Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

To be fair review the posts since Sunday the majority of the views have been waterford are ahead and in the driving seat

I answered your question already but I will say it again
    Cork don't have the confidence or panel to beat Waterford twice and kk showed how difficult beat clare at home two weeks in a row where's as with all injury etc still have better panel and more successful than cork to do it but they struggled

Now I hsve a question for you
    What in the last four years have waterford done at minor senior etc to show their hugely ahead of cork and surely you agree in head to head cork are at least equal but won last two championship games

Also would you not agree cork refused make one change to the system four points down at half time and had like I said all week up the game to be fair had four injury concerns
    Would you not agree I was right I called it during the week and at half time I said cork would fall away
    My point is surely you can see this was not the real cork Sunday
    Most neutrals I talk to and cork men agree

Look do I think that cork will leave their full back line inside in June if Waterford play this system no, maybe they left the two boys in the corner to protect Aidan ryan on his debut I don't know. Do I think Murphy will be the spare man in June no, cork gave their most inexperienced backs the most important jobs.
    Waterford got two soft frees and a cork point waved wide in the second half, we got a soft goal, Lehane hit the crossbar - that could have been a lot closer game we got all the breaks going.
    As you said what have this Waterford team done in four years, nothing, re read my posts I have said already that in Jan 2015 Waterford hurling was in the horrors, I expected a beating against Wexford, Galway, Tipp and Cork..
    I have said that until Waterford do something in Munster they will still be ranked 5/5 regardless of Sunday and I wouldnt be surprised to see the opposite result in June (it now makes that game very hard to win for Waterford) right so none of that is hype, that is all realism.

So as you say, Waterford have done nothing for a few years, we were in a desperate state after last year, we felt totally untried, why would cork think before Sunday they didn't have the panel to beat us twice? Why would the cork team not seem to work hard at all? That's the part I don't get. dont believe the hype talk, going into Sunday we were still brittle, Cork could have taken us down Sunday and it would have really been a blow to us for June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The point in Corcorand book was that he felt the cork players at the time were not afraid of Waterford as they felt that they could match Waterford for ability and also that the cork players had a better temperament collectively to a man.

Here I feel Corcoran was right, we had some outstanding hurlers but we had some guys who we needed whose behaviour would not have been put up with by Kilkenny or cork at the time.

Ranging from lazy, to selfish, wild pulls, giving out to refs, drinking, suspensions, rumours around the place look we all know the individuals... But these guys got away with it cause we needed them.

Pat Mulcahy said another thing Sunday, he said this is a new crop of Waterford players not like any he has seen, he said they are tenacious, hard working with an unreal ethic for the team, he said they are level headed , another words not like the guys he came up against.
    Think of some of the pr!cks we had to put up with they wouldnt last now on this panel, the team is much more grounded and plays like it.
    Lot valid points and to correlation the past with the present now imo no cork player now like then fears any waterford lads now as last few games cork have won
    I wouldn't agree with you calling any players pr#### as that imo is bit personal be fair

I'm a harsh critics myself field players but never like use that word

For all people don't like my views fair enough but some then are imo quite willing to be too strong with calling players that word
    That's wrong in any county

This group your right are grounded so far but there was no expectations up to Sunday now the real tests comes as everybody expects now

It irks me that the only people on here who are dragging the waterford players names through the mud are people from outside the county who know nothing of the players personal character. They are just twisting it to suit their own argument that waterford are a bunch of over-hyped primma donna wannabes and trying to build us up for a big fall. It just proves the level of absolute bull**** that these people speak. As if it needed to be proved

To be fair one yere own just called ex players a awful word
    I certainly haven't but have yes correctly with in reason questioned Sunday

Your putting words in poster mouths now to be fair
    Nobody said they were prime donna but the hype and expectations would naturally get to them after winning something for the ist time in a while and thru shouldn't get carried away

When cork hurling I posted the paper link on cork thread today won league title in 98 cork lads got standing ovation after training Tuesday heading for the game v clare
    Cork were arrogant and cocky
    Ist trophy in five years but it imo was not true great tradition cork that suddenly we were applauded for a league title as heroes week before we played all Ireland champions got ovation winning a league title
    Young cork team learned fast from the then all Ireland champions
    The hype when you're not used to winning is actually an skill in itself to deal with and one waterford will like all teams have to learn to cope with to go the next level

Dublin Galway limerick three row under twenty one winners also suffered in huge hype but never won at senior
    Point is one win doesn't guarantee anything but championship is the true test of time
    Not munster finals imo but ist round is winner takes all in guaranteed an all Ireland quatre final if cork or waterford win in June

Look do I think that cork will leave their full back line inside in June if Waterford play this system no, maybe they left the two boys in the corner to protect Aidan ryan on his debut I don't know. Do I think Murphy will be the spare man in June no, cork gave their most inexperienced backs the most important jobs.
    Waterford got two soft frees and a cork point waved wide in the second half, we got a soft goal, Lehane hit the crossbar - that could have been a lot closer game we got all the breaks going.
    As you said what have this Waterford team done in four years, nothing, re read my posts I have said already that in Jan 2015 Waterford hurling was in the horrors, I expected a beating against Wexford, Galway, Tipp and Cork..
    I have said that until Waterford do something in Munster they will still be ranked 5/5 regardless of Sunday and I wouldnt be surprised to see the opposite result in June (it now makes that game very hard to win for Waterford) right so none of that is hype, that is all realism.

So as you say, Waterford have done nothing for a few years, we were in a desperate state after last year, we felt totally untried, why would cork think before Sunday they didn't have the panel to beat us twice? Why would the cork team not seem to work hard at all? That's the part I don't get. dont believe the hype talk, going into Sunday we were still brittle, Cork could have taken us down Sunday and it would have really been a blow to us for June
    I answered why cork couldn't beat ye twice
    I gave a detailed post with specific examples
    That's my point you agree in January waterford were poor
    My point is they have improved but division two is poor, Galway never show up, tipp good win but cork wasn't the real cork so that my point landscape hasn't changed greatly imo from Sunday

No not necessarily as if cork exposed Sunday system and there is flaws there hsve no doubt we gave ye five weeks to change it
    We were imo totally wrong to show our full hand Sunday
    Loosing to cork once ye have a good qualifier is good for Waterford
    Cork loose in June have no doubt it's a disaster and likely end jbm imo and some cork lads
    I fear jbm after times interview Saturday would possibly walk

Also as said limerick thread by a waterford poster waterford player said they were training since November so there imo fitness ahead cork who really only got going in end December fully

Cork footballers were fitness wise ahead of the rest all league but once Dublin negated it we had huge problems
    So that must be taken in to account also imo

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Some good articles in today's Examiner, including one comment where it says "every team of the last 17 years that played in the League final then played in an All Ireland final with the next 2 years".

Keep early September free for the next few years. Just need Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett on the scene, plus Gleeeson has to be switched up front (playing fine as it is but what damage he could do further up the field).

First congrats on the win, fully deserved. And as a KK man, ignore the nonsense about it only being the league and Cork playing a dummy side. KK and Tipp in the last few years have proved the worth and merit of taking the league seriously. It should stand to you.

However, that stat is nonsense. In the last 17 years, KK and Tipp have been in the league final 18 times so there have been 16 other finalists. The KK Tipp combination given how many recent all Irelands they have contested will skew the numbers.

Of the 16, Waterford in 1998 and 2004 didn't follow up with an all Ireland appearance within 2 years. Neither did Tipp in 2003, Clare in 2005, Galway in 2008, Cork in 2010 and Dublin in 2011. Ignoring Tipp '03, that is 6 out of 16 finalists. Waterford actually have the worst record historically during that period for translating league success (by getting to a final) into all Ireland final success.

And KK 6 times and Tipp once are the only teams to have done the double.

Celebrate your win, a great one, but don't be booking your holidays for Croke Park in September just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Jamie Barron was left out of team of the league, fair enough I know there are a lot of Waterford lads there already...but this guy surely deserves to be in there no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Meanwhile, over at PRoC...

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Pudders wrote: »
    First congrats on the win, fully deserved. And as a KK man, ignore the nonsense about it only being the league and Cork playing a dummy side. KK and Tipp in the last few years have proved the worth and merit of taking the league seriously. It should stand to you.

However, that stat is nonsense. In the last 17 years, KK and Tipp have been in the league final 18 times so there have been 16 other finalists. The KK Tipp combination given how many recent all Irelands they have contested will skew the numbers.

Of the 16, Waterford in 1998 and 2004 didn't follow up with an all Ireland appearance within 2 years. Neither did Tipp in 2003, Clare in 2005, Galway in 2008, Cork in 2010 and Dublin in 2011. Ignoring Tipp '03, that is 6 out of 16 finalists. Waterford actually have the worst record historically during that period for translating league success (by getting to a final) into all Ireland final success.

And KK 6 times and Tipp once are the only teams to have done the double.

Celebrate your win, a great one, but don't be booking your holidays for Croke Park in September just yet.
    I'd agree with most of that and like I said Sunday wait for the media to go in to over drive with it

It's imo a complete nonsense of stats
    I was actually going to post similar to you but Im glad somebody else did as it would be seen incorrectly I was trying to use anything to devalued waterford win
    Waterford will not do the double this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'd agree with most of that and like I said Sunday wait for the media to go in to over drive with it

It's imo a complete nonsense of stats
    I was actually going to post similar to you but Im glad somebody else did as it would be seen incorrectly I was trying to use anything to devalued waterford win
    Waterford will not do the double this year
    Cork definitely won't win the All Ireland this year. Poor full back line, Aidan Walsh is some athlete but his hurling isn't after improving this year, Harnedy is going to have a lot of back injuries carrying the Cork team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Cork definitely won't win the All Ireland this year. Poor full back line, Aidan Walsh is some athlete but his hurling isn't after improving this year, Harnedy is going to have a lot of back injuries carrying the Cork team this year

To be fair, I don't think there's a single poster on the Cork thread who would back us to win an All-Ireland. That's the goal, obviously, but there's a lot of realism about this Cork team in general.

However, Waterford posters are reading an awful lot into this Cork team after just one game. For whatever reason Cork weren't at the required intensity. That might be down to design as TTM suggests or they were just flat on the day. There's no doubt that come June they will be at the required pace and in championship, this team for all their failings are rarely done for work rate and passion.

They'll have a game plan for Waterford the next day. I would venture there'll be a lot of positional switches from the normal team as was largely on show Sunday to try and work shooters into space.

Waterford fans are savouring the victory and rightly so, but I really don't think this game will bear any real resemblance on the next day.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    We know that and unlike some waterford fans I never get carried away
    However were very much better place to challenge for an all Ireland and seen as yet think coughlan full back is the answer I suggest ye watch the game again when cork tore through that line for two goal chances and tipp got two goals

Now also keep in mind waterford have a sweeper to protect him once he's isolated there is goals there
    As said tonight in a paper waterford now in the spotlight
    And all the pressure on them
    Huge expectations now with them

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Noel is a chelsea fan. That was the whole idea of the joke. The whole thing was tongue in cheek. It was banter with team mates and friends.

If thats the best thing you could come up with to throw at waterford then your really clutching at straws

Your bang on there Noelie is a Chelsea fan and i thought it was a good laugh harmless banter Joe.ie thought so to, this cork fella TTM was a respected poster upto 3 days ago but now its getting boring havin to go through 2-3 pages of tripe every evening reading the same boring going nowhere debate..

Waterford won and dare i say easiest win we ever had over Cork who we respect a hell of a lot which is why there's a lot of talk about game,we go again in 5 weeks time and we know only too well it wont be played at the same pace as Sunday last, both teams not at full strength and both teams need to raise their game even more. We're a team on the up but we wont get too complacent league is over now and the next chapter is coming up. Only a fool would write off Cork in championship gear but majority of Cork people would agree pressure is on them to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

blueflame wrote: »
    Back to Sundays performance - congratulations to every player and member of the management. A national medal in the pocket to join a Munster Minor or All Ireland Minor for many of these very young hurlers.

Much is made of the defensive system but what has been overlooked by man is the composure and stick work of some of our players. There were scores on Sunday that at time took my breath away, Paudi Mahony took two from play that he made look effortless, Kevin Moran two excellent strikes, the Brick who cannot score with two excellent points, no need to talk about Gleeson, and what about Stephen Bennett's rob and score under pressure, while the scores from Devine, O'Halloran Barron and Shanahan were not exactly tap overs.

Make no mistake about it this team has a lot to learn and a long way to go, we need to perfect our attacking options, which I believe would improve if we kept Dunford closer to goal more often alongside Bennett, Brick or Shanahan. Beyond doubt this side is work in progress and their will be set backs along the way, possibly even in early June, but i believe they have the ability and character to rise above the challenges they will face in the longer term

There are many others waiting to join the fray and competition for places over the next couple of years is going to be hectic. I am not predicting an All Ireland this year or next year and anytime soon - because all teams will be pushing for same, and national titles Leagues or All Irelands do not grow on trees. However I firmly believe we will be in the mix year on year for the next number of years with the best and I am excited at the prospect.

On a closing note it was wonderful to see the likes of Ken and Mullane and I am sure loads of other past players, celebrate as supporters, because they can now see the joy they gave us as supporters and they can take pride in the inspiration they have given to these young lads to make them what they are today. Long may they prosper.

One of the most sanest comments today, when you consider some of the crackpot contributions from a number off gob****es (and one in particular).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thinkstoomuch, I think you've made your point here.
    Everyone else, I think it's best if you move on.
    Also, remember to remain civil when addressing other posters. Even those with whom you don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tickets available for Munster semi final now on tickets.is for those that use that source....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

TGV wrote: »
    TTM ....Please p**s off to the cork site to discuss the woes of cork hurling. Maybe between ye, ye can come up with a strategy/tactics to win the next game. If cork win, so be it. Waterford should have no fear of the qualifiers. But let's be honest here based on Sunday's performance cork will not win an All Ireland this year or even Munster, so by the end of year you will have nothing to show for your endeavors. The idea that any team that trains and commits to inter county hurling would forsake silverware for a first round game of the championship is just daft. This might have worked before the back door, not now, but maybe your manager still thinks so.

There's nobody here disputing that Cork may beat Waterford in June!

But hey, here's the thing. Maybe Waterford wont want to win that game because we have a National League in the bag. A National title. Something Cork haven't won in nearly a decade!!!

Wouldn't it be nice for our young lads to have a run out against Cork - who btw have to show their hand and have to win this game at all costs- just so that we can perfect our system further as we progress through the qualifiers and be ready to meet the big guns like CL, KK, LK, Tipp, Dub, in the AI QFs.

As a Waterford supporter of many years , I can tell you TTM, there is nobody in Waterford feeling any pressure. We have the first silverware of the year, won with a team of debutants. Ye can still beat us in June, -so what- maybe we'll come back to haunt ye later on. If not, it has still already been a great year for us.

You're delusional if you think there is pressure on us and a complete amadan if you keep trying to convince yourself that Cork are a team that can afford to throw a game against anyone!

I actually wouldn't be surprised if JBM might throw the game against us in in June just to see how Clare can play against our system in a Munster final, so that ye will be ready for the next game against us!

Here's the reality, Cork are at the last chance saloon under JBM, we're only at the beginning.

No bother what happens pal, we're in bonus territory.

As an aside, heartiest congrats to Derek McGrath and his management team. I had many harsh words to say last year but you have definitely steadied the ship and got the lads on your side.

Deise Abu!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any sign of tomkelly lately? Miss his humour on the thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Again congratulations to the Waterford players and management team. The game went the way I thought it would and the key battle in midfield was won hands down by Jamie Barron and Kevin Moran. I think that when our system is discussed and looked at, few commentators have zoned in on the key role that young Barron has been allotted by our management. In my opinion Jamie has the most difficult of them all [roles] to play. From our corner backs all the way up to Brick, they all look to offload to him and that is obviously preordained by our men in charge. Sometimes he receives some very high risk passes while being surrounded by opponents and it is incumbent upon him to dance away from them or to spot a rapid fire pass to a teammate. His decisions have to be instant so therefore his vision has to be of the highest order and I can't imagine how difficult it must be for him. He must have learned to dance somewhere or watched a lot of the Ali fights on video as his shuffle and sidestep is unreal. The pressure on him is enormous. He also has to drop into the ''hole'' like he did against Tipperary while Tadhg was sweeping. Kevin has a more conventional midfield role which allows him more freedom and boy does he execute it with style. I am not so sure have we another pivotal player to do Jamie's role should something happen to him. Let's hope we do not have to find out as it might entail having to tweak the system in place in no small fashion.

I spoke with lots of people before the and remarked to them about the interview that Jimmy Barry Murphy gave last Thursday and after reading it I doubled my bet on Waterford. The likeable Corkman said whilst he respected systems and tactics in general he preferred the more old fashioned approach of going 15 on 15 and taking it from there. That was never going to work and Cork were all at sea from an early stage. Half time would not make any difference as it was too late to counteract our tactics/system at that stage. That has to be worked on weeks in advance. Jimmy Barry choose not to and it was a mistake. The big queston is, will he change ? He will almost certainly have to if Cork are to overturn the result in five weeks time. However ,managers loathe change most of the time so it will be interesting The break is a Godsend to the Leesiders and they have very sharp minds normally down there so they will be looking at ways to disect us. They will come at us with everything and will have huge motivation now. Expect a ferocious encounter that day. Can they beat us ? Have they got enough high class players. I tipped us at 10/1 to win Munster at the turn of the year and we are now 7/2 so obviously I don't think Cork will do us.

It is possible that Waterford will now be the most looked at teams in terms of how does one go about beating a particular system. Why all the fuss ? Kilkenny have employed similar gameplans [swarm and tackle] in the past while Clare would argue they invented this modern day supposed negative tactics. Their manager claims he knows how to beat this Waterford team but first they will have to overcome Limerick and then Tipperary and of course we have to win our big battle with Cork.

It is one of the most competitive All Ireland's in years. Dublin,Galway, Wexford and the mighty Kilkenny will have an almighty scrap in Leinster. They will all fancy their chances.

Limerick and Clare are huge threats for outright winners and are now in the long grass waiting to pounce while most people's favourites are Tipperary [ well those that I am conversing with anyway]. And of course Cork.

My fancy for All Ireland Champions in 2015 is.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

KevIRL wrote: »

Wasn't on last year either, his posts were epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

**ONE OF MY FAVOURITE TOMKELLY99 POSTS**

The Waterford County Board haven't a bob. I had to give Tom Cunningham the lend of a fiver so he could go into Tonys chipper in Dungarbum for a variety box there last week. He did give me one of his battered sausages though. He was saying he thinks football is a silly game and he doesn't like it anymore. He was saying that Ballinacourty definitely won't retain the Conway Cup this year. I says,I says,I says 'Tom,how are you so sure?'. He said they were after melting it down and selling it to one of them Cash for Gold places on Browns Road. Instead of a trophy for the winners of the senior football this year,they're giving the winners a signed copy of Bimbo McGraths autobiography 'If You Don't Know Bimbo,Don't Judge Bimbo.' Then he gave me another chip and headed off. The hurlers are in good shape for the Clare game. I met Michael Ryan at Wrestlemania above in Dublin a few weeks back. He was very impressed with Jon Cena,said he'd make a fine full back some day. He was telling meself and the wife that midfield will be crucial. He's probably going to start Timmy Ryan and Nichola Beresford, but Geoff Harris has a chance too. Full back will be a big call, but he reckons Gilbert O'Sullivan,Shane and Billys brother, is absolutely flying in training and should get the nod. That Chris Doran fella will probably be in the corner instead of Noel Connors. He's a mighty man for a singsong apparently. The wife got me one of them smart phones for my birthday. I hate it. The buttons are very small. This has taken me three weeks to type. I'm on Twatter now,I use it to keep in touch with gaa news and my daughter in San Francisco. My name on it is @thetomkelly99 . It's a stupid name. Tis hard to believe there's 98 other tools with that name. I met Marty Morrissey at a clubhouse opening in Dunhill a few weeks back. Jesus he's fair smooth with the wimmin. They were eating out of the palm of his hand. No really,they were,they had no plates and he has massive hands. He thinks Clare will win the All-Ireland in the hurling,and in the football. And he reckons that Clare might just win the intermediate hurling too. And the junior football. The U21 football is too close to call,but he thinks that Clare will win it. In the U21 hurling,he said his head was saying Clare,but his heart thinks that Clare will win it. The minor is anyone's he said,hurling and football. He thinks it'll probably be a Munster team will win both. I said 'Cork?' No,he says,he says,he says, 'I think it'll be Clare.' I never did find out where he was from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Most waterford supporters wont be able to fit through the gates in thurles with the big swelled heads on ye

Troll looking for a response

• Registered Users Posts: 38,022 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tickets available for Munster semi final now on tickets.is for those that use that source....

Got my tickets block 206 old stand.

The senior club championships start this weekend . Anyone could win it but is say it's between ballygunner and Mount sion

Kind of stuck on who to support went to de LA Salle schools and shouted them on but my granduncle played for mount sion. I'd be happy to see any 2 of them win

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

This thread really turned to sh1te the last few days.

Big game for the minors tomorrow. Why is it in Thurles? I thought the home/away arrangement was used for all of these minor games bar the final. Travelling to Limerick after work for the game wasnt viable for me but Thurles certainly is.

Very little talk of the game, hope they can kick on from the Tipp game, really should have won that game so hopefully they will finish the job tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Got my tickets block 206 old stand.

The senior club championships start this weekend . Anyone could win it but is say it's between ballygunner and Mount sion

Kind of stuck on who to support went to de LA Salle schools and shouted them on but my granduncle played for mount sion. I'd be happy to see any 2 of them win
    Wins this weekend for De La Salle, Ballygunner, Mt.Sion, Dungarvan, Fourmilewater and Passage. That's my prediction so we'll see how that pans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Deisegodeo wrote: »

Big game for the minors tomorrow. Why is it in Thurles? I thought the home/away arrangement was used for all of these minor games bar the final. Travelling to Limerick after work for the game wasnt viable for me but Thurles certainly is.

This discussion was had here last week. Apparantly they can’t agree on whose turn it is to host the game. Limerick had home advantage at the Munster minor final in 2013 but the Munster Council deemed this a ‘neutral venue’ as it was only played there because it was preceding the senior final, as is always the case with the minor final. So it was their turn to have home venue again, but the Waterford Co board appealed and now it’s at a neutral venue. Don’t know how they’re going to deal with this for future fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Back to club action this weekend, so whats everyone predictions for the year

Senior Champions: Ballygunner but Dungarvan will have a say
    Relegation: Roanmore
    Intermediate: Erins Own

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

In the summer of 89 i was 8 years old, heading off to my first Munster final. Waterford v Tipp in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. To say i was excited was an understatement. I had the confidence of youth and believed it was Waterfords destiny to lift the Munster cup. My father, who still had the 82 and 83 Munster finals etched in his brain, was alot less confident although he never said so, i could tell.
    I went to the terrace with my older brothers but unfortunately was too small to see the game unfold. I saw glimpses now and again but the groans from the Waterford crowd told of another bitter defeat. It was my father that i felt most sorry for. He was 9 years old when Waterford last won the all Ireland in 1959. Little did he know then how long the wait would be......he's still waiting.

We won the league for the third time in our history last Sunday and unfortunately a very very small minority of posters from the more traditional counties are either trying to shame us for celebrating the win or even worse trying to discredit our win altogether. Now whether or not Cork threw that game is a matter of opinion but the least i would have expected was for someone, who is from a county with 30 all Irelands and 14 league titles, to be a bit more considerate when voicing his opinion. We're not looking for pity as we got our fill of that for the last 56 years, we're just looking for a small bit of respect which i think the team more than earned this year. And as a final note, if some Waterford people on here want to dream of winning an all Ireland and what that would feel like i say dream away and F the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

In the summer of 89 i was 8 years old, heading off to my first Munster final. Waterford v Tipp in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. To say i was excited was an understatement. I had the confidence of youth and believed it was Waterfords destiny to lift the Munster cup. My father, who still had the 82 and 83 Munster finals etched in his brain, was alot less confident although he never said so, i could tell.
    I went to the terrace with my older brothers but unfortunately was too small to see the game unfold. I saw glimpses now and again but the groans from the Waterford crowd told of another bitter defeat. It was my father that i felt most sorry for. He was 9 years old when Waterford last won the all Ireland in 1959. Little did he know then how long the wait would be......he's still waiting.

We won the league for the third time in our history last Sunday and unfortunately a very very small minority of posters from the more traditional counties are either trying to shame us for celebrating the win or even worse trying to discredit our win altogether. Now whether or not Cork threw that game is a matter of opinion but the least i would have expected was for someone, who is from a county with 30 all Irelands and 14 league titles, to be a bit more considerate when voicing his opinion. We're not looking for pity as we got our fill of that for the last 56 years, we're just looking for a small bit of respect which i think the team more than earned this year. And as a final note, if some Waterford people on here want to dream of winning an all Ireland and what that would feel like i say dream away and F the begrudgers.

I remember all the bad days, god there were lots of them, the 1989 munster final, the loss to Kerry, Tipp in 95 was such a low.... is that the time or the score... god we were so low.
    I went to my first game in 89 - the game against Cork - it was a replay that Waterford won - I remember that I knew some Cork players were like Ger Cunningham, Tony O'Sullivan, Possibly a few more from the TV but I didnt know the Waterford players... I can remember that was confusing, I can remember nothing of the match except how far Ger Cunningham could hit the ball.
    Imagine how different it is now for young lads going to Waterford games, they know all the players and all have their Waterford heroes, what a totally different mindset.
    It just struck me that the first waterford game I went to was a victory over Cork and I brought my son to his first game on Sunday which was also a victory over Cork.... both as 5 year olds too.... a nice little symmetry there...

As you said nothing wrong with celebrating Sunday when you come from where we have come from - The loss to Kerry in 93 was bad after 92 - but the loss to Tipp in 95 was the worst, that really ripped out all hope - what a journey we have been on since...
    Over those years I remember taking pride in 6 points defeats such was the hopelessness of our cause...
    Never would you even think or dream on events like Sunday back then - you wouldnt even think about it, all you wanted was for Waterford to win a match most years, more often than not disapointted you would still be back the next year for more hurt and disapointment - Looking back I dont even know what kept us going back - but go back we did, it was a tough place to lose and listen to the jibes in the stand... the loses have decreased but the jibes contine - but is a lot easier to listen to them now (plus at least here on boards you can save yourself the pain by adding to the ignore list)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I remember all the bad days, god there were lots of them, the 1989 munster final, the loss to Kerry, Tipp in 95 was such a low.... is that the time or the score... god we were so low.
    I went to my first game in 89 - the game against Cork - it was a replay that Waterford won - I remember that I knew some Cork players were like Ger Cunningham, Tony O'Sullivan, Possibly a few more from the TV but I didnt know the Waterford players... I can remember that was confusing, I can remember nothing of the match except how far Ger Cunningham could hit the ball.
    Imagine how different it is now for young lads going to Waterford games, they know all the players and all have their Waterford heroes, what a totally different mindset.
    It just struck me that the first waterford game I went to was a victory over Cork and I brought my son to his first game on Sunday which was also a victory over Cork.... both as 5 year olds too.... a nice little symmetry there...

As you said nothing wrong with celebrating Sunday when you come from where we have come from - The loss to Kerry in 93 was bad after 92 - but the loss to Tipp in 95 was the worst, that really ripped out all hope - what a journey we have been on since...
    Over those years I remember taking pride in 6 points defeats such was the hopelessness of our cause...
    Never would you even think or dream on events like Sunday back then - you wouldnt even think about it, all you wanted was for Waterford to win a match most years, more often than not disapointted you would still be back the next year for more hurt and disapointment - Looking back I dont even know what kept us going back - but go back we did, it was a tough place to lose and listen to the jibes in the stand... the loses have decreased but the jibes contine - but is a lot easier to listen to them now (plus at least here on boards you can save yourself the pain by adding to the ignore list)

Theres an ignore button?!!!! :):):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement