Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

No doubt about that. Cork will easily win next day. Nice to see ye win a national title should keep ye happy for another 50 years.

Can't believe somebody thanked this post,

Disappointed Corkman here residing in Waterford. Wateford were way the better team and the winning margin did not flatter them.

Looking forward to 5 weeks times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

God youre insufferable. Today is not about june. Today is about today. Hold your hands up and admit you were beaten by a better team. June will look after itself. A trophy was there to be won today and your lads fell badly short. Like it or lump it.
    I said it already congratulations and better team on the day one
    I knew ye would be the better team today as I said all week and as predicted said cork would fall sway in the second half

Look I could be patronising and say cork are huge underdogs and have no chance in June and yere all Ireland contenders
    But no I'm realistic

Yere team in progress and mcgrath be fair done well but challenge is has he got another plan for June
    I'd say the bookies probably have cork favourite in June still
    Waterford were hungrier today and it showed
    Enjoy your win

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

congratulations lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today , blows the theory of division 1-b as a step backwards , i think derrick mcgrath deserves great credit for what he has done so far , i know he has his critics on here but from what i have seen i cant fault him so far, this is a very good waterford team thats developing but todays result will now make the cork game twice as hard come munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Haters be hating.

What I liked about today was that we looked solid at the back for the first time in years. Te full back line stood up well and the half backs won some ball.

I still don't like the tactic of playing long balls into a one man full forward line but if you're not conceding stupid goals then you had a great chance to win. 2 leagues in under 10 years? That's great for hurling in waterford. My soccer mad 8 ur old has been out with the Hurley since we got home.

Hopefully the lads can build on this and use it as a marker for the championship.

Beating the likes of tipp and cork has to be a great boost of confidence.

Deise ABU!!

• Advertisement

Newson123 wrote: »
    It's comedy gold though. He's in meltdown already, imagine if we win in June.

How can I be when I predicted this and at half time said cork would fall away and I know fact I was right makes ye worried when I say cork way more in them as much ye won't admit it no doubt when the emotions die down two weeks before June game I'm sure view here will have mellowed a bit
    I will certainly congrats waterford if they win in June but I hope you do like wise for cork

I am geuinely all things aside glad shanahan had good game while Ryan was solid cork and am glad shanahan won a national title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Seems fashionable for some to tear down the Waterford Team acting like this was a meaningless game, only 3 trophies up for grabs every year and Waterford has won one of them, Fact is Waterford totally dominated the game from start to finish in every area of the field, people acting like we only won because Cork didn't play, no the Waterford team is full of quality players as good as the Cork team. In this league we have gone unbeaten, convincingly beat two division 1A teams in Cork and Galway and beaten many people's favorites for the All Ireland Tipp, At the start of the year most people would have said the best Waterford can do is hope to get promoted and maybe win a game or two in the qualifiers, it may only be May but like it or not Waterford are serious contenders for both Munster and the All Ireland something nobody would have said before the League, Watched the Sunday Game tonight and both Loghnan and Michael Kavanagh picked Waterford as the potential dark horse to win, I'm not saying we are favorites but the league showed we are still at the top table of hurling and if i were Cork i wouldn't fancy playing us again in 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Seems fashionable for some to tear down the Waterford Team acting like this was a meaningless game, only 3 trophies up for grabs every year and Waterford has won one of them, Fact is Waterford totally dominated the game from start to finish in every area of the field, people acting like we only won because Cork didn't play, no the Waterford team is full of quality players as good as the Cork team. In this league we have gone unbeaten, convincingly beat two division 1A teams in Cork and Galway and beaten many people's favorites for the All Ireland Tipp, At the start of the year most people would have said the best Waterford can do is hope to get promoted and maybe win a game or two in the qualifiers, it may only be May but like it or not Waterford are serious contenders for both Munster and the All Ireland something nobody would have said before the League, Watched the Sunday Game tonight and both Loghnan and Michael Kavanagh picked Waterford as the potential dark horse to win, I'm not saying we are favorites but the league showed we are still at the top table of hurling and if i were Cork i wouldn't fancy playing us again in 5 weeks.

Shhhhhhhh ! We're all thinking it but we're scared that if we come out and say it.....It might go Pear shaped........Up the DEISE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well done to Waterford. Coach deserves huge credit. I always knew a 1B team could demolish a 1A team on any given day. Cork are going nowhere under JBM, but Waterford will be a serious team for anyone. I'd be expecting a Tipp/Waterford Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

No doubt about that. Cork will easily win next day. Nice to see ye win a national title should keep ye happy for another 50 years.

Dunno about that , Cork are class A bottlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limerick man here. Fantastic win for ye lads. Some lads here will probably have seen my post on the Cork thread about the predictions league so for those who didn't know, I had to pick the winner between Cork and Waterford to win 500 for myself and 2500 for my club and i went with my gut and picked Waterford so I'm as happy as yourselves :P

Best of luck in the championship. Delighted for Maurice also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

What a great day. Given where we'd started this year I thought that today was a free play, but early in the second half we were getting ragged as the finishing line loomed and I realised it would be devastating not to close it out. The memories of 1998 are still vivid. Instead they stepped on the gas and simply left Cork behind. Yeah, I know Cork will be a different proposition in five weeks. With their vast resources we can reasonably expect them to conjure up something between now and then and we have to be ready for that. The memories of 1999 are still vivid. But today is about our biggest ever League win over them. Add in the Championship and we've only ever had one bigger victory, an 11-point win in - wait for it - 1938. What a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

How can I be when I predicted this and at half time said cork would fall away and I know fact I was right makes ye worried when I say cork way more in them as much ye won't admit it no doubt when the emotions die down two weeks before June game I'm sure view here will have mellowed a bit
    I will certainly congrats waterford if they win in June but I hope you do like wise for cork

I am geuinely all things aside glad shanahan had good game while Ryan was solid cork and am glad shanahan won a national title

You predicted it to let yourself down gently with the supposed inside knowledge you have of Cork's current training activity, which itself sounds like the antiquated hearsay that used to go around 20+ years ago. Any compliment you pay is done through gritted teeth and more often than not, accompanied by a qualifying statement along the lines of how things may have been different if, this, that or the other happened instead. In this case it didn't and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. It's not like Cork threw the game today so get the fcuk over it and move on.

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Dunno about that , Cork are class A bottlers

Maybe so but Waterford are hardly in position look down on cork when cork many times need was greatest beat Waterford big games down the years in majority so when waterford win all Ireland then they can talk

Don't be naive belive louganne he doesn't honestly think they will win all Ireland he's typical being cute ger as even waterford poster said cork thread but it's beautiful for clare as take hype off clare he will build up waterford as new pretenders probably Tuesday say new clare and better and course he know lot naivety in fans will belive him and all talk waterford when clare imo would beat Waterford no problem as their system is just as rigid but they have better hurlers

Kavanagh is imo newish to punditry and look he likes waterford so I'd expect the popular view but in fairness yere way off an all ireland as even most waterford fans don't belive ye win it this year

There's an old saying don't run before you can walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Waterford should have eased up in the 2nd half, con JBM into thinking he was up to something. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Watched the replay again there, jees Jamie Barron is a class act. Saw him playing corner back few years back minor, being honest didnt understand why people were raving about him.

Eating my words now, I think hes one of or most important players, class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Maybe so but Waterford are hardly in position look down on cork when cork many times need was greatest beat Waterford big games down the years in majority so when waterford win all Ireland then they can talk

Don't be naive belive louganne he doesn't honestly think they will win all Ireland he's typical being cute ger as even waterford poster said cork thread but it's beautiful for clare as take hype off clare he will build up waterford as new pretenders probably Tuesday say new clare and better and course he know lot naivety in fans will belive him and all talk waterford when clare imo would beat Waterford no problem as their system is just as rigid but they have better hurlers

Kavanagh is imo newish to punditry and look he likes waterford so I'd expect the popular view but in fairness yere way off an all ireland as even most waterford fans don't belive ye win it this year

As a Waterford man who's seen the **** hit the fan many times i 100% agree.
    Waterford were in many respects Naeive today and gave Cork too much respect in that they could have had Goals but took points instead. This is not an AI winning team by any means. I understand that the one up front method has done the job for us but now i'm hoping that Dereck will see we're ready to move on from that and score goals....Yes the dreaded G word .....it's that thing we seem to be scared of....we could have had plenty today with the belief in our abilities. In saying all this i went to the bookies today and put money on Waterford for the 2017 AI....I think it was 30/1 ....cant remember. They're a team that's on the up but that will be brought back to Earth at some stage BUT will come out of that stronger and better......Then again maybe they're so good that no one is capable of bringing them down a peg....Hopefully this is the case. Either way...I'ts exciting to be watching Waterford again and thats FN great in itself.......Well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare vs Waterford is a game I want to see. Clare are the inventors of this system so it would be s good test for Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Rightwing wrote: »
    Waterford should have eased up in the 2nd half, con JBM into thinking he was up to something. ;)

We did put on some subs and didn't unleash our special weapon yet. It was nice to get a win but we didn't want to show our hand today so we decided we would play Brick.

