Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Yes I know it's only the league but if this team can keep improving the way they've done so far then who knows when this journey will end. Watched the match last night - hadn't realised that Brick had such a good game, but really you could have picked 5 or 6 people for man of the match. When lads with that skill level are willing to work like dogs for each other like they did yesterday, it really bodes well for the future.

Brilliant to be standing on the hallowed turf of Semple stadium yesterday watching a Waterford man picking up silverware. Up the Déise!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Great win for a county like Waterford - to think that we doubted we would get promoted and we have gone all the way - this never happens in Hurling, the team and managment have upset all the odds, including the vast majority of our own supporters - I remember how low we felt last year - so this is some turnaround.

I like to come on here to see peoples opinions of games etc so its a shame the most of of it after the match is unreadable tripe. some sad people out there.

Maybe so but Waterford are hardly in position look down on cork when cork many times need was greatest beat Waterford big games down the years in majority so when waterford win all Ireland then they can talk

Don't be naive belive louganne he doesn't honestly think they will win all Ireland he's typical being cute ger as even waterford poster said cork thread but it's beautiful for clare as take hype off clare he will build up waterford as new pretenders probably Tuesday say new clare and better and course he know lot naivety in fans will belive him and all talk waterford when clare imo would beat Waterford no problem as their system is just as rigid but they have better hurlers

Kavanagh is imo newish to punditry and look he likes waterford so I'd expect the popular view but in fairness yere way off an all ireland as even most waterford fans don't belive ye win it this year

There's an old saying don't run before you can walk

TTM are you honestly saying to Supprters of a team with Waterfords history, on a night that they have won a national title, to come back and talk when they have won an All-Ireland?

Very poor form out of you and not something I would expect of a true Hurling person as I had expected you to be previously.
    Dont worry we are not getting ideas above our station, following Waterford through thick and thin year after year does have a tempering affect on expectations levels!
    We dont need you to take us down a peg or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Yes I know it's only the league but if this team can keep improving the way they've done so far then who knows when this journey will end. Watched the match last night - hadn't realised that Brick had such a good game, but really you could have picked 5 or 6 people for man of the match. When lads with that skill level are willing to work like dogs for each other like they did yesterday, it really bodes well for the future.

Brilliant to be standing on the hallowed turf of Semple stadium yesterday watching a Waterford man picking up silverware. Up the Déise!!
    Well done to waterford, National League titles are hard to come by for counties outside the big three so warerford's achievement not to be sniffed at...great to see and with the talent ye have coming through should be up there challenging very strongly in the next few years...I just hope limerick give their minors if the last few years the same chances and put thrust in them like waterford have done...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Now that the beer goggles are off and I have some sort of normality back in my body wasn't it some display? My God Cork on the day had no answer to us. I know throughout the year on here we've have disagreements over players,management and systems but to read back through some of the posts since last night I can't get my head around the jealousy and ill feeling towards us? We are a proud county starved of success and when it comes along why shouldn't we celebrate it? We are certainly not getting carried away,the game on the 7th June will be a real battle but one we can go into with real belief and confidence. Pity Shane Bennett won't be available can you imagine the damage he'd do in full flight against Cork? The future is bright,still needs hard work,but nothing is impossible for these lads and congrats again Derek McGrath you have silenced your critics, myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't buy this rubbish about it's only a league. Winning 1B doesn't really matter, but winning the league outright is a great achievement.

I had written Waterford off last year, but looks like they are as good as anyone now. And I for one certainly won't begrudge ye if ye win the AI too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Seems fashionable for some to tear down the Waterford Team acting like this was a meaningless game, only 3 trophies up for grabs every year and Waterford has won one of them, Fact is Waterford totally dominated the game from start to finish in every area of the field, people acting like we only won because Cork didn't play, no the Waterford team is full of quality players as good as the Cork team. In this league we have gone unbeaten, convincingly beat two division 1A teams in Cork and Galway and beaten many people's favorites for the All Ireland Tipp, At the start of the year most people would have said the best Waterford can do is hope to get promoted and maybe win a game or two in the qualifiers, it may only be May but like it or not Waterford are serious contenders for both Munster and the All Ireland something nobody would have said before the League, Watched the Sunday Game tonight and both Loghnan and Michael Kavanagh picked Waterford as the potential dark horse to win, I'm not saying we are favorites but the league showed we are still at the top table of hurling and if i were Cork i wouldn't fancy playing us again in 5 weeks.

Some people did think Waterford were serious this year Dick [ you said nobody but I know what you mean in fairness]. I tipped them on my blog to win Munster at 10/1 in January !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

TTM are you honestly saying to Supprters of a team with Waterfords history, on a night that they have won a national title, to come back and talk when they have won an All-Ireland?

Very poor form out of you and not something I would expect of a true Hurling person as I had expected you to be previously.
    Dont worry we are not getting ideas above our station, following Waterford through thick and thin year after year does have a tempering affect on expectations levels!
    We dont need you to take us down a peg or anything!
    To answer your question
    Not taking ye down at all just when you have lad calling cork class a bottlers that my post replied directly to my point was cork he may have point but Waterford have not exactly won much to be fair
    A true hurling fan as you put it would to be fair not accept cork class a bottlers from county won nothing much to be fair and that's post I replied to calling cork class a bottlers
    Cork have a famine yes no questions but cork when get all Ireland don't bottle as many like others and this team didn't bottle it two years ago were dominated by better team
    There'd a difference

There's a few thinking not all that there able to slant cork fair enough if valid but Waterford were exactly no postion call cork class a bottlers which post I replied to be fair

If kk man called cork that to be fair not many cork men can reply to it but Waterford are no kk and still trying to break in to the top four imo certainly no way as good as being hyped up to be

As for all Irelands course yr won national title and I regard more value than munster now imo however like I said cork thread with cork cork need all Irelands and same any county in yes you enjoy win absolutely but no county can think there positions of high moral ground like KK until when all Ireland
    All Irelands are ultimate test of any team and I regard it same for cork so no reason why different any other county that wants to be treated as real force in hurling if so you win an all Ireland
    That's a fair ask imo any county claiming they want more respect as real top team

The record up to yesterday was past few years cork had won or least be level head to head waterford and even poor undrr twenty one team coached cork beat Waterford last year so talk that Waterford some how got ahead cork based on one game that cork as second half showed didn't really want to know is bit over blown
    If waterford beat cork in June then I'll say absolutely better team
    But on yesterday imo the better teams on the given day and had more hunger for it
    And I hope geuinely ye enjoy the win but June is coming fast
    Some talk here is cork may as well not bother to even show up
    Based on one game when ist half below par cork were within four points ye is imo a tad premature

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

You came on here because of your deep-seated hatred and bitterness towards waterford. Nothing else

Your clutching at straws now

To answer your question
    Not taking ye down at all just when you have lad calling cork class a bottlers that my post replied directly to my point was cork he may have point but Waterford have not exactly won much to be fair
    A true hurling fan as you put it would to be fair not accept cork class a bottlers from county won nothing much to be fair and that's post I replied to calling cork class a bottlers
    Cork have a famine yes no questions but cork when get all Ireland don't bottle as many like others and this team didn't bottle it two years ago were dominated by better team
    There'd a difference

There's a few thinking not all that there able to slant cork fair enough if valid but Waterford were exactly no postion call cork class a bottlers which post I replied to be fair

If kk man called cork that to be fair not many cork men can reply to it but Waterford are no kk and still trying to break in to the top four imo certainly no way as good as being hyped up to be

As for all Irelands course yr won national title and I regard more value than munster now imo however like I said cork thread with cork cork need all Irelands and same any county in yes you enjoy win absolutely but no county can think there positions of high moral ground like KK until when all Ireland
    All Irelands are ultimate test of any team and I regard it same for cork so no reason why different any other county that wants to be treated as real force in hurling if so you win an all Ireland
    That's a fair ask imo any county claiming they want more respect as real top team

The record up to yesterday was past few years cork had won or least be level head to head waterford and even poor undrr twenty one team coached cork beat Waterford last year so talk that Waterford some how got ahead cork based on one game that cork as second half showed didn't really want to know is bit over blown
    If waterford beat cork in June then I'll say absolutely better team
    But on yesterday imo the better teams on the given day and had more hunger for it
    And I hope geuinely ye enjoy the win but June is coming fast
    Some talk here is cork may as well not bother to even show up
    Based on one game when ist half below par cork were within four points ye is imo a tad premature

Ye must be getting worried down by the lee?

A few months ago this fixture looked a gimme, now it's a 50-50 at best from cork's pov.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Ye must be getting worried down by the lee?

A few months ago this fixture looked a gimme, now it's a 50-50 at best from cork's pov.

Absolutely it has changed a bit but I'm not worried as I called the game before and half time and even said wait cork mind games start and read jbm interview beautifully played imo and it went as I thought it would
    Nothing much say now as June will show better cork

Absolutely it has changed a bit but I'm not worried as I called the game before and half time and even said wait cork mind games start and read jbm interview beautifully played imo and it went as I thought it would

Fair enough. Risky ploy if that's what they were up to. I like both teams so would like to see both do well, but Cork are losing their aura so they need to starting winning national titles imo. Teams like Laois/Antrim/Wexford should even be having a right pop off them now.

As for Waterford, just shows how important the manager is, but we all know they have some very good young players coming through. I'd tip Waterford to win an AI before either Cork or Limk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Kevin Morans point in the 2nd half when he runs from midfield and Mark Eilis is chasing him, watch the replay...you can see Eilis's face, he's absolutely huffing and puffing trying to catch him, I love the way you keep saying Cork stopped trying in the 2nd half...watch his face, he's trying his heart out to catch Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

but I'm not worried as I called the game before and half time

you're great,

Match analysis lads ?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Kevin Morans point in the 2nd half when he runs from midfield and Mark Eilis is chasing him, watch the replay...you can see Eilis's face, he's absolutely huffing and puffing trying to catch him, I love the way you keep saying Cork stopped trying in the 2nd half...watch his face, he's trying his heart out to catch Moran

Great point and glad you showed that

The reason like I said during week huffing puffing is he's limited training up to this game as no where near full fitness or was Nash and Murphy had wear shoulder brace
    It was about game time more than anything
    I'm not saying this now in fairness I said this all week

But look if it makes you feel better cork were all out, this waterford team were awesome and to be fair we have no chance in June hopefully a bit of luck and Waterford off day may just may win

Look if you want belive cork were all out fair point I'm not going to change your view
    I respect your different opinion
    June will be very interesting

quintain wrote: »
    you're great, now would you ever fcuk off ?

Match analysis lads ?

I'm debating points which what everyone doing
    You don't like view don't read it but please be civil
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

I'm debating points which what everyone doing
    You don't like view don't read it but please be civil
    Thanks

fair play, original post edited

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Strange experience yesterday. I'm going to these matches since the bleak days of the early 80's. Yesterday was the first time I've felt really confident from early on in the game that we had Cork's measure. I'm sure that there will be a backlash in 5 weeks time but I'm not overly convinced that Cork have what it takes to bridge the gap. The biggest problem that Cork have is a failure to win 50/50 clashes. This was evident in the match against Dublin (until the Dubs ran out of Gas) and was the same yesterday. Take Harmody out of the Cork forwards and who will win dirty ball? You need your forwards willing to take some stick, I'm not sure enough of the Cork forwards are willing to put it on the line.

For us we have have plenty to work on. 15 wides and some very poor play and decision making in the the first 10 minutes of the second half in particular. The spirit in the squad looks to be great, their conditioning is excellent and now their confidence must be soaring. In January I wrote here about having hope following a series of challenge games, what a great feeling to have silverware in the boot in May and have real hope of more to come in the next 24 months. Its amazing the way the wheel turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Well done to all involved from players to management excellent throughout great display yesterday a joy to watch

The reason like I said during week huffing puffing is he's limited training up to this game as no where near full fitness or was Nash and Murphy had wear shoulder brace

But look if it makes you feel better cork were all out, this waterford team were awesome and to be fair we have no chance in June hopefully a bit of luck and Waterford off day may just may win

Look if you want belive cork were all out fair point I'm not going to change your view
    But in fairness you don't have many options, Paudie O'Sullivan basically played the whole game yesterday didn't make much difference. You think that Cork are going to improve 10 points better ok, but Waterford are going to go backwards? We had fellas coming off the bench yesterday Devine and O'Halloran scoring for fun. What were O'Farrell and Cahalane doing? We have Darragh Fives and Steven Daniels to return to our defense also.... Cork will improve for sure, but so will Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

For 2 weeks before this game you made an annoying amount of posts on here going on at length 1-15 saying how much better the Cork player was to his Waterford counterpart.

Cork may very well beat us in 5 weeks but to say Cork lost by 10 points and it was tactical and mind games is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The lads have been playing all year with dogged intensity and the only time I thought that was missing over the course of the league was maybe the first 15 minutes against Tipp but after that it was very much to the fore. Yesterday was no different, from the start they tore into it.

I don't think Dunford can be praise enough for his contribution since coming into the team since the start of last year. His pace and skill is incredible. Use of the ball at times could be improved but he's a serious threat to the opposition whenever he gets the ball wherever he gets it.

Midfield was the winning of the game, Cork seemed to hold their backs fairly rigidly in place and so had plenty of men covering Maurice but there was plenty of overlaps being created in midfield especially as you have unbelievable pace and dynamism in the likes of Moran, Barron and Dunford. Pauric Mahony's work rate was incredible and he has the best hurling brain in Waterford I think, never wastes a ball.

Thought Gleeson may well have been our best player first half, but then Noel Connors was exceptional and to be honest there was about 5 players there that could have been a worthy choice for man of the match.

I've seen criticism of the ref from Cork quarters and he's not one I like, I did notice one or two soft frees we got on League Sunday alright and obviously there's Cooper's alleged point but for balance the linesman gave a lineball to Cork that was clearly a Waterford ball and from that resultant play Cork nearly got a goal but for a wonderful save from SOK, who in my opinion is better than Nash and 7 years his junior. Brick was also rugby tackled at one stage and got a free given against him, no to mention Gleeson resetting a sideline and Johnny Ryan letting the boo boys in the Cork crowd influence him in overturning it. Same thing happened later on and he didn't over-rule it, was pretty blatant posturing from the ref.

The man who had that effort, Harnedy proved pretty much unplayable yesterday and he is a serious threat for the next day. Caught two early balls off Bourke and then Gleeson swtiched on him and he caught another one. In fairness, Bourke grew into the game and made a great catch second half. Lehane is the other one but don't think he's a full forward.

Coughlan again did his job very well and fairplay to him. I was saying the other day to the father that I think we always have doubts about full back no matter who is in there probably unfairly due to how many times it was a major issue from about 2001 until 2010 and I think Lawlor suffered from every game people were concerned no matter how little was let in the day before. Coughlan similarly there is a reluctance to heap too much praise with concerns over the forwards hes marked but he has had a very good league and fairplay to him, nailed on starter for the championship.

The Brick scored two absolutely cracking points, as well as making the goal for Devine who did very well when introduced. I was just after saying that Brick looked out on his feet and then he made a complete mug of me doing only what he can do by winning a ball in a crowd of players and laying it off.

The problem with the system is the scarcity of bodies inside the 45 if we counter too quickly. Maurice did very well in my opinion to contend with 2 to 3 men on him all day and on another day would have another point or two. He gave the full back plenty of problems, was out in front a lot and won several frees. Any forward would struggle in the circumstances so fairplay to him.

On a final note, Fergal Hartley was behind me hurling every ball and giving great support. I saw a clip of Clinton I'm fairly sure on League Sunday. Dan was their still giving out to the ref and roaring the lads on and we 10 points up with a minute left :D It's great to see all those lads their and what it means to them as the success is a by product of all they have done for Waterford.

Look league has no relation to championship, god we know that, in terms of fitness etc we have peaked earlier then others, this league was very important to us because of the pressure the whole senior set up was under, even from their supporters.

when national titles are won as rarely as we win them you dont really think forward to June, we are far from the finished article and in some quarters may still even be ranked as the 5th best team in Munster (a label it could be argued Cork are fighting with us for, but again a label that means nothing as all the teams can beat each other in my opinion).
    There was a trophy and medals handed out yesterday and if Cork couldnt raise there game to win against a team that came from 1B then it shows serious flaws in them and is not part of some master plan.

Cork went down without a fight - the worst criticsm you can level at any hurling team, and if they want to be considered as taking on the likes of Kilkenny then yesterday shows that there is big question marks.

Would I be surprised if the tables were turned and Cork came out on top in June? No as I said I think all Munster teams can beat each other.... but you can hardly expect us to be thinking like that at this stage after yesterday

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    But in fairness you don't have many options, Paudie O'Sullivan basically played the whole game yesterday didn't make much difference. You think that Cork are going to improve 10 points better ok, but Waterford are going to go backwards? We had fellas coming off the bench yesterday Devine and O'Halloran scoring for fun. What were O'Farrell and Cahalane doing? We have Darragh Fives and Steven Daniels to return to our defense also.... Cork will improve for sure, but so will Waterford
    There was no hunger no intensity no want for battle

Mcdonnell even said interview after he's not worried won't affect cork he sees it blessing he won't be as bad again
    He cork best defender last year and yesterday showed no interest like many cork lads

Problems ye have is that same team will start v cotk and system and yesterday looked good with no pressure
    When pressure comes on in game very had change mid stream

Cork will have imo possibly three changes and be more tweaks system
    But that's not for now to discuss

Forget about ten points it means nothing
    Cork second gear four points down half time and imo could see cork said we saw what we needed right that will do that's why posted half time cork will fade away

Don't get hyped up ten point win imo

Mcdonnell even said interview after he's not worried won't affect cork he sees it blessing he won't be as bad again
    He cork best defender last year and yesterday showed no interest like many cork lads

Problems ye have is that same team will start v cotk and system and yesterday looked good with no pressure

Cork second gear four points down half time and imo could see cork said we saw what we needed right that will do that's why posted half time cork will fade away

Tipp pressured us first 15 mins, and they have better forwards than Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ok point made x 1000. Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Any sign of a minor team for wednesday night? Hopefully they can feed off the buzz from the senior success and go give it a right lash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ok point made x 1000. Jesus

His point isn't made until he writes Imo ten or twenty times how else would anyone know what he is writing is his opinion ? I wish everyone did it I get confused with everyone writing other people's opinions on here...

Interesting to see Derek McGrath name check Patrick Curran in a post match interview, basically he was saying that in a few years we could play a more expansive game centred around the likes of Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennet... but basically he is saying Patrick come on we want you now and with the national title in the bag maybe he might be enticed in a bit earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

So Cork fought to the death in the semi final and then decided ah sure we won't go all out to win the final seems strange to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement