Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Alphabetti Spaghetti

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

deco nate wrote: »
    Mmm, tasty tasty calories :) dennys made the best,
    All others can feck off

Frey Bentos is your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Findus Crispy Pancakes deep fried in a pot of orangey-brown cooking oil with burned black crumbs floating in it..

Even reading that is turning my stomach. Would say it was the norm in a lot of houses back then, along with the yellow stain on the wall above the pot/fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ardmacha wrote: »

I put them in a pot and boil them.

Delicious.

eternal wrote: »
    Is that not just swiss roll?

No, it's a suet rather than sponge pudding:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13354/jam-rolypoly

Served with steaming custard, the only good thing about school dinners for years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone mentioned dairylee or calvita cheese triangles yet?
    Deliciously rubbery, yet creamy, cheese in a silver foil that was a muthafupping bitch to pick off with your fingernails.
    There were very odd days you'd manage to get the foil off in one go, but sometimes would end up eating some of it in the process.
    They went lovely as a spread in sambos also.
    The laughing cow ones just freaked me out though. No wonder mad cow disease was discovered not long after I few remember seeing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

54321 bars

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Candie wrote: »
    No, it's a suet rather than sponge pudding:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13354/jam-rolypoly

Served with steaming custard, the only good thing about school dinners for years. :)

Isn't that a British thing? We weren't so well off over here, ye fancy-dans :p

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

I find that to be very true. Also i do not think what i eat when i was still with my parent as changed that much. Only that i eat more sugar than before.

kfallon wrote: »
    Isn't that a British thing? We weren't so well off over here, ye fancy-dans :p

I'm a Brit. Boarding school highlights of the menu were Crispy Pancakes and Jam Roly Poly.

It wasn't as bad as it sounds. :)

• Advertisement

I'm a Brit. Boarding school highlights of the menu were Crispy Pancakes and Jam Roly Poly.

Boarding school highlights over here was usually soggy biscuit :pac:

The Jam Roly Poly does sound nice tho!

When you were younger 20p would sort you out for every trip to the shop, 1 packet of Frosties sweets and a packet of meanies!

When you were younger 20p would sort you out for every trip to the shop, 1 packet of Frosties sweets and a packet of meanies!

20p? You're definitely older than me!

20p? You're definitely older than me!

Age is but a number my dear!!!

10p for the frosties and 10p for the meanies!

Does anyone remember Tip-Top drinks! They were just like flat coke and orange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Looking at the Fray Bentos tins reminded me of when we used to go to visit relatives in Drogheda in the 70's and we'd play with kids from across the street making mud pies in the old pie tins and decorating them with broken glass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

It sounds YUMMY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

ardmacha wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to have to try one. Purely for research purposes

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Boarding school highlights over here was usually soggy biscuit :pac:

The Jam Roly Poly does sound nice tho!

In my case it was beef that you could use as a caterpollot

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

Country style Luncheon Sausage (Huge Waterford thing). Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

A chub of "Austrian smoked cheese".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just remembered the mini chicken kiev balls, They were nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cold tongue in salads or sandwiches. Complete with taste buds. :-( Needed a LOT of mustard.

On a really poor dinner Sunday, we used to have Ox Heart. It was actually tasty enough, (though they tell me now that its full of cholesterol) but you could actually see Ventricles and chambers and little tubes etc

Eating a Biology lesson, a bit graphic, even with gravy. You never see such meats nowadays, even kidneys are a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have this in my kitchen press right now. Best before End of June 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Age is but a number my dear!!!

10p for the frosties and 10p for the meanies!

Does anyone remember Tip-Top drinks! They were just like flat coke and orange!

I remember those days alright! And if you were really flush you could get a bag of mega meanies for 15p! You'd be licking your fingers for ages afterwards!

Saw a 5 pack of chomp bars for €2 the other day and remembered I used to buy them for 10p each. Robbing b*stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Cannot eat spaghetti bolognaise anymore because it was such a staple dish in my childhood completely repulsed even by the thoughts of the taste of it.

Never understood the obsession with it during the 80's and 90's, there's far nicer pasta dishes, but I suppose that boils down to preference.

Depends how it's made - classic bolognaise is very, very heavy and practically all mince beef.

I grew up with a really vegetables, herby, light sauce with wine in it.
    Topped with Parmesan and fresh basil.

Still love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Birds Eye Chicksticks (think fishfingers, but chicken instead of fish).
    They still sell them now, under the name Chicken Fingers, and my God they're still as nice as ever.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Saw a 5 pack of chomp bars for €2 the other day and remembered I used to buy them for 10p each. Robbing b*stards!

Never liked chomps....and don't get me started on Smiley Bars!
    fussyonion wrote: »
    They still sell them now, under the name Chicken Fingers, and my God they're still as nice as ever.

I was gonna try these last weekend, decided not to but may do so soon on your recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

katemarch wrote: »

And Tipsy Cake, that would have seams in it of other cakes that had been brought back: topped with a layer of pink icing and tasting strongly of - er - I think it might have been Brandy Flavouring Essence. I loved Tipsy Cake, would demolish it now if I had it in front of me.

It was deliciously rich.

Loved arctic roll also.
    Always had it for dessert when we visited relatives up north.
    Had it a few years ago and it wasn't as nice as I'd remembered.

Aromat - I found out recently that it is MSG

I used to smother pasta in Aromat as a student. I used tons of the stuff. Thought it was a mix of herbs and spices, didn't realise it was msg. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

They even use that in professional kitchens.

Advertisement