Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Believe this or not.

In Sligo town this cold spell did not usurp the freezing night we had in October when a temperature of -0.5c was recorded. Could have been early November but dont remember because I thought we were in for one of the coldest Winters. Maybe February.

Current cold spell minimum on my station is 0.5c. Granted I think it may read slightly high but still await a minus 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow left in horseshoe. Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was pretty frosty up here in the NW last night, although it wasn't as bad this morning as I had feared listening to the weatehr forecast. They had mentioned -5c.

I am thinking thats the worst of the cold over now for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Wicklow Mts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snow is starting to melt here, the mud will soon be visable again, avalanches from the roof can scare the crap out of you, was nice while it lasted, thick low cloud with a little drizzle. 3.7 C

(S.E Sligo, high ground)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hate to spoil the party....-7 currently here in Southern Poland, 18cm snow. Just in from floodlit skiing and sledging with the kids. This coming week temps as low as -20.

I'll post some pics when I get the chance to look through my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Seems like this thread will have to die a death soon, apart from maybe some isolated frost tonight. Went up Djouce earlier on and it was very snowy/icy. Will leave one picture in here, the rest are over in the weather pictures forum.

FlNHAs3.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My coldest day this Winter so far this Winter under very thick cloud. I still have a maximum temperature of only 3.5c and I got down to -6.2c last night.

What a difference 20km can make!

On this side of town we had a low last night +2.1C here, calm day with good sunny spells and an afternoon high of 8C, the highest for nine days. :)

The lawnmowers were out.

Average high the past seven days 5.3C; average low 1.9C which gives an average temp of 3.6C or 1.4C below average.

Still no air frost since 23rd November here despite three days on which snow fell and stayed on the ground, albeit only during hours of darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Wicklow Mts today.

Do you mind me asking where exactly that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where exactly that is?

Car park near the Wicklow gap by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cold spell almost seems like a distant past already it was so unremarkable for the majority of us. Damp, wet drizzely day and right now its almost a mild night, still damp and wet. Certainly won't get anything near a frost tonight. Temps currently 5+C almost nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snowing all over the UK at the moment. 23:50.

London Heathrow - Light Sleet
    London Gatwick - Light Snow
    Manchester - Light Snow
    London Luton- Light Ice Pellets
    Birmingham - Moderate Snow
    Liverpool- Light Snow
    East Midlands- Light Snow
    Leeds Bradford- Light Snow

It has been Snowing up at Glasgow, Prestwick and Edinburgh earlier but that's stopped.

Meanwhile in Ireland
    Dublin - 5c
    Shannon - 4c
    Cork - 5c
    Belfast - 4c - Light Drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Winter's certainly not over yet, I have a feeling we'll get another bite of the northern cherry soon enough. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Winter's certainly not over yet, I have a feeling we'll get another bite of the northern cherry soon enough. :)

hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks. Once the last week of February is at an end thats when the curtains fall down. March is always too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Snowing all over the UK at the moment. 23:50.

London Heathrow - Light Sleet
    London Gatwick - Light Snow
    Manchester - Light Snow
    London Luton- Light Ice Pellets
    Birmingham - Moderate Snow
    Liverpool- Light Snow
    East Midlands- Light Snow
    Leeds Bradford- Light Snow

It has been Snowing up at Glasgow, Prestwick and Edinburgh earlier but that's stopped.

Meanwhile in Ireland
    Dublin - 5c
    Shannon - 4c
    Cork - 5c
    Belfast - 4c - Light Drizzle

It's been snowing in mittenwald as well,I'm not being funny but the fact that it has been snowing in the UK is relevant is because??

It's been snowing in mittenwald as well,I'm not being funny but the fact that it has been snowing in the UK is relevant is because??

We are right beside the UK and it's alot warmer here?

Was that not heavily implied?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I cut the lawn earlier today, spring here already.

We are right beside the UK and it's alot warmer here?

Was that not heavily implied?

The variables in weather terms can be vast between the UK and Ireland.

The variables in weather terms can be vast between the UK and Ireland.

My point.

My point.

Not really.why not post the current weather in France,Germany,Bulgaria? The point I am making is that posting the weather in the UK is hardly relevant to our weather.I,m not getting into an argument with you because I know I will only end up getting your thank o meter into skyhigh figures :) I bid you goodnight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Night Droidman123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

After last nights freeze, a light layer of snow is covering everything to give that "icing sugar" look to the place.

It does indeed, pity it was only for some of the day, (ironically it was all gone by the time Eva+her sugar rant came on tv)
    Yeah, that's the higher humidity Ireland. Cold weather in Canada would be dryer - most regions anyway, Vancouver has a similar climate to Ireland.

When the humidity is high during cold weather, the water vapour penetrates the pours of your skin and makes you feel colder.

This is even noticeable in Ireland. I'd much rather be outdoors when it's -8*C on a clear and frosty night than +8*C on a wet and windy night.

I don't know much on weather, but I've heard someone in Ontario the winters in Vancouver, could be very rough & could the humidity explain no snow on Dec 25?
    Trogdor wrote: »
    It would appear that some people are not seeing user's sigs for some reason (where Oneiric has specified his location as Galway), I would suggest hovering over your username -> then control panel -> then edit options (in the bar on the lefthand side) and then look for "Show Signatures" which should have a tick next to it. Beyond that I am not sure what the problem is.

Thanks, i didn't know that, must be turned off by default?
    Mafra wrote: »
    Villain wrote: »
    A northwesterly rarely delivers much Snow except for obviously in the north.

We can but dream of December 2010 when most saw some lying snow

What an absolutely beautiful image! ðŸ˜

Here's a few images, inc one of Dec 2010, hopefully it's not too late to post

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

With no sub 0c temperatures this morning, I think we can safely say this 'cold spell' is over and the thread has run it's course!

Until the next time...carry on posting here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057483044

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement