There's just no way all those people NEEDED to drive, or couldn't have car pooled.

Nobody has a god given or moral right to drive like. Unless those of us who can use public transport or walk do so cities are going to get less pleasant and less efficient for everyone. Bus eireann is brutal and loves blaming the traffic for everything but the bare fact is the fewer cars on the road, the less traffic for everyone. That's not opinion or ideology, it's maths.

"I don't want to walk five minutes to the bus carrying my bags" or "it's raining" aren't have to drive situations, they're want to drive situations.

I agree about school pick up times too, that primary school beside the Briar Rose pub is a sight to see. Fcuk your double yellow lines, fcuk your one way street, fcuk you blocked in your driveway, I actually HAVE TO park here? Because what am I supposed to do, pull into the car park? Do you expect Sadhbh and Fiachra to actually WALK?

The local schools where I live are an absolute joke morning and evening. SUVs pulled up on footpaths, Diesel and petrol fumes being spewed out while the kids inside are driven to the front door of the school. God forbid they might walk and use their legs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well everybody wants a functional city centre that's not gridlocked and fumey and awkward to get around. You just can't achieve that by pouring more and more cars into the same space. Everyone can keep driving into town and parking up 30 seconds from where they need to be if we halt and reverse population growth.

Also nox, the people you know doesn't constitute "everyone". You appear to have a social group with a remarkable degree of consensus which is great but you always assume they're representative.

I live on the Douglas Road, during the winter I was getting the bus home from town at rush hour. Traffic was absolutely gridlocked, I got the bus driver to let me out about a kilometre from my stop because it was going to be quicker to walk. Out of curiosity because of how bad the traffic was I looked in the cars as I was passed. In that kilometre stretch of bumper to bumper, at least 70% of the cars were occupied only by the driver, when you took ones with kids in the back out of the equation that jumped to over 90%. There's just no way all those people NEEDED to drive, or couldn't have car pooled.

Nobody has a god given or moral right to drive like. Unless those of us who can use public transport or walk do so cities are going to get less pleasant and less efficient for everyone. Bus eireann is brutal and loves blaming the traffic for everything but the bare fact is the fewer cars on the road, the less traffic for everyone. That's not opinion or ideology, it's maths.

"I don't want to walk five minutes to the bus carrying my bags" or "it's raining" aren't have to drive situations, they're want to drive situations.

I agree about school pick up times too, that primary school beside the Briar Rose pub is a sight to see. Fcuk your double yellow lines, fcuk your one way street, fcuk you blocked in your driveway, I actually HAVE TO park here? Because what am I supposed to do, pull into the car park? Do you expect Sadhbh and Fiachra to actually WALK?

I grew up slap bang between Eglantine School (the one near Briar Rose) and St Anthony's in Ballinlough - my mother still lives there - and it's a nightmare trying to get to or from her house at school start/finish times. Narrow suburban roads reduced to one lane, people pulling out seemingly without looking - certainly not indicating! Parked on corners. It's a blood pressure increasing pain.
    It's actually gotten a bit better recently near the schools themselves but it's insane by the Japanese gardens. Cars parked on every corner. It's impossible to see when trying to pull out onto Nursery Drive from Ardfallen. Near the Montessori school on the corner of Ardfallen nr Englantine school is another accident waiting to happen.

Where do people expect those doing school drop offs to park when there isn’t any suitable facilities at the schools?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Where do people expect though doing school drop offs to park when there isn’t any suitable facilities at the schools?

Most schools are parish based which begs the question why do people need to drive to the local school? What is wrong with walking?

But for those who do:
    First off - not begin parking over half an hour before the school opens/finishes.
    Secondly - observe the parking laws. Under no circumstances is it either legal or safe to park on a corner.
    Thirdly - Find a safe and legal space within walking distance. There is no need to park as close to the school as possible.

As I said, I grew up near those schools I mentioned but I didn't go to them. I went to school in town and got the bus. Both of the schools I named are close to bus routes for those who do not live in the parish.

• Advertisement

Bus stop across the road from the school gates and another one ten metres up the road.

If there are no suitable, legal parking spaces two feet from the school then you don't park there. You find the nearest suitable place and you walk for 90 goddamned seconds. If you see a street you could park on but it's illegal to turn on to it from that direction, you don't turn on to it.

I've to go do a grocery shop after work. Now I'm going to want to get my shopping home quickly, but there'll probably be a queue. I guess I'll just stroll past the queue and out of there with it though because what am I expected to do when the law and consideration of the people around makes it mildly inconvenient to do what I want? Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where do people expect those doing school drop offs to park when there isn’t any suitable facilities at the schools?

I went to work late, the other day so I encountered the school morning traffic at a school I pass.
    I was stopped for about 5 minutes while people tried to turn right into the school drop off area. Thing was, there was no where for the cars turning right to go, so instead of moving on, they just waited until a space cleared, then turned right into that space. Everyone else using the road, just had to wait behind them as there wasn't room to pass to the left of them. Everyone has to wait because I want to stop directly outside the school.

About 200 metres down the road was a hard shoulder with space for about six cars to park. Guess how many people used this??
    Not one.
    People would prefer to block up a road in both directions than walk 200 meters.
    We are fcuked.

Why would you expect schools to provide you with storage facilities for your private property?

What the vast majority of people want is want should be provided and the vast majority want to be able to drive into cities and park close to their destination.
    This can't continue to happen. Slowly we are seeing more housing properties being proposed and hopefully built in the city. With more people in the city, and working in the city, you want to make it more "friendly" (for a lack of a better word) for those people. It'd be total gridlock otherwise.
    Some people will have to drive into the city, no way around that. For those that don't, you encourage people to use public transport (i.e if you'll be working in the docklands, and coming from East Cork, you park in Carritwohill/LittleIsland and get the train in). There's lots to be done in that area (and others such as a North Ring road) before that can happen, but that is the end goal, which actually benefits those who do have to drive.
    The few anti-car opinions should be consigned to the dust bin where they belong.
    You'll always get some who see some utopia where cars are a thing of the past, and are ignorant to the affect that would have for many. But similarly you can't have everyone drive to their work/school location in a city that is increasing in population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Bus stop across the road from the school gates and another one ten metres up the road.

If there are no suitable, legal parking spaces two feet from the school then you don't park there. You find the nearest suitable place and you walk for 90 goddamned seconds. If you see a street you could park on but it's illegal to turn on to it from that direction, you don't turn on to it.

I've to go do a grocery shop after work. Now I'm going to want to get my shopping home quickly, but there'll probably be a queue. I guess I'll just stroll past the queue and out of there with it though because what am I expected to do when the law and consideration of the people around makes it mildly inconvenient to do what I want? Huh?

You'd be surprised how many junior infants there are these days coming from the likes of Maryborough. Parents originally came through the schools and grandparents address used. Can't really fire them on the bus at that age (even though there's probably a direct one one that goes through Douglas but certainly not St Anthony's or Lady of Lourdes). Its traffic from that direction that seems to cause the biggest issue with queues and parking.

I'm not defending it (I'm near the Silver Key and mine walk to Douglas Com & Regina Mundi) but as a parent in Mary Borough you'd have no option to drive.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Most schools are parish based which begs the question why do people need to drive to the local school? What is wrong with walking?
    They may drive:
    Because the child is too young to walk by themselves.
    Because of weather related issues.
    Because they are on the way to work themselves.
    Because they have other kids to drop to other schools, child minder, creche, etc

I'm not saying the above covers all eventualities, and many could (and do) walk to the schools. There's no excuse for some of the parking you see at some schools, but many people have no idea(and no understanding) of what is involved in the morning rush when you do have kids.

You'd be surprised how many junior infants there are these days coming from the likes of Maryborough. Parents originally came through the schools and grandparents address used. Can't really fire them on the bus at that age (even though there's probably a direct one one that goes through Douglas but certainly not St Anthony's or Lady of Lourdes). Its traffic from that direction that seems to cause the biggest issue with queues and parking.

I'm not defending it (I'm near the Silver Key and mine walk to Douglas Com & Regina Mundi) but as a parent in Mary Borough you'd have no option to drive.

When you've no option but to drive then drive, that's grand. But if they've driven from Maryborogh hill would it kill them to drive two bloody minutes more and walk the kids back to the (legally) parked car? And a lot of it is the ones who get there a half hour beforehand to get the best spot. And I mean, not to stereotype but yes it's exactly the Maryborogh hill Qashqai yummy mummies who are the worst offenders. One of these days I'm going to have words with one of them and I can pretty much guarantee her husband's job title will be referenced in her reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I love the little space that's left when yummy mummies in their SUVs' park on footpaths on Wellington Rd in the mornings and evenings. Sure having a little Johny or Mary gives them the entitlement to do so. It's rather unfortunate for them that my shoulder bumps off their wing mirrors pushing them in when i'm passing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I love the little space that's left when yummy mummies in their SUVs' park on footpaths on Wellington Rd in the mornings and evenings. Sure having a little Johny or Mary gives them the entitlement to do so. It's rather unfortunate for them that my shoulder bumps off their wing mirrors pushing them in when i'm passing :rolleyes:

You're not alone

https://twitter.com/deshocks/status/1171754391264747520

Advertisement