Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Spotted this at the top of Cathedral Road, right opposite the Garda station.
    There are 3 cars on the footpath in the picture and there was a fourth just behind me on the footpath. All with all 4 wheels up on path!

XLY0zMQ.jpg

There really seems to be a growing sense that it's fine to park on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Must be a big foot fall using that road 10ft+ footpath?

farmerjj wrote: »
    Must be a big foot fall using that road 10ft+ footpath?

What's your point ?

Is it that if the footpath is wide, then it's fine to park on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

What's your point ?

Is it that if the footpath is wide, then it's fine to park on it?

No, but if it,s not all needed then it could be redesign so there could be a couple cars park legally there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

farmerjj wrote: »
    No, but if it,s not all needed then it could be redesign so there could be a couple cars park legally there.

Pretty sure that's on a sharp enough bend, so cars can't park there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's on a sharp enough bend, so cars can't park there..

Well I think the picture disproves that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ludo wrote: »
    Well I think the picture disproves that :-)

Lol, not on the road that is! That is such laziness anyway there are always loads of places to park up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's on a junction, obstructing the view of other motorests. Simples.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Plus a wheelchair user would have to go out on the road to get around that silver car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

up to his mams for the dinner;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Just watched somebody park illegally on Popes Quay, while holding up the fire brigade, so they could pop into the fake tan place. Second time this week its happened, though this time the fire brigade was actually stuck sitting behind them as they reversed into the spot, sirens blaring.

Honestly you'd wonder at some people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Knasher wrote: »
    Just watched somebody park illegally on Popes Quay, while holding up the fire brigade, so they could pop into the fake tan place. Second time this week its happened, though this time the fire brigade was actually stuck sitting behind them as they reversed into the spot, sirens blaring.

Honestly you'd wonder at some people...
    Don't get me started on people who reverse into spaces..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Cars in the bike lanes are getting quite annoying... But Gardai doesn't seem to do anything about it.

I'd love to do something like this:
    (youtube)/bzE-IMaegzQ?t=72

Or they could try the Moscow approach to dealing with ignorant parkers;

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kcb wrote: »
    What about them? You'd rather they reverse blind onto the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Christ will the Council ever move that awful looking red trailer ditched permanently on Sullivan's Quay outside the old dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Emergency services drivers are trained to park like that, there are very good reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

kub wrote: »
    Emergency services drivers are trained to park like that, there are very good reasons for it.

Very good reasons indeed. Driving straight into a space is actually more difficult than reversing in. It's a shameful lack of driving skill and understanding to drive into a space when you can easily reverse in.

It is ILLEGAL to reverse onto a main road

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/road-safety-ireland-2-1112826-Oct2013/

is also worth a read.

That must be one of the dumbest comments I've seen in a while on here.
    I love when people are equally emphatic and wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

There wasnt a single car parked on the footpath on the coal quay yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Popes quay yesterday at what I am guessing about mass time.

A UK coach was stuck because there was people parked on the double yellow and a van on the other side parked badly leaving the coach with almost literally a cm either side to get through. Took the guts of 20 mins for him to get through. Pity he just didn't plough straight through and let the damage with the idiots who parked there.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    There wasnt a single car parked on the footpath on the coal quay yesterday!

Yeah, they've, finally, closed off the access there. Usually a few cars parked on the footpath down by the Bodega and Cornstore but it's a huge improvement.

Think they all moved to the north main street/liberty st because there were cars all over the place yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gimmick wrote: »
    Popes quay yesterday at what I am guessing about mass time.

A UK coach was stuck because there was people parked on the double yellow and a van on the other side parked badly leaving the coach with almost literally a cm either side to get through. Took the guts of 20 mins for him to get through. Pity he just didn't plough straight through and let the damage with the idiots who parked there.

And damage his company's coach as well, that'd be a wise move.

Apparently april just gone was one of the highest months ever for parking fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I heard from someone who spoke to the parking warden on Friday. Apparently they are issuing fines for illegal parking on the footpath outside Brooks Haughton on a daily basis.

The cars parked on footpath by Fordes pub at bottom of Barrack St are doing so legally as it's private property. Even the paving is paid for out of a public purse I presume.

It wrecks my head to see the state of North Main St, cars parked on double yellow all over the place.

More illegal parking along the street by Woodford especially near Paul St Plaza.

Cars thrown everywhere by Opera Lane.

And that's just a summary of the route I walked earlier.

It's annoying when your spend 20 mins looking for a legal space to park in. And then you see this. And not a warden to be seen.

It's funny I see some cars parked on the south mall that seem to be there all day every day do some people have an exemption I wonder.

ofcork wrote: »
    It's funny I see some cars parked on the south mall that seem to be there all day every day do some people have an exemption I wonder.

I would not be surprised in the slightest. Cork is a small place when it comes to stuff like that.

I see some photos on Twitter just now of a van and a car lobbed onto the pedestrian plaza outside the Ulster Bank on Patrick. There for an hour. No ticket.

WTF

It’s sunday night who cares where they park ffs.

We're talking about Sunday afternoon. Probably one of the busiest days in the city. And I'd guess a day when kids might be in town. And you have ignorant pricks driving on footpaths....??

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    We're talking about Sunday afternoon. Probably one of the busiest days in the city. And I'd guess a day when kids might be in town. And you have ignorant pricks driving on footpaths....??

It’s probably it the widest footpath in the county I’m sure they can easily walk around the cars.

Advertisement