Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Would you need to buy a ticket in advance or will you be able to pay at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Based on previous league finals woud say you will have no problem buy a ticket at teh stiles but you can save yourself a fiver by buying over 24 hours in advance at Centra or Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

blueflame wrote: »
    Based on previous league finals woud say you will have no problem buy a ticket at teh stiles but you can save yourself a fiver by buying over 24 hours in advance at Centra or Supervalu.

Cheers Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

archieknox wrote: »
    Mayweather/pacman-draw and Waterford/Cork draw worth a punt?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

archieknox wrote: »
    Mayweather/pacman-draw and Waterford/Cork draw worth a punt?
    Mayweather win on points, Waterford win also. You'll be the richest man in Creation Sunday night !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

Howdy folks, I am going to be buying tickets in the Supervalue but will be buying up in Cork.

Are there 2 terraces open? Can you sit anywhere you wish on the day?

Cos I don't want to buy a ticket and have to sit with a load of langers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

dzilla wrote: »
    Howdy folks, I am going to be buying tickets in the Supervalue but will be buying up in Cork.

Are there 2 terraces open? Can you sit anywhere you wish on the day?

Cos I don't want to buy a ticket and have to sit with a load of langers.

It's general admission, they're only selling stand tickets on tickets.ie so it'll be the same in super valu. I'd imagine at least one of the terraces will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford play Laois in the final of Division 2 of the National Camogie League in Carlow on Saturday next at 2.30 pm. It's hardly a neutral venue as Carlow is located on the Laois border and a large part of the town is actually in Laois. I'm not sure if the winners get automatic promotion to Division 1.

On Saturday week (May 9) the Waterford ladies footballers play Sligo in the final of Division 3 of the league in Parnell Park at 12.15. It is the first part of a triple bill along with the finals of Division 1 and 2. Waterford had a big win (4-14 to 0-9) over Roscommon in the semi-final last weekend.

Great to have three adult teams from the county playing in national league finals over the next two weekends. We wish them all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Mayweather win on points, Waterford win also. You'll be the richest man in Creation Sunday night !

Haha well if Waterford win Il hardly make it that far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Woo off work now sunday. Roll on the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

What stand is the cup presented? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

pluszap wrote: »
    What stand is the cup presented? Thanks

Old stand (ui riran)
    Sure that's where Waterford will be collecting it Sunday evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

Thanks looking forward to it::pac:

Old stand (ui riran)
    Sure that's where Waterford will be collecting it Sunday evening :D

That's the new stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That's the new stand

You are correct come to think on it

Though only in Ireland could you call it the new old stand and have people understand what your saying :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

You are correct come to think on it

Though only in Ireland could you call it the new old stand and have people understand what your saying :pac:

The new stand used to be the old stand. And the new old stand used to be the new stand up until a few years ago. Bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I've given up trying to remember which stand is which. Been there countless times, but will never ever remember which stand is which.

Speaking of Thurles, what is the story with the venue next week for the minor game being in Thurles. Why is it neutral? Is there not a home and away arrangement between Waterford and Limerick? We had to play them in Munster final Limerick in 2013. Given the 3 games since were Munster final/replays at neutral venues, but surely this one should have been home advantage for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Speaking of Thurles, what is the story with the venue next week for the minor game being in Thurles. Why is it neutral? Is there not a home and away arrangement between Waterford and Limerick? We had to play them in Munster final Limerick in 2013. Given the 3 games since were Munster final/replays at neutral venues, but surely this one should have been home advantage for us.

As far as i know the minor game was fixed for Limerick originally because Limerick were not counting the Munster final as a home fixture!?! but Waterford kicked up and said that was ridiculous (paraphrasing) and wanted the game in Walsh park. As neither could agree its on in Thurlas. No doubt it should be in Waterford but the same argument is going to crop up the next time we meet. You'd have to laugh at the stupidity of it all except we're getting screwed.

As far as i know the minor game was fixed for Limerick originally because Limerick were not counting the Munster final as a home fixture!?! but Waterford kicked up and said that was ridiculous (paraphrasing) and wanted the game in Walsh park. As neither could agree its on in Thurlas. No doubt it should be in Waterford but the same argument is going to crop up the next time we meet. You'd have to laugh at the stupidity of it all except we're getting screwed.

Common sense seriously lacking. Why couldnt the Munster council just have called that 2013 final a home draw for Limerick? Not like they were at a disadvantage with 30,000 fans there to cheer them on as opposed to a couple hundred from Waterford. To add insult to injury Limerick got the replay at a neutral venue aswell. As a result they have a right mess made of this fixture agreement. Waterford co. board were 100% right not to agree to play this game in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

"Barry-Murphy claims not to have seen Waterford’s defensive system in action, but acknowledges the most effective manner to learn of its idiosyncrasies ahead of June 7 is to face it head on" - Quote from The Examiner.

I have alot of time for JBM and i would say that we have a better chance of beating Cork this Sunday than on June 7th when he'll have learn't alot from the league final. Not to say that we can't win both especially if we win on Sunday, which would be a huge confidence boost especially to the younger players.
    Alot of people from outside Waterford and maybe some inside, believe we are hyping up this team to something their not........guess we'll find out Sunday.

I'd love to see Mcgrath go with 3 in the full forward line. Look how Dublin played it, they absolutely annihilated Cork in the first 40 mins, if they had a decent free taker...(which we have) they could have been Home and clear.If we need to play the sweeper for the last 20 mins, so be it. I just think we could do so much damage to that Cork full back line with Shanahan Bennett and Dunford. Would he be cute enough?

Barry Murphy claims not to have seen Waterfords system in action? So they all went home there last Sunday? Be fairly shocking if he hasn't like.

On the minor game, it was a stupid middle ground to reach because there is going to be a row next year over who gets home advantage. It would be far worse for us to have a neutral game this year and be away next year. By the same token, Limerick will be unhappy if they have to go two years without home advantage. Nobody wins with a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think cork might hold back just a little bit Sunday or else jbm is playing games. June 7th is way more important to them than league final is but they have not won one since 1998 and since then they have won all Ireland's and munsters.

On the other hand they mite have caught on to our system and will destroy us . Hopefully the nerves won't get to our lads sunday. I just wish we were playing Dublin

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think cork might hold back just a little bit Sunday or else jbm is playing games. June 7th is way more important to them than league final is but they have not won one since 1998 and since then they have won all Ireland's and munsters.

On the other hand they mite have caught on to our system and will destroy us . Hopefully the nerves won't get to our lads sunday. I just wish we were playing Dublin

So they might hold back and let us win, or come out and destroy us.
    Maybe if we ask nicely, they'll leave us win.. ?
    Come off it, it will be a great match and both teams will be going for it. If we play good ball into forwards we will do well, and be aware of the way Cork played in 2nd half v Dublin. Half back line will be crucial v Lehane and Harnedy, big test for them

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Anyone who is in doubt what this means to the Cork management and players should look back at their reaction to the final whistle against Dublin. JBM is well aware of the Waterford system, he very nearly got caught last year in the first game and he will have learned his lesson, but he is not going to say "we're prepared for it"

Cork will be all out to win, as will Waterford. There is no substitute for winning, the side beaten on Sunday will carry doubts into the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »

Cork haven't won anything since the Munster final in 06 and haven't won a league since 98. Essentially, the current team has won nothing. I can guarantee you they'll be going all out to win it. It's a nice excuse to say "its only the league" if you lose. At least McGrath has come out and said that we are going all out for it and JBM should admit the same. The notion that it's all about the championnship doesn't wash with the current Cork set up in my opinion. The type of fear other teams used to have going into a Cork game is long gone now. They are a very good team that deserves to be respected but are nothing more or nothing less.

Edit: Munster last year to be fair (had Limerick for the double in my head for some reason). Still not a dominant force like a Cork of old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

redlead wrote: »
    Cork haven't won anything since the Munster final in 06 and haven't won a league since 98. Essentially, the current team has won nothing. I can guarantee you they'll be going all out to win it. It's a nice excuse to say "its only the league" if you lose. At least McGrath has come out and said that we are going all out for it and JBM should admit the same. The notion that it's all about the championnship doesn't wash with the current Cork set up in my opinion. The type of fear other teams used to have going into a Cork game is long gone now. They are a very good team that deserves to be respected but are nothing more or nothing less.

Havn't won anything except for the Munster final in 2014......

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

redlead wrote: »

We did win Munster last year, to be fair. But the rest of the post is very fair I would say. With injuries and the likes we have guys playing for spots in the summer so I can't see us holding too much back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Havn't won anything except for the Munster final in 2014......

touché

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement