Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options
  • 30-01-2016 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

i can't help but notice a few interesting examples of illegal parking that seems to be accepted

While I search for a proper parking space it seems those that throw their cars up on a footpath are fine

Examples:

Always 2 or 3 cars on footpath outside that Velo cafe place, presumably the owners/staff of cafe

By gate of Beamish and Crawford

Coal Quay plaza is the famous one

And as we're at it, how many years is that red Corpo trailer left at the river side of road on Sullivan's Quay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, parking with all 4 wheels on the footpath has become a thing. See it all the time at the start of Pope's Quay and in Blackpool too.
    Cornmarket St / Coal Quay drives me mad every weekend.
    Bike lanes seem to be fair game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live on the North Mall and the bike lane is often full of cars. Especially when there is a funeral on. Fair enough you need somewhere to park, but Cathedral road for example often has lots of spaces, it's up the road. I often can't find parking but still wouldn't park on the bike lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The lawyer folk seem to be allowed park on the footpaths all around the courthouse

Down the side of the old tax office is another favourite for the footpath parkers

Also what's the story with Loading Areas... Are vans belong to The Wine Buff, for example, allowed park their all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kcb wrote: »
    The lawyer folk seem to be allowed park on the footpaths all around the courthouse

Down the side of the old tax office is another favourite for the footpath parkers

Also what's the story with Loading Areas... Are vans belong to The Wine Buff, for example, allowed park their all day long

Oh yeah, the courthouse one is interesting all right. I guess if you're pals with the guards.....

Loading bay is supposed to give you 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Courthouse footpath is private property I'm told so if they're there with permission they're doing nothing wrong.

It's the parking in cycle lanes and blocking emergency exits that really gets me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

People seem to always park private cars in the loading bays on the grand parade during the week and always end up being ticketed,do they not read the signs.

Just saw on the examiner 75 parking fines a day handed out last year in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It seems to be only city center, the amount of double yellow parking I see around Capwell in particular is incredible, and leads to massive backups daily. Corks streets were made for horse and cart and haven't been altered accordingly to suit cars and the parking of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ofcork wrote: »
    Just saw on the examiner 75 parking fines a day handed out last year in cork city.
    Ya, but are they being collected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

AFAIK there's poles on the footpaths there now to prevent most of that. Bad parking there creates a nightmare for Prison and Garda vans !!

For the ultimate experience in bad parking head down around Pairc ui Rinn any time there's a game on. Footpaths, green areas, double yellows, cycle lanes and across house entrances are all fair game. The bend by the funeral home is the worst of the lot.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Ya, but are they being collected?

Yes according to the article just saw a few cars being ticketed on grand parade parked in loadind bays,can they not read?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Cars in the bike lanes are getting quite annoying... But Gardai doesn't seem to do anything about it.

I'd love to do something like this:
    (youtube)/bzE-IMaegzQ?t=72

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you checked what's wrote on the tax discs, that's what the clampers check first before placing a clamp on, it's the first thing they learn in their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

TheChizler wrote: »
    Courthouse footpath is private property I'm told so if they're there with permission they're doing nothing wrong.

I also notice that, the legal people are able to park behind the courthouse without a parking disc all day every day.

Even if the footpath is private property they have no entitlement to park on it. There is no legal enterance to it off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Every Sunday the motorbike parking at the end of South mall is completely full of cars (the cars parked at the end pretty much end up blocking one entire lane!!). I walk past almost every Sunday and have yet to see a ticket on one of them.

Love it if they put up the barrier things like they have for the motorbike parking near opera lane.

kingtut wrote: »
    Every Sunday the motorbike parking at the end of South mall is completely full of cars (the cars parked at the end pretty much end up blocking one entire lane!!). I walk past almost every Sunday and have yet to see a ticket on one of them..

Good call on that one. Very annoying, even for someone who doesn't need a bike space!

They should be towed away as it is stopping bikes from parking legitimately. I wonder would anything happen if a call was made by a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wonder would anything happen if a call was made by a cyclist.

Unless the cyclist was armed and picking off people at random, most likely nothing.

An SUV parked on the courthouse plaza this evening, and it seems had managed to lift one of the railings out of the ground to accommodate it. Handy to know the right people.

A couple more on the footpath down the side. Not a bother.

Nearly got mowed down later ON Paul St plaza by a car heading to that new Ali Kitchen cafe. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

kingtut wrote: »
    Every Sunday the motorbike parking at the end of South mall is completely full of cars (the cars parked at the end pretty much end up blocking one entire lane!!). I walk past almost every Sunday and have yet to see a ticket on one of them.

Love it if they put up the barrier things like they have for the motorbike parking near opera lane.

And you won't. Traffic wardens don't work most Sundays and the Gardai don't leave a paper ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Good call on that one. Very annoying, even for someone who doesn't need a bike space!

They should be towed away as it is stopping bikes from parking legitimately. I wonder would anything happen if a call was made by a cyclist.

Revenge of the car owner from those cycle pods that have taken up half available parking areas . would have no problem throwing my car up on it.:P

• Advertisement

On the echo today the council are finally doing something about the illegal parking in the coal quay.

On the echo today the council are finally doing something about the illegal parking in the coal quay.

Good to hear. Finally.

It'd be interesting to know why. It's hardly for the benefit of the pedestrian or for any actual good reason. Must be some grant in jeopardy or something.

I was walking there on Sunday and 3 cars drove up on the plaza forcing me and others to get out of their way.

I was walking there on Sunday and 3 cars drove up on the plaza forcing me and others to get out of their way.

And all within a doughnuts throw of the Garda station. Astonishing.

The other day the whole bike lane on the north mall was full of cars because of a funeral. It's the same almost every evening! I feel bad for the people that cycle and want to use the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Great to hear, it gets mental there some days, walking in the middle of the road would almost be safer!
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    The other day the whole bike lane on the north mall was full of cars because of a funeral. It's the same almost every evening! I feel bad for the people that cycle and want to use the lane.

Used to cycle along that way every evening but stay on the other side of the river now as never have to worry about parked cars there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

How do they actually get away with parking on the Cornmarket Garda station plaza thing? It says Garda access only.

Garda access is to do with cutting across the plaza to the bridewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First off, I'm from Cork, but living in Dublin. Every time time I go back home I am quite amused by the cavalier attitude to parking in Cork. It's somewhat akin to "throw the handbrake on, get out". Parking near GAA grounds on match day is near farcical. I pity the poor residents.

Its a pity that they stopped clamping in Cork. Like it or not, clamping is the reason why parking discipline exists in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Just saw a Garda walking around the cornmarket/coal quay area with a notebook going up to the parked cars. All getting fines I reckon. Delighted!

Advertisement