Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What time of the day was this taken? Afternoon perhaps?? So what exactly are you trying to say - that I'm making this **** up?

I come out of there in the mornings and evenings. THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!:mad::mad::mad:

ETA: Diabhalta is trying to pick an argument. Probably because they have nothing better to do with their time, judging from the time the photo was taken. He was probably still in bed when I go through, bless. Some of us have better things to do with our time...
    I think Diabhalta is actually supporting your argument with a picture that might be considered by some to be a bit pedantic when it comes to poor parking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

this is something I will never ever understand. Why would anyone without the permit park there? And he could barely start his pos Transit.. the front tyres didn't even have enough pressure in them. Who are you? What an intergalactic moron!

And this is not just petrol stations, people do this everywhere... should be a 500e fine and 6 penalty points for this stupidity.

moron.jpg

brand new double yellow lines didn't stop people from parking there? NO WAY! :eek::eek::eek:

double-yellow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Reality is that its not going to be enforced.

Occasionally on match days at Pairc Ui Choimh you saw the motorbike wardens around, but they just handed out tickets rather than remove vehicles.

My bane is churchyard Lane (the small bit by the key) that gets blocked every day with Silver Key traffic. Prime example here is that a fire engine couldn't get through some months back and had to reverse, go round the corner and in from the other side. Even with that, still nothing done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is dire, that lane. It was made even worse by the daft traffic lights that replaced the roundabout. Rat runners up the damn thing, when the lights are red, jammed in then by bad parking. The amount of blaring horns and rows there.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    It is dire, that lane. It was made even worse by the daft traffic lights that replaced the roundabout. Rat runners up the damn thing, when the lights are red, jammed in then by bad parking. The amount of blaring horns and rows there.

They need to bring in Double red ines as they have in London which is an automatic tow and works really well.

Also, I can't see why they cannot make it one way from the Key which would stop all of the traffic cutting through from the Well Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The lack of enforcement on Alfred Street on a daily basis is really quite incredible.

These cars park along the cycle lane on a daily basis.

I counted 25 all along this single lane.

20190430-202453.jpg

The amount of cash spent on putting in cycle lanes and they let these gowls park on them freely, its election time, I intend to make my point known.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They need to bring in Double red ines as they have in London which is an automatic tow and works really well.

Also, I can't see why they cannot make it one way from the Key which would stop all of the traffic cutting through from the Well Road.

It works in London because they enforce it, no chance of that happening in Cork. Illegal parking is at ludicrous levels in the city at this stage. People will dump their cars wherever they want as the risk of being caught is minimal.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It works in London because they enforce it, no chance of that happening in Cork. Illegal parking is at ludicrous levels in the city at this stage. People will dump their cars wherever they want as the risk of being caught is minimal.

The red lines almost enforce themself, London started by publicly showing car lifts and since then they have worked. Appreciate cork is not London but a high profile lift on match day may just work

• Advertisement

The red lines almost enforce themself, London started by publicly showing car lifts and since then they have worked. Appreciate cork is not London but a high profile lift on match day may just work

As I said they work in London because they actually enforce it. Already have single yellows, cycle lanes etc in Cork but the virtually zero levels of enforcement means people simply ignore these. Enforce what's there and there's no need for red lines. No point in bringing in another measure that will be ignored.

As I said they work in London because they actually enforce it. Already have single yellows, cycle lanes etc in Cork but the virtually zero levels of enforcement means people simply ignore these. Enforce what's there and there's no need for red lines. No point in bringing in another measure that will be ignored.

People park on yellows all over London but Reds you wouldn't dare so they do have an personal effect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I don't see a point.. when the school is finished the place is full of cars, so what's the point of spending money on new lines? Dopes.

20190455-66.jpg

20190455-666.jpg

As above in the first photograph, there was talk recently that the site behind that old stone wall on the right, is about to be developed, the proximity of the school and obvious health and safety regs may have a lot to do with the new yellow lines.
    But who takes notice of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem with traffic in Cork in my experience as a weekly visitor, is several things (and some of ye won't like this) :

- poor public transport options has led to an overwhelming dependence on cars. The place should have an equivalent to Dublin Bus, not a rurally minded Bus Eireann service. Luas wouldn't hurt either

- Cork is not Dublin. It's tiny by comparison with all that traffic squeezed into primarily a handful of streets. Streets that are nowhere near capable of handling it with tiny narrow lane ways in between. Planning needs to take this into account

- general lack of enforcement or adherence. The supposed afternoon traffic ban is widely ignored by both drivers and Gardai

- poor driving standards generally. No-one indicates for example which drives me mad every time (especially on roundabouts)

I generally park up at the park and ride anytime I've to go into Cork centre and use that. To be fair it's an excellent service (although why it doesn't operate on Sunday is ridiculous) that Dublin and elsewhere should be copying extensively, and I say that as someone who drives everywhere myself.

Pope's Quay today - ridiculously thoughtless and ignorant parking, x2. Worst I've seen, in a segregated bike lane and all.

Reported to Anglesea Street Gardai, who then drove by, had a look and drove off again - does anyone know are parking fines sent in the post automatically now from their reg. number or did they once again ignore the issue?

20190506-141627.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Pope's Quay today - ridiculously thoughtless and ignorant parking, x2. Worst I've seen, in a segregated bike lane and all.

Reported to Anglesea Street Gardai, who then drove by, had a look and drove off again - does anyone know are parking fines sent in the post automatically now from their reg. number or did they once again ignore the issue?

20190506-141627.jpg

I know from experience they could have taken a photo of the cars while driving by and silo issue a fine that way, plus it’s admissible evidence on their behalf if it goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Alfred St. Cycle lanes were completely blocked by illegally parked cars today.

Said it to a passing Garda and he said they are constantly dishing out fines.

Problem is I'd say there's no wardens on duty on Sundays or BH Mondays?

It's a disgrace the disregard people have for others safety in Cork these days.

Alfred Street a constant issue. Prime example of why segregated lanes are important and how poor enforcement is in the city. No wardens on Sundays or BH a further issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The lack of enforcement on Alfred Street on a daily basis is really quite incredible.

These cars park along the cycle lane on a daily basis.

I counted 25 all along this single lane.

20190430-202453.jpg

As a cyclist, putting lanes in on this normally quiet street was a complete waste of time and money anyway.

As a cyclist, putting lanes in on this normally quiet street was a complete waste of time and money anyway.

Disagree. I use it daily to and from the train station as do many others and with the massive development down that neck of the woods it won't be a quiet street for long.

• Advertisement

Disagree. I use it daily to and from the train station as do many others and with the massive development down that neck of the woods it won't be a quiet street for long.
    Same here.

Look at it today:

20190512-121138.jpg

A complete free-for-all.

Same here.

Look at it today:

20190512-121138.jpg

A complete free-for-all.

Especially worse today with the match. Cars abandoned everywhere and no enforcement whatsoever.

Same here.

Look at it today:

20190512-121138.jpg

A complete free-for-all.

Especially worse today with the match. Cars abandoned everywhere and no enforcement whatsoever.
    Days like today is when Gardai should be showing a strong hand and ticketing all offenders. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was cycling the city before any cycle lane was ever put in. Some are useful, many of them are just a council box ticking exercise.

Today was again unreal. Zero effort to enforce any parking anywhere. Cars abandoned on double yellows, in bus stops etc. Never understand how in Ireland that there isn't a traffic free cordon around stadiums on match days. You could drive almost right up to the stadium today and then afterwards had cars trying to drive their way through thousands of pedestrians on Centre Park Road/Monahan Road. Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Today was again unreal. Zero effort to enforce any parking anywhere. Cars abandoned on double yellows, in bus stops etc. Never understand how in Ireland that there isn't a traffic free cordon around stadiums on match days. You could drive almost right up to the stadium today and then afterwards had cars trying to drive their way through thousands of pedestrians on Centre Park Road/Monahan Road. Ludicrous.

The wardens don't work Sunday I think. And Gardaí are hardly going to impede their GAA buddies.

It's a disgrace the way the bigots in the GAA have a free reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

gimmick wrote: »
    Popes quay yesterday at what I am guessing about mass time.

A UK coach was stuck because there was people parked on the double yellow and a van on the other side parked badly leaving the coach with almost literally a cm either side to get through. Took the guts of 20 mins for him to get through. Pity he just didn't plough straight through and let the damage with the idiots who parked there.

As a wheelchair user i've come across this many times, dont get annoyed anymore when trying to squeeze past. The driver sees their error when they return ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There was a traffic cordon all around ballintemple and blackrock. I counted 20+ gardai moving people on. Very little parking problems there. Up around the silver quay was a disgrace though.

Most of what annoyed me was the people literally falling out the doors of the pubs onto traffic, by the Venue pub was particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mardyke wrote: »
    The wardens don't work Sunday I think. And Gardaí are hardly going to impede their GAA buddies.

It's a disgrace the way the bigots in the GAA have a free reign.

wow, bit of a broad brush stroke there. Did you not get picked for the U-12 team or something??

• Advertisement

parking-cu---nt.jpg

Advertisement