Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Still eat them, love it.

I thought dennys stopped making pies in a tin??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The bread, I'd forgotten the bread!

Batch bread really WAS made in batches, came as a sort of sheet of loaves, with dark domed crusts rising up like cobblestones.
    They would break one off, leaving a soft, pulled crumb surface called "the fly's walk".
    There was often a sort of flap or strip of loose bread hanging from it so you could pull that away and eat it on the way home. Sometimes this hollowed out a regular little shallow cave in the side of the loaf...

There was also a version of the loaf called a Duck, (shaped something like a Calzone) and another shape called a Turnover, which was folded into a sort of L-shape and also "batched" along the sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

deco nate wrote: »

Steak and Kidney pie in a tin, it's over 1,000 calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Dunnes used to do an own brand steak and kidney pie in a tin. Contained the nicest gravy in the world.
    eternal wrote: »

Yeah. I used to fall asleep after one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mashed potato with beans through it and a pork chop is one my fondest memories from the 80's

Still get this occasionally...with two sausages on the side.

My memory of it growing up was that every time without fail I wouldn't have enough beans to mix with the potato and have a big dry chunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I was in LIDL one day and a junkie came in and and shouted at staff that he was looking for a steak and kidney pie "IN A TIN!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tapioca with a dollop of ice cream. Could eat it all day. Unfortunately it takes ages to make.

Ambrosia do it in a tin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Funny, while my mother made lovely apple and rhubarb tarts and the like, all you ever wanted was Angel Delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ambrosia do it in a tin
    And dealz sell it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

고양이와 독수리

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

fussyonion wrote: »
    My other half said "Oh yeah, I remember brawn. What was it made from?"
    I have no idea; anyone care to enlighten us?
    anncoates wrote: »
    It's like spam, wasn't it? Processed pink "meat" in a huge roll that they used to slice with a electric slicer.

Or am I mixing it up with something else.

As far as I remember it was neon pink in colour processed sliced meat that you got at "the counter" (it wasn't sold in packs).
    It wasnt the texture of spam though. It was like a cross between sliced corned beef and pork, onion and tomato roll(there's another one from the past :D)

I dread to think what it was made from considering the makers thought the best way to sell it and make it in anyway possible appealing, was to make it that colour :(

Mmm, tasty tasty calories :) dennys made the best,
    All others can feck off

All others can feck off

All others can feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I remember the excitement, many, many moons ago, when we had a Vesta curry.

They used to advertise every night on the Tele and there were loads of flavours.

Couple of years back I got nostalgic and got one again. What utter sh1t. It was awful. We had to get something else to eat :o

Jesus, I remember those well, my introduction to "exotic" food. As a matter of interest, where did you buy them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

deco nate wrote: »

Im pretty sure they still make them only had one last year, i get the ones in dealz now by some english company.

Jam roly-poly with hot custard. Why is this not sold everywhere?

A type of spicy sausage that was used in sandwiches. Don't be put off by its grey colour.

I see wiki gives as liver, heart, lungs - all good stuff :D

Lips, eyeballs and assring. Plus "flavouring":)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Candie wrote: »
    Jam roly-poly with hot custard. Why is this not sold everywhere?
    Is that not just swiss roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Is that not just swiss roll?

Thats what i thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Sundays in the granny's the adult always had a roast of some kind,us kids?pink meat....was feckin gorgeous only found out recently it was cow's tongue... Oh the betrayal!
    Was bloody lovely all the same!

Anyone remember rissoles? God only knows what was in them.

Also spice burgers, washed down with Slainte Orange, moxey stuff altogether.

Cassidys on Westmoreland st. Do have buckets of old school bars and lollies and crips for free,class pub to boot.

Club shandy 0.5% alcohol, loved them when I was a nipper,might have cometh to do with my love of gargle now.....

5.15?!? Christ,tis time for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grouchyman

Always remember rice pudding had it on a Friday.. Loved the burnt bit from the bottom of the saucepan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Billy Roll, Pop Tarts and those apple pastry yokes you could get in Superquinn back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Im pretty sure they still make them only had one last year, i get the ones in dealz now by some english company.
    Fray Bentos pies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Findus Crispy Pancakes deep fried in a pot of orangey-brown cooking oil with burned black crumbs floating in it. Every so often my mother would strain the oil through an old pair of tights. The tights were clean but it makes me retch to think about it. When a pot of nice new clear cooking oil was used it felt like all my Christmases and birthdays had come at one.

I don't recall ever having anything with the pancakes. No chips or potatoes. Just a couple of pancakes on a plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Does anyone remember the frozen food section in the old Crazy Prices in Kilbarrack. I think it was unique in that it was a massive walk in freezer that you walked around

Advertisement