Brick has been a good player but he works in a bank so obviously we will win in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Lol 07 isn't 50 years ago.

• Advertisement

You predicted it to let yourself down gently with the supposed inside knowledge you have of Cork's current training activity, which itself sounds like the antiquated hearsay that used to go around 20+ years ago. Any compliment you pay is done through gritted teeth and more often than not, accompanied by a qualifying statement along the lines of how things may have been different if, this, that or the other happened instead. In this case it didn't and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. It's not like Cork threw the game today so get the fcuk over it and move on.
    No one be fair no one said waterford would beat cork by ten points so there was no reason for me let myself down gently
    The bookies had cork favourite and at best point or two in the game
    The easy win waterford had shows clearly championship be different
    At this stage I will say no more for now as we'll agree to disagree as we all won't agree in we have different views
    But don't think cork fear waterford yes there's respect there but cork imo are still the team waterford have to beat and we will leave June decide all

Cork didn't throw the game but didn't show any hunger or desire to push on in the second half and Waterford had loads of space and cork were way off touch and pace and energy wise imo compared to the level they can play at
    Also as said during the week cork had four injury worries for today

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

3rd league title in our history and inevitably a sour lemon like yourself comes along and can't possibly accept that this team has just completed a great achievement and delighted the fans. Nobody mentioning all-irelands or anything and yet still you have to come on and have a go. Amazed your even following this forum, given you told me a couple of months ago I have no business discussing hurling with a Kilkenny man as clearly I have some inferior knowledge due to our respective Counties of birth.

Shocking stuff really.

Excuse me but I thought ye actually had ambitions of winning the All Ireland rather than being just happy with what ye have got. No disrespect but ye really need to get out of that small fish mentality ye have over a league if ye want to get anywhere with this team. What annoys me is the fact that yere getting carried away over it thinking yere the "real deal" as someone mentioned earlier which was what I responded to. Its that attitude that Im basing my predictions on yer Championship credentials. Ya dont see us hanging from the rafters like monkeys when we win a league title. Its simply another match over and onto the next. And to be fair you were talking some load of brown over on the Kilkenny forum on our last encounter. It reaked of sour grapes

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

Jaysus, all of the bitters are in fine form tonite. Keep it up lads, you're only making it better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Miall108 wrote: »
    Excuse me but I thought ye actually had ambitions of winning the All Ireland rather than being just happy with what ye have got. No disrespect but ye really need to get out of that small fish mentality ye have over a league if ye want to get anywhere with this team. What annoys me is the fact that yere getting carried away over it thinking yere the "real deal" as someone mentioned earlier which was what I responded to. Its that attitude that Im basing my predictions on yer Championship credentials. Ya dont see us hanging from the rafters like monkeys when we win a league title. Its simply another match over and onto the next. And to be fair you were talking some load of brown over on the Kilkenny forum on our last encounter. It reaked of sour grapes

I think you’ll find the ‘real deal’ comment was tongue-in-cheek. Designed to wind the likes of you up. Relax boy.

Jaysus, all of the bitters are in fine form tonite. Keep it up lads, you're only making it better :D

LOL Bitter over a league title. Thats a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Shur according to TTM, the happiest man coming out of Semple today was JBM. All went exactly according to plan………

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Looking I said this all week and half time
    And it went exactly as I thought
    Never said ye don't have a hope in fact this is great for ye and mcgrath deserves credit yes but there is a big difference to beat cork who clear as day were lethargic with no hunger and I said this would happen as I know exactly what cork training was like the last two week

Yes talk was cork wanted it but look June will see a different cork
    If ye can improve more fair enough but have no doubt cork have a score to settle in June and that's one they wanted
    Ye won the battle but it's the war cork want
    Cork have lost way too many finals to be picking and choosing the games to win, might get a shock when wford bring it up a level in June again, they are the real deal I think and cork may have to rebuild again

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

Miall108 wrote: »
    LOL Bitter over a league title. Thats a good one

Ah come on. If you're going to cry more, then make it more entertaining than that. The TTM guy is miles ahead.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Cork have lost way too many finals to be picking and choosing the games to win, might get a shock when wford bring it up a level in June again, they are the real deal I think

Again complacency creeping in as always. Ye won a battle but ye didnt win the war

• Advertisement

Ah come on. If you're going to cry more, then make it more entertaining than that. The TTM guy is miles ahead.

Yeh its so gutting to not to win a league title. Its far more sickening facing up to a Championship campaign with Liam McCarthy currently in our possession and even worse we only have 5 current All Stars in the team. Would much rather 1 League Title and then fade away for 5 more years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement