Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

closeline wrote: »
    Yes indeed a very good idea by the management. Will Daniels come into the team? Any sign of Ray Barry or Dara Fives?

Counted 34 myself plus 3 lads who were there but not togged, Mikey Kearney and Ryan Donnelly (injured) and I think the other may have been Shane Bennett.

Of the others, Darragh Fives was togged, Daniels was named on the subs, Mark O Brien, DJ Foran, Tommy Connors were a few more that were there.

I suppose they would want 30 for training matches, but a couple of years ago I don't think they'd any more than that due to the cost of additional players on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Yes indeed a very good idea by the management. Will Daniels come into the team? Any sign of Ray Barry or Dara Fives?

Ray Barry is off stateside this summer. Brian O'Sullivan too I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

blueflame wrote: »
    Billy Nolan is an excellent outfield player and is more a stand in goal keeper, fairly sure he is minor again next year.

Yea he is. One of the best young talents around. Crazy he was being used in goal

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Anyone have a list of the whole panel that Waterford togged last Sunday?

Is togged a thing now ? surely 'togged out' is proper GAA parlance ?

Counted 34 myself plus 3 lads who were there but not togged, Mikey Kearney and Ryan Donnelly (injured) and I think the other may have been Shane Bennett.

Of the others, Darragh Fives was togged, Daniels was named on the subs, Mark O Brien, DJ Foran, Tommy Connors were a few more that were there.

I suppose they would want 30 for training matches, but a couple of years ago I don't think they'd any more than that due to the cost of additional players on the panel.

Im guessing that there is close links with the intermediate panel, and some of the extended panel will ultimately be used for that. And the u21s aswell. 37 is a ridiculously big panel to be fair

• Advertisement

Hopefully this is the start of a golden era. Ive been following Waterford since the early 90's and in that time almost all the other top teams had a period or team where they dominated or had a time where they were the best team in the country. Outside of the big 3, Offaly and Clare in the 90's, Limerick had a great team also in that decade and of course Wexford who won an All Ireland in '96. You might say we had a good period in the late 90's/2000's but we were never really considered big favorites going into matches and always seemed to fall well short when it really mattered. We have a team now that are unbelievably hungry and diciplined, aswell as having high levels of skill.They hunt in packs and they feel like a team who is only interested in winning. They have the right manager and gameplan too. Of course it could all go wrong yet, but you feel watching this team that they are going to win rather than maybe they might win.

The refreshing thing for me about this group of Waterford players is that they seem such a grounded level-headed bunch, who as you alluded to just want one thing and one thing only, to win for Waterford.

That is in my opinion where we fell short in the past 15 or plus years. We had a team of fantastic individuals, no doubt about that. But there was also lot of ego’s that needed to be managed. I’m not questioning these fellah’s commitment to the Waterford cause over the years, but the mindset wasn’t quite there when push came to shove. Some seriously talented guys but some felt they were nearly too talented that sometimes they didn’t have to abide by team instructions and didn’t need to work as hard as the fellahs that were not as talented. It was a mindset thing rather than a commitment issue. Justin McCarthy struggled to get to grips with some of the individual personalities and ultimately gave in to the concept of the type of ‘off the cuff’ style of hurling that we played. It was his style and they only way he knew so he was happy to go with it. It was easy on the eye no doubt and gave us some breath-taking moments but we ultimately lacked that extra edge that’s needed to get you over the line. Something talent alone can’t by you. The hunger and aggression and willing to die for the fellah beside you. The team comes first the individual second. Davy Fitz came and tried to change the mindset but it was too late at that stage. Too much water under the bridge lads were pushing on and set in their ways.

Whether this group of lads have what it takes to be a great team well there’s still a long way to go. But definitely the right mindset is there. They are thinking and acting like a great team should. That’s a fantastic start. The hurling will look after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

It is easy be overly critical of the "individuals" of the last 20 years but we should remember where they came from and what they achieved. Waterford had won nothing last senior level for 40 years, and when you have been starving for that long, it is not easy to keep your feet grounded when your return to the top table. Those lads were also unfortunate to be playing in Munster at a time when Cork and Tipp were strong and Clare for a part of it were at their strongest ever. Munster was very competitive. And when we managed to negotiate the perils of Munster and arrived on the national stage we ran into what is being hailed as the greatest Kilkenny team ever. These lads overcame the odds to bring back respectability to our county and made other teams sit up and take us seriously, and sometimes, just sometimes you need that little bit of luck to go your way to win a title. Anyone who has ever won a title will admit to having had some luck along the way.

Hopefully this team will deliver on their promise, but lets give them time

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Soooo ....... The club championship kicks off this weekend, thoughts and opinions welcome ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Top drawer wrote: »
    Soooo ....... The club championship kicks off this weekend, thoughts and opinions welcome ,

DLS and ballygunnar to win, Abbeyside and Fourmile tough to call but I think Fourmile might sneak it, just a hunch.

I see Dungarvan as a very strong contender this year - I think they can go all the way

Praying for a clean bit of health come Sunday night! I reckon Lismore v Dungarvan is the best match to see Round 1, think Dungarvan will be too strong for them in the end, although they are struggling to fill the full back position with Kevin Daly injured and I think Conor Sheridan was injured last week, Maurice could dominate at full forward. Ryan Donnelly is missing here also I think, but the new addition of Kieran Power is a benefit for Dungarvan, he's a great hurler and just needs to focus. Not sure if Ray Barry is playing this but with Patrick Curran and Gavin Crotty in the Dungarvan forward line, they get my vote!

Ballygunner v Ballyduff should be straight forward for the gunners if Mikey Kearney is missing, I'm not sure if he has recovered from the concussion yet? He's vital for Ballyduff anyway between play and free taking. But with SOK, Barry Coughlan, Philip and Paudie Mahony, O'Sullivan's etc... the gunners should win it

Abbeyside v Fourmilewater: This depends on which Fourmile team shows up, I saw their match v Abbeyside in the early rounds last year and they were brilliant, Jamie Barron scored 0-14? They beat Dungarvan last week in the league and Dvan had a strong enough team lined out, Abbeyside have a new manager and new trainer, don't know too much about their form this year but I think Jamie Barron will have a big say on the outcome here.. fourmile win for me

DLS v Tallow: Again just looking at the number of county players on the DLS team, Mcnulty, Daniels, Moran, Barrett, Dillon and then with John Mullane, Jack Kennedy, Dean Twomey etc... they look too strong for Tallow. Thomas Ryan is a class hurler but I think he'll have his hands full with Daniels, Mcnulty, Moran etc in the DLS backline. Ringo, James Murray, Paul O'Brien are great hurlers but all pushing on another year older

Mt.Sion v Cappaquin: If you asked me at the start of the year if Cappaquin would stay up and challenege for qualification to the 1/4's, I would have said yes definitely! With Colm Looby, Andy Molumby, Paul Murray, Shane O'Rourke and the Murray brothers, I think they were one of the intermediate teams with the best chance of staying up and challenging in recent years. I'm not sure what the full story is, but if the Murray brothers aren't togging out for them this year, that's a big blow, Conor especially, was unbelievable at Centre back last year for them. Ken Mcgrath, new man in charge for the Sion this year, I expect them to be in the last 4 come the business end of the season, in Aussie Gleeson you have the most exciting player in Waterford, Martin O'Neill is having a great year, back on the County panel and played very well in WIT's Fitzgibbon cup campaign. I expect him to line out at #6 and Gleeson to play in the forwards with Ian Galgey, Stephen Roche and Eoin Mcgrath supporting him! Sion win for me

Passage v Roanmore: I never got a chance to see Roanmore's defensive set up last year, but it brought them to a playoff with Abbeyside to qualify for the knockout stages basically and they were unlucky because Gavin O'Brien was injured going into the game. They should be difficult to beat this year. I think Passage should have enough to win this one though, Noel and Thomas Connors, Killian Fitzgerald and then Mark Wyse and Pa Walsh have plenty experience with County teams. Will be a close enough encounter though

If anyone is in the Lismore area Saturday, go to watch Tourin v Ballysaggart..... it's a match where you'll have the Fives' brothers (Shane, Niall and Darragh) up against the Bennett brother (Stephen, Shane and Kieran) should be top class standard for intermedaite grade also! I'm sitting on the fence for this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not trying to be pedantic just as I saw the question mark I said Id answer. Barron got 0-17 points v Abbeyside last year, 0-5 from play.

Not trying to be pedantic just as I saw the question mark I said Id answer. Barron got 0-17 points v Abbeyside last year, 0-5 from play.
    thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,091 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how come Thomas Ryan is not in the Waterford Senoir Panel anymore ??

He could be on the intermediate team

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    DLS v Tallow: Again just looking at the number of county players on the DLS team, Mcnulty, Daniels, Moran, Barrett, Dillon and then with John Mullane, Jack Kennedy, Dean Twomey etc... they look too strong for Tallow. Thomas Ryan is a class hurler but I think he'll have his hands full with Daniels, Mcnulty, Moran etc in the DLS backline.

Good report well covered, not to be picking holes but Dean Twomey gone to Canada for foreseeable future.

Jack Kennedy only coming back from long lay off prob wont start tbh,
    John Mullane is also not expected to start he's only back about 3 weeks and it could be the first time in 17 yrs he sits out a championship game for DLS (barring Suspension)
    Couple of others carrying knocks. Expect to see a young team tonight.
    Tallow really couldn't be playing DLS at a better time.

Ps- pity the game of the weekend is the last one, Dungarvan v Lismore over in fraher field it will be cut up to bits if weather persists

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Anyone going to junior or intermediate games be great to get reports more so than the senior because they get covered by local media

Good report well covered, not to be picking holes but Dean Twomey gone to Canada for foreseeable future.

Jack Kennedy only coming back from long lay off prob wont start tbh,
    John Mullane is also not expected to start he's only back about 3 weeks and it could be the first time in 17 yrs he sits out a championship game for DLS (barring Suspension)
    Couple of others carrying knocks. Expect to see a young team tonight.
    Tallow really couldn't be playing DLS at a better time.

Ps- pity the game of the weekend is the last one, Dungarvan v Lismore over in fraher field it will be cut up to bits if weather persists
    Off to paddy power now, €500 on Tallow!

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Off to paddy power now, €500 on Tallow!

At 11/2 you'd be a wealthy man

At 11/2 you'd be a wealthy man
    Just looking for my Tallow jersey in the wardrobe now

There is 2 games that i just cant call, FMW vs Abbeyside and Passage vs Roanmore,
    Depends on what teams turn up for fmw game on both sides, cud swing either way, im sure fmw will want to make up for being in the relegation final last year. Jamie barron will have a big influence and i also expect shane walsh to also have a big season as he was queit last year during championship. Abbeyside can turn it on at the flick of a switch and can be unstoppable if they click, an array of talented hurlers throughout the field, too close for me.
    Roanmore were the suprise last year and with a young team which got them to the u21A final, they are without the services of colm burke and eamonn power i believe for the weekend due to prolonged injuries. They will want to continue on last years so called success. Passage are a tough team to also break down and seem to grind out results year after year, the 3 connors are always to the fore, if the rest of the team turn up it will be a serious battle,
    Dls, bg, dungarvan, mt. Sion in the others for me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tallow 1-15 DLS 2-12 Paul o Brien with an injury time goal to level it for Tallow

• Advertisement

Tallow should of won the game tonight they hit an awful lot of wides tommy Ryan must of hit at least 7 incl. Frees from scoreable positions, they got a goal to snatch a point from the last few seconds of the game and deserved the win in fairness.
    De La Salle were absolutely shocking they constantly hit short puckouts to the corner & half backs who then pucked the ball up on top of the half forward line who didnt win any high ball in a 50/50 battle.The keeper could of hit the ball up and it would of been much as much.
    They tried to play short passes then when in posession around the middle, similar to the County team but haven't the players to do it. Plus the county players were non existent maybe due to fatigue one would guess. The supply of ball into the forwards had snow on it from it being pumped up so high into the sky which made zero sense considering how small the forward line are. Positioning of some players were questionable Steven Daniels was wing forward, the Keevers lad normally plays in fullback line was midfield, McNulty was Corner back, Moran wing forward. There touch was way off and really looked like they haven't much hurling done. They hit 3 points from play in 2nd half with the wind & scoring 2-3 against it in the first half. Big game next week against Abbeyside if they lose that and were to lose to Ballygunner they will be under pressure. A lot of things to fix in a week. Serious shake up of positions needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Was at this game agreed tallow should of won. The spine of the DLS team looked all wrong and there didn't seem to be any leadership from the line. I hope the rest of the weekend games are better to watch. This one was a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Tallow should of won the game tonight they hit an awful lot of wides tommy Ryan must of hit at least 7 incl. Frees from scoreable positions, they got a goal to snatch a point from the last few seconds of the game and deserved the win in fairness.
    De La Salle were absolutely shocking they constantly hit short puckouts to the corner & half backs who then pucked the ball up on top of the half forward line who didnt win any high ball in a 50/50 battle.The keeper could of hit the ball up and it would of been much as much.
    They tried to play short passes then when in posession around the middle, similar to the County team but haven't the players to do it. Plus the county players were non existent maybe due to fatigue one would guess. The supply of ball into the forwards had snow on it from it being pumped up so high into the sky which made zero sense considering how small the forward line are. Positioning of some players were questionable Steven Daniels was wing forward, the Keevers lad normally plays in fullback line was midfield, McNulty was Corner back, Moran wing forward. There touch was way off and really looked like they haven't much hurling done. They hit 3 points from play in 2nd half with the wind & scoring 2-3 against it in the first half. Big game next week against Abbeyside if they lose that and were to lose to Ballygunner they will be under pressure. A lot of things to fix in a week. Serious shake up of positions needed.

Why is it people always focus on how bad the bigger teams play rather than how well the so called lesser teams play. Appreciate you said Tallow should have won but why not focus on why Tallow were in a position to win rather than how DLS played. Mark O Brien and Ken Kearney were very strong in the full back line. Aidan Kearney stood out in the half back line with Paul O Brien and Jordan Henley impressive going forward. Tommy Ryan and Paul Kearney got 5 pts from play between them. Yes Tallow had some bad wides which cost them the win ( 8 from play and 3 frees by my reckoning) but 1-15 was impressive considering the conditions. Too many people were complaining of the championship being too predictable last year so let's give credit to teams with limited resources when they deserve it.

Why is it people always focus on how bad the bigger teams play rather than how well the so called lesser teams play. Appreciate you said Tallow should have won but why not focus on why Tallow were in a position to win rather than how DLS played. Mark O Brien and Ken Kearney were very strong in the full back line. Aidan Kearney stood out in the half back line with Paul O Brien and Jordan Henley impressive going forward. Tommy Ryan and Paul Kearney got 5 pts from play between them. Yes Tallow had some bad wides which cost them the win ( 8 from play and 3 frees by my reckoning) but 1-15 was impressive considering the conditions. Too many people were complaining of the championship being too predictable last year so let's give credit to teams with limited resources when they deserve it.
    Well said!!!

Ha well said, fair play to Tallow they have a core of experienced players who never let them down, and they always make it out of the group, good to see some new blood on the time as I said they are depending on a few stalwarts for a long time.
    The one player above all else who gives everything for that Tallow jersey anytime I have seen them is The man who got the goal, Paul O'Brien.. He has all the skill in the world, but when it comes to hooking blocking, fighting with all e has for the ball he is relentless, fair play to the men from the far west! A great Hurling club which always had players with great style

Firstly i started by saying Tallow should of won and then i said they deserved to win i dont see how i offended you.
    DLS had injuries i stated that before the game and i also said if Tallow were to ever catch DLS it was going to be first game of championship. No disrespect to ye and i will say it again
    Tallow fully deserved victory and they left it behind them if Tommy Ryan had of looked up on a couple of occasions Jordan Henley got into some great positions in front of goal instead he went for points.
    I then spoke about this so called bigger team because i know the whole team being a City person Jus like you may be a Tallow man so again apologies for talking about my own. I would also like to state the county players were non existent last night but I'm sure the previous weeks had a bearing on that

Best of luck to Tallow in weeks ahead credit to ye as stated above by tyrion ye always get through

Firstly i started by saying Tallow should of won and then i said they deserved to win i dont see how i offended you.
    DLS had injuries i stated that before the game and i also said if Tallow were to ever catch DLS it was going to be first game of championship. No disrespect to ye and i will say it again
    Tallow fully deserved victory and they left it behind them if Tommy Ryan had of looked up on a couple of occasions Jordan Henley got into some great positions in front of goal instead he went for points.
    I then spoke about this so called bigger team because i know the whole team being a City person Jus like you may be a Tallow man so again apologies for talking about my own. I would also like to state the county players were non existent last night but I'm sure the previous weeks had a bearing on that

Best of luck to Tallow in weeks ahead credit to ye as stated above by tyrion ye always get through

Not offended and I acknowledged the fact you said Tallow should have won. Appreciate the good wishes. Just felt I had to reply cos Tallow have constantly been written off and feel they deserve credit when they play well. I have a bug bear with coverage teams like Tallow Lismore Fourmilewater get in media esp WLR when all analysis seem to focus on city teams.
    I know you are commenting on what you know and you are justified in doing so unlike other people on here who try to talk about things they don't know first thing about.

Ha well said, fair play to Tallow they have a core of experienced players who never let them down, and they always make it out of the group, good to see some new blood on the time as I said they are depending on a few stalwarts for a long time.
    The one player above all else who gives everything for that Tallow jersey anytime I have seen them is The man who got the goal, Paul O'Brien.. He has all the skill in the world, but when it comes to hooking blocking, fighting with all e has for the ball he is relentless, fair play to the men from the far west! A great Hurling club which always had players with great style

Thanks. Paul is up there with the best players ever from Tallow. Was best player in Waterford the year we got to county final IMO.

Thanks. Paul is up there with the best players ever from Tallow. Was best player in Waterford the year we got to county final IMO.

With his skill, speed, work rate and honesty of effort he would be perfect for the way the intercounty game is gone now out in the centre of the field

• Advertisement

Anyone go to the Tourin/Ballysaggart game last night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement