Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was given instant mashed potato in France recently. It was served in a dog dish. It was the worst part of a meal so terrible that I actually burst into tears sobbing "this is the sort of food I left home to avoid". The whole outstandingly awful meal appeared to be war rations, though, so maybe I was just in a corner of France where they haven't yet heard about the armistice.

Were you at some sort of ironic restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

kylith wrote: »
    Were you at some sort of ironic restaurant?

Or petshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

On the strength of this thread I'm "making" (tinned) fruit cocktail and (packet) custard for dessert. Hubby will be in his element. :)

Well I went one step beyond and gave him a choice or Vienetta or custard with his fruit cocktail. He thinks all his Christmases have come together. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

We were staying at a family run hotel in the off season. No chef on so the mammy slung the dinner at us.

Starters were ham for one, melon for two. The ham was three slices of cooked ham from a packet, slapped on a plate with a knob of butter and a mini gherkin, the melon was a small melon cut in half with the seeds scooped out, put in front of us on one tray to share. Not so much as a slice of bread or a leaf of lettuce in sight. The mains were boiled tripe sausage (black with white lumps) or rabbit in mustard sauce that was so salty it was inedible. The rabbit was also served in a dog's dish. It was when the only sides that were put down was two bowls of Smash that I burst into tears.

We were on our way back from a disasterous holiday and this hotel was the last stop, and they'd made us wait outside for an hour while they had their dinner, so we'd spent that hour reading the huge, delicious-sounding menu posted outside and planning which delicacies we were going to feast on. Being told that the entire menu was off and all we could have was inedible slop that resembled meagre war rations served in dog dishes was bad enough but Smash. Smash! I felt personally offended at being handed Smash, and I'd rather eat 3 dog dishes of rabbit-in-salt-sauce than eat a single mouthful of Smash.

Advertisement