Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Thought he'd been good up to the last day but wasn't convinced by him to be honest. There's competition there for places now which is good to see.

Mountainlad in fairness to you, your probably the most respected poster on here, you give your honest opinion and you are quite open to other posters views and show no ignorance towards disagreement, so tonight we'll agree to disagree hehe but hey lads isn't it a great position to be in now with such a strong panel that we can talk about not starting the dillons, Bennetts,Hallorans the bench we have is unbelievable in terms of potential. The glory days in 98-08 i always felt we only really had 12-14 good players always felt we were carrying 1 or 2 more but that's not the case now. If we were all to pick our personal opinion of a starting 15 from all players incl. Injured we'd have least 10 different teams that can only be a positive thing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Mountainlad in fairness to you, your probably the most respected poster on here, you give your honest opinion and you are quite open to other posters views and show no ignorance towards disagreement, so tonight we'll agree to disagree hehe but hey lads isn't it a great position to be in now with such a strong panel that we can talk about not starting the dillons, Bennetts,Hallorans the bench we have is unbelievable in terms of potential. The glory days in 98-08 i always felt we only really had 12-14 good players always felt we were carrying 1 or 2 more but that's not the case now. If we were all to pick our personal opinion of a starting 15 from all players incl. Injured we'd have least 10 different teams that can only be a positive thing for me
    I think most of us would have

Sok
    Shane Fives, Barry C, Noelie
    Tadhg, Philip.....Aussie/Darragh Fives
    Jamie Barron and Moran
    Maurice, Paudie and Brick..............................(no arguing with this so far?)

Full Forward line is up for debate
    Stephen Bennett (if 100%), Aussie/Jake Dillon/Shane Bennett/Brian O'Halloran/Colin Dunford

I'd go for Steve Bennett, Aussie Gleeson and Colin Dunford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Reading a few previews there of the game, always get a bit frustrated reading them to be honest. I suppose it gets a bit annoying being told your team is going to lose all the time (no matter how many times they end up winning!!).

But I swear if I hear "bonus territory" again...lazy analysis is the dominant form in the GAA.

Reading a few previews there of the game, always get a bit frustrated reading them to be honest. I suppose it gets a bit annoying being told your team is going to lose all the time (no matter how many times they end up winning!!).

But I swear if I hear "bonus territory" again...lazy analysis is the dominant form in the GAA.
    The preview on seo sport was good, did you see it?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    The preview on seo sport was good, did you see it?

Nah those boys are usually good to be fair to them. Who was on, Gizzy, SBB and Allen? In fact, most things TG4 do sportswise are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I discuss cork cause cork playing Waterford twice so hards not discuss cork to be fair

In two years I posted being regular poster here

Fair enough you don't like my opinion you don't have to agree but have respect surely not to try and say oh I'm not entitled to one just cause you don't like what's be said fair enough but doesn't mean someone can't give an opinion

There's be load opinion here from many regards cork yet no one tells ye stop mention cork
    You don't agree with my opinion fair enough but I'm entitled to debate them
    I am not in anyway taking from waterford but based on Ellis Murphy still struggling injury new full back strong likely hood Nash won't play I'd expect waterford to win and I think there hunger is greater and as tipp game proved fought til the end and they will win

Nothing more or less
    If I said cork win I'd be accused arrogance cork man
    You can't win
    I'm calling this game on what I see before me and cork have lot of injury key players for this game
    And not just me but was even mentioned cork paper Nash is a doubt huge doubt so as good Collins is huge ask make start in final with only few games behind him and new full back there also

To be honest TTM, you're obviously passionate about the GAA given that you are posting so much in this thread and other parts of the GAA forum, but I think it's a shame that you bang out say 1500 words of what could be a great analysis of a game but spoil it by not spending 2 minutes just to edit your post so that it reads correctly. Too often its stream of consciousness gibberish that I personally find unreadable.
    You would be a bit more welcome here if you took a bit more care when setting out your points. Just my tuppence worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

I think it's great that posters like TTM are coming on to the thread to give their tuppence worth... Obviously knows what he is talking about from schools level to inter county, goes to a lot of games, more than a welcome addition...
    Good to have people from different counties commenting... Not ball hopping or trolling just sensible hurling discussions. I miss that from sites like AnFearrua

Nah those boys are usually good to be fair to them. Who was on, Gizzy, SBB and Allen? In fact, most things TG4 do sportswise are good.
    Donal O'Grady, SBB and Diarmuid Lyng! Was good now in fairness, you'll get it on tg4 player. Pauric Mahony was interviewed about his team mates, Gavin O'Brien biggest poser haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

What's ryan like as a defender? Strengths, etc

Played half forward for midelton county win two years ago and captain and made cork club team year

Strong under high ball can hurl both sides and has good presence and physical
    Twenty nine and six foot three
    Was cork under twenty one team munster championship winners eight years ago and half back and played minor senior cork under strike and two games Denis Walsh

Went Australia bit

He's good reader and weaknesses imo lacks bit pace so man may get few points but once cork don't conceded goals wouldn't bother me
    He stands tall rarely allows man clear goal chances

Huge test Sunday considered only played Laois challenge centre and full v KK but dome well last week
    Was back playing center back midelton league this year as jerry Wallis brought him out forwards brought peter dowling back to full back and put half back Jamie nagle half forward

Huge test Sunday so well know more then but worth try and it's risky but no more than o Neill or Mcdonnell

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

A link to Crottys Lake preview of match. A good read.
    h**ps://fourmileracing.wordpress.com/
    replace** with tt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

replace** with tt
    Can somebody with user priviliges put up proper link.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cascade12 wrote: »
    replace** with tt
    Can somebody with user priviliges put up proper link.

Its not a bad read so link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't think the team will deviate much from that named tbh, mainly just positional switches here and there. I think we would all have been surprised if Fives and/or Daniels started, not saying they couldn't but I reckon we'll see them at some stage on Sunday. Two very nice options to come off the bench.
    Can't wait for Sunday now, nerves building already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

What's ryan like as a defender? Strengths, etc

Tough as Teak like his father Liam who played Football for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Cake Man wrote: »
    Don't think the team will deviate much from that named tbh, mainly just positional switches here and there. I think we would all have been surprised if Fives and/or Daniels started, not saying they couldn't but I reckon we'll see them at some stage on Sunday. Two very nice options to come off the bench.
    Can't wait for Sunday now, nerves building already!

You have some hope of seeing Daniels but I would imagine we won't see Fives. He hasn't been involved for a longtime so I can't imagine they'll throw him into the thick of it with no games under his belt.
    How do people think Barron will do on Harnedy if as expected he picks him up when De Burca drops deeper? The closer it gets the more confident im getting because I think McGrath will have a game plan to get at that fullback line where Dunford especially can go to town on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

archieknox wrote: »
    You have some hope of seeing Daniels but I would imagine we won't see Fives. He hasn't been involved for a longtime so I can't imagine they'll throw him into the thick of it with no games under his belt.
    How do people think Barron will do on Harnedy if as expected he picks him up when De Burca drops deeper? The closer it gets the more confident im getting because I think McGrath will have a game plan to get at that fullback line where Dunford especially can go to town on them.

Barron has probably been our best player in the league so you'd imagine he should do well. Harnedy is a class player though. Cadogan, Horgan and Lehane are all equally talented so the whole back line will be kept busy.

I'd still have a bit of fear about Coughlan but apart from that we look solid. Full back really is a thankless job. You only get remembered for your mistakes. I haven't seen a whole lot of the lad though so it's probably unfair of me to judge him.

The way we are set up I'm not sure McGrath can really have that much of a plan to target the Cork full back line because they will always have extra support there. We just have to take every sniff of a chance we get and Dunford has a good eye for a goal.

When is the team being named?

redlead wrote: »
    Barron has probably been our best player in the league so you'd imagine he should do well. Harnedy is a class player though. Cadogan, Horgan and Lehane are all equally talented so the whole back line will be kept busy.

I'd still have a bit of fear about Coughlan but apart from that we look solid. Full back really is a thankless job. You only get remembered for your mistakes. I haven't seen a whole lot of the lad though so it's probably unfair of me to judge him.

The way we are set up I'm not sure McGrath can really have that much of a plan to target the Cork full back line because they will always have extra support there. We just have to take every sniff of a chance we get and Dunford has a good eye for a goal.

When is the team being named?
    Last night, was posted here. Unchanged

logbox wrote: »
    Tough as Teak like his father Liam who played Football for Waterford.

How many of these Cork players ha e Waterford lineage?

Aidan Walsh,
    Lima ryan,
    Harnedy (?)
    Luke Farrell
    I think all have a parent from the deise... We are practically holding them up at this stage

Played half forward for midelton county win two years ago and captain and made cork club team year

Strong under high ball can hurl both sides and has good presence and physical
    Twenty nine and six foot three
    Was cork under twenty one team munster championship winners eight years ago and half back and played minor senior cork under strike and two games Denis Walsh

Went Australia bit

He's good reader and weaknesses imo lacks bit pace so man may get few points but once cork don't conceded goals wouldn't bother me
    He stands tall rarely allows man clear goal chances

Huge test Sunday considered only played Laois challenge centre and full v KK but dome well last week
    Was back playing center back midelton league this year as jerry Wallis brought him out forwards brought peter dowling back to full back and put half back Jamie nagle half forward

Huge test Sunday so well know more then but worth try and it's risky but no more than o Neill or Mcdonnell

Thanks TTM sounds like he is jettisoned in to deal with shanahan tomorrow a lack of pace won't be exposed with O'Neill and Mcdonnell beside him.... Although I still have question marks about McDonnell, started like a train last year but some of his decision making in the Tipp game and the cork county final would make me think he has poor concentration or too lax an attitude

I attended the Waterford v Cork league final in 98 - the last time we met in the final... My memories of that day were that Fergal Hartley was amazing... But that on the other end of the field Brian Corcoran was better... We played outstanding and lost, Other than that my only memory was I think fergal McCormack goaled for Cork.

I remember the disappointment... I remember thinking no matter how good we were, no matter how our big men played that they would always play better and we could never beat... We were 'only waterford' but cork were cork... That red jersey, all that tradition - they lived on another planet and it was one that we would never inhabit.

How times have changed, in the intervening years the mystique of the Cork Jersey is not there anymore, a new breed now expect close games that can go either way and that we can beat cork as much as they beat us.
    The Blue and White clashing with the Red and White have given us some of the best days from the wonderful game.. What a privilege it was to witness it.
    Cork will always believe they are better then us I don't think we will ever believe it again... They are no longer from a different planet and the hurlers from both counties are exposed to each other from a young age across all the prestigious competitions.
    Hurling has never been this strong at underage levels in Waterford - the clubs the schools - I believe we are on the cusp of the best days, hopefully Sunday is the start... If not it will be another day... Waterford are here to stay.
    Thinking of 98 almost brings a tear to my eye.. Mention a year to a Waterford supporter and they know exactly what you mean, like when you say '92 or '98, 2004.
    I will never forget 98... As long as I live, so many firsts... Defeating Tipp when we were still considered nothing... The Clare epic... The first trip to Croke Park and a win against Galway.... The heartbreak against Kilkenny... But it was birth of he hop and the belief, which had never existed before...
    Ok now I am crying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

How many of these Cork players ha e Waterford lineage?

Aidan Walsh,
    Lima ryan,
    Harnedy (?)
    Luke Farrell
    I think all have a parent from the deise... We are practically holding them up at this stage

Didnt know aidan walsh did. Knew about harnedy alright his father is a shamrocks man from knockanore. Played for waterford in the 80s if im not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Jasus Tyrion you getting emotional there... Yea the 98 final, both Hartley and Corcoran gave exhibitions that day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Wonder is Tom Kelly going to the match tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

As a cork man I will start by saying May the best team win. I think it will go down to a puck of a ball. I am wondering what do Waterford people think of gleeson

Pos087 wrote: »
    As a cork man I will start by saying May the best team win. I think it will go down to a puck of a ball. I am wondering what do Waterford people think of gleeson
    Average hurler, lucky to be on the squad imo, I'd say he's related to Mcgrath or something

Very talented but a lot to learn, could be a liability in the half back line if he doesn't tidy up his lazy tackling, soloing 50 yards into trouble, and driving the ball wide from 100 yards (worryingly what was being said when he was minor)

But he is outrageously talented - can get you out of your seat and win a game on his own on his day, he has the ability to be a multiple all star and a huge player

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

Very talented but a lot to learn, could be a liability in the half back line if he doesn't tidy up his lazy tackling, soloing 50 yards into trouble, and driving the ball wide from 100 yards (worryingly what was being said when he was minor)

But he is outrageously talented - can get you out of your seat and win a game on his own on his day, he has the ability to be a multiple all star and a huge player

I have not seen him play in person but looks very impressive on tele. Cork forwards are not known for tracking back so could be a huge advantage when Waterford have the ball breaking from the midfield. Not to sure what he will be like on the half back line. As a hurling fan it would be great if he had a free roll and try dictate the game but might be a bit young for that roll. If it's a battle through out I fancy Waterford but if it's free scoring point for point you would have to fancy cork. This game will be won from the side line. which every management can dominate their game plan should win. See ye all Sunday. up the rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I have not seen him play in person but looks very impressive on tele. Cork forwards are not known for tracking back so could be a huge advantage when Waterford have the ball breaking from the midfield. Not to sure what he will be like on the half back line. As a hurling fan it would be great if he had a free roll and try dictate the game but might be a bit young for that roll. If it's a battle through out I fancy Waterford but if it's free scoring point for point you would have to fancy cork. This game will be won from the side line. which every management can dominate their game plan should win. See ye all Sunday. up the rebels
    That's incorrect this year cork don't track back and horgan Walsh lehane all said improvement in tracking back tacking and work ethic from forwards by input landers this year
    Been huge improvement all games since KK this year even challenges also I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 3-10 Laois 2-5

Waterford’s camogie team emulated their male counterparts by getting into the top division in the camogie league following their fine victory over Laois in the Division 2 final in Carlow today.

The game was badly affected by the unseasonal perishing rain which fell throughout the game, although thankfully we did not have the driving rain which other parts of the country experienced. The players took a while to adopt to the conditions which saw a lot of dropped balls, poor ball control, slipping and sliding, etc. However, once Waterford gained control in the second half they did play some excellent hurling, given the conditions.

Waterford had first use of the significant wind and went two points up from early Patricia Jackman frees. However, they were rocked when Laois got in for a goal after just five minutes. Laois, powered by seven Camross players and managed by former county hurler David Cuddy, were causing Waterford some trouble in the middle third with their close handpassing game but could make little impression on the scoreboard playing into the wind.

With centre back Jennie Simpson and right corner back Vikki Falconer doing some excellent work, Waterford were getting some good ball into the forwards, mainly through some great long balls from midfielder Jackson. However, the Laois defence, led by full back Rosemary Bermingham, generally had the upper hand on their opponents. A lot of misplaced passes were also undermining Waterford’s efforts.

A further free by Patricia Jackman levelled matters after 15 minutes, and shortly afterwards wing forward Beth Carton put Waterford ahead. A Laois free restored parity, until a late point by Lorraine Bray sent Waterford in at half time leading by one point, 0-5 to 1-1. Given the low scoring and tightness of the exchanges, one wondered would Waterford regret a shot which hit the butt of the Laois goalpost and another shot for a point which went wide off an upright. Waterford also hit a couple of narrow wides from good positions.

Whatever was said in the Waterford dressing room at half time, they were a completely different team after the change of ends. They lifted themselves to a new level which Laois were simply unable to match. Full back Claire Whyte had a marvellous second half, Falconer and Simpson continued their good work, while Patricia Jackman, already prominent in the first half, became completely dominant in midfield.

However, it was in the half forward line that the real improvement was effected, with right half forward Lorraine Bray having a terrific thirty minutes, repeatedly running at the Laois defence, centre forward putting in a big shift and right half forward notching two crucial goals. Mention should also be made of corner forward Dawn Power who hit two good points and substitute Niamh Rockett, whose goal finally put the game beyond Laois’s reach.

Carton’s first goal came just two minutes after the restart, with another Jackman free pushing Waterford five points ahead. Just as we were thinking how important it was for Waterford not to concede a goal at this stage that is exactly what they did, with Laois’s long-striking centre back Sarah Ann Fitzgerald sending a long-distance free all the way to the net. Laois followed up quickly with a point which reduced the deficit to a single point again (1-6 to 2-2).

At this stage we feared that, playing with the wind and with their tails up, Laois would seize the initiative. However, Waterford now began to take control of the game, with some excellent interplay in the forwards creating scoring chances. Beth Carton’s second goal in the 42nd minute put them four points ahead, and while Laois got a point back, Niamh Rockett’s superb 48th minute flick stretched the Déise lead to six points and they were now in the driving seat (3-6 to 2-3).

Laois redoubled their efforts but could get little change from the Waterford defence, with goalkeeper Deirdre Brennan dealing very capably with a number of awkward balls that came her way. At the other end, Dawn Power’s two points and two more converted frees by Jackman sealed out the victory. Laois had one last chance of a goal, but Fitzgerald’s powerful shot from a close-in free flew narrowly over the bar to leave Waterford very deserving Division 2 champions by a score of 3-10 to 2-5.

A signficant feature of this Waterford victory was the important contributions of their three second half substitutes, Rockett, Iona Heffernan (who did a lot of good work in midfield) and Claire Murphy. Laois had nothing comparable on their sideline. A further interesting feature of the team is that it contained only two players from Lismore, the dominant club in the county, last year’s All-Ireland intermediate champions and this year’s defeated finalists.

Waterford now move up to Division 1 of the Camogie League. I do not remember them playing at this level before (but I could be wrong).

Waterford: Deirdre Brennan (Butlerstown); Vikki Falconer (Butlerstown); Claire Whyte (St. Anne’s); Emma Hannon (Gailltír); Kate McMahon (Butlerstown); Jennie Simpson (St. Anne’s); Jenny McCarthy (Cappoquin); Nicola Morrissey (Lismore); Patricia Jackman (Gailltír, 0-6, all frees); Lorraine Bray (Cappoquin, 0-1); Valerie O’Brien (Roanmore); Beth Carton (De La Salle, 2-1); Molly Curran (Brickey Rangers); Caitríona McGlone (Lismore); Dawn Power (Dungarvan, 0-2).

Substitutes: Niamh Rockett (St. Anne’s, 1-0) for Curran; Iona Heffernan (Ferrybank) for Morrissey); Claire Murphy (St. Anne’s) for McMahon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our Team & Management tomorrow

UP THE DEISE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement