Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options
  • 19-05-2015 2:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

Sometimes I feel that people are drawn towards food because of what they were fed growing up. You could either try to recreate the taste or be repulsed by it. As adults, we can attempt to feel secure by surrounding ourselves with reminders of being young or 'safe'.
    Growing up we always had roast chicken/lamb/beef on Sundays with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska. I never thought about it but as a comfort now I would eat those things. Is there any food you like because of your childhood? Or have you been completely turned off by certain foods you were force fed when young?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Venison steak ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

there was a severe lack of food during my childhood. so i would eat deep fried rat, and be thankful for it. 20th century 2nd world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Cannot eat spaghetti bolognaise anymore because it was such a staple dish in my childhood completely repulsed even by the thoughts of the taste of it.

Never understood the obsession with it during the 80's and 90's, there's far nicer pasta dishes, but I suppose that boils down to preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

eternal wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel that people are drawn towards food because of what they were fed growing up. You could either try to recreate the taste or be repulsed by it. As adults, we can attempt to feel secure by surrounding ourselves with reminders of being young or 'safe'.
    Growing up we always had roast chicken/lamb/beef on Sundays with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska. I never thought about it but as a comfort now I would eat those things. Is there any food you like because of your childhood? Or have you been completely turned off by certain foods you were force fed when young?

I was a very picky eater up until my late teens.Nowadays ill eat whatever is in front of me,the one thing that repulses me is raw onions,the smell makes me gag.I must say,I wouldn't have minded growing up in ur gaf,we never got deserts :( do you have road frontage?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I was a very picky eater up until my late teens.Nowadays ill eat whatever is in front of me,the one thing that repulses me is raw onions,the smell makes me gag.I must say,I wouldn't have minded growing up in ur gaf,we never got deserts :( do you have road frontage?

My grandmother was a professional cook and my mam loved cooking. We weren't well off but she always made the effort with food. All my friends called for the grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

My parents used to work long hours when I was young and commute so dinner was often leftovers, most commonly cottage pie (which I don't like as much due to over use), lasange but we moved closer to my granny and I would go there after school, she was a meat and vege cooker, meatball stew, pork chops etc. but my aunt in law was Asian and she'd cook these amazing Asian dishes and I think thats why I love Asian and spicy food but I also like Italian food and apple crumble as my Mum cooked that at weekends. I mostly hate tuna and all shellfish (allergy to some find the others gross and rubbery) but no particular type of food other then that, so I'm not too picky. I find Asian food (curries in particular) and meatball study nostalgic and comforting. The only foods my parents turned me off was liqouice (cough syrup/supposedly healthy snack), pomegranate and prawns though I later developed an allergy to prawns so that wiped it off my menu. My parents had a trick with vegetables so I like all of them now (bacon pieces makes everything better from turnips to sprouts).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

RayM wrote: »
    Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke.

Tesco still do them,pretty much exactly the same,dirt cheap as well.

Haslet(some sort of luncheon roll,dunno what the click was in it,probably don't want to either!)is something you couldn't pay to eat now,manky stuff.
    Me nanny would us toffee yoghurts in superquinn,loved them dunno if I'd eat them now though.

Petit filous,the bee's knees bought a six pack last week (gone within 10 mins of getting home,delish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Tesco still do them,pretty much exactly the same,dirt cheap as well.

Yellow packs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

First time working and living away from home I bought SMASH out of pure home sickness. I was after poking fun at some of my foreign housemates food so they got a laugh at the powder becoming goo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 girlafraid

Beanfeast- it was out in the late'80's and came in a box, it was dehydrated stuff, you just added water and there were several flavours, chilli being the nicest. I haven't seen it in years. It was ridiculously cheap as well, less than a quid for a box with 4 servings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Readybrek. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke. dose of the sh1ts it would give.

Probably closer to the truth... :D

Noblong wrote: »
    First time working and living away from home I bought SMASH out of pure home sickness. I was after poking fun at some of my foreign housemates food so they got a laugh at the powder becoming goo.

Yeah, still remember the vile vile taste of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

That's a blast from the past, I remember my brother making triple decker pizza sandwiches with those. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

Haslet(some sort of luncheon roll,dunno what the click was in it,probably don't want to either!)is something you couldn't pay to eat now,manky stuff.

I was trying to describe that to someone the other day, they had no idea! It wasn't bad as part of a salad plate but god awful stuff in a sandwich. Think you're right about not questioning what was in it but it was never short of pepper corns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Used to love waffles & beans. Always had them on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bacon and cabbage we had mostly for dinner, chicken or beef on a Sunday, breakfast would have been Ready Brek or bread and a boiled egg.

Simple food back then growing up in a farming area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I remember the excitement, many, many moons ago, when we had a Vesta curry.

They used to advertise every night on the Tele and there were loads of flavours.

Couple of years back I got nostalgic and got one again. What utter sh1t. It was awful. We had to get something else to eat :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In before aongus posts something you'd find on William and Kate's elaborate wedding menu.

For me, Creamola foam, my grans soda bread, and baked spuds done, wrapped in foil from her old stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Growing up we always had roast chicken/lamb/beef on Sundays with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska.

La de dah!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

My mother is a decent enough cook, I would say. But she's not the least bit inventive unfortunately. She would do some 10 different dishes and that's it. Now, most of them she does rather well, but I would run miles before I would touch any of them ever again, I'm just so sick of them.

Being German, she particularly likes her potato dumplings. I don't think I'll ever be ready to face those again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My dad used to mash parsnip into the spuds to try to get it past you. Even now I distrust mashed potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I miss Dodo steaks the most - gorgeous with boiled Ramekins and broth. Dinner just isn't the same now they're gone.

I had a Toffee Crisp every day for my lunch in school. Can't touch them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska.

Well la di da missus......ice cream wafers and tinned fruit cocktail for all us peasants!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When I were a lad we got a kick in t'arse for breakfast and a punch in t'mouth for dinner - and we were happy to get it.

kfallon wrote: »
    Well la di da missus......ice cream wafers and tinned fruit cocktail for all us peasants!!! :(

That's cos she grew up with a professional cook. I took it for granted tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I ate unreal amounts of toast when I was growing up, loved the stuff!

Still do if truth be told :o

Advertisement