Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

archieknox wrote: »
    I don't think those transfers have happened yet but if Cornerstone is on here he will definitely know the latest with the 3 of them.

They have not moved officially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

archieknox wrote: »
    I don't think those transfers have happened yet but if Cornerstone is on here he will definitely know the latest with the 3 of them.

What a shame for Cappoquin, they have only been in the senior grade sporadically since about the 50's... In fairness they are an example to any club the work they have put in underage...
    But it's a shame they can't face teams like near neighbours Lismore for the first time in what is close to 30 years without a full pack.
    I attended their big games last year in Munster and they would not have beaten Feakle or the Limerick champs (name escapes me at this moment) without Conor Murray, he was awesome in both games especially when they had their backs to the wall, he was the only one that really stood out in the backs, for him not to play senior is really bad.
    I know there is wrong on all sides but for the sake of the club that should be sorted long ago... There is only losers on all sides of the trouble, very sad circumstance and I would love to see Cappoquin have a right crack.

As I said they have gone senior in hurling and camogie in the same year, all down to great work and doesn't happen by accident, with the murrays they could really ruffle a few feathers in senior, without them I don't think they would have beaten ballinameela in the intermediate western final nevermind the remaining success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Some good articles in today's Examiner, including one comment where it says "every team of the last 17 years that played in the League final then played in an All Ireland final with the next 2 years".

Keep early September free for the next few years. Just need Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett on the scene, plus Gleeeson has to be switched up front (playing fine as it is but what damage he could do further up the field).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Some good articles in today's Examiner, including one comment where it says "every team of the last 17 years that played in the League final then played in an All Ireland final with the next 2 years".

Keep early September free for the next few years. Just need Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett on the scene, plus Gleeeson has to be switched up front (playing fine as it is but what damage he could do further up the field).

The Dubs didn't but generally there is a link between strong league and championship form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm certain that if we played that Cork team again in the morning we'd beat them up again. You can nitpick certain moments as turning points, but I bet that if you took any ten minute period in the game we outscored them. I've no doubt Cork will improve. They won't be playing a crocked Alan Cadogan for starters - if the League meant so little to them, why did they take a chance on him? - and there will be some hoor bubbling under who has the capability to make our lives miserable, he just doesn't know it yet *cough* Mickey O'Connell *cough*. But even if we repeat the dose the naysayers will dismiss us as not having won the Munster championship, and if we win that we won't have won in Croke Park, and if we win there . . . it's going to be an interesting summer.

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    I'm certain that if we played that Cork team again in the morning we'd beat them up again. You can nitpick certain moments as turning points, but I bet that if you took any ten minute period in the game we outscored them. I've no doubt Cork will improve. They won't be playing a crocked Alan Cadogan for starters - if the League meant so little to them, why did they take a chance on him? - and there will be some hoor bubbling under who has the capability to make our lives miserable, he just doesn't know it yet *cough* Mickey O'Connell *cough*. But even if we repeat the dose the naysayers will dismiss us as not having won the Munster championship, and if we win that we won't have won in Croke Park, and if we win there . . . it's going to be an interesting summer.

Waterford win the league and it's only the league Teams are keeping our powder dry for munster.
    Waterford win a Munster and they don't matter anymore it's an all Ireland. That will be our place in the world until we win an all Ireland
    Funny how leagues matter a few years ago when Tipp and Kilkenny were trying to kill each other for them.
    The sickening part is that if we do lose in June some fools will be harping on about how it devalued the league win.
    Whatever happens for the rest of the year, based on all known form lines stretching back 100 years Waterford have done the impossible by winning the league this year.

Ya cork could spring up a mushroom alright, but you know let the truth be known no other hurling county owes as much to the neighbours as we do to Cork (if I saw Gerald McCarthy I would have to resist the urge to run over and hug him sobbing uncontrollably) so we can't get too upset over them

Ya cork could spring up a mushroom alright, but you know let the truth be known no other hurling county owes as much to the neighbours as we do to Cork (if I saw Gerald McCarthy I would have to resist the urge to run over and hug him sobbing uncontrollably) so we can't get too upset over them

You're from the east of the county, right? ;)

You're from the east of the county, right? ;)

You could be onto something

I sat near a few Cork balubas on Sunday who were obnoxious beyond belief, to the point where I sat somewhere else in the second half. But there are clowns like that everywhere, and one in particular is a guy from the west of the county whose path I crossed many years ago. He was a nasty piece of work in general, and he hated Cork people in particular. You can be sure he was giving it large in some part of Semple Stadium. Apologies to anyone from Cork who had to endure his bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im actually getting great entertainment from seeing so many people knowingly stating "Waterford have shown their hand". They seem to have it in their head that our forwards arent much to shout about and its only crowding areas and work rate that we have.
    I still think if you go 2 man full forward line against cork in 5 weeks with Dunford and Bennett and keep Maurice out the wing theyll raise hell in there.

• Advertisement

I sat near a few Cork balubas on Sunday who were obnoxious beyond belief, to the point where I sat somewhere else in the second half. But there are clowns like that everywhere, and one in particular is a guy from the west of the county whose path I crossed many years ago. He was a nasty piece of work in general, and he hated Cork people in particular. You can be sure he was giving it large in some part of Semple Stadium. Apologies to anyone from Cork who had to endure his bile.

Ya they are everywhere - with the terrace closed a lot more were in the stands too.
    I hurled in cork in college and with a club, I didn't find that the stereotype of being overly cocky or anything to stand up to be honest, same with most Tipp people actually, they seemed to be pretty measured on their analysis of themselves and it wouldn't deviate much from whatever everyone else was saying, good honest Gaa people who spend a lot of their free time playing or coaching all go through the same ups and downs and are pretty much the same across the country just the jerseys are different. but unfortunately these aren't always the kind of people you sit beside in thurles as that can draw out the headbangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

the lion cares not a jot of the fears of the monkey. A Waterford man apologising to Cork people for a Waterford supporters behaviour, jesus just when their down , you have succeeded in delivering the final blow, ye poor little devils ye, not being used to the big day, and all it entails, ah it won't be like this for ever, ha ha ha , deal with it
    Cork will improve , no doubt, but you can apply lipstick to a pig, its still a pig, take Harnedy, Lehane [some day's], Kearney[some days], Horgan[not when he's on Noel connors],and now i'm scratching my head, out of it, and Cork are poor, and stagnent, and poor hurlers, when did you think you'd say that, even their keeper is more famous for hitting Penalties, and pucking out the ball, rather than the basic art of keeping the ball out of the net, yet they are Cork and have shown that the pride they have in wearing the blood and bandages makes them collectively better then they are on given days, and are to be respected, but this is not a good side, they had all the possession in the world on sunday to win the game and lost by 10 points, they showed an inability to match Waterfords hunger and desire, and i'm just talking about sunday now, and they proved they couldn't and even if[ha ha ha], they were biding their time , and this particular side can throw away national titles as is their want because this present bunch don't need them, then their still a pig, as they will get fitter and last longer but their still the same, Waterford will improve too, as they have shown through out the league.
    How dare we be confident, as people say we're not Tipp, Cork or Kilkenny, as if we have no clue where we're from or what we've won or lost, and how we've won and lost them, but your only as good as your last game, and now at this place in time, we are in a better place than we were even going as far back to '98 as we now have a panel who are all doing what they are being told to do, and playing in a manner and for a manager and themselves and each other, and its ****ing brilliant, i go to every Waterford game Knowing who i am and where i'm from and hoping Waterford will turn up, and all we ever asked for is Performence and consistancy , and everything else is a bonus, but it was like the wind, you'd be blown away with it some days' and others you'd have to look for it, and be disappointed, but never forgetting where i was from, i would not be interested in what anyone outside of waterford thinks as its only important what these players think, and there thinking, We will beat Cork if we do the work, and I'm Happy with that. If Kilkenny or Tipp Did to Cork on sunday what we did, they'd be overwhelming favourites to win the super bowl, Grand National and all Ireland, and i can of course understand why People are not putting us in the same Catagory, but all Waterford ever needed was belief and consistancy, and we'll win something which we have done, and i don't think we're done, Here goes Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I've never understood the "showing your hand" notion. Is it another way of saying not playing your best to lull the opposition into a false sense of security another time?
    Does it mean holding back a player(s) and keeping this ace up the sleeve for another more worthy time? Does it mean holding back a particular tactic or strategy, again for a more worthy/important time? Is it simply telling your players to only go 70%, holding back until it matters?

I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly it's supposed to mean and some examples of this in practice in recent times.

Cake Man wrote: »
    I've never understood the "showing your hand" notion. Is it another way of saying not playing your best to lull the opposition into a false sense of security another time?
    Does it mean holding back a player(s) and keeping this ace up the sleeve for another more worthy time? Does it mean holding back a particular tactic or strategy, again for a more worthy/important time? Is it simply telling your players to only go 70%, holding back until it matters?

I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly it's supposed to mean and some examples of this in practice in recent times.

Thats exactly what its supposed to mean. Really its complete nonsense. Especially when a trophy is on the line.
    You can learn from losing a game but nobody goes out to hide what they have for the future.

It may make losing easier to accept

the lion cares not a jot of the fears of the monkey. A Waterford man apologising to Cork people for a Waterford supporters behaviour, jesus just when their down , you have succeeded in delivering the final blow, ye poor little devils ye, not being used to the big day, and all it entails, ah it won't be like this for ever, ha ha ha , deal with it

That's some deep sh1t, dude...anyway, if you knew the lad I was referring to, you'd understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Its a real gaa thing, I don't think you see it in any other sport, a bit like the obsession in the gaa with making the other team be the favourite...coming into a game 'in the long grass' is another...I suppose any team that has a good championship after a poor league, limerick the last few years, or beating a team after losing to them in the league, cork and Clare in 98? Despite the fact that you'd be giving up a large psychological advantage and,?in the case if the league final, handing the initiative to a young team in need to a confidence boost coming into the championship, doesn't make sense to me, very cute hoor type stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Having seen Waterford in Nowlan Park and watching the final on TV on Sunday, I have to say it was great to see a team attacking every ball with such desire and courage. People laugh that Cody always talks about a spirit and an honesty, the Waterford boys have shown that they are developing something similar. Pure hard work, honesty and will to win.

Cork seem to think they can turn these things on like a tap and decide when to go for it, if thats the case they will win nothing going forward. To me they are a team that lack the stomach for a battle, as a Kilkenny man I would take only Harnedy and Kearney off their team and that would be it.

Anyway congratulations to Waterford, hurling needs you guys and your passionate support, great to see the stars like Gleeson, Barron and De Burca coming as hurling needs Waterford to have household names again. The league is nothing to be sneezed at either and with confidence it will give the team, Waterford will be a match for most teams come championship.

The 'showing your hand' thing is a combination of a small sample size and lazy punditry. So if two teams meet in the League and the Championship, and the team who won by a couple of points in the League loses by a couple of points in the Championship then they showed their hands, lessons were learnt in defeat, looking for revenge, inspired by comments made (© Richie Bennis) etc. Saying that stuff happens doesn't fill many column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not sure how to embed pics but have a look at the first picture on the link, hon Tom Devine ya legend! Lovely gesture.

https://m.facebook.com/waterfordhurling?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fwaterfordhurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Congrats to Waterford. Well done. Some lovely hurlers on your team. Austin Gleeson will be heard about for some years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Not sure how to embed pics but have a look at the first picture on the link, hon Tom Devine ya legend! Lovely gesture.

https://m.facebook.com/waterfordhurling?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fwaterfordhurling

I can't see photo you mean but the only gesture I saw from that player was when he ran in to mock the Cork No. 7 after the goal. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cu Baire wrote: »
    I can't see photo you mean but the only gesture I saw from that player was when he ran in to mock the Cork No. 7 after the goal. Lovely.

Wouldn't worry bout that
    Unfortunately lack gamesmanship seen in soccer is coming in to gaa but it's not right but to be fair the Waterford lad isn't the ist or won't be the last to do something similar and few cork players lived on the edge a few times regards similar incidents
    No body is whiter than white so irrelevant what waterford lad done in huge motivation for cork and noel Connor sending tweet to hazard Chelsea saying were league champions shows how the hype is getting carried away with Waterford and whatever people say bout Davy in clare least no twitter nonsense like that

This is brilliant from cork view and what I'm hearing June can't come fast enough
    It's amusing to see all the hype regards Waterford imo bases on game cork weren't focused on

Cork have huge motivation now and bit like waterford trying to wind Davy up he was right show me your all Ireland medals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Wouldn't worry bout that
    Unfortunately lack gamesmanship seen in soccer is coming in to gaa but it's not right but to be fair the Waterford lad isn't the ist or won't be the last to do something similar and few cork players lived on the edge a few times regards similar incidents
    No body is whiter than white so irrelevant what waterford lad done in huge motivation for cork and noel Connor sending tweet to hazard Chelsea saying were league champions shows how the hype is getting carried away with Waterford and whatever people say bout Davy in clare least no twitter nonsense like that

This is brilliant from cork view and what I'm hearing June can't come fast enough
    It's amusing to see all the hype regards Waterford imo bases on game cork weren't focused on

Cork have huge motivation now and bit like waterford trying to wind Davy up he was right show me your all Ireland medals
    Seriously stop now you're beyond ridiculous with that post

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Happy to say I was proved wrong with the team and that the team that was named started. Does anyone know why Maurice and Bennett wore numbers which wernt 1-15 even though they were named to start before hand?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Seriously stop now you're beyond ridiculous with that post

I'm only giving an opinion you don't like it fair enough but I always given opinion waterford thread before long after this game
    I respect your opinion I don't agree with it but I don't tell you to hush
    Please do the same
    And I was to be fair standing up for Waterford player poster was on about

My point is a fair point regards o Connor tweet to hazard Chelsea
    It made the news
    He's entitled to do it but imo shows waterford are getting carried away with the hype
    You want to counter debate it please do so

Happy to say I was proved wrong with the team and that the team that was named started. Does anyone know why Maurice and Bennett wore numbers which wernt 1-15 even though they were named to start before hand?

The program had the team from the Tipp game I think so they matched their numbers to that

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tomaacutes-mulcahy-cork-mustnbspup-workrate-by-200-328669.html

I'm not the only one thinking cork were not all totally focused this be fair
    And I said this all past week not just being wise after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'm only giving an opinion you don't like it fair enough but I always given opinion waterford thread before long after this game
    I respect your opinion I don't agree with it but I don't tell you to hush
    Please do the same
    And I was to be fair standing up for Waterford player poster was on about

My point is a fair point regards o Connor tweet to hazard Chelsea
    It made the news
    He's entitled to do it but imo shows waterford are getting carried away with the hype
    You want to counter debate it please do so
    But it's totally wrong, Noel Connors is the most honest person you'll meet, the total opposite of arrogant. He sent a picture to Eden Hazard because Chelsea are blue and they won the league on the same day....it's called banter

To compare us with Davy is laughable IMO! Davy has a media circus surrounding him and it's his own fault, absolutely ridiculous to say we're worst than him. We celebrated Sunday and a few fellas were joking about All Ireland's. You are the one who keeps talking about the hype, we won the league and hammered a Cork side....we're hardly going to spend Sunday night worrying about June 7th...are we? It's a celebration, have no idea where you're getting all this hype from. Can't wait for June though, you have no excuses if we beat ye. Not trying in a league final because you don't want to give away tactics for a match in June that's 50/50....not playing the odds right mate

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tomaacutes-mulcahy-cork-mustnbspup-workrate-by-200-328669.html

I'm not the only one thinking cork were not all totally focused this be fair
    And I said this all past week not just being wise after

Former cork players in excuses making shocker......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement