Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Yeah, sugar sandwiches and worse, an uncle of mine used to eat brown sauce sandwiches.

Heh, my husband still does!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Our "recent history?" It was 170 years ago!

exactly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I'd never even heard of haslet before this thread.

The small pizza's we used to sometimes have were called King Harry's I think.

I remember when Knorr Quick Lunch's came out we used to pester our folks for them but were hardly ever allowed such junk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

My grandparents had a big dairy and beef farm and had a massive chest freezer choc full of 'mate (field to cattle box to butcher to car boot to freezer).

Dinner used to be roast beef nearly every day between 1 and 2.

'Tea' was between 6 and 7 and was either a small fry, or breadcrumbed fish (sole or plaice) or a salad usually with deviled eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

OOh yes! Hot pot dried dinners! Little plastic pot like some types of noodles. You added boiling water and it was supposed to turn into a full meal, with tiny cubes of dried potato, "meat" "mushroom" etc.

Perfect student food apart from being expensive and wasteful of packaging. Didn't last long, I think.

There used to be an Erin Dried Potato Flake that even pre-dated Smash, it was absolutely vile, like soap flakes. Turned into a greyish sludge.

And there were Instant Packet Dried "Chips", just like little orange matchsticks in colour and consistency.

I'm loving this thread, it has opened whole seams of memory. Wasn't it Proust who wrote a book based on that? Memories opened by the taste of a childhood food?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

katemarch wrote: »
    I'm loving this thread, it has opened whole seams of memory. Wasn't it Proust who wrote a book based on that? Memories opened by the taste of a childhood food?

"In Search of Lost Time (French: À la recherche du temps perdu)—also translated as Remembrance of Things Past—is a novel in seven volumes by Marcel Proust (1871–1922). His most prominent work, it is known both for its length and its theme of involuntary memory, the most famous example being the "episode of the madeleine.""

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lia_lia wrote: »
    What are these sugar sandwiches that yer on about? Is it bread butter and sugar? Never heard of anything like that! Mad!
    They're mega, so they are. Has to be crusty bread and proper butter though.
    MrWalsh wrote: »
    You just reminded me, a Sunday treat was a block of ice cream in a tall glass of red lemonade!

Sounds gross, we loved it.
    They were gross. I always dreaded getting one at a birthday party, especially a coke float. An orange one isn't too bad, it tastes a bit like a melted super split.

Tripe. There's something you don't get any more. I think my butcher would fall over if I asked for some, especially after his confusion when I tried to buy mutton from him. There's something else you don't often see; mutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

anncoates wrote: »
    Think there was a brand called Shipmans too. Fish or meat paste, kinda like pate.

This is an absolute delight:

https://twitter.com/shippamspaste

Highlights:
    not shippams paste @ShippamsPaste · 3 Nov 2011
    for a lunch time treat try a sandwich
    not shippams paste @ShippamsPaste · 19 Oct 2011
    remember to learn something new every day today i learned about seo for e-business and that tuna is a fish

and my all time favourite:
    not shippams paste
    @ShippamsPaste
    theres no vegetarian pastes sorry but why not try the crab spread its only crabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

When we were growing up my mother observed the "no meat on fridays" rule, but we didnt always have enough money for fish (or none available) so sometimes fridays dinner was chips, eggs and beans. When we were a bit older the "no meat on friday rule" was forgotten and it was chips, eggs, sausages and beans. A real treat if there was also gravy!!

I personally hated any "organ" dinner - liver, kidney, tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

katemarch wrote: »
    @Kwiecien

There was also a substance-in-a-jar called simply "Sandwich Spread". Possibly sold by Heinz?

It looked exactly like vomit. Sorry, but it genuinely did!

That's still on sale in a lot of places. The taste is best described as coleslaw made with salad cream. I quite like it as a one off, which is why I haven't tasted it in over 2 decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Course while we were still all being duped that cereals were healthy and not massive bowls of sugar...... we used to eat huge bowls of kellogs AND add about a quarter inch of sugar on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Feijoas! I miss them!

Yeah none of you know what the hell they are! A gorgeous fruit that you don't seem to be able to get here. We had a feijoa tree and I used to stuff myself with them when they were in season.

My mum was a really good cook. We always had gorgeous dinners, dessert and baking. I'm a pretty good cook too, to the point little Kiwi doesn't like having dinner at other peoples places and the neighbours kids always hang around me when they come over and I'm in the kitchen.

My maternal grandma is Greek so we got loads of the lovely mediterranean style food that my mum grew up with when we were kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Tayto cheese & onion sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My other half said "Oh yeah, I remember brawn. What was it made from?"
    I have no idea; anyone care to enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

fussyonion wrote: »
    My other half said "Oh yeah, I remember brawn. What was it made from?"
    I have no idea; anyone care to enlighten us?

It's like spam, wasn't it? Processed pink "meat" in a huge roll that they used to slice with a electric slicer.

Or am I mixing it up with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

calvita cheese yuk

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone remember United bars, biscuit, chocolate and honeycomb, beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Sausages, mash and beans was one of my favourite dinners as a child. Chop the sausages into little pieces and mix it all together :)

Crumpets wrote: »
    Sausages, mash and beans was one of my favourite dinners as a child. Chop the sausages into little pieces and mix it all together :)

Stick the sausages into the mash sticking up the way just like in the comics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Fried onion and tins of spaghetti..

And my fav turnip sandwich!

Here was me thinking that I was the only one who loved turnip sandwiches!

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Stick the sausages into the mash sticking up the way just like in the comics :D

Like the way The Bashstreet Kids did in the The Beano!!

Champion Cheese: came in a blue box with pictures of footballers on it.
    Used to love that on crackers.

Irish Stew: came in a yellow tin and although I'm against meals in tins, this was actually gorgeous..the potatoes in it were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Mashed potato with beans through it and a pork chop is one my fondest memories from the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

When our milk was delivered in glass bottles and there would be an inch of cream on the top.Fighting over that at breakfast and also the "dust" at the end of the cereal packet.
    My dad was out of work for a while during the 80's and dinners for a long time were mashed potatoes and packet soup poured over. Even now I have this fear of not being able to put food on the table.

Also my brothers loved salad cream sandwiches,which was handy because often that's all was in the house. Myself not so much,therefore I was a very skinny child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

maryfred wrote: »
    Here was me thinking that I was the only one who loved turnip sandwiches!

Not so much in sandwiches but I loved (and still do) raw turnip chopped up in chunks and dipped in a little salt. Delicious.... (Hate the cooked variety though)

Clare crudités...

And "Little Dinners", "Knorr Quick Lunch" and "Vesta" curries, just some of the disgusting processed crap I ate as a teenager....

Does anyone remember the cheese sambos one day and corned beef sambos another day in school?

Does anyone remember the cheese sambos one day and corned beef sambos another day in school?

I hated corned beef when I was younger (not the decent meat you'd have for Sunday dinner but the sliced stuff)

Funnily enough I quite like it now but I would never, ever eat it in a sandwich back in the day!

kfallon wrote: »
    I hated corned beef when I was younger (not the decent meat you'd have for Sunday dinner but the sliced stuff)

Funnily enough I quite like it now but I would never, ever eat it in a sandwich back in the day!
    The hanley corned beef they sell in SV is amazing on turnover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Tapioca with a dollop of ice cream. Could eat it all day. Unfortunately it takes ages to make.

• Advertisement

The hanley corned beef they sell in SV is amazing on turnover

Must check it out!

Advertisement