Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    It's rather unfortunate for them that my shoulder bumps off their wing mirrors pushing them in when i'm passing :rolleyes:
    Ah, so you’re one of those type of scum bags.
    What a horrible type of person you are. Good to know that you can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

And I'm the scumbag? If anyone's a scumbag, it's people who park on footpaths leaving little space to pass. Somebody might have to pass with a push chair/wheel chair.

Footpaths are for walking on, not parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No mention for the scumbag's who block the footpath? Too often I see people in a wheelchair or people with a pram having to go onto a busy road to get around vehicles parked by inconsiderate arseholes.

I love the little space that's left when yummy mummies in their SUVs' park on footpaths on Wellington Rd in the mornings and evenings. Sure having a little Johny or Mary gives them the entitlement to do so. It's rather unfortunate for them that my shoulder bumps off their wing mirrors pushing them in when i'm passing :rolleyes:

That won’t end well for you be it with a large bill for damage or damage to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That won’t end well for you be it with a large bill for damage or damage to yourself.

What?
    Mirrors fold in.
    No damage done, just a mild inconvenience for the driver.

• Advertisement

What?
    Mirrors fold in.
    No damage done, just a mild inconvenience for the driver.

Depends on which way he is walking into them and on the type of mirror etc, electric ones don’t like too much abuse.

If someone walked into my mirror they better be prepared for the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

When you've no option but to drive then drive, that's grand. But if they've driven from Maryborogh hill would it kill them to drive two bloody minutes more and walk the kids back to the (legally) parked car? And a lot of it is the ones who get there a half hour beforehand to get the best spot. And I mean, not to stereotype but yes it's exactly the Maryborogh hill Qashqai yummy mummies who are the worst offenders. One of these days I'm going to have words with one of them and I can pretty much guarantee her husband's job title will be referenced in her reply :D

i agree with you 100% on this, but something i've noticed since the shopping centre closed in Douglas is cars now parking in the very limited spaces outside various Douglas schools and people getting out of them at 7/8am and hopping on bikes & buses and not coming back to collect the car until after 5pm. these are people who do not have children in these schools. And hog a space 3/4 cars would use throughout the day.

it's hard enough to get parking around schools without working commuters using up their limited spaces all day long.. it's only started since the shopping centre closed.

You are familiar with how mirrors work on cars? Either way, go to the courts. Case will thrown due to car being parked illegally.

Depends on which way he is walking into them and on the type of mirror etc, electric ones don’t like too much abuse.

Just don't be a pr!ck and park illegally then. Or are you one of the entitled ones?

Ooooh.
    Big hard man in his car!
    *trembles*

Oh wait, Internet hard man.

• Advertisement

Just don't be a pr!ck and park illegally then. Or are you one of the entitled ones?

He thinks it is OK to park entirely on the footpath because he pays tax and wants to park there.

lertsnim wrote: »
    No mention for the scumbag's who block the footpath? Too often I see people in a wheelchair or people with a pram having to go onto a busy road to get around vehicles parked by inconsiderate arseholes.
    I already said there’s no excuse for them.
    You not going to mention the scumbag looking to damage people’s property?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They may drive:
    Because the child is too young to walk by themselves.
    Because of weather related issues.
    Because they are on the way to work themselves.
    Because they have other kids to drop to other schools, child minder, creche, etc

I'm not saying the above covers all eventualities, and many could (and do) walk to the schools. There's no excuse for some of the parking you see at some schools, but many people have no idea(and no understanding) of what is involved in the morning rush when you do have kids.

I have a kid - now an adult. He went to school in Cork. I worked full time.
    Where he went to school and I worked at the time were opposite sides of the city. Did the whole childminder thing. Did the whole rush to get him to school and not be late.
    Still managed to avoid ever parking on a corner.

For while he went to school in Australia.The school there had a marked drop off zone outside the school and it was strictly drop-off/collect. No Parking. You quickly learned to time it properly.

I have grandkids. They do not go to school anywhere near my house and there is no direct bus route. So I drive them. And I find a legal, safe, parking place. Then we walk.

They even have raincoats. Imagine that. Children don't melt in the rain.

Generations of children managed to get to school without having to be dropped off no more than 10 feet from the school gate by a private car. Why can't the current one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

You are familiar with how mirrors work on cars? Either way, go to the courts. Case will thrown due to car being parked illegally.

Just to clarify, if you damage the mirror of a vehicle irrespective of it being illegally parked or not, that is criminal damage and using the excuse that your actions would be warranted due to illegal parking does not mean the case will be thrown out. 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where he went to school and I worked at the time were opposite sides of the city. Did the whole childminder thing. Did the whole rush to get him to school and not be late.

For while he went to school in Australia.The school there had a marked drop off zone outside the school and it was strictly drop-off/collect. No Parking. You quickly learned to time it properly.

I have grandkids. They do not go to school anywhere near my house and there is no direct bus route. So I drive them. And I find a legal, safe, parking place. Then we walk.

Generations of children managed to get to school without having to be dropped off no more than 10 feet from the school gate by a private car. Why can't the current one?

What are school collections like? I find those worse than drop offs.

You do know that plenty do walk?
    The generations you speak of often didn’t have two cars (so easier now) or have didn’t have two working parents (so more difficult now). What previous generations did really isn’t of relevance.
    People can drop their kids off, and do so in a way that doesn’t break the law and do so with common decency. I’m not arguing otherwise.

Just to clarify, if you damage the mirror of a vehicle irrespective of it being illegally parked or not, that is criminal damage and using the excuse that your actions would be warranted due to illegal parking does not mean the case will be thrown out. 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

There's no damage done, mirror is just pushed in so I can get past. I'm not going to walk on the road cos some wanker has decided to take up most of the footpath in their SUV.

There's no damage done, mirror is just pushed in so I can get past. I'm not going to walk on the road cos some wanker has decided to take up most of the footpath in SUV.
    If there’s no damage done a prosecution is unlikely. However if you push it and it breaks, which does occur, this is where the problem is. I’ve knocked out the glass on one or two of my own cars down through the years, these things can easily happen. You may be frustrated and that’s understandable, that’s what the authorities are there for. You might say they do nothing, if annoyed enough they will act.

You do know that plenty do walk?
    The generations you speak of often didn’t have two cars (so easier now) or have didn’t have two working parents (so more difficult now). What previous generations did really isn’t of relevance.
    People can drop their kids off, and do so in a way that doesn’t break the law and do so with common decency. I’m not arguing otherwise.

But we are talking about the one's who don't. The one's who park on the corners. On footpaths. Who turn narrow roads into one lane.
    There is a fair few of them. Enough to cause havoc twice a day.

Same as not everyone going to a sporting event is inconsiderate - there's enough of them to cause havoc for people who live near the venues.

But we are talking about the one's who don't. The one's who park on the corners. On footpaths. Who turn narrow roads into one lane.
    There is a fair few of them. Enough to cause havoc twice a day.
    And I don’t believe anyone is defending the a-holes who park illegally or without consideration for others.
    Illegal parking, like most laws, require enforcement.

• Advertisement

What are school collections like? I find those worse than drop offs.

The Aussie one?

You timed it so you knew they were out. It worked like a taxi rank. There were always at least 2 teachers there to keep control. Kids waited just inside school gates until their lift got to head of the 'rank'. They got in car and off you went.
    If your kids weren't ready a teacher gave the one bellow for them and if they weren't there you had to join the rank at the end again.
    And prepared the tongue lashing said kids were going to get when you reached the front again.. :mad:

First time I went there I was early and I parked. I was very firmly, but politely, told how the system worked by the school principle. :o

It genuinely worked very well. And we are talking schools with a large amount of pupils.

In Sydney they had a similar no nonsense approach to illegal parking. SO worked in Newtown right on the High Street. From around 9:30 - 4:30 pm you could park beside the kerb. From about 7- 9:30 am and 4:30 - 7pm that became a clearway. Tow trucks would be waiting. Any car parked in the clearway was ticketed, towed, and put in the first legal space the tow truck found. It was up to the owner to find their car. It would be somewhere in the same area... somewhere being the operative word.
    People either found somewhere off the High Street to park... or did the it's 4:20 stampede to get their car moved to a legal spot. Or used public transport.

The point was the the shoppers and cafe crowd would able to park for an hour or two or three (which they would pay for) but when the rush hour hit the street had two extra lanes for drivers.

Now contrast that with what happens in MacCurtain St...

And I don’t believe anyone is defending the a-holes who park illegally or without consideration for others.
    Illegal parking, like most laws, require enforcement.

Enforcement - absolutely.
    It would also help it people had a bit of cop on, stop thinking the rules don't apply to them, and that consideration is what happens to windows when they steam up...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where do people expect those doing school drop offs to park when there isn’t any suitable facilities at the schools?

Who expects them to park?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What age bracket are you? Serious question.

Hoping that you are from an older generation suffering from lack of formal education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They may drive:
    Because the child is too young to walk by themselves.
    Because of weather related issues.
    Because they are on the way to work themselves.
    Because they have other kids to drop to other schools, child minder, creche, etc

I'm not saying the above covers all eventualities, and many could (and do) walk to the schools. There's no excuse for some of the parking you see at some schools, but many people have no idea(and no understanding) of what is involved in the morning rush when you do have kids.

+1

As someone who used to cycle to work in Cork, getting drenched was rare. Rain might be recorded on many days of the year in Ireland but is usually intermittent. The amount of drenchings kids will get walking a small distance to and from school will be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I already said there’s no excuse for them.
    You not going to mention the scumbag looking to damage people’s property?

Pushing in a wing mirror? Oh the humanity!!

+1

As someone who used to cycle to work in Cork, getting drenched was rare. Rain might be recorded on many days of the year in Ireland but is usually intermittent. The amount of drenchings kids will get walking a small distance to and from school will be negligible.
    Had this discussion on other threads, we get more rain, and more often, than most other European cities.

If it's lashing rain, you want your kid to be dry, not catch a cold, spreading to the rest of the family and having to deal with that (maybe needing to take time off work).

It may well be negligible and rare, but if you are one with a suffering kid, or other kids, having to burn holiday, then it's not negligible. With the trend of both parents now working, it's not as easily managed as in the past.

Of course I'm for kids cycling to school as much as possible, but I gave an example of why some people would drive even to a local school (citing weather dependent issues amongst others), and got the reply of a raincoat.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Pushing in a wing mirror? Oh the humanity!!
    Nah. Wouldn't even bother with someone that wants to defend a scumbag.
    +1 to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Aussie one?

You timed it so you knew they were out. It worked like a taxi rank. There were always at least 2 teachers there to keep control. Kids waited just inside school gates until their lift got to head of the 'rank'. They got in car and off you went.
    If your kids weren't ready a teacher gave the one bellow for them and if they weren't there you had to join the rank at the end again.
    And prepared the tongue lashing said kids were going to get when you reached the front again.. :mad:

First time I went there I was early and I parked. I was very firmly, but politely, told how the system worked by the school principle. :o

It genuinely worked very well. And we are talking schools with a large amount of pupils.
    That's insane. Those teachers are going to be queueing up for compo claims in years to come for respiratory conditions. Apart from just the whole ar dominant thinking involved.

In Sydney they had a similar no nonsense approach to illegal parking. SO worked in Newtown right on the High Street. From around 9:30 - 4:30 pm you could park beside the kerb. From about 7- 9:30 am and 4:30 - 7pm that became a clearway. Tow trucks would be waiting. Any car parked in the clearway was ticketed, towed, and put in the first legal space the tow truck found. It was up to the owner to find their car. It would be somewhere in the same area... somewhere being the operative word.
    People either found somewhere off the High Street to park... or did the it's 4:20 stampede to get their car moved to a legal spot. Or used public transport.

The point was the the shoppers and cafe crowd would able to park for an hour or two or three (which they would pay for) but when the rush hour hit the street had two extra lanes for drivers.

Now contrast that with what happens in MacCurtain St...
    That's brilliant, and shows what can be done with a little bit of enforcement.

• Advertisement

Nah. Wouldn't even bother with someone that wants to defend a scumbag.
    +1 to ignore.

Mirror is pushed in simply so I can get past, hardly the height of scumbagishness. I'm not going to walk on the road because some self righteous soccer mom takes up the footpath dropping off their little ones (13-18 year olds). These SUVs are for offroading, not for mounting kerbs blocking footpaths like a privileged scumbag.

Advertisement