Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Have to laugh at some Cork people saying Cork didn't play because they had no interest and don't want to show their full hand to Waterford, If you think that then as a Cork supporter you should be even more worried, It was a League final FFS, One of only 3 trophies given out every year, Cork didn't try? If true that's shocking Cork haven't won a League since 98 it's bull**** to suggest the players simply didn't care about the game. Waterford won that game not because Cork didn't try they won because they had the better players on the day, What will Cork people's excuse be if we beat them in June? A 10 point defeat in a final is bad no other way of spinning that and League or no League Cork wouldn't be thrilled playing a team in 5 weeks who just played them off the pitch. Sour grapes from some on the forum June is another day another game but after yesterday i fancy Waterford to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

There was no hunger no intensity no want for battle

Mcdonnell even said interview after he's not worried won't affect cork he sees it blessing he won't be as bad again
    He cork best defender last year and yesterday showed no interest like many cork lads

Problems ye have is that same team will start v cotk and system and yesterday looked good with no pressure
    When pressure comes on in game very had change mid stream

Cork will have imo possibly three changes and be more tweaks system
    But that's not for now to discuss

Forget about ten points it means nothing
    Cork second gear four points down half time and imo could see cork said we saw what we needed right that will do that's why posted half time cork will fade away

Don't get hyped up ten point win imo

Do you think that JBM did not know the set up we were going to use yesterday? Cause we have been using it for 2 years now.
    Do you think we have no areas to improve in? Cause we wasted a serious amount of ball into the forwards and made some bad wides - so plenty to work on over the next 5 weeks.
    Do you think Cork didn't try yesterday? Been an embarrassingly long time since Cork have won a national trophy and you wouldn't see KK or Tipp go down like that. I was listening to a multitude of All Ireland winners talking about it and they said its a national title and something to be taken very seriously. These are men with actual All Ireland medals now.

Do you not realise that we don't have a fully fit squad? Cause we have Daniels recovering, Darragh Fives the same and Bennett. All potential starters, not to mention the fact that martin o Neill, tom devine or Brian o hall or an could easily start and do the job in 5 weeks.

Nobody outside of Cork is saying that they purposely threw the game in order to keep their cards close to their chest for June. 18,000 people saw that display first hand for what it was and that was gutlsss. Absolutely nobody except for a small few delusionals view the game like you so and it is embarrassing for a once mighty and proud hurling county like Cork to come up with atrocious excuses like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

Congratulations. to Waterford, I think ye are on the way up whilst we (KK) are on the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

^^^^^ Don't even start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Cats fur sale

Mama mia ye're good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

blackcard wrote: »
    Congratulations. to Waterford, I think ye are on the way up whilst we (KK) are on the way down

Sur, we have to be saying something. Well done to Waterford. Cork did as good as they were allowed to do. It might be a different story next time (a big might) but if one went back one month Cork were certainties for the June clash. Beating Galway, Tipp and Cork in row is no mean feat any year. The Blah's will take a bit of watching all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

O Riain wrote:
    Nobody outside of Cork is saying that they purposely threw the game in order to keep their cards close to their chest for June. 18,000 people saw that display first hand for what it was and that was gutlsss. Absolutely nobody except for a small few delusionals view the game like you so and it is embarrassing for a once mighty and proud hurling county like Cork to come up with atrocious excuses like that.

Lets be clear here. The vast vast majority of Cork supporters saw yesterday for what it was. A win for the better team - end of. And that is reflected in the vast vast majority of posts. A tiny minority peddling an alternative view. But don't expect us to fold the tent after yesterday. Hell no, expect a backlash in 5 weeks. We might even overturn yesterdays result. But let there be no doubt there is genuine concern Leeside for this teams immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully none of the lads get injured in the club matches

There is not one Waterford supporter going up to thurles on the 7th June not expecting a cork backlash. There management team will investigate the league final. Waterford need to change things up a bit. Cork played brutal in the drawn quarter final last year but improved hugely in the replay. Imo that will be the case in June. Maybe the cork players are getting fed up of jbm,s management and may want him out if they lose the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

blackcard wrote: »

Never heard such nonsense in all my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

God we never came in for such attention on this thread over the last two years when we were going crap!

Must be doing something right to be drawing out the creeps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

All the idiot Trolls coming out of woodwork to criticize Waterford on winning some silverware.
    Big men behind the keyboard.

Lets be clear here. The vast vast majority of Cork supporters saw yesterday for what it was. A win for the better team - end of. And that is reflected in the vast vast majority of posts. A tiny minority peddling an alternative view. But don't expect us to fold the tent after yesterday. Hell no, expect a backlash in 5 weeks. We might even overturn yesterdays result. But let there be no doubt there is genuine concern Leeside for this teams immediate future.

I would love to see Cork rebound and have a right battle. Its great winning, especially a trophy but winning by 10 points is just not the same as coming out on top by a point or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

O Riain wrote: »
    I would love to see Cork rebound and have a right battle. Its great winning, especially a trophy but winning by 10 points is just not the same as coming out on top by a point or two.

I'd take a 10 point victory over a close match anyday.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd take a 10 point victory over a close match anyday.

Its not good for the heart but you'd appreciate the win a lot more. Still though its great to beat Cork by 10 points as it really doesn't happen much (ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cork were outplayed yesterday, Waterford better all over the field. I'd be worried about June, I think ye are deservedly favourites. Not saying we can't turn it around, but it will need a serious effort.

Personally I think Cork were out to win yesterday and just didn't perform.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Fair play to McGrath, lot of people on here and in other places giving him huge stick, but he got most things right on Sunday, match-ups etc and a game plan that worked. Gleeson is some hurler, those two points were inspirational. Lot of young hurlers coming through with no fear, deserved celebrations. League title is nothing to be scoffed at, much better team. Any Cork supporter saying it was mind games etc is bs, Cork lads wanted to win, but didn't turn up, end of story. Better team won, and to say anything else is disrespectful to Waterford

Will be a cracker in a few weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Yer minors are named

what d'ye reckon ?

Waterford Minor Team v Limerick 04/05/2015

The Waterford Minor Hurling Team to play

Limerick on Wednesday night in Thurles at 7pm

has been named this evening.

Best of luck lads!

Billy Nolan

Roanmore
    Darragh Lynch

Passage
    Conor Prunty

Abbeyside
    Darragh McGrath

Abbeyside
    Jordan Henley

Tallow
    Darragh Lyons

Dungarvan
    Cormac Dunphy

Ballyduff Lower
    Calum Lyons

Ballyduff Lower
    J.P. Lucey

Shamrocks
    Glenn Waters

Dungarvan
    Andy Molumby

Cappoquin
    Eddie Meaney

De La Salle
    Aaron O’Sullivan

Cappquin
    Jack Prendergast

Lismore
    Peter Hogan

Ballygunner

As for the second bit, you didn't but it was what I said in the post you quoted when you said what you said to me. I have been labelled a troll on that thread for saying as much as what you have just acknowledged as juvenile, I also had an issue with Brian Cody's criminal comment just because I thought it was bad form given it was 3 weeks on and they'd won the bloody all ireland, though admittedly out of character. And that in a nutshell is what I said on the page, repeatedly I'll admit just because I was incredulous at some of the observations being made though should be said a minority rather than a majority making them. And I'll leave it there.

When I said what I said to you originally I made no mention of the Barry Kelly incident. What I had the issue with was some of your overboard comments about Brian Codys comments about Barry Kelly which he was right to say as some of his decisions were borderline ridiculous to say the least. But the opinions of some that theres a conspiracy is completely pushing the boat out. That was my opinion at the time and thats what it remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scifo

Small margins. Harnedy should have goaled. Lehane very unlucky to hit the woodwork. 6 points right there. Valid point waved wide, up to 7. Couple of bad wides eliminated and would have been interesting. Cadogan, who destroyed us in the replay last year, went off early with hamstring. Interestingly Harnedy seemed to suffer one late on also. Neither were sprinting at the time which tells me they were fatigued due to serious training schedule.

Plenty of room for improvement, timing of the ball into the full-forward line, Gleeson attempting a few catches near the end and getting nowhere near the ball, Gleeson mixing the sublime delivery with the absurd waste of possession...need to counter Harnedy in the air.

Cork won't be as bad again, recent history has shown us that they are quick learners against us and Championship hurling takes on a life of its own...frees are harder to win, bigger crowds, the new weight of expectation.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson from the two-legged affair last year. None of this is meant as criticism as we were magnificent at times. But 'at times' won't win an All-Ireland. Why should we not now have that as our aim? We are good enough, the question is whether we can be consistent enough, physical enough, smart enough or lucky enough.

KK are weakened, no doubt. Clare are a soap opera under Davy. Cork could go either way but have enough quality up front to hurt any team in full stride. Galway, Dublin and Limerick are schizophrenic recently. Tipp are the standout candidates imho, they are not up to full speed yet. But it's wide open.

So the question is: why not Waterford ?

deisedude wrote: »
    Fixed your post

I seriously don't understand how people get joy out of coming on to an internet forum just to piss people off. Have you ever even posted in this thread before this match?

For your information I have actually on a few occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Scifo wrote: »
    Small margins. Harnedy should have goaled. Lehane very unlucky to hit the woodwork. 6 points right there. Valid point waved wide, up to 7. Couple of bad wides eliminated and would have been interesting. Cadogan, who destroyed us in the replay last year, went off early with hamstring. Interestingly Harnedy seemed to suffer one late on also. Neither were sprinting at the time which tells me they were fatigued due to serious training schedule.

Plenty of room for improvement, timing of the ball into the full-forward line, Gleeson attempting a few catches near the end and getting nowhere near the ball, Gleeson mixing the sublime delivery with the absurd waste of possession...need to counter Harnedy in the air.

Cork won't be as bad again, recent history has shown us that they are quick learners against us and Championship hurling takes on a life of its own...frees are harder to win, bigger crowds, the new weight of expectation.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson from the two-legged affair last year. None of this is meant as criticism as we were magnificent at times. But 'at times' won't win an All-Ireland. Why should we not now have that as our aim? We are good enough, the question is whether we can be consistent enough, physical enough, smart enough or lucky enough.

KK are weakened, no doubt. Clare are a soap opera under Davy. Cork could go either way but have enough quality up front to hurt any team in full stride. Galway, Dublin and Limerick are schizophrenic recently. Tipp are the standout candidates imho, they are not up to full speed yet. But it's wide open.

Just on a point of interest re valid point waved wide

Wasn't Hawkeye to be trialled in Thurles this weekend ! any reason given for change of plan ?

Scifo wrote: »

Have to agree with all of that

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Just wondering will the management open up the panel to maybe add to it for the championship? How many,if any would likely make a difference to what's already there? Must be hard to keep Conor Murray from Cappoquin on it now as he won't be playing championship with his club for the year so in theory he will only be playing intercounty for 2015 as he still haven't transferred to anywhere else. Maybe the club championship games might put a few players names in the mix but i can't see them upsetting the apple cart too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

N20 wrote: »
    Yer minors are named

what d'ye reckon ?

Waterford Minor Team v Limerick 04/05/2015

The Waterford Minor Hurling Team to play

Limerick on Wednesday night in Thurles at 7pm

has been named this evening.

Best of luck lads!

Billy Nolan

Roanmore
    Darragh Lynch

Passage
    Conor Prunty

Abbeyside
    Darragh McGrath

Abbeyside
    Jordan Henley

Tallow
    Darragh Lyons

Dungarvan
    Cormac Dunphy

Ballyduff Lower
    Calum Lyons

Ballyduff Lower
    J.P. Lucey

Shamrocks
    Glenn Waters

Dungarvan
    Andy Molumby

Cappoquin
    Eddie Meaney

De La Salle
    Aaron O’Sullivan

Cappquin
    Jack Prendergast

Lismore
    Peter Hogan

Ballygunner

Strange that there are no changes bar a couple of positional ones. Although I actually thought we were the better team versus Tipp and should’ve won it, if we’d taken our chances. Maybe they’ve just kept faith with the same lads again in the hope that we’ll take our chances this time. But Id fear its more to do with lack of strength in depth than anything else. Saying that I’m surprised they haven’t found a place for Nolan out the field. An excellent keeper no doubt, but a very talented all round hurler. Definetly one for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

archieknox wrote: »
    Just wondering will the management open up the panel to maybe add to it for the championship? How many,if any would likely make a difference to what's already there? Must be hard to keep Conor Murray from Cappoquin on it now as he won't be playing championship with his club for the year so in theory he will only be playing intercounty for 2015 as he still haven't transferred to anywhere else. Maybe the club championship games might put a few players names in the mix but i can't see them upsetting the apple cart too much.

I thought that the Murray brothers had all transferred to Blackrock in Cork?

Dan Shan said in an interview over the weekend that the panel is an open shop, and anyone who shows good club form over the next few weeks can still be called-up. Including some of the older lads who had been dropped before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Looking forward to the minors, they appear to be a bit on the small side and probably not as good as the previous few years and lacking depth from the bench. Notwithstanding that, I do expect a number of them to go on and play senior in the coming years and undoubtedly there are some seriously talented individuals on that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Dan Shan said in an interview over the weekend that the panel is an open shop, and anyone who shows good club form over the next few weeks can still be called-up. Including some of the older lads who had been dropped before Christmas.

I don't think those transfers have happened yet but if Cornerstone is on here he will definitely know the latest with the 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

O Riain wrote: »
    Its not good for the heart but you'd appreciate the win a lot more. Still though its great to beat Cork by 10 points as it really doesn't happen much (ever)

I'd gladly beat cork by 20 points every day and be just as happy!!!

Just thinking back to when we have looked uncomfortable this year, Begley troubled us against Limerick, Some of the big Galway forwards for a spell in the 2nd half (when it looked bad for us), Bonnar maher against Tipp and Harnedy against Cork winning good possession in the air.
    We haven't had it all our own way and ball winning forwards who won their own possession in the air have really troubled us.
    I would describe Colin fennely, Eoin Larkin, TJ Reid, Richie power, Walter Walsh and john power as such, with smart and very mobile hurlers like paul Murphy, cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Richie Hogan and michael fennely delivering ball into them I still can't see our approach working against them, but it may make us more competitive.
    I am sure Jackie Tyrell would be kicking his lips at the prospect of Colin dunford streaking towards him on a solo run.

After Sunday I would be hoping for very competitive championship displays and hopefully a scalp somewhere this year, but still maybe 2-3 years away from really contending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

One of the transfers didn't go through apparently is what I've heard on the Cork end!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement