Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Mardyke wrote: »
    What?

I saw the bus lanes with my own eyes...

Do you mean to say the bus lanes that are fully functional during the week are not required at the weekend.?

You'd want to open those eyes a bit more, after all inattention is one of the greatest dangers on the road. Virtually all bus lanes in Cork are Mon - Fri 07.30 - 09.30 and 16.30 - 18.30 (the poster above would want to pay more attention as well). There's clearly visible signs stating this.

Frankly, if they enforced them during operating hours it'd be a good start....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You'd want to open those eyes a bit more, after all inattention is one of the greatest dangers on the road. Virtually all bus lanes in Cork are Mon - Fri 07.30 - 09.30 and 16.30 - 18.30 (the poster above would want to pay more attention as well). There's clearly visible signs stating this.

Frankly, if they enforced them during operating hours it'd be a good start....

It’s virtually impossible for a motorist to read those signs given the need to focus on the road and given how small the type is on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Anyway, if a bus lane stops being a bus lane, it should become a lane, and not a parking space?

It baffles me why there are not people hired by the Council to hand out tickets. Give a bunch of people 15 euro an hour. They would pay for themselves in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyway, if a bus lane stops being a bus lane, it should become a lane, and not a parking space?

It baffles me why there are not people hired by the Council to hand out tickets. Give a bunch of people 15 euro an hour. They would pay for themselves in one day.

If it becomes a normal lane and there isn’t a double yellow line on the curb or a sign saying no parking then surely it should be okay to park there in out of bus lane hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Funding is an issue for the City Council in several area's, i even asked Lorna Bogue where the money is going in this tweet the other day regarding their drop off zone proposal around schools.

https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1184396178974216192

• Advertisement

If it becomes a normal lane and there isn’t a double yellow line on the curb or a sign saying no parking then surely it should be okay to park there in out of bus lane hours?

Mac Curtain Street is a free for all in or out of bus lane hours. Imagine what this place will be like when reverted to two way traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    Cars parked in the cycle lane on Mulgrave road again do they ever get ticketed.

Actually saw a few ticketed a week or so ago.
    That was unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s virtually impossible for a motorist to read those signs given the need to focus on the road and given how small the type is on them.

If you can't read road signs, then it's time to hand over the keys to a competent driver instead.

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    No such list exists.in the public domain. You are making stuff up.
    And if there was a list, claims would be reported three to five years after the incident occurred, given the treacle-like speed of processing such claims. How old is that cycle track again?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

No. It would be OK to park in if it was called a parking space. If its a traffic lane then it's not for parking.

I suppose some arseholes park on footpaths. There's no sign to tell them not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No. It would be OK to park in if it was called a parking space. If its a traffic lane then it's not for parking.

I suppose some arseholes park on footpaths. There's no sign to tell them not to.
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/QM7R2c84jxkxTskZ7

Read up on the rules of the road. Bus lane only certain times Monday to Friday, and single yellow line prohibits parking within certain hours, which are marked half 8 to half 6 Monday to Saturday.

Wilton and several other roads are the same.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/QM7R2c84jxkxTskZ7

Read up on the rules of the road. Bus lane only certain times Monday to Friday, and single yellow line prohibits parking within certain hours, which are marked half 8 to half 6 Monday to Saturday.

Wilton and several other roads are the same.

Correct on Wilton, what people don’t know or see, is at the end of the bus lane where the 2 lanes merge there is a yield sign for those in the bus lane yet they keep driving. Plenty of accidents and near misses both there and at the Wilton Gardens junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

We've kind of done this all before on this thread, but I don't agree with them not just making bus lanes 24/7 and removing the ambiguity.

If they're needed for the buses and unavailable for us in cars at the busiest times of day, then they shouldn't be needed by us in cars at the quieter times either.

Speaking with a cyclist hat on, a shared bus lane can be almost as valuable as a bike lane, so potentially two birds with one stone there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mac Curtain Street is a free for all in or out of bus lane hours. Imagine what this place will be like when reverted to two way traffic.

The double parking on the Metropole side is quite something as well. How people feel they are entitled to double park their car on a driving lane is beyond me. You see this on Parnell Place as well.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The double parking on the Metropole side is quite something as well. How people feel they are entitled to double park their car on a driving lane is beyond me. You see this on Parnell Place as well.

And on South Mall.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yes you’re 100% correct now I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And on South Mall.

Absolutely. Double and even triple parking on the South Mall is a routine occurrence. Lack of enforcement has given people this sense of entitlement to park wherever they want. Traffic wardens are next to useless as their only concern is catching out people who are in legal parking spots but their disc is 10 minutes over. They turn a blind eye to actual illegal parking. And the gardaí don't give a shiite.

Another issue that needs addressing, not just during the ban but at all times. People tend to not give a fcuk and just park in these spaces. https://twitter.com/CorkGreens/status/1186626371579269121

Another issue that needs addressing, not just during the ban but at all times. People tend to not give a fcuk and just park in these spaces. https://twitter.com/CorkGreens/status/1186626371579269121

Yep, I frequently see big commercial vehicles parked in the local mobility impaired spaces at my local Super Valu. My local school regularly sees people park their SUV's on the footpath at collection time, with their children forced to walk on the road.
    I honestly don't know what can be done about this kind of behaviour. Maybe I'm only noticing it more nowadays, but it feels like it has got worse over the past 5 years or so, somehow.

Yep, I frequently see big commercial vehicles parked in the local mobility impaired spaces at my local Super Valu. My local school regularly sees people park their SUV's on the footpath at collection time, with their children forced to walk on the road.
    I honestly don't know what can be done about this kind of behaviour. Maybe I'm only noticing it more nowadays, but it feels like it has got worse over the past 5 years or so, somehow.

It's all dealt with in one phrase "Sense of entitlement"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just more and more cars/drivers in the same space I'd say, with the ridiculous size of SUVs contributing. Driving is getting more annoying and frustrating and people are running on fumes when it comes to being considerate and polite. You know like "it's taken me half an hour to get here, I'm running behind, people have been cutting me off and tailgating me and I caught every light on red, fcukit I deserve to park here"

Anyone living in an urban or suburban area driving a SUV should be hammered with extra tax imo, unless they can show they need it.

• Advertisement

There are currently proposals in German government to provide laws that allow the banning of SUV's from city centres. This was prompted by the deaths of three pedestrians at the hands of an elderly SUV driver in Berlin, who mounted the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

I am baffled at why the greens are raising this. They want all the cars with blue badges to be given official permission to ignore the Panaban and drive through Patrick Street. I think the most obvious thing to do to reduce volume of private cars ignoring the Panaban would be to close off access from Academy Street..
    The greens want to have blue badge owners join taxi drivers as an entitled group allowed to ignore ban. And of course nobody can critise it as this would be an attack on disabled sticker drivers.

I am baffled at why the greens are raising this. They want all the cars with blue badges to be given official permission to ignore the Panaban and drive through Patrick Street. I think the most obvious thing to do to reduce volume of private cars ignoring the Panaban would be to close off access from Academy Street..
    The greens want to have blue badge owners join taxi drivers as an entitled group allowed to ignore ban. And of course nobody can critise it as this would be an attack on disabled sticker drivers.

Academy Street is closed off from 3-6.30 or at least it was, basically as it is one way anyone who parks up before 3 is stuck there for the duration of the ban unless they decide to break the law which in the majority of cases is unpunished anyway. St Peter & Paul's place is the other spot for these spaces.

Academy Street is closed off from 3-6.30 or at least it was, basically as it is one way anyone who parks up before 3 is stuck there for the duration of the ban unless they decide to break the law which in the majority of cases is unpunished anyway. St Peter & Paul's place is the other spot for these spaces.
    Neither Academy Street or Paul Street are closed off from 3:00 -6:30. Cars are free to drive through them to drive onto Patrick Street
    These spaces have now become a Trojan horse in the fight against taking cars out of the city center
    Just very surprised that the greens are so naive to allow themselves to be used in this way.

Neither Academy Street or Paul Street are closed off from 3:00 -6:30. Cars are free to drive through them to drive onto Patrick Street
    These spaces have now become a Trojan horse in the fight against taking cars out of the city center
    Just very surprised that the greens are so naive to allow themselves to be used in this way.

I never mentioned Paul Street, St Peter &Paul's place only has 1 exit, onto St Patrick's Street, just like Academy Street, so anyone who is in those spaces during those hours is stuck there unless they wish to risk an unlikely fine.

I never mentioned Paul Street, St Peter &Paul's place only has 1 exit, onto St Patrick's Street, just like Academy Street, so anyone who is in those spaces during those hours is stuck there unless they wish to risk an unlikely fine.

Yes. But anyone now proposing that cars be blocked from using these streets to driving onto Patrick Street during the ban can now be accused of attacking the disabled thanks to the Greens.

Yes. But anyone now proposing that cars be blocked from using these streets to driving onto Patrick Street during the ban can now be accused of attacking the disabled thanks to the Greens.

Only if they are a badge holder, and if said holder is with vehicle which can be verified, on the back of the card are the holders details, if they aren't there then it's fraud, my child has one and we had to fight hard for it so stringent are the rules now.

Only if they are a badge holder, and if said holder is with vehicle which can be verified, on the back of the card are the holders details, if they aren't there then it's fraud, my child has one and we had to fight hard for it so stringent are the rules now.

But this means that the access streets can't be closed to any cars just in case cars with blue badges want to drive through pedestrianised areas.

But this means that the access streets can't be closed to any cars just in case cars with blue badges want to drive through pedestrianised areas.

It's not physically closed anyway, not in the same way that OPS is. one way to do it is through ANPR, badges can be assigned to certain vehicles like they can be at present, those not registered get fined, the onus should be on the badge holder to prove it in the event of a fine. Public transport isn't fit for a dog in a lot of cases, let alone the disabled. Are you wanting Cork to go down the Dutch model and have bicycles galore? St Patrick's Street isn't actually pedestrianised during those hours either, it's a bus lane just to clarify, i wouldn't want exemptions issued to drive down Winthrop Street,Cook Street,Marlboro Street (or OPS pedestrian zone from 11-5) as these are pedestrianised.

• Advertisement

But why do blue badge drivers need to drive through Patrick Street during the Panaban anyway?
    And the Greens argument seems to be that the access streets need to be kept permanently open in order to allow blue badge holders to park on then.
    Conditions to get a blue badge are not that onerous. There are a lot of them issued.

Advertisement