Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pwurple wrote: »
    There was a traffic cordon all around ballintemple and blackrock. I counted 20+ gardai moving people on. Very little parking problems there. Up around the silver quay was a disgrace though.

Most of what annoyed me was the people literally falling out the doors of the pubs onto traffic, by the Venue pub was particularly bad.

It went further than the Silver Key - Browningstown, Hettyfield, Ardfallen, South Lodge were hit too. My Mother couldn't even get her car out of her driveway, said she'd never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

Just overheard someone say in a cafe in Oliver Plunkett say that she's parked in a loading bay in her commercial van even when she's not unloading anything! Just meeting someone for coffee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just overheard someone say in a cafe in Oliver Plunkett say that she's parked in a loading bay in her commercial van even when she's not unloading anything! Just meeting someone for coffee!!

Once she doesn't overstay the time limit she's not breaking any rules.
    Loading bays are for commercial vehicles for a duration of iirc, 30 minutes.
    You don't need to be loading or unloading.

It's very handy driving a commercial vehicle at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Diabhalta wrote: »
    parking-cu---nt.jpg

Send that to EPS via twitter

So? Most people with commercials park in loading bays, perk of having one. It’s very handy for quickly popping in and out of a shop for something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

So? Most people with commercials park in loading bays, perk of having one. It’s very handy for quickly popping in and out of a shop for something!

That's the attitude. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mardyke wrote: »
    That's the attitude. Fair play to you.

If you have one, why not?

It's not like it's a huge sector of the vehicle owning population anyway, and they do get charged more than a car owner for the test.

The clue is in the name... Loading Bay...

If you were actually looking for a loading bay to unload a delivery would you be OK with some yoke inside having a coffee taking up a spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

To be fair, she was meeting someone for coffee and not just popping in and out of a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Have some cars/people exemptions for parking in town see a red car parked on the grand parade/south mall every day of the week.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Have some cars/people exemptions for parking in town see a red car parked on the grand parade/south mall every day of the week.

I wonder do the wardens get to know who owns which cars....

For example, is it possible a solicitor / bar owner type parked illegally outside his establishment every day might have an arrangement with the wardens.....

Some business owners certainly get a blind eye turned and rightly so. I personally know one business owner who parks legally outside his premises but is never ticketed for not having a disc. I don’t know what type of deal has been struck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Some business owners certainly get a blind eye turned and rightly so. I personally know one business owner who parks legally outside his premises but is never ticketed for not having a disc. I don’t know what type of deal has been struck though.

To be fair to city centre business people, they do pay a fair whack in rates to the City Council so they do deserve a break of some kind.

kub wrote: »
    To be fair to city centre business people, they do pay a fair whack in rates to the City Council so they do deserve a break of some kind.

I fully agree (hence my “and rightly so”) in my previous post.

I fully agree (hence my “and rightly so”) in my previous post.

As do I ;), i was not having a pop at you at all.

Rubbish.

Rates are paid for whatever reasons. They're not paid to allow illegal parking.

Again, yesterday, its so frustrating to see cars all over the place behind the courthouse, up on footpaths, on yellow lines.

I think cars need to be banned from the city centre completely at the weekend. You look at a street like Castle Street.... Id say there's about 4 parking spaces... If you got rid of them and made that street pedestrian, it would be a nice street with a couple of cafes and the Roundy, and 4 spaces is hardly going to make a difference.

Coal Quay and Paul St also need to be fully pedistrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Couldn't agree more. Pedestrianising streets creates a nicer, more relaxed atmosphere, and allows for more space, trees, outdoor seating on nice days. It would bring a nicer vibe to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The traders heads would combust if anyone suggested doing that! For the record I completely agree but we need CMATS to be delivered in full asap (and not by 2040 as planned) before the city can be closed to vehicles.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The traders heads would combust if anyone suggested doing that! For the record I completely agree but we need CMATS to be delivered in full asap (and not by 2040 as planned) before the city can be closed to vehicles.

You are very optimistic, I doubt many of us will see CMATS delivered in our lifetimes.
    I have zero faith in the current Government delivering anything for Cork, their record to date says it all. I am neutral on politics but having said that and as much as I hate saying this, we need a Taoiseach from here akin to Jack Lynch back in the 70's to get anything.

I walked along the plaza on Grand Parade this morning. I'd say there was about 15 cars and vans parked illegally and dangerously on the plaza.

A handful outside Deep South. A few more along by the library, and a couple of cars loitering by the entrance to that car park (which should not have access from Grand Parade side IMO).

WHAT A MESS

The ignorance of these people is astounding. But the fact that they get away with it consistently is so annoying.

I spent time finding a legitimate parking space on Probys Quay, paying the hourly charge,and walked from there. And then to see these cretins with their cheap suits hopping out of their jeeps.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I walked along the plaza on Grand Parade this morning. I'd say there was about 15 cars and vans parked illegally and dangerously on the plaza.

A handful outside Deep South. A few more along by the library, and a couple of cars loitering by the entrance to that car park (which should not have access from Grand Parade side IMO).

WHAT A MESS

The ignorance of these people is astounding. But the fact that they get away with it consistently is so annoying.

I spent time finding a legitimate parking space on Probys Quay, paying the hourly charge,and walked from there. And then to see these cretins with their cheap suits hopping out of their jeeps.....

Mostly council vehicles I have found seem to park there. As for not having a car park entrance on the grand parade side, it was there long before the refurbishment works of 2007, any attempt to shut it would have been met by possible legal action.

Mostly council vehicles I have found seem to park there. As for not having a car park entrance on the grand parade side, it was there long before the refurbishment works of 2007, any attempt to shut it would have been met by possible legal action.

There was about 5 vehicles casually parked outside Deep South - I don't think they were council.

It's easily fixed. Put up some planters or bollards. Why isn't it done?

I suppose it'd be too awkward for the council lads to park legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

There was about 5 vehicles casually parked outside Deep South - I don't think they were council.

It's easily fixed. Put up some planters or bollards. Why isn't it done?

I suppose it'd be too awkward for the council lads to park legally.

It’d take more than planters. Bollards were needed outside the Opera House to stop similar. No idea why it isn’t repeated, only city council can answer that. Homeless groups do the same in Patrick Street a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

namloc1980 wrote: »

Studies have shown that pedestrainizing streets actually increases business because people have more space to walk around and then slow down and take notice and pop in and our of shops/cafes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Studies have shown that pedestrainizing streets actually increases business because people have more space to walk around and then slow down and take notice and pop in and our of shops/cafes

Oh I know. Unfortunately the traders in Cork are absolutely stuck in a car centric mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Indirectly it has reduced the frequency I go into the city but not because I ever drove up Patrick Street.

I always used merchants Quay car park and they conveniently whacked up the price when the ban was imposed. I find the additional traffic on grand parade and the quays as a result of the closure prohibitive of reaching North Main street or Paul Street car park so I tend not to go in

WHAT A MESS

You could land a plane on the plaza a few cars won't in any way him hinder your walk.

You could land a plane on the plaza a few cars won't in any way him hinder your walk.

Hopefully one of the cars driving on the pedestrian areas never slaps into you or anyone belong to you.

Why would they drive into a person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Why would they drive into a person?

Why not?

In any other country, a car or van mounting a pedestrian area/pavement, would trigger a terror warning with police. Not here.

https://twitter.com/nagerefinnej/status/1144582669008871424?s=19

Advertisement