Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Sundays in our house- the roast (chicken/beef/lamb/pork) went into oven before Mass. Always served with mashed and roast potatoes and 2 veg. Mondays were leftovers -vile. Tuesdays we had chops, mashed spuds and carrots. Wednesdays we had bacon, cabbage and mashed spuds. Thursdays we had mince meat, browned on the pan and served with turnip and mashed spuds. Fridays we had fish fingers, home-made chips and beans. My mother always called Saturday 'mix-um gather-um' day. We'd have rashers sausages, pudding, fried tomatoes and fried eggs, and on Sundays we started all over again. To this day, I celebrate Fridays because I don't have to eat fish fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Findus crispy pancakes and sunday roasts cooked to the consistency of leather. As teenagers we had a worrying amount of microwave lunches and dinners.

Mcains microwave chips, microwave kebabs, microwave pizzas, microwave curry meals, microwave burgers. The kebabs had to be the worst, frozen pitta with the meat inside, i'd say dogs ate better quality meat.

The early 90s was the death of homecooked food in ours, both parents were working and as kids we often made our own meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was in college before I realised that poached salmon was an actual dish, and that the restaurant wasn't obtaining the fish the way we used to. :P

Always the standard meat and two veg for me growing up, apart from the occasional sweet and sour chicken or beef curry. Vienetta was the big treat, once or twice a year job. Them round white ice pops once a week, were they Fizzlers or Pizzlers or something?

Homemade scones and jam though, they were the business. I make my own now and again, never turn out the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

In a fit of nostalgia I bought and made some 'Angel Delight' a while back, perhaps after tasting a good lemon posset's, a wonderful Belgian chocolate mousse or a 'delightful' raspberry souffle, going back to a childhood staple was a bad idea. It didn't just not taste like I remembered it did, it tasted so foul it ruined my childhood. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

yorlum11 wrote: »
    It was good stuff the auld Hazlet.

Jaysus,ye mustn't have a taste bud in yer head at all!
    He don't by any chance know what's in it by any chance?!?
    (Not sure I really want to know,but still curious all the same)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

RayM wrote: »
    Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke.

I used to through boxes of them when I started smoking dope,and yes,burnt to a crisp was the best way,once the 'cheese' turns black your good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I was a very fussy eater but to be honest my parents don't really do a good job on Irish food. It can be made well but it really needs some seasoning. Mam does do a great stew but she's always really stingy on the pepper/worcestershire/garlic or any other flavours.

I refused to ever eat cabbage so it was bacon & spuds. Plain as ****.:D

Waffles, beans and a fried egg was always a nice snack. Birdseyes Chicken burgers were lovely but feck all in them really.

As a snack we'd have corn flour thickened with milk. Add some vanilla, sugar and yellow colouring and it's the poor man's mustard. Seriously, the Birds "Custard" that you buy is literally just that, it's not custard at all. It was created for people with egg allergies and somehow dominated the market. Actual custard (cream & egg) is a different beast all together.
    Katgurl wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned gammon steaks with the pineapple ring on top.

Gammon!! Used to have it a fair bit. We didn't have any fancy pineapple on it though.. but she did make her own apple sauce. I was shocked when I saw apple sauce on sale in a supermarket, i didn't actually know you could buy it. It's so basic.:o

We had liver a fair bit too, my mam would dredge it in a bit of flour on it (seals the juices in it) and then add some worcestershire sauce and a bit of mustard on top. Fry it with onions. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Used to love the Hazlet too . It's best not to think where it came from though. Probably failed the standards for cheap sausage filling and was downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Corn Flakes with hot milk.I used to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Corn Flakes with hot milk.I used to vomit.

its the only way i will eat them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My mother was a very good cook and I normally ate anything that was put in front of me with the exception of Stew. I can not stand the stuff and am very iffy with Lamb in general.

The smell of lamb now is enough to make me sick.

I also can't eat mint tic tacs anymore. I used to eat so many of them when studying and doing exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My mother was a very good cook and I normally ate anything that was put in front of me with the exception of Stew. I can not stand the stuff and am very iffy with Lamb in general.

The smell of lamb now is enough to make me sick.

I also can't eat mint tic tacs anymore. I used to eat so many of them when studying and doing exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Nesquik Chocolate milk powder for making your own shakes.

katemarch wrote: »
    We called this bread'n'milk stuff Naydee, but when, years later, I described it to my grandmother (born in the late 19th century) she told me that it used to be a basic part of most children's diet back then and in her family it was called "goody".

I love hearing ephemeral sort of historical information like that!

For me:

Kinder surprise
    romantica
    atomic fire balls
    findus crispy pancakes (who *isn't* that a nostalic food for!)
    mi wadi lime
    pear drops
    mr freeze (again, universally nostalgic i would guess)
    "smily" bars would be one of the most nostalgic things i can imagine tasting again, if only they still existed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My very earliest memories of sweets are of Aniseed Balls ("AnsyBalls") in a twisted newspaper cone, 12 for a penny.

That was quite some time ago...

And my mother used to make gingerbread, dark and sticky: and Baked Apples, runny with juice and a clove in each and the sharp pips never quite all got out!

And oh lordy: Milk Puddings, anyone remember those? Sago, Ground Rice, Semolina. Sometimes with a slice of orange but most often with a clot of red jam. Why oh why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We had liver a fair bit too, my mam would dredge it in a bit of flour on it (seals the juices in it) and then add some worcestershire sauce and a bit of mustard on top. Fry it with onions. Yum.

Love liver too. The butcher usually gives us a load for nothing (can't sell it I suppose.

The Mrs hates though - so its just me and the dog :D
    anncoates wrote: »
    Used to love the Hazlet too . It's best not to think where it came from though. Probably failed the standards for cheap sausage filling and was downgraded.

Another one of my old tasties too. Used to be able to get it in the local shop here until a couple of years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think we had mashed potatoes with every meal, except for the odd day we'd have homemade chips and Sundays we'd have roast potatoes as well as mash. I couldn't stand the stench of liver, I've never tasted it, the smell alone turns my stomach. There were a few occassions were I was forced to sit at the table staring at liver congealing on the plate and told 'you'll sit there until you eat it'. I never did eat it, although in fairness whenever we had liver funds would have been tight, but when you're a kid you don't realise those things, even if I had known I still couldn't force myself to try it.

Breakfast was always Ready Brek, Corn flakes or Weetabix. I remember visiting cousins of ours when we were kids, they were the same age as us and were allowed to have white bread with lots of sugar sprinkled on it for breakfast every day. Even as a kid I was appalled at that.

A mystery more piquant than white pepper: what IS Haslet?

Always at the service of my fellow-foodies, I take up my magnifying glass and head out in pursuit! Stand by for reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother is a chef and my Dad is a brilliant cook, so luckily we had fairly alright meals growing up! My Mother is a vegetarian so we very rarely ate meat. Nut roasts and lentil stews weren't exactly typical Irish meals :o The one thing she always cooked as a "quick" meal was macaroni cheese. Not the pre-packed stuff...was just very fast to make the sauce and throw on the pasta. So that is my main comfort food meal really!

Never even heard of those crispy pancake things until someone mentioned them on Boards...they sound rank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

katemarch wrote: »
    A mystery more piquant than white pepper: what IS Haslet?

A type of spicy sausage that was used in sandwiches. Don't be put off by its grey colour.

I see wiki gives as liver, heart, lungs - all good stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Mother is a chef and my Dad is a brilliant cook, so luckily we had fairly alright meals growing up! My Mother is a vegetarian so we very rarely ate meat. Nut roasts and lentil stews weren't exactly typical Irish meals :o The one thing she always cooked as a "quick" meal was macaroni cheese. Not the pre-packed stuff...was just very fast to make the sauce and throw on the pasta. So that is my main comfort food meal really!

Never even heard of those crispy pancake things until someone mentioned them on Boards...they sound rank!

Oh, that just brought me back!
    My gran (on my father's side) is Austrian, so her cooking was very different from my mom's. She used to make this incredible sweet and sour lentil stew... I'll have to try and find the recipe for that somewhere, it was so yum.

She would also make something called Boehmische Dalgen (I couldn't translate that for love nor money), sweet little cakes fried in a special pan that had dents in it so they'd come out the right shape. Think Madeleine's, only moister. You'd eat them hot and dip them into sweet lemony quark. We would fight over those.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

was the haz-a-let not bought in very thin slices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

I used to go mad for these yolks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Hazlet, perfectly square spices of processed corned beef, coddle, oh I loved coddle. Stew as well.

Crispy pancakes, only the chicken and bacon ones. Tiny little pizzas that were just base, sauce and cheese.

I always hated liver but I loved boiled corned beef and cabbage.

White bread, I haven't had it in years now!

Reports back:

According to my detailed research, Haslet is a meatloaf: made from a mixture of pork innards such as guts, lungs and intestines as well as actual "meat", mixed with breadcrumbs and seasoning. The whole to be baked in a loaf tin and thinly sliced when cold.

My recollection of the stuff is that it was greyish and pasty, tasting mainly of the spicy seasoning if you were lucky enough to hit a good batch.
    Not that much actual Pig in it, I judge.

I haven't seen it for years: would almost like to try it again out of sheer curiosity!

Any recent sightings of Haslet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have fond memories of the Irish stew my Mother would make. I've never been able to reproduce it to my satisfaction. I may be getting nostalgic about how it tasted, but it was amazing in its taste and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Remember when cheesy sausages were a think. I think they just used milk proteins as a bulking agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Stew and dumplings...delicious.

Block of icecream with wafers for desert, if there weren't enough wafers you'd have to make do with one broken in two

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Used to love when my dad had to make my school lunch jam sandwiches or sugar sandwiches with a club milk bar and a bag of monster munch and a bottle of score! A petit filous was thrown in for good measure. Wouldn't eat a sugar sandwich now though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

boobar wrote: »
    Block of icecream with wafers for desert, if there weren't enough wafers you'd have to make do with one broken in two

You just reminded me, a Sunday treat was a block of ice cream in a tall glass of red lemonade!

Sounds gross, we loved it.

Advertisement