Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

redlead wrote: »
    touché

I don't think he was to be fair, you stated something as a fact which was cork won munster no munster since 06, so all he done was make it known your point was wrong which he was right to do imo as cork won munster last year we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I don't think he was to be fair, you stated something as a fact which was cork won munster no munster since 06, so all he done was make it known your point was wrong which he was right to do imo as cork won munster last year we all know.

I think your getting touché mixed up with touchy

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

blueflame wrote:
    Anyone who is in doubt what this means to the Cork management and players should look back at their reaction to the final whistle against Dublin.

No doubt Cork will want to win on Sunday. But while I think Cork and JBMs reaction to beating Dublin had a lot to do with the exciting manner of the win it was more to do with JBM putting one over on his old teammate, club colleague and dare I say friend, Ger Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

If cork loose it will be because their focus is on the championship, if they win cork will be hyped up to win the all-Ireland this year. If Waterford win they peaked too early and if the lose it was just a step too far for this promising young team.... Just predicting the headlines on Monday morning.... Hoping for a win but at the very least a super game to match the ones before them. Two wins over Cork in a few weeks will be difficult ...but why not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I give Waterford a fair chance to win this...I think there every bit as good (if not better) man for as cork

Ive seen no one give Waterford enough credit for turning over tipp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I will be outlining on my blog tomorrow as to why I think Waterford will win .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cahalane dropped for Cork, Aidan Ryan in

TGV wrote: »
    If cork loose it will be because their focus is on the championship, if they win cork will be hyped up to win the all-Ireland this year. If Waterford win they peaked too early and if the lose it was just a step too far for this promising young team.... Just predicting the headlines on Monday morning.... Hoping for a win but at the very least a super game to match the ones before them. Two wins over Cork in a few weeks will be difficult ...but why not :)
    No other may your right media but geuine cork fans won't like some counties run before they walk

Were far from serious contenders KK yet

Fact is cork by team picked are set up particular system and said this earlier before team announced I feeling what I heard cork will want win but won't go all our and look team selection and Nash huge doubt I geuinely think Waterford may win as cork wanted win v Dublin bit nevertheless knew waterford next so changed the scene a bit

Cork main interested as seen is sort full back why Ryan starts and Paudie doesn't at full forward as cork are holding back a bit

As league huge win it's more important win munster and get all Ireland quatre final and cork have bigger teams worry bout down line

Huge chance for Waterford best chance win national title and ye I think we'll but munster different kettle of fish entirely

Ye will at best beat cork once no way ye beat cork twice
    Enjoy Sunday I think ye will win

I have read it very good and you do absolutely brilliance match reports I must add

Keep it up
    I think ye will win Sunday and that's not yerra talk but geuine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

No other may your right media but geuine cork fans won't like some counties run before they walk

Were far from serious contenders KK yet

Fact is cork by team picked are set up particular system and said this earlier before team announced I feeling what I heard cork will want win but won't go all our and look team selection and Nash huge doubt I geuinely think Waterford may win as cork wanted win v Dublin bit nevertheless knew waterford next so changed the scene a bit

Cork main interested as seen is sort full back why Ryan starts and Paudie doesn't at full forward as cork are holding back a bit

As league huge win it's more important win munster and get all Ireland quatre final and cork have bigger teams worry bout down line

Huge chance for Waterford best chance win national title and ye I think we'll but munster different kettle of fish entirely

Ye will at best beat cork once no way ye beat cork twice
    Enjoy Sunday I think ye will win

Well Id just like to say in advance thanks for agreeing to show up on Sunday. It must be such an inconvenience to have to show up and play this Mickey Mouse final thats only there to give the bridesmaids such as ourselves a day in the sun to feel good about ourselves. And thanks to JBM for not going 'all out', and for experimenting at full back, and especially for not starting the great Paudie O'Sullivan. God this is a once in a lifetime chance for us. Thank god for the 'bigger teams' who will appear later in the summer, if ye didn't have those to concentrate on wed be lambs to the slaughter on Sunday.

You just make sure you keep getting your excuses in early in case it goes pear-shaped for ye on Sunday....

• Advertisement

Well Id just like to say in advance thanks for agreeing to show up on Sunday. It must be such an inconvenience to have to show up and play this Mickey Mouse final thats only there to give the bridesmaids such as ourselves a day in the sun to feel good about ourselves. And thanks to JBM for not going 'all out', and for experimenting at full back, and especially for not starting the great Paudie O'Sullivan. God this is a once in a lifetime chance for us. Thank god for the 'bigger teams' who will appear later in the summer, if ye didn't have those to concentrate on wed be lambs to the slaughter on Sunday.

Sure its a win-win for yourself. Lose on Sunday well youve already told us why, and win yeve manage to topple us even while trying to show us some mercy.
    Look im calling it as it is as I see it

Feel free to have a different opinions
    That is now way cork strongest team and you are not partial to what goes on cork hurling
    Cork want win but what I heard and it's make sense cork main eye in June that simple
    No need to take offence as not disrespectful waterford in if cork playing any other team twice in month course be shadow boxing
    Don't be naive to think cork are not holding back
    Team picked said it all and if true I expect another change from line up on throw in for the cork team
    Nash is named but is huge doubt for Sunday as it's not yerra talk geuinely been sick all week
    So starting new full back and goalie you would have say waterford win even two man full forward line

Excuses no excuse at all but look cork main aim is munster championship and were year four plan so winning league title loose munster no good cork hurling
    You are right good chance for Waterford and should be good game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Link please, cheers!

That is now way cork strongest team and you are not partial to what goes on cork hurling
    Cork want win but what I heard and it's make sense cork main eye in June that simple
    No need to take offence as not disrespectful waterford in if cork playing any other team twice in month course be shadow boxing
    Team picked said it all and if true I expect another change from line up on throw in for the cork team
    Nash is named but is huge doubt for Sunday as it's not yerra talk geuinely been sick all week
    So starting new full back and goalie you would have say waterford win even two man full forward line

Excuses no excuse at all but look cork main aim is munster championship and were year four plan so winning league title loose munster no good cork hurling

And you think Waterford are not thinking about the championship at all? I have never seen a JBM side ‘hold back’ in any match and it wont happen Sunday either regardless of your ridiculous claims. Call it shadow boxing call it whatever you want silverware is there to be won, 5 weeks time will look after itself. This game will be well forgotten by then. Of course neither side will be at full championship pelt but it will be as close to championship form you will get. Look at the intensity of the last 2 KK V Tipp league finals. If you are showing up badly in a league final then it is a cause for big concern. Whatever you say about Cork being experimental and not at full strength and I do not claim to be ‘partial’ to what goes on in Cork hurling but I do know the reason the full back switch was made is because the lad who was there was getting a roasting plain and simple. You do not need to be too ‘in the know’ to figure that out

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Ya i'm not buying it. You said and i quote, "now way cork strongest team" and "Team picked said it all". Can you enlighten us and tell us the sweeping changes you would make if this was championship. You obviously know Cork hurling better than me but i can only think of Paudi O Sullivan and maybe Luke O Farrell that might strenghten the Cork team to any degree.
    The two main additions are Bill Cooper and Aidan Ryan. I think JBM had no choice but to drop Cahalane in fact he should have done it earlier in the league. I'd prefer if he stuck with Cahalane as his confidence must be shot at this stage. As regards Bill Cooper, he had a fine game last year against Waterford and i think his strength on the ball could win him alot of frees.
    As i see it Cork have named their regular keeper, 5 of your first choice backs, two first choice midfielders and 5 of your best forwards. Yet you claim this is "no way corks strongest team".

My other point is that you seem to think that Cork are unable to win both the league final and the championship match ("winning league title loose munster no good cork hurling"). Are Cork not good enough to beat a division 2 team twice? If i was JBM the last thing i would do is hand the initiative and confidence to a young team like Waterford. Would Cody do it, i don't think so. He may not show his full hand but that's alot different than putting out a weakened team. At the end of the day and i know this may be hard for you to imagine, but say Waterford win both games then what will Cork people think of the "shadow boxing" that is apparently going on this Sunday. Winning league titles had no adverse effect on Kilkenny. Talk of shadow boxing and not playing your best team is a cop out IMO.

Ya i'm not buying it. You said and i quote, "now way cork strongest team" and "Team picked said it all". Can you enlighten us and tell us the sweeping changes you would make if this was championship. You obviously know Cork hurling better than me but i can only think of Paudi O Sullivan and maybe Luke O Farrell that might strenghten the Cork team to any degree.
    The two main additions are Bill Cooper and Aidan Ryan. I think JBM had no choice but to drop Cahalane in fact he should have done it earlier in the league. I'd prefer if he stuck with Cahalane as his confidence must be shot at this stage. As regards Bill Cooper, he had a fine game last year against Waterford and i think his strength on the ball could win him alot of frees.
    As i see it Cork have named their regular keeper, 5 of your first choice backs, two first choice midfielders and 5 of your best forwards. Yet you claim this is "no way corks strongest team".

My other point is that you seem to think that Cork are unable to win both the league final and the championship match ("winning league title loose munster no good cork hurling"). Are Cork not good enough to beat a division 2 team twice? If i was JBM the last thing i would do is hand the initiative and confidence to a young team like Waterford. Would Cody do it, i don't think so. He may not show his full hand but that's alot different than putting out a weakened team. At the end of the day and i know this may be hard for you to imagine, but say Waterford win both games then what will Cork people think of the "shadow boxing" that is apparently going on this Sunday. Winning league titles had no adverse effect on Kilkenny. Talk of shadow boxing and not playing your best team is a cop out IMO.

Look its time we stopped playing into TTM hands. This guy comes on here for one reason and one reason only, to discuss Cork. This is a WATERFORD thread. Im sickin of coming on here reading about Cork. It always starts off the same, a few slightly belittle comments about Waterford, knowing he will get a reaction about Cork and off we go again. I’m guessing over on the Cork thread no one will argue with his points so theres no fun for him there.

I for one don’t care about Cork I don’t care what players are/not playing or whether they are ‘holding back’ or not. Let them say and think what they want. Hope we can do the business on Sunday and if Cork claim to be going full or half tilt well good luck to them. Not our issue

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

It's getting nearer the time and as it does i am getting alot more confident having seen the Cork team. Alot could depend on the performance of Maurice and i believe he's back to his brilliant best and can be the match winner on Sunday. Having seen him up close you can see he has worked hard on his physical condition and he seems to have filled into the same type frame as Dan.

And you think Waterford are not thinking about the championship at all? I have never seen a JBM side ‘hold back’ in any match and it wont happen Sunday either regardless of your ridiculous claims. Call it shadow boxing call it whatever you want silverware is there to be won, 5 weeks time will look after itself. This game will be well forgotten by then. Of course neither side will be at full championship pelt but it will be as close to championship form you will get. Look at the intensity of the last 2 KK V Tipp league finals. If you are showing up badly in a league final then it is a cause for big concern. Whatever you say about Cork being experimental and not at full strength and I do not claim to be ‘partial’ to what goes on in Cork hurling but I do know the reason the full back switch was made is because the lad who was there was getting a roasting plain and simple. You do not need to be too ‘in the know’ to figure that out

Just at look at the cork team

I predicted yesterday afternoon cork wouldn't be strongest
    I know it offends you that I'm right as you know I know cork hurling inside our and upside down
    Geuinely not the case
    Your forgetting this ist time cork under jbm playing team twice in month
    Cork want win but are not showing full hand performance will do with full back sorted as cork under landers doing specific power training for June and while of tipp were final cork would want win cork can't show full hand

Munster will reveal all
    But look you're entitled to your opinion I respect it but I disagree

Cahalane I'd actually struggling with injury and Ryan is seen as answer for June needs game
    Point is if cork wanted to win Sunday totally wouldn't take chance him debut full but played Ellis or cahalane even in despite struggled injury cahalane would still limit waterford full forward line
    Cork had choice win and win with flaws full back or try solve full get performance
    Enjoy Sunday ye will I have no doubt and I'll be the ist to congratulate you Sunday here
    Ryan getting game time as even cahalane fit June cork need cover and have no cover for Sunday

Look at offaly Longford last week
    Longford won early league game and knew beat offaly again final last week awful place play offaly who huge hunger will not loose three times

Longford even Longford knew no point showing full hand and no hunger or intensity but there hammered means they now look forward championship game next month between same teams

Cork have same attuide they will say let waterford show was they got think mcgrath all out win so cork will use this as a transition game in a sense

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

archieknox wrote: »
    It's getting nearer the time and as it does i am getting alot more confident having seen the Cork team. Alot could depend on the performance of Maurice and i believe he's back to his brilliant best and can be the match winner on Sunday. Having seen him up close you can see he has worked hard on his physical condition and he seems to have filled into the same type frame as Dan.

Now they just have to keep him out on the wing and not leave him in full forward for half the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If Cahalane not starting is Cork holding back for June than I am confident we will win both games.

Paudie O Sullivan should be starting but Barry Murphy hasn't started him yet since he came back. Luke O Farrell is windy, a good hurler but not reliable. He did nothing to keep his place last weekend. Outside of that Cork, are starting Ellis and Murphy who would be regarded in Cork as an improvement on what they had in the semi final (namely William Kearney and Aidan Walsh playing center back where he was really uncomfortable).

If Cahalane not starting is Cork holding back for June than I am confident we will win both games.

Paudie O Sullivan should be starting but Barry Murphy hasn't started him yet since he came back. Luke O Farrell is windy, a good hurler but not reliable. He did nothing to keep his place last weekend. Outside of that Cork, are starting Ellis and Murphy who would be regarded in Cork as an improvement on what they had in the semi final (namely William Kearney and Aidan Walsh playing center back where he was really uncomfortable).

Farell is not starting at all what are you on about?

Cooper o shea harnedy
    Cadogan lehane horgan

Luke not starting at all

Both Murphy and Ellis I agree but huge doubts regards fitness and only playing as need game time last game before June imo

• Advertisement

Farell is not starting at all what are you on about?

Cooper o shea harnedy
    Cadogan lehane horgan

Luke not starting at all

Both Murphy and Ellis I agree but huge doubts regards fitness and only playing as need game time last game before June imo

That's my point, hardly holding anything back by leaving him off. I'm just struggling to make sense of how Cork are holding back anything.

Darragh Fives is back in full training, one of the best hurlers in Waterford, but I wouldn't say we are holding anything back by not starting him. A player has no business starting if they are struggling with injury. Same goes for Cahalane, especially considering his form is poor.

By the same token that Cork are holding something back by not risking an injured player, they are also looking towards June by starting two players you believe have fitness concerns? They can't have it every way.

Look its time we stopped playing into TTM hands. This guy comes on here for one reason and one reason only, to discuss Cork. This is a WATERFORD thread. Im sickin of coming on here reading about Cork. It always starts off the same, a few slightly belittle comments about Waterford, knowing he will get a reaction about Cork and off we go again. I’m guessing over on the Cork thread no one will argue with his points so theres no fun for him there.

I for one don’t care about Cork I don’t care what players are/not playing or whether they are ‘holding back’ or not. Let them say and think what they want. Hope we can do the business on Sunday and if Cork claim to be going full or half tilt well good luck to them. Not our issue
    I discuss cork cause cork playing Waterford twice so hards not discuss cork to be fair

In two years I posted being regular poster here

Fair enough you don't like my opinion you don't have to agree but have respect surely not to try and say oh I'm not entitled to one just cause you don't like what's be said fair enough but doesn't mean someone can't give an opinion

There's be load opinion here from many regards cork yet no one tells ye stop mention cork
    You don't agree with my opinion fair enough but I'm entitled to debate them
    I am not in anyway taking from waterford but based on Ellis Murphy still struggling injury new full back strong likely hood Nash won't play I'd expect waterford to win and I think there hunger is greater and as tipp game proved fought til the end and they will win

Nothing more or less
    If I said cork win I'd be accused arrogance cork man
    You can't win
    I'm calling this game on what I see before me and cork have lot of injury key players for this game
    And not just me but was even mentioned cork paper Nash is a doubt huge doubt so as good Collins is huge ask make start in final with only few games behind him and new full back there also

That's my point, hardly holding anything back by leaving him off. I'm just struggling to make sense of how Cork are holding back anything.

Darragh Fives is back in full training, one of the best hurlers in Waterford, but I wouldn't say we are holding anything back by not starting him. A player has no business starting if they are struggling with injury. Same goes for Cahalane, especially considering his form is poor.

By the same token that Cork are holding something back by not risking an injured player, they are also looking towards June by starting two players you believe have fitness concerns? They can't have it every way.
    Cork team starts Sunday won't start championship and cork have least four with injury so imo will not be full pelt
    Lehane won't play roaming role championship but tried out for Sunday
    There's a bit shadow boxing no doubt from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If Cork beat us out the gate on Sunday, could we still see a rake of changes to the team that would line out in the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We will probley announce a dummy team excluding Stephen Bennett and he will somehow manage to start Sunday

I wonder could Stephen Daniels get a start.

Won't make the stadium til 3pm Sunday so probably all the good seats will be taken up by cork supporters watching the camoige

deiseach wrote: »
    If Cork beat us out the gate on Sunday, could we still see a rake of changes to the team that would line out in the Championship?

Won't happen not the way waterford set up or problems we have for Sunday
    If it did yes you would see changes imo to certain positions and team I will discuss in detail closer to June

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think the county shc is starting this weekend It's tallow vs ballyduff upper so I'd imagine they have no players on the Waterford Panel. There's a full line up of fixtures on the next 2 weekend following the league final.

Hopefully the Waterford hurlers will be having a few celebratory drinks come Sunday night dare I say it the match will end in a draw after extra time lol

I know trying to organise a senior hurling championship isn't easy and I've complained enough about the county boards treatment of club players in the past but asking Inter county players to play senior club a week after a national league final is not right. Also the minors will have to play Senior club 2/3 days after the Limerick game. The way the county board treat the club championship it's no wonder people think that there are club games this weekend. I'm all for promoting the great achievement of reaching the league final but more has to be done to promote our club game. There will be thousands of people heading to Thurles this Sunday yet when people have the chance to watch these same players play for their club on their own doorstep at a fraction of the price attendances will be dismal just like last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Nah, not buying it. I can accept the idea that Cork are taking a flyer on a few players of whom they are uncertain, safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't be the end of the world were they to come up short in a League final. But the idea that Cork are sending out players who have no hope of playing against Waterford in June no matter how well they do against Waterford in May . . . nah, not buying it.

TTM did you not yourself say Cork need to play a sweeper? That they are too open? Would it not be a reaction to the massive concessions they have made since the ground dried up v both Tipp and Dublin?

If it works on Sunday, why would they revert to an orthodox style?

• Advertisement

TTM did you not yourself say Cork need to play a sweeper? That they are too open? Would it not be a reaction to the massive concessions they have made since the ground dried up v both Tipp and Dublin?

If it works on Sunday, why would they revert to an orthodox style?
    Absolutely one hundred per cent and they will play sweeper buy lehane isn't suited to the roaming role when imp I thought before he would be but better at ten someone doing it

Irish times interview today imo showed my train though
    Shane aherne very good waterford coach said in ninety eight cork were bullied by clare in munster and cork should have not showed full hand when he's right cork destroyed clsre league and louganne said many times after no interest in that cork game as four weeks later cork he play twice yet two days after rte remember he telling all willing be so naive believe him he want to win v Cork and cork felt miles ahead then all Ireland champions

Cork imo haven't won all Ireland but are like that clare team there nothing gained showing full hand and intensity won't be full belt and as proved ist drawn game if so last year munster waterford will be tough but bottom line is cork year four need all Ireland

Waterford are cork in a sense ninety eight in have manager trying prove himself and they need win in they won't be all Ireland contenders this year
    There still a team in development
    Cork yes in way need league as lost two many finals however loosing waterford won't be like loosing KK tipp in cork won't self doubt imo as history shows cork can normally good record v Waterford

As I said Longford no interest v offaly last week as knew wouldn't beat them twice
    Cork are now where near KK in can go out beat same team twice month on full intensity so imo cork will be holding bit reserve
    That's my view on it as we're obviously going to disagree this thread so fair enough I agree to disagree
    But to say on cork thread every cork fan expect cork win Sunday which you said imo is not true and know plenty cork fans think Waterford will win Sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement