Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's still excitement in the house to this day when me Ma makes a couple of apple tarts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Party rings/Iced gems always remind me of going to a birthday party! So I still buy them now when sorting out parties even though there's no kids around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The phenomenon of sugar sambos (on white bread) were not unknown in my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Those slices of ham with the face of a bear or something on them...cant remember the name of them??

We used to cut out the eyes and noses - kind of weird now that I think about it. still would mind having one right now though

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

*come in from playing football*
    "MAM?"
    "WHAT?"
    "CAN I GET SOMETHING TO DRINK?"
    "THERE'S STUFF IN THE FRIDGE!"
    *opens fridge - sees flat TK Red Lemonade in end of the bottle*
    "Oh ffs - I'll go thirsty"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

My gran used to make dog food sandwiches before she was put in that home, and strangely enough, I used to really like them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Fried onion and tins of spaghetti..

And my fav turnip sandwich!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Fried eels every Sunday morning after my father went fishing on Saturday. I loved them at the time but one day they just started to repulse me.

There was constantly bloody, dead rabbits on the kitchen floor after my father had been out shooting. I can still clearly imagine the smell of their innards. As soon as I was old enough to light the cooker I vowed never to eat another rabbit, or pheasant, ever again.

Some junk food I remember fondly are Barry McGuigan crisps and Pink Panther Bars. The Pink Panther Bars were a bit like a Milky Bar but were pink chocolate and had a kind of strawberry flavour.

I think there were a few varieties of Barry McGuigan crisps but I loved the tomato flavour ones. I collected some tokens from the packets and joined the Barry McGuigan fan club although I had absolutely no idea who he was. I started watching some of his fights and acted like I had an interest in boxing but in reality I only liked him because of his crisps. As far as I'm concerned he's still a crisp producer first and a boxer second.

I loved Coke sodas, ice cream and Coke mixed together. I couldn't afford ice cream and a bottle of Coke so I would buy a small can and a Golly Bar.

Then there was Corcorans drinks. The cola was horrible but it was the only cola I knew for years. The orange was nice enough but the fizz would make your throat feel like it was melting. I'd love to see a Corcorans label from the eighties now. There was a nice picture of Carlow Castle on them as the factory was in the town near the River Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Cheesy Sausages!

Jesus I'd love one of them right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Shenshen wrote: »
    My mother is a decent enough cook, I would say. But she's not the least bit inventive unfortunately. She would do some 10 different dishes and that's it. Now, most of them she does rather well, but I would run miles before I would touch any of them ever again, I'm just so sick of them.

Being German, she particularly likes her potato dumplings. I don't think I'll ever be ready to face those again.

Ahh, the old Kartoffelklossen or Solvite Snowballs and sauerbraten. Talk about sitting in your belly like a fucking cannon-ball

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Egginacup wrote: »
    Ahh, the old Kartoffelklossen or Solvite Snowballs and sauerbraten. Talk about sitting in your belly like a fucking cannon-ball

The way my mom made them they would actually glue your mouth shut, first...

Now, Semmelkloesse I love. Still do. Light and fluffy and tasty. But she never ever made those. And my husband doesn't like them, so I rarely get to make them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

My Grandmother used make the best soda bread, she always had it timed where it was just coming out of the oven when arrived, so we had lovely fresh warm bread when we arrived and red lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jelly and icecream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Fish Fingers,
    Macaroons,
    My Girlfriend Kim's Fanny,
    Chipper Chips
    Corned Beef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Billy Rolls were the business.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

My mother was a great cook.
    Weekday meals were the usual....bacon and cabbage, stew, shepherds pie, smoked cod pie, chops peas and potatoes with gravy, fishfingers beans and mash when the cupboard was bare. She was a dab hand and the baking too (and she had a bit of a sweet tooth) so no shortage of apple/rhubarb/gooseberry tarts, buns, sponges, scones, flans and trifles. Good thing I was active or I'd be a blimp.

But some Saturdays when she couldn't be arsed cooking anything she'd make a mountain of corned-beef, sliced onion and salad cream sandwiches cut into triangles. If you came in after playing football and had any semblance of hunger on you could almost O.D. on these things such was the addictive bingeing. A tankard of strong sweet tea helped pack them down into your belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Getting a serious nostalgia buzz from all of this!

Spag Bol
    Sweet n sour pork (from the jar, with cardboard pork and bland rice, the stuff of nightmares!)
    Vienetta
    Romantica
    BNs
    Monster Munch (when I was allowed them!)
    Champion Crisps (around the time of the 94 World Cup)
    Burger Bites
    Wagon Wheel biscuits
    Bruiser bars
    Milky Moos and sparklers
    Push Pops
    Pokemon lollies (pay god knows how much for the sake of a little plastic Pikachu on a stick!)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Haslet(some sort of luncheon roll,dunno what the click was in it,probably don't want to either!)is something you couldn't pay to eat now,manky stuff. Me nanny would us toffee yoghurts in superquinn,loved them dunno if I'd eat them now though.

It was good stuff the auld Hazlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭worded

Denny sealed pies in a tin with pastry on top = death to you in a can. You wouldn't feed it to a dog now.

Packets of savoury dried rice = just add water and boil to slowly kill your self. More Es in that than a scrabble factory

There was some right muck around

Mostly the folks fed us healthy with lots of fruit. It was rare we got curries so I love them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I feel like every meal I had up til I was about 10 was accompanied by a mound of half mashed potato. The lumps made me gag, but my ma was feeding 8 of us so I can imagine she just gave up mashing through exhaustion.
    She discovered pasta and rice in the 90's which really shook things up!

And Birds' trifle every Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

OK: time for old-timer's reminiscences...

Back when I were a nipper, string of kids in the family, if my mother hadn't much in the house or needed to make a quick emergency supper she did this:

Heat some milk in a saucepan, pour into a bowl for each child. Into this she would break up some bread - using Batch bread as I recall, or crusty bread of whatever kind was available (it could be stale, economy plus point)
    Sprinkle the whole contents with white sugar, eat with spoon. It was lumpy and sort of stodgy, but quite satisfying as well as sweet.
    We called this bread'n'milk stuff Naydee, but when, years later, I described it to my grandmother (born in the late 19th century) she told me that it used to be a basic part of most children's diet back then and in her family it was called "goody".

There yez are now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Monster Munch crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Campbell's meat balls....dog food for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I love dripping and bread, haven't had it in ages. And ketchup sandwiches in microwave for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Loved those little pizzas in the red plastic bag the OP mentioned.
    Grill 'em and serve 'em browny black, almost burnt.
    Delicious.

Also had Potato Waffles, Crispy Pancakes and who remembers those Big Al's Quarter Pounders you used to microwave for two minutes?
    They were flipping gorgeous!

I also remember eating this baguette, which came in paper, and was filled with chicken, cheese and spicy salsa, which you cooked in the microwave for about five minutes.

I always brought tuna sandwiches and orange juice to school for my lunch and even to this day, drinking orange juice and eating a tuna sambo brings me right back to my schooldays.

BN-BN biscuits were horrible biscuits!
    Onken yogurt-filled chocolate balls, Onken FrooFroo yogurts, Kinder Pingui, Kelloggs Fruit Winders and Dairylea Pizza Dunkers were always in the shopping trolley of a Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Bovril on toasted white bread is my number one comfort food, my nanny passed away when I was five but she always used to give me that when she minded me, I think I love it so much cos it's my little way of remembering her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

What's bread and dripping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Dripping, also known usually as beef dripping or, more rarely, as pork dripping, is an animal fat produced from the fatty or otherwise unusable parts of cow or pig carcasses

Spread it on bread, delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tenement food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

An essential aperitif to Hovis, tuberculosis and short trousers.

Advertisement