Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

anncoates wrote: »
    The phenomenon of sugar sambos (on white bread) were not unknown in my childhood.

What are these sugar sandwiches that yer on about? Is it bread butter and sugar? Never heard of anything like that! Mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Fruit pastilles before I copped on that the sugar is way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

AND does anyone remember Mixed Fruit Jam? (vile sweetish red paste)

And I remember being able to buy Broken Biscuits, loose, from a big square tin, a quarter-pound at a time in a paper bag.

And Tipsy Cake, that would have seams in it of other cakes that had been brought back: topped with a layer of pink icing and tasting strongly of - er - I think it might have been Brandy Flavouring Essence. I loved Tipsy Cake, would demolish it now if I had it in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

MrWalsh wrote: »
    You just reminded me, a Sunday treat was a block of ice cream in a tall glass of red lemonade!

Sounds gross, we loved it.

Only TK Lemonade here or even 'Country Spring' brand I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And we all had these (usually throw in with your sandwiches for a school lunch)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I used to have to go to my friend's place for crisp sandwiches because my mother said they were 'bad eating'. I never heard anything like sugar sandwiches ever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

RayM wrote: »
    Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke.

You could get something similar in Dunnes about 10 years ago. When I looked at the ingredients it wasn't actually cheese it was something horrifyingly called 'Analog Cheese Flavour'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

eternal wrote: »
    I used to have to go to my friend's place for crisp sandwiches because my mother said they were 'bad eating'. I never heard anything like sugar sandwiches ever.

Yeah, sugar sandwiches and worse, an uncle of mine used to eat brown sauce sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I used to get Haslet in Tescos a year or two back, not sure if they still sell it.
    It was gorgeous, but anything like that has plenty of scope to be made from the best ingredients or the worst scrapings.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

whiskeyman wrote: »
    On the flipside, after years of excess and 'celtic tiger', we've new generations who couldn't care less about throwing out good food, and full items not even opened.
    My parents generation wouldn't have dared throw our or waste anything.
    For a country where a million died, and lots more seriously affected, in a famine in our recent history, we have a very flippant attitude towards food waste.

Anyway, that's probably all for a different thread!

More old skool foods:

Findus crispy pancakes (serious horsey goodness!)

As a cub of the celtic tiger my mam's ways of not wasting much food seems to have rubbed off on me, and she told me about her mam making food rations stretch and no waste of course back in the day. I have brought food home from restaurants if there was a good bit left for the dog, and I don't usually buy fresh food til it gets all used up etc.

My housemates on the other hand are the opposite, even in the bathroom a bottle of shampoo in the bin still had 1/4 left in it (it was a transparent bottle). If I had my own restaurant I'd probably consider offering a small discount if the plate came back clean - the amount of food waste in restaurant is pretty high!

Anyway comfort food....stew, and I make it like the way it was made at home (everyone else's version of stew I've tried so far haven't been as good). Usual roasts like everyone else here too. My diet nowerdays is nothing like before, and much healthier as I was overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Forgot to mention jellytots, those things must have ruined children's teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

neenam wrote: »
    Forgot to mention jellytots, those things must have ruined children's teeth!

I eat them all the time now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Is it bread butter and sugar?

The very one.

an uncle of mine used to eat brown sauce sandwiches.

I did too.

I'm not your uncle, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The five of us used to go round the countryside getting up to all sorts of adventures before skipping home for tea...trifle, spotted dick, toad in the hole and lashings of ginger beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Coleslaw sandwiches.and benny bunny at school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

whiskeyman wrote: »
    On the flipside, after years of excess and 'celtic tiger', we've new generations who couldn't care less about throwing out good food, and full items not even opened.
    My parents generation wouldn't have dared throw our or waste anything.
    For a country where a million died, and lots more seriously affected, in a famine in our recent history, we have a very flippant attitude towards food waste.

Our "recent history?" It was 170 years ago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

katemarch wrote: »
    A mystery more piquant than white pepper: what IS Haslet?

I don't know, I'd say nobody wants to know either,his foul...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodDryingDay

Kfallon mentioned Roy of the Rovers..I'll never forget these because I had a wiggly tooth not quite ready to fall out until it got stuck in said bar and I had no option but to pull. arrgh I can still feel it. So many bad bars, Dan, Wham, Stinger, Refresher & the Time bars (yellow wrapper with the clock).

Think Conorhal said Angel Delight. This was my fave, had to be butterscotch flavour.

Others I remember from childhood are
    Spam - ham in a can
    Semolina with blob of jam - rancid
    chicken roll - scarily pink
    banana sandwiches - with sugar
    battenberg cake - next fave after angel delight
    oh and a summer of JR ice pops and Fat frogs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Reports back:

According to my detailed research, Haslet is a meatloaf: made from a mixture of pork innards such as guts, lungs and intestines as well as actual "meat", mixed with breadcrumbs and seasoning. The whole to be baked in a loaf tin and thinly sliced when cold.

My recollection of the stuff is that it was greyish and pasty, tasting mainly of the spicy seasoning if you were lucky enough to hit a good batch.
    Not that much actual Pig in it, I judge.

I haven't seen it for years: would almost like to try it again out of sheer curiosity!

Any recent sightings of Haslet?

Sweet jesus don't! I'm so sorry I asked. For the love of God, no!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

Anyone remember Chicken and Ham Paste? It came in a little jar and you would spread it on bread or cream crackers. I used to love it!

Haven't seen it for at least 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

anncoates wrote: »
    I did too.

I'm not your uncle, btw.

Me too. Brown sauce sandwiches made your brain think there was meat in the sandwich :D

Stew, coddle, pork chops(once a week), fried egg with mash and beans or sometimes Batchelors processed peas, liver and spuds, sliced corned beef with mash(:o). Only ever roast chicken on a Sunday(no roast beef or lamb :() Pigs feet with cabbage(not as bad as it sounds :eek::P)
    I still love fried liver and onions with spuds.
    But tripe??? Thats where I drew the line.
    I used to dread the smell of it.

Speaking of hazlet...does anyone remember Brawn?
    It was illuminous pink coloured sliced "meat" with a jelly like substance and was grotesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Kwiecien wrote: »
    Anyone remember Chicken and Ham Paste? It came in a little jar and you would spread it on bread or cream crackers. I used to love it!

Haven't seen it for at least 20 years.

You can still get that!
    I used to love it(google Princes sandwich paste :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Smidge wrote: »
    You can still get that!

It's disgusting filth. I tried to hide the cat medicine in some of it but even the cat wouldn't touch it and that's saying something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tiny little pizzas that were just base, sauce and cheese.

:o Thats what i used to think pizzas were like for years:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

worded wrote: »
    Denny sealed pies in a tin with pastry on top = death to you in a can. You wouldn't feed it to a dog now.

Still eat them, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Kwiecien
    Anyone remember Chicken and Ham Paste? It came in a little jar and you would spread it on bread

There was also a substance-in-a-jar called simply "Sandwich Spread". Possibly sold by Heinz?

It looked exactly like vomit. Sorry, but it genuinely did!

Smidge wrote: »
    You can still get that!

Think there was a brand called Shipmans too. Fish or meat paste, kinda like pate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

@Kwiecien

There was also a substance-in-a-jar called simply "Sandwich Spread". Possibly sold by Heinz?

It looked exactly like vomit. Sorry, but it genuinely did!
    I loved sandwich spread! It was kinda crunchy and spicy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Heinz potato and vegetable "salad" in a can. I'd still eat the vegetable one if I got it.

Also their canned macaroni cheese, the mere thought of it today makes me vomit!

Advertisement