Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Cold sausages? (ew!can't believe use eat that)
    Mashed spuds coverd in chicken soup
    Alfabet spaghetti
    Onion ring and ice cream from supermacs.. Yeah can tell I had some weird eating habits!! Long changed now though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Cold sausages? (ew!can't believe use eat that)

Ah yes, Id forgotten this about cold food.

My parents used to go out on a Saturday night and get chipper food on the way home, theyd get an extra bag of chips and leave them for us for the next day. Cold chipper chips. Loved them. Still do if Im honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

katemarch wrote: »
    I have this in my kitchen press right now. Best before End of June 2017.
    Are they the ones from Roscommon? they are lovely but my wife looks at me in disgust when I cook one

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I'd love a smiley bar now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Boarding school food still makes me gag. Awful stew, lumpy as **** custard, unidentified meat, chilli that'd burn the roof off your mouth, awful smelling fish, sausages burnt to the extent they were rock hard, ugh. I'm just glad there was always normal bread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

You're all very fancy with your boarding school stories. I was lucky to walk miles in the rain to get hassle from the nuns.

eternal wrote: »
    You're all very fancy with your boarding school stories. I was lucky to walk miles in the rain to get hassle from the nuns.

Luckily I was taken out of a school that was run by nuns at a young age - they were cruel.

But your mention of them reminded me of something. Remember the school milk scheme? The government delivered little cartons of milk to schools and all the kids got free milk. In my school there was no refrigeration facility and the nuns used to leave the milk cartons sitting out in the sun all morning before doling them out to us at lunchtime. Warm putrid milk. Even to this day I gag if milk is not chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Luckily I was taken out of a school that was run by nuns at a young age - they were cruel.

But your mention of them reminded me of something. Remember the school milk scheme? The government delivered little cartons of milk to schools and all the kids got free milk. In my school there was no refrigeration facility and the nuns used to leave the milk cartons sitting out in the sun all morning before doling them out to us at lunchtime. Warm putrid milk. Even to this day I gag if milk is not chilled.

Yeah same here.
    The milk was left sitting on the window-ledge in the corridor from morning til lunch and it was always warm.

And remember those ghastly corned beef and processed cheese sandwiches on thick brown bread, delivered in plastic bags?
    We used to slag anyone who ate one.

And we used to get currant buns on a Wednesday (currants always tasted burnt) and chocolate muffins on a Friday.
    Thinking about it, a bun and a muffin hardly constitutes a lunch, does it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yeah same here.
    The milk was left sitting on the window-ledge in the corridor from morning til lunch and it was always warm.

And remember those ghastly corned beef and processed cheese sandwiches on thick brown bread, delivered in plastic bags?

And we used to get currant buns on a Wednesday (currants always tasted burnt) and chocolate muffins on a Friday.
    Thinking about it, a bun and a muffin hardly constitutes a lunch, does it?!

Choccie muffins and sandwiches in plastic bags....la di dah:)

I remember the sandwiches, complete with curly edges arriving on a manky metal tray, and little bottles milk. one time it was so cold, the milk froze in the bottle and we had to kinda dig it out with pencil:eek:

I think that was in early June;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The most unusual food we were given as kids was SMASH and something called 'sandwich spread' which was a kind of mulched down coleslaw muck. Oddly we were only allowed that in summer time.

Its a wonder we made it past puberty to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

We just got the milk , if you were lucky. Or unlucky , really warm horrible milk :(

Remember being sent for to get the Batch bread, just once , as I ate all the middle out of it on way home , not a happy mother when I presented her with what was the frame of the bread, crust with no middle :D

fussyonion wrote: »

Brown bread? Thats fancy - ours were on white bread.

Actually my husband was having a rant about his mother one time and cited the horrible corned beef and processed cheese sandwiches that he was forced to have for his school lunch - he forgotten it was the government scheme and not his poor mammy who was to blame!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I remember the milk. It was thick and we used to try to make it come out of our noses whilst drinking it.

Anyone else eat rabbit stew growing up?? Loved it , haven't had it in years though. And duck and pheasant . Eat or be hungry , so we ate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think we always had white bread, with the exception of the odd bit of soda bread. I can't stand white bread now, anytime I have it it just tastes like soggy dough, unless it's some snazzy overpriced crusty loaf from a bakery. I'll still choose brown/seeded bread over white bread any day.

Tinned fruit is another one, we'd have either pears/peaches or fruit cocktail with ice cream on sundays. When Neopolitan ice cream came on the market we thought we were very chic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When Neopolitan ice cream came on the market we thought we were very chic. :D

Nobody liked the yellow part tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

kfallon wrote: »

I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

I was in Junior Infants in Dublin and the school I was in used to get the free milk. Does anybody remember Benny Bunny milk? I can't even remember what it tasted like, maybe orange or strawberry? We used to get the milk delivery for 11 o'clock break and everyone would be falling over each other to get the Benny Bunny milk, there used to be only a few cartons of that and the rest was plain milk. I think on Fridays we used to get a biscuit? I could be remembering that wrong though.
    I was in Junior Infants in 1992/1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Aromat on bread. Toast bread. Smother toast in butter.

Used to be an addiction when younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have just remembered Boiled Chicken.
    Better than it sounds, it was old hens that my grandmother killed after a long happy life, and simmered until they nearly fell to pieces. You can't get chickens that actually taste like chicken anymore - I've tried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

YurOK2 wrote: »
    I was in Junior Infants in Dublin and the school I was in used to get the free milk. Does anybody remember Benny Bunny milk? I can't even remember what it tasted like, maybe orange or strawberry? We used to get the milk delivery for 11 o'clock break and everyone would be falling over each other to get the Benny Bunny milk, there used to be only a few cartons of that and the rest was plain milk. I think on Fridays we used to get a biscuit? I could be remembering that wrong though.

I was in junior infants 10 years previous and I remember it! That, and 'Cool Crocker'. Drinking one while reading a Siamsa! Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

kfallon wrote: »
    Neopolitan, Like a pikey girls knickers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I have just remembered Boiled Chicken.
    Better than it sounds, it was old hens that my grandmother killed after a long happy life, and simmered until they nearly fell to pieces. You can't get chickens that actually taste like chicken anymore - I've tried!

Your taste changes as you get older. It's not the chickens. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

YurOK2 wrote: »

Used to get milk every day in the early 80s.

And a completely flat cheese or corned beef sandwich (essentially a cardboard sandwich with either rubbery orange or brown filling) or a scone once a week.

Home made Bread and butter pudding, or rice pudding, was a great way to fill little stomachs if there was a house full of kids, if we got back up from bed saying we were hungry, bread and jam or sugar sandwiches :) Think I'm a lot older than a lot here ha

@mechanical Clocktail - it IS the chickens. About twenty years ago I bought a Capon from a local butcher and cooked it - to my astonishment, it brought back a rush of memory - it tasted like the muscular chickens of childhood (ie, it had a taste!)

When I asked the butcher if he could get those again, he told me that the EU had banned it - apparently the capons were castrated by chemical means, dosing them with lady hormones. Not good for my sons!

But 'twas then I knew that it wasn't only my taste buds that had changed; the meat had a real flavour, something modern chickens rarely do. I've been looking squint-eyed at cocks ever since. ;-)

[QUOTE I've been looking squint-eyed at cocks ever since. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I've been looking squint-eyed at cocks ever since. ;-)

:eek:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

@mechanical Clocktail - it IS the chickens. About twenty years ago I bought a Capon from a local butcher and cooked it - to my astonishment, it brought back a rush of memory - it tasted like the muscular chickens of childhood (ie, it had a taste!)

When I asked the butcher if he could get those again, he told me that the EU had banned it - apparently the capons were castrated by chemical means, dosing them with lady hormones. Not good for my sons!

But 'twas then I knew that it wasn't only my taste buds that had changed; the meat had a real flavour, something modern chickens rarely do. I've been looking squint-eyed at cocks ever since. ;-)
    That's strange, we eat capons here in France quite regularly. They aren't banned here!

• Advertisement

Ivy, maybe they are surgically castrated, not with hormones. Would make sense. I don't know why this cant be done in these parts!

Advertisement