Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They won't catch a cold from getting wet. The common cold is caused by various viruses, not by being caught in a shower / having a bath / going for a swim.
    If you're still worried about it, or by the fact that a child might be stuck in wet clothes for an hour or so, then a raincoat is the answer so nothing at all wrong with that posters reply !!
    Wet weather tends to be colder. Being wet or damp leads to a greater risk cause it’s an ideal scenario for those viruses.
    I never mentioned a bath or a shower, cause it’s warm. And generally going for a swim is done in warm weather. A cold bath/shower/swim, try it, see how you get on!!
    I’m not worried about it at all. I’ve covered this is other threads, when there’s been people like you don’t know what they’re talking about.

Also, I’m pretty sure there’s no link between getting wet and catching a cold.
    Incorrect.
    But again, I’m not disagreeing with your overall point, I was just giving one example. I’m all for kids cycling if they can; just highlighting one possible reason why some drive (which was the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Also, I’m pretty sure there’s no link between getting wet and catching a cold.
    Incorrect.
    But again, I’m not disagreeing with your overall point, I was just giving one example. I’m all for kids cycling if they can; just highlighting one possible reason why some drive (which was the question asked.
    It's an excuse, not a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Incorrect.

Actually correct. Being wet does not give people a cold.

It's an excuse, not a reason.
    Stay ignorant of others people's situation if you wish (bit like the lack of sympathy illegal parkers have for others), up to you. But time to ignore you from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stay ignorant of others people's situation if you wish (bit like the lack of sympathy illegal parkers have for others), up to you. But time to ignore you from now on.

Yes, being mean to someone on the Internet has just the same negative effect on society as parking illegally.
    If someone disagrees with mm, they disagree with society , is it?

What an awful waste of space - a layby used for five or ten minutes each morning and evening. Could the school really not find any better use for the space?

You can’t build the wall of the school right up against a narrow county road regardless, planning wouldn’t even allow that so the layby is needed regardless of cars parking.
    And as for parental cars driving through the playground and parking there? Are they insane?

Why would it be insane? During school houses when the school gates are closed to traffic the area where cars can drive through is part of the play ground. Where the teachers cars are parked is also fully accessible by kids playing but again the cars don’t move when kids are at play so no danger. This the the case in the majority of country of schools and some city schools too.
    Just to clarify - 4km would be about 40 minutes walk or 20 minutes cycle. What exactly is it about the 20 minute cycle that is too much for you?
    ?

Effort and hardship which I’ve no interest in partaking in and that’s on a dry day, I detest getting wet so it’s even worse on a wet day. I have 2 meters from by back door to my car and the same from my parking space at work to the door of our office, I can wear just t-shirt even on wet days none of this having to get dressed in about 10 layers which I hate.

Effort and hardship which I’ve no interest in partaking in and that’s on a dry day, I detest getting wet so it’s even worse on a wet day. I have 2 meters from by back door to my car and the same from my parking space at work to the door of our office, I can wear just t-shirt even on wet days none of this having to get dressed in about 10 layers which I hate.

Imagine using your legs. Oh the humanity. By the way, who gets dressed in 10 layers?!? That would be a bizarre thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Waste of time? Bikes are faster than cars stuck in traffic on most journeys. They are generally predictable, with little variation resulting from traffic or weather.

That sounds like a huge waste of space at the school though - large amounts of space dedicated to parking used for five minutes each morning and evening. Shouldn't they be putting that space to good use?

They have more than enough space, school has very large grounds. Also where cars pull in is either along the area outside the school wall where a big layby was left for cars or inside the walls which is part of the play ground during the school day when the gates are closed.

Most people are doing journeys of less than 4km, distances that are easily walked or cycled.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451

Even if true, which it isn’t for many 4km is way to far to be walking to work and too far for cycling too. I certainly wouldn’t do it.

4km too far to cycle? You're trolling at this stage surely. That's no more than a 15 min journey on a bike. Get out of your car-only mindset and you may actually realise there are other better, healthier options out there for your commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

4km too far to cycle? You're trolling at this stage surely. That's no more than a 15 min journey on a bike. Get out of your car-only mindset and you may actually realise there are other better, healthier options out there for your commute.

Have you ever considered running for public office?

• Advertisement

Have you ever considered running for public office?

Good man yourself.
    I'm awaiting to hear your argument against my above post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is no ignorance on my part. I see exactly what's going on, and I'm calling it like it is.

You can’t build the wall of the school right up against a narrow county road regardless, planning wouldn’t even allow that so the layby is needed regardless of cars parking.
    What specific aspect of planning regulations are you referring to here please?

Why would it be insane? During school houses when the school gates are closed to traffic the area where cars can drive through is part of the play ground. Where the teachers cars are parked is also fully accessible by kids playing but again the cars don’t move when kids are at play so no danger. This the the case in the majority of country of schools and some city schools too.
    I already answered your question of why, in the bit that you left out of your quote:

Apart from risk of injury, they are choking the kids to death.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/healt...cli/index.html

If I need to explain further, I can explain that kids aren't great for checking their watches before they decide whether to start playing or not. The most natural instinct of any child is to play, especially when they see their friends. And you're happy to be driving cars in through the area that is dedicated for their playtime for most of the day? This is going to go badly wrong some day.

The extreme effort of 'putting on a coat' - Oh Lord the inhumanity of it all. Are you made of sugar or what?

Do you ever find yourself having to put on a coat or get wet with all that farm work that you do for exercise?

Good man yourself.

I’m fully aware of who you are hence my question

Good man yourself.

I’m fully aware of who you are hence my question

Wasn't sure if it was a serious question or not tbh - - will you support me on my campaign? :D

Extinction Rebellion are apparently stopping non-permitted traffic from entering Patrick's Street on Sunday afternoon if you want something to watch

https://www.facebook.com/events/2549458532007334/

Unfortunately, there was no sign of such activity at the North end of St. Patrick's Street just now.

Extinction Rebellion are apparently stopping non-permitted traffic from entering Patrick's Street on Sunday afternoon if you want something to watch

https://www.facebook.com/events/2549458532007334/

Unfortunately, there was no sign of such activity at the North end of St. Patrick's Street just now.

It's happening tomorrow.

Every other day, due to very little, if any, enforcement from Gardai, it's pretty much a free for all.

Wasn't sure if it was a serious question or not tbh - - will you support me on my campaign? :D

If you’re in my constituency/ward I will sure. I always like to back the underdog. I’d say for a general election you’d be in my area, for the locals I don’t think you are.

It's happening tomorrow.

Every other day, due to very little, if any, enforcement from Gardai, it's pretty much a free for all.

Doh, of course it's tomorrow.

We probably walked straight passed each other :pac: I was around there at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Wet weather tends to be colder. Being wet or damp leads to a greater risk cause it’s an ideal scenario for those viruses.
    I never mentioned a bath or a shower, cause it’s warm. And generally going for a swim is done in warm weather. A cold bath/shower/swim, try it, see how you get on!!
    I’m not worried about it at all. I’ve covered this is other threads, when there’s been people like you don’t know what they’re talking about.

As it happens I finish ever shower with a cold shower. I've also swam, snorkelled and dived in the likes of Portroe Quarry, Aherla Quarry and Inisleena in the depths of winter.

The optimum conditions for cold and flu viruses are when it's cold and dry. Think frosty conditions and it's in around there. That's an indisputable scientific fact. Yes, those viruses can, and do, survive in other conditions but they really only thrive when we reach that frost point. (5 degrees or so). It's a rare day that you'll have rain and frost. Rain tends to be at a higher temperature.

As with all viral infections etc some people will also be more vulnerable to them, wrapping kids in cotton wool and driving them to school isn't going to make a tot of difference as to whether or not they contract a cold. Close contact is the number one cause, of kids in particular, contracting a cold or flu virus.

• Advertisement

Yes, those viruses can, and do, survive in other conditions but they really only thrive when we reach that frost point. (5 degrees or so). It's a rare day that you'll have rain and frost. Rain tends to be at a higher temperature.
    Yes, very rare, for Ireland. But it's often wet and cold, and that's ideal conditions (for Ireland). And in a school environment, it can spread easily, if one gets it.

Look, my point was about why some people drive, in answer to a question. I'm not saying they should never get a drop of rain on them (no harm to build up their immunity, but for some parents, a sick kid(s) has other consequences (that others don't consider or care about). It in no way is to excuse the OTT stuff and illegal parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Surveys in multiple countries have shown that the primary reasons cited for driving children to school were safety/security and convenience.
    Weather and distance don't feature as highly.

I don't drive anyone to school so I don't know.

When I was driven to school it was primarily because it was convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Surveys in multiple countries have shown that the primary reasons cited for driving children to school were safety/security and convenience.
    Weather and distance don't feature as highly.

Many of the children taking part in climate change demonstrations are driven to and from school every day. I don't think it really has much to do with the weather. It is more a cultural phenomenon that has developed in recent years. In my day the vast majority of children walked or cycled to school. Now SUVs park illegally outside schools and cause gridlock on our roads.

Yes, very rare, for Ireland. But it's often wet and cold, and that's ideal conditions (for Ireland). And in a school environment, it can spread easily, if one gets it.

Look, my point was about why some people drive, in answer to a question. I'm not saying they should never get a drop of rain on them (no harm to build up their immunity, but for some parents, a sick kid(s) has other consequences (that others don't consider or care about). It in no way is to excuse the OTT stuff and illegal parking.

It's been pointed out numerous times that it actually rains very little at school drop off and collection times. Since the kids went back to school it's been remarkably dry across the country with only a few days of rain or what you could say were wet days. Regardless the traffic at schools if anything got worse. These parents are doing their children no favours by driving then to the front door of the school.

If I need to explain further, I can explain that kids aren't great for checking their watches before they decide whether to start playing or not. The most natural instinct of any child is to play, especially when they see their friends. And you're happy to be driving cars in through the area that is dedicated for their playtime for most of the day? This is going to go badly wrong some day.

Well it’s been pretty much the same setup at the school for the last 25 years or so since it was built and there hasn’t been so much as a scratch on a child. You will see a similar setup in most country schools so you are frankly sprouting absolute biased nonsense.

Do you ever find yourself having to put on a coat or get wet with all that farm work that you do for exercise?

Completely different scenario when actually going outside working.

Well it’s been pretty much the same setup at the school for the last 25 years or so since it was built and there hasn’t been so much as a scratch on a child. You will see a similar setup in most country schools so you are frankly sprouting absolute biased nonsense .

Indeed you will. Parents in their SUVs insisting in driving into schools so their precious darlings will have to walk as little as possible. Maybe not a safety issue but it does make play areas a far less pleasant environment and discourages children not to use them.
    And this insistence that walking or exercise is bad for children and they have to be dropped off or picked up by car is in my opinion not doing them any favours.

Parents who don't work have in effect created an activity for themselves i.e. driving children to and from school. And come in with all sorts of
    spurious justifications for why they have to do it.
    e.g other parents do it, walking or cycling in unsafe, carrying a school bag causes back issues, stranger danger, it might rain and children would get pneumonia etc. All bull****

Fact is this is bad for the environment and bad for children and sets unhealthy patterns for life.

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Parents who don't work have in effect created an activity for themselves i.e. driving children to and from school. And come in with all sorts of
    spurious justifications for why they have to do it.
    e.g other parents do it, walking or cycling in unsafe, carrying a school bag causes back issues, stranger danger etc. All bull****

Fact is this is bad for the environment and bad for children and sets unhealthy patterns for life.

What sort of rubbish is that? The vast majority of of parents who drop off kids in a car are doing it on their way to work. It’s the ones who don’t work who have time for killing walking to and from a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's a complex thing, and down to human nature, a lot of people would aspire to not driving to school.. But on the day,youre 10 mins late or its cold.. And its easier to drive..
    I made the mistake a year or 2 ago of driving down a road next to a secondary school at leaving time.. It was chaos... Parents were parking on the foot path, so the kids were walking on the road, lots of parents on the phone as they drove past so they could arrange to collect their darlings, cars in the bus stops, so the buses were double parking... And this school has a large car park set up for pick ups and drop offs, most of the kids are from the town... And there are school buses for outlying areas...
    But, its easier (ish) to drive... (Until someone gets hurt),
    If it stopped being easier ish, (say a garda giving out tickets every now and then) then habits would change..
    Incidentally morning traffic is bad enough at this school to block the road about on an N road a couple of hundred meters away...

I can get all high and mighty about people should do this or that.. Or when I was that age I'd have walked.. Or cycled.. But I'd do whatever is most convenient... Most of the time

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

A little confused by your response above. It is not the children that are driving to school. It is the parents. You seem to be implying that children these days are incapable of walking or cycling in their own which buys into the snowflake narrative being pushed by parents
    seeking to justify driving to school.

In my opinion the single biggest reason so many children are overweight these days is children being driven to school.

Advertisement