Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Steve F wrote: »
    No,most people ON THIS THREAD want snow :)

I have to travel by ferry from Dublin to Holyhead a week tomorrow (16th) and then drive down to the NEC in Birmingham.Anyone know what it's going to be like?Predictions of weather and road conditions?.Genuine question
    Steve

The motorways in the UK will be clear its just the people on them that are the issue, Once any snow hits its 10mph everywhere and not getting anywhere fast.

If there is some snow just leave more time to do the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Mooro wrote: »
    Long time lurker and very occasional poster on these threads but in my my experience if James Madden from Exacta Weather predicts anything the opposite usually happens :) Really hope this in not the case here. Looking forward to some snow.

Yeah,Madden and Rau,the author of that appear to be mates
    He left Madden out of his last article and I was hoping it was because on twitter he was constantly reminded of how madden is a spoofer
    Both are in their own little world
    Worse, some see articles like that for the first time and buy his fantasy forecasts off his site
    It really is something for BBC's watch dogs rogues gallery team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

afatbollix wrote: »
    The motorways in the UK will be clear its just the people on them that are the issue, Once any snow hits its 10mph everywhere and not getting anywhere fast.

If there is some snow just leave more time to do the journey.

Ha ha...love this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭Mech1

I notice all the posts before mine on the first page of this thread have been removed, making it look like I started this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

If charts can change for the worse, they can change for the better :)

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »
    WeatherOnline forecaster Simon Keeling said there is a chance winter could bite before the start of next year.

He said: “We are watching the threat of some very cold conditions perhaps affecting Scotland around the Christmas period.

So, next winter according to the article

horsefarm wrote: »
    Oh God you're probably right and I fell for it. I told my other half to order more oil last night as we are DEFINITELY getting snow.

If we get the oil it won't snow. If we don't get oil it will snow...decisions decisions

Order the oil. Order double!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

Mech1 wrote: »
    I notice all the posts before mine on the first page of this thread have been removed, making it look like I started this thread.

You could be famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mech1 wrote: »

Well spotted but posts weren't removed - they were tacked on to the beginning of Weathercheck's Thread
    Hmmm. The posts in question were moved from the FI charts thread to the General Winter Thread and for some reason they jumped from there to here later that eve. It may be related to the intermittent issues on Boards atm.
    All fixed now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I'm sticking to MT's daily forecast from now on. Generally accurate, always informative and very little dramatics.

Although a good Christmas Panto can be fun once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann there on RTE have the temperatures down to 1 by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just for those who don't follow these threads regularly, WB is not a man easily won over by charts showing cold spells. I can recall at least two apparently nailed on easterlies in the last 3 years which he said weren't going to happen given everything else going on in the northern hemisphere. Naturally he was completely right. So if WB (and MT, WC, Maq, Iancar, Kermit, Oneric 3 and the others we all know) are all seeing potential here still then there is still potential.

I think somebody needs to start up a meta-forecasting service, predicting the weather based not on meteorological data, but on signals such as the posting activities of the regulars named above, number of users online, and frequency of weather-related articles in the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

ectoraige wrote: »
    I think somebody needs to start up a meta-forecasting service, predicting the weather based not on meteorological data, but on signals such as the posting activities of the regulars named above, number of users online, and frequency of weather-related articles in the Daily Mail.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ectoraige wrote: »

Or we could just ask Boards if we could start a sub forum for weather predictions over in the Psychics and Mediums forum. Who knows, it might be more accurate than some of the predictions here, and it would provide the perfect place for the mods to move the "will I get 2 Ft of snow next wednesday" questions ;):D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Maybe the title of the thread could be changed to Significant cold spell expected At Some Stage :)

I wouldn't look beyond 96hrs at the moment and am looking forward to more of this seeing the sun and not getting wet at least.
    Will be colder regardless and hopefully much colder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

charts dont look nearly as good as yesterday at least for the east, looks more like snow mainly in Donegal, Mayo and Sligo. Hopefully this will change again soon to something more easterly and long term. Still a whole week to go, we've seen events disolve within 24 hours so extreme caution over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Or we could just ask Boards if we could start a sub forum for weather predictions over in the Psychics and Mediums forum. Who knows, it might be more accurate than some of the predictions here, and it would provide the perfect place for the mods to move the "will I get 2 Ft of snow next wednesday" questions ;):D
    adamstown1 wrote: »
    Will it snow in my back garden next Thursday..approx 3pm...Thanks

In fairness to me I just wanted to know what time it would start snowing in my humble back garden next Thursday :) .. 3pm would have really suited me. However if you can give me 2 ft on Wednesday ILL take it..Thanks:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

adamstown1 wrote: »
    In fairness to me I just wanted to know what time it would start snowing in my humble back garden next Thursday :) .. 3pm would have really suited me. However if you can give me 2 ft on Wednesday ILL take it..Thanks:)

Not taking a swipe at you specifically, that was why the smiley and wink were in there, in the scale of things, your question was at least possibly answerable, it's the ones where we don't actually know if the person concerned even lives within Ireland that get to be annoying. :rolleyes::D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Will someone please do a kindness and start lying at this stage. Not sure if I can take all this downgrade and depression lark... Again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Any chance the snow will hit north Clare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any chance the snow will hit north Clare ?

There isn't going to be any snow, so it's not going to hit north Clare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There isn't going to be any snow, so it's not going to hit north Clare.

That's the job...the good old reverse psychology! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

What about those snow drops I planted last year ?
    I feel like a right tulip now....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold outlook from Met Eireann ,update at 1529

Some dry, clear weather, but showers along the south and west coasts will become more widespread for a time this evening, falling as hail or sleet in places. The odd thundery burst is possible too. Cold after dark, with some further wintry showers at times, with a little snow in mountainous areas. Sharp ground frost will develop in places at various times also, leading to icy patches on untreated surfaces. Lowest temperatures -2 to +2 C.

Tomorrow

Saturday will continue cold, with frost and icy patches in places at first. But showery rain over Munster and south Leinster by dawn, falling as sleet in places and snow on hills, will push into remaining areas as the morning progresses. Drier and brighter weather with sunny spells, will follow from the south later. Top temperatures 3 to 8 C., best along the south coast.

Outlook

The weather will be cold over the coming week. Saturday night and all of the nights through the week will be very cold with sharp or severe frosts and icy stretches on roads. Temperatues will fall as low as -4 or -5 degrees on some nights during the week.

Sunday will be cold and bright with sunny spells in many areas. Some showers also, mainly in coastal counties. Highest temperatures of 4 to 8 degrees with mostly light breezes.

Monday will be similar. However it will be colder and some of the showers may be wintry, especially in the early morning or during the night. Highest temperatures of just 3 to 7 degrees.

Tuesday and the rest of the week will be dominated by mostly moderate north to northwest winds, which will make for very cold conditions with day time temperatures between about 2 and 6 degrees. There'll be a mix of sunshine and showers. The showers will be mainly in the west and north and some will fall as sleet or snow, especially on hills and mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Its january and it going to get cold? Well who would of ever thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

What about those snow drops I planted last year ?
    I feel like a right tulip now....
    Too late for snowdrops, they must have bloomed in November, my daffodils are giving me quite show this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another chart rolling out soon, it will either swing back giving the snowfest to the east or it will be another downgrade, lets see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »
    another chart rolling out soon, it will either swing back giving the snowfest to the east or it will be another downgrade, lets see what happens!

Don't know why as there's no basis for this, but I'm feeling positive for the former.

• Advertisement

Don't know why as there's no basis for this, but I'm feeling positive for the former.

yesterday the charts were showing a week long run of bitter north-easterlys from scandinavia with the possibility of lots of snow. Earlier today they were showing 3 days of cold north-westerlies with wintery showers along the west and north-west followed by a mild south-westerlies after 3/4 days, huge difference! Lets see what this evening brings us, could totally change again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement