Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Miall108 wrote: »
    Yeh its so gutting to not to win a league title. Its far more sickening facing up to a Championship campaign with Liam McCarthy currently in our possession and even worse we only have 5 current All Stars in the team. Would much rather 1 League Title and then fade away for 5 more years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yea definetly bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Excuse me but I thought ye actually had ambitions of winning the All Ireland rather than being just happy with what ye have got. No disrespect but ye really need to get out of that small fish mentality ye have over a league if ye want to get anywhere with this team. What annoys me is the fact that yere getting carried away over it thinking yere the "real deal" as someone mentioned earlier which was what I responded to. Its that attitude that Im basing my predictions on yer Championship credentials. Ya dont see us hanging from the rafters like monkeys when we win a league title. Its simply another match over and onto the next

What would you have said to any Waterford man that said the ambition is the all ireland at the start of the year? I'm sure you wouldn't have sneered at all or said something about 56 years or what Waterford know about hurling or anything. God forbid somebody can enjoy winning something. I suppose no Kilkenny fans celebrated after any of those league finals beating Tipp? Ye just all nodded and accepted it, yeah? Would be contrary to what my eyes and ears saw and heard after the reaction of winning a relegation playoff this year.

Or how about the celebrations after beating Tipp in a qualifier game? Same after narrowly edging Waterford, invading the pitch. But in my opinion, you've every right and should be celebrating every win. Of course, god forbid we could enjoy this league title though. Sure Kilkenny don't give a hoot about the league, that's why they've only been in 8 of the last 10 finals.

Do you have any idea what he actually meant by the real deal? Did you ask him? Do you think it's possible he's a bit excited about this team given where we were this time last year?

Galway won a league in 2011 I think, that aside every team that won the league has won their provincial championship going back as far as Galway in 2004 who had no provincial championship and before that 2000 has won their provincial championship the same year. So good league form and championship form do often go hand in hand.

Maybe he was excited by the fact that despite everyone telling us that Limerick and Wexford were the top two for promotion this year, that we were delighted with the point got down in Limerick on a day we should have won, that it would be very hard to get a result in Wexford, that no 1B team has every beaten a 1A team, that we were in bonus territory against Tipp and they needed it more, that there was more pressure on Cork and their experience would shade it but what a valiant effort by Waterford to get that far. And even now having hammered Cork, their still saying it's just the league, Waterford have shown their hand, Cork didn't go full throttle etc etc.

Well I'll tell you, in most people's estimations we had no hand to deal at the start of the year so I'll take it thanks very much. I believe there is an all-ireland in this team, had the belief that there would be eventually but it's a firm conviction now more so than a belief driven largely by eternal hope. If I was to be 100% honest it would be an enormous achievement to win a league and all-ireland in the one year, and I would imagine it might just prove too difficult this year but it certainly isn't impossible.

But sure you'll probably have a go at me now for mentioning the all-ireland, sure what right have I? And yet hear you are still telling me you thought our ambition was to win an all-ireland. Sure you've all the bases covered, good man yourself.

The reality of all this is for some reason today has upset you. I have no idea why because you've seen Kilkenny win 10 all irelands, but you couldn't let it lie. You had to try and rain on the parade. That is an unbelievable level of bitterness.

EDIT: Went back for a second look, if you think telling ye that Barry Kelly does not have a conspiracy against Kilkenny is some load of brown then maybe I should just give up. Sense and reason seem to be two things you have a difficulty grasping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

Yeh its so gutting to not to win a league title. Its far more sickening facing up to a Championship campaign with Liam McCarthy currently in our possession and even worse we only have 5 current All Stars in the team. Would much rather 1 League Title and then fade away for 5 more years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yerra, it'll do i suppose. The Kilkenny fella with an inferiority complex is a bit blase at this stage though. But, sure looks like you're all we've got at the moment, so carry on ...

Again complacency creeping in as always. Ye won a battle but ye didnt win the war

The man your quoting if from Limerick. You're putting on quite the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Another great performance today. Derek McGrath is certainly proving all of us who doubted him earlier in the year wrong and isn't it great. Also hats off to Barry Coughlan. No way would I have thought he was good enough for full back but have to say I have been impressed by him the last few games. Like Derek he has proved many of us wrong.
    Of course the real hurling will start in June so lets not get carried away as we have a tendency to do in Waterford. Despite that its hard not to feel very hopeful for a team who have so much ability and who leave everything on the pitch. Roll on the 7th of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Or how about the celebrations after beating Tipp in a qualifier game? Same after narrowly edging Waterford, invading the pitch. But in my opinion, you've every right and should be celebrating every win. Of course, god forbid we could enjoy this league title though. Sure Kilkenny don't give a hoot about the league, that's why they've only been in 8 of the last 10 finals.

So good league form and championship form do often go hand in hand.

But sure you'll probably have a go at me now for mentioning the all-ireland, sure what right have I? And yet hear you are still telling me you thought our ambition was to win an all-ireland. Sure you've all the bases covered, good man yourself.

The reality of all this is for some reason today has upset you. I have no idea why because you've seen Kilkenny win 10 all irelands, but you couldn't let it lie. You had to try and rain on the parade. That is an unbelievable level of bitterness.

I dont necessarily agree with that statement completely nor did I ever say Kilkenny dont take the league seriously, we do but we dont dwell in victories or defeats because thats all it is, the league. Turn back to Cork and Clare in an All Ireland 2 years ago when both were in a relegation play off. Im pretty sure Offaly were also relegated when they won one of their All Irelands in the 90's. Good league form maybe but the cream always rises to the top in the Championship and more often than not the bigger teams/ main contenders rise in the Championship.

Sorry but the reason I mentioned the All Ireland part is because I thought ye Waterford crowd are always thinking "this year is our year". I hear it time and time again from plenty of Waterford people so cant tell me Im wrong even if you are a bit more realistic

EDIT: I dont recall saying a thing about Barry Kelly on that for your information and yes the conspiracy theory is both juvenile and ridiculous but some of your more expanded comments were a bit ridiculous(brown)

The man your quoting if from Limerick. You're putting on quite the show.

IF you can provide any substantial evidence that the League is the equivelent of a battle and the Championship a war then I rest my case. Quite a pathetic argument. Not a hope its the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

No one be fair no one said waterford would beat cork by ten points so there was no reason for me let myself down gently
    The bookies had cork favourite and at best point or two in the game
    The easy win waterford had shows clearly championship be different
    At this stage I will say no more for now as we'll agree to disagree as we all won't agree in we have different views
    But don't think cork fear waterford yes there's respect there but cork imo are still the team waterford have to beat and we will leave June decide all

Cork didn't throw the game but didn't show any hunger or desire to push on in the second half and Waterford had loads of space and cork were way off touch and pace and energy wise imo compared to the level they can play at
    Also as said during the week cork had four injury worries for today

You just can't stop, can you? No one here cares what state your county side were in today, win or lose. The majority are Waterford supporters enjoying their team's victory and Cork are just incidental to that. The opposition could have been Clare, Kilkenny or Antrim. Nobody cares. You seem to be on a one man crusade to defend the honour of the team you support as if their performance is some sort of embarrassment to yourself and your community. If the loss is as insignificant as you say it is why don't you just leave things lie instead of promising everyone how different it will be next month. You have no control over the outcome of that game anyway so I don't understand your urge to predict what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Again complacency creeping in as always. Ye won a battle but ye didnt win the war

That guy is from Limerick ya big eejit. Do the cows not need feeding that you're on here with your sour grapes? A Cork fella I could understand, but a Kilkenny man in the Waterford thread complaining is baffling to be totally fair.

O Riain wrote: »
    That guy is from Limerick ya big eejit. Do the cows not need feeding that you're on here with your sour grapes? A Cork fella I could understand, but a Kilkenny man in the Waterford thread complaining is baffling to be totally fair.

What does it matter where hes from? Its a pretty accurate saying when it comes to specific aspects of sport

• Advertisement

IF you can provide any substantial evidence that the League is the equivelent of a battle and the Championship a war then I rest my case. Quite a pathetic argument. Not a hope its the other way round

What is a pathetic argument? No, I would see them as two separate competitions that are both worth winning. Obviously, the championship is the biggest prize of the year. Does winning the league mean you will win the all ireland? No. Does it harm your prospects? No.

Did you claim Waterford people are being complacent because a Limerick man thinks highly of Waterford? Yes, yes you did.

Now, what was that pathetic argument again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

What does it matter where hes from? Its a pretty accurate saying when it comes to specific aspects of sport

You said "Again complacency creeping in as always. Ye won a battle but ye didnt win the war" directly referring to the Limerick man's post so that's why it matters.

I saw no over the top celebrations today just lads who have worked really hard all year celebrating a national title. No one here is saying we are going to win the AI but we have a bit more hope now

ye Waterford crowd are always thinking "this year is our year".

What it must be like in that parallel universe all the way over on the other side of that bridge? Do yourself a favour and get out of the small town you’re from. There’s a bigger world out there that doesn’t revolve around GAA. Its obviously eating you up inside and making you bitter. All the success in the world obviously doesn’t deviate from the jealousy of another teams small success.

I dont necessarily agree with that statement completely nor did I ever say Kilkenny dont take the league seriously, we do but we dont dwell in victories or defeats because thats all it is, the league. Turn back to Cork and Clare in an All Ireland 2 years ago when both were in a relegation play off. Im pretty sure Offaly were also relegated when they won one of their All Irelands in the 90's. Good league form maybe but the cream always rises to the top in the Championship and more often than not the bigger teams/ main contenders rise in the Championship.

Sorry but the reason I mentioned the All Ireland part is because I thought ye Waterford crowd are always thinking "this year is our year". I hear it time and time again from plenty of Waterford people so cant tell me Im wrong even if you are a bit more realistic

EDIT: I dont recall saying a thing about Barry Kelly on that for your information and yes the conspiracy theory is both juvenile and ridiculous but some of your more expanded comments were a bit ridiculous(brown)

You're talking about exceptions more than rules there. I'd say if you looked over this thread there was one person asking is this our year who lives abroad. Pretty sure nobody else really talked about Waterford and all-irelands before today, nor do I think anyone today has said Waterford are going to win the all-ireland just because we won the league. There's a lot of posters on here by the way.

As for the second bit, you didn't but it was what I said in the post you quoted when you said what you said to me. I have been labelled a troll on that thread for saying as much as what you have just acknowledged as juvenile, I also had an issue with Brian Cody's criminal comment just because I thought it was bad form given it was 3 weeks on and they'd won the bloody all ireland, though admittedly out of character. And that in a nutshell is what I said on the page, repeatedly I'll admit just because I was incredulous at some of the observations being made though should be said a minority rather than a majority making them. And I'll leave it there.

Did you claim Waterford people are being complacent because a Limerick man thinks highly of Waterford? Yes, yes you did.

If you look back I mentioned complacency long before the Limerick mans comments and I also noticed a good few eejits(from Waterford) posting similar themed comments on various social media sites this evening so to say a lot of people arent becoming complacent is simply not true and as for the team we will see come Championship whether history can be reversed. No doubt I will also hear the smugness over nothing from a few others I know personally who will try to pathetically compare to Kilkenny which they always do

What it must be like in that parallel universe all the way over on the other side of that bridge? Do yourself a favour and get out of the small town you’re from. There’s a bigger world out there that doesn’t revolve around GAA. Its obviously eating you up inside and making you bitter. All the success in the world obviously doesn’t deviate from the jealousy of another teams small success.

Why would we be jealous of a league title? League medals are handed out as change where we are we have so many of them. Thats rather wishful thinking of you. I only came to remind ye that bigger challenges lie ahead if that team wants to get to where they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Great result today, onwards & upwards
    Up the Deise

Why would we be jealous of a league title? League medals are handed out as change where we are we have so many of them. Thats rather wishful thinking of you. I only came to remind ye that bigger challenges lie ahead if that team wants to get to where they want to

Ya but you have to live in Kilkenny though. I'd imagine that tends to rather deaden the mood.

Newson123 wrote: »
    Ya but you have to live in Kilkenny though. I'd imagine that tends to rather deaden the mood.

Yeh its not easy being born winners but sure look thats life. Its better than being in a scenario of getting to a first All Ireland in decades and then doing the ultimate butchers job on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There aren't that many major trophies awarded in hurling to turn your nose up at them. At the end of the day, this was a final and Waterford won it: they had to beat all in the path to get there, they had to win the game and were the best team in the competition. I'd rather win a Munster medal than a league too, and rather an All-Ireland to a Munster but they're not being played at the moment... you can only win the competition that you're currently in.

Winning trophies and having days like that is what sport is all about. Even if Limerick were to go on and win a load of All-Irelands in the next few years, I would still cherish the memory of that Munster win in 2013. Waterford have had better return in provincial competitions in recent times but this is a new team, and any win is going to boost player's confidence. And for older lads- Brick, Shane O'Sullivan, maybe one or two others- they've not got a lot of time left that they can't afford to celebrate winning medals. And at the end of the day, this 2015 National League- Waterford have won it and nobody else has- not Cork, not Kilkenny, not Limerick.

Enjoy it lads. It's not the be-all and end-all by any means, but I don't think the panel are going to rest on their laurels, but everyone should enjoy winning a trophy.

• Advertisement

Yeh its not easy being born winners but sure look thats life. Its better than being in a scenario of getting to a first All Ireland in decades and then doing the ultimate butchers job on it

Ya be that as it may, Kilkenny ... you'd have to live there. That's just a fact.

Newson123 wrote: »
    Ya be that as it may, Kilkenny ... you'd have to live there. That's just a fact.

I could say the same for you and Waterford. Very intelligent comments there Mr Obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

That was joy to watch today, a real statement of intent from these young guys. The faces on the Cork crowd leaving early was priceless, they were absolutely stunned, I dont think anyone outside the county expected a display like that from our young team.
    I think we need to drive on now, momentum is with us and we cant afford any complaceny, Cork couldnt get to grips with our system of play nor could Tipp the last day. Championship is a different prospect but guys like Ozzie and Jamie barron play with no fear, with a bit of minor tweaking teams will start to fear us and then the championship we could be a real threat.

You came on here because of your deep-seated hatred and bitterness towards waterford. Nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Redkilkenny

Well done to Waterford - great win today:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Drunk out just as well I've pretictive txt ha,some team lads we're only heading one way and dats up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Congrats to all the players and management today. I will post my thoughts on the game on my blog tomorrow. I have to say I am a bit surprised by some of the comments on this site tonight.

I felt Jamie Barron was the the best player on view today and by some margin. I see no reason whatsoever why Cork will turn it around in 5 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Yeh its not easy being born winners a bitter little man but sure look thats life.

Fixed your post

I seriously don't understand how people get joy out of coming on to an internet forum just to piss people off. Have you ever even posted in this thread before this match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Despite that, you don't have any League medals in your possession at all. That's not a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ah lads, dont rise to the very obvious bait.

Anyway, league title is yesterday now. Time to move on and look forward to the Championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement