Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

This is how they actually lined out.

1.Iggy
    2. Shane McNulty
    3. Shane Roche was very impressive v Shane Dowling
    4. Pa Walsh
    5. Mark O' Brien
    6. Paudi Prendegast [ scored sideline cut from 40 yards]
    7. Stephen Daniels was very impressive v Declan Hannon
    8. Eddie Barrett
    9. Shane O'Sullivan
    10. Martin O'Neill
    11. Tom Devine
    12. Gavin O'Brien
    13. Donie Breathnach [goal]
    14. D J Foran [goal]
    15. Brian O'Halloran.

Subs used : Tommy Waring, Cormac Curran, Michael Harney [goal and impressive] Tommy Connors and Conor Murray.

Thanks, Crottys Lake.

That team would probably be able to hold its own against most county sides, as indicated by their score of 3-17 against an almost full strength Limerick team. It does show the depth of talent currently available, especially with Darragh Fives and Ryan Donnelly still to come back. On that basis, apart from the senior and under 21, we should also be having a real cut at the Intermediate this year.

As regards where to play Darragh Fives if/when he comes back, it seems to me that Tadhg de Búrca is doing an excellent job in the sweeping role in front of the full back line, while also able to challenge for high balls coming down the centre. Austin Gleeson and Philip Mahony seem to be playing orthodox wing back roles, with Jamie Barron coming back to pick up ball from Tadhg, the full backs and the wing backs and then running past opponents to set up attacking moves from around midfield. I would play Fives instead of Austin Gleeson, who doesn't have the instincts for wing back play (especially compared with Fives) and should be moved to the forwards. This would create a really solid and creative defensive line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Thanks, Crottys Lake.

That team would probably be able to hold its own against most county sides, as indicated by their score of 3-17 against an almost full strength Limerick team. It does show the depth of talent currently available, especially with Darragh Fives and Ryan Donnelly still to come back. On that basis, apart from the senior and under 21, we should also be having a real cut at the Intermediate this year.

As regards where to play Darragh Fives if/when he comes back, it seems to me that Tadhg de Búrca is doing an excellent job in the sweeping role in front of the full back line, while also able to challenge for high balls coming down the centre. Austin Gleeson and Philip Mahony seem to be playing orthodox wing back roles, with Jamie Barron coming back to pick up ball from Tadhg, the full backs and the wing backs and then running past opponents to set up attacking moves from around midfield. I would play Fives instead of Austin Gleeson, who doesn't have the instincts for wing back play (especially compared with Fives) and should be moved to the forwards. This would create a really solid and creative defensive line.

Gleeson I would play him anywhere from number 8 to 12. In the future I think he has the ability to develop into a top centre back of the Ken McGrath mould, but at the moment he doesn’t have the defensive mentality for the position. I don’t mean that necessarily in a negative sense but his instinct is to attack and create as opposed to defend and break up the play. There is still a lot of rawness and naivety to his game and Id fear he could be a liability in defence especially in the bigger championship games when there is a lot at stake. As regards his attacking ability I believe there is no end to his limitations and what he can offer the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Gleeson Cup result: West Waterford 2-20 East Waterford 2-14

West Waterford had a deserved victory in the annual East v West Under 16 hurling game for the Gleeson Cup in Fraher Field this evening. The game was played on a bone-hard pitch which caused some ball-control problems for the players (and a couple of nasty grazes for players landing heavily on the artificical surface in front of the dugouts).

After ten minutes of this game you would have thought that the East were going to run away with it as, despite playing against the wind, they were leading by 1-4 to 0-1 at this stage. However, the West then took over completely and the ball hardly crossed their 45 metre line for the remainder of the half. Overall they were a bigger, stronger and better hurling team, with their big centre and full forwards (Seán Crotty and Shaun Murray, both from Dungarvan) in particular causing the East’s defenders a lot of problems. The West were leading by six points coming up to half time but in a rare breakout, Clonea’s Bill Power got in for this second goal to leave just three points between the teams at half time, 1-10 to 2-4.

As in the first half, the East started the second half strongly and reduced the lead to one point before the West, despite playing into the wind, took over again. However, poor shooting meant they were unable to pull away on the scoreboard, and as the East began to up their performance, the possibility of them snatching a win was always there. However, a late goal (his second) by Shaun Murray finally put the West out of reach and they finished the game six points ahead, 2-20 to 2-14.

This was good scoring for under-16s in a 60-minute match. There were a lot of good performances on display – most of them on the West team, it should be said. However, the star of the show was the East’s Billy Power of Clonea, who ended up with a remarkable tally of 2-10, 2-5 of it from play. Without him, the East would definitely have shipped a heavier defeat. It should also be said that the East were missing the injured Thomas Douglas of De La Salle, one of their top players.

The West’s Shaun Murray was not far behind Power in the scoring stakes with a personal tally of 2-7 (2-3 from play).

The teams wore numbers different from those on the programme. The following were the teams as announced (some players did not play in the positions indicated by their announced numbers):

West: Jack Walsh (Ardmore); James Flavin (Ardmore) (0-1); Tom Barron (Fourmilewater); Kealan Daly (Dungarvan); Dylan O’Donovan (Brickeys); Dan Booth (St. Patrick’s); Tiernan O’Connell (St. Oliver’s); Mick Devine (Dungarvan); Conor Whelan (Brickeys) (0-2, one free); Cillian Tobin (Naomh Bríd); Seán Crotty (Dungarvan) (0-4, one free); Glen Cullinane (Fourmilewater) (0-3); Sam Murphy Nix (St. Patrick’s); Shaun Murray (Dungarvan) (2-7, three frees); Brian Lynch (Clashmore).

I also have Gavin Dalton (Naomh Bríd) down for 0-1. He was wearing no. 24 and may have played the entire game instead of one of the above from the announced team. Another substitute whose name I don’t know (wearing no. 23) scored 0-2. There were several other substitutions whose names I don’t have.

East: Donal Carey (De La Salle); Sean Carton (De La Salle); James Ogundare (Mount Sion); Luke Walsh (De La Salle) (0-1); Martin Power (Clonea); Jack Brophy (St. Saviours); Charlie Kelly (Tramore) (0-1); Seán Roche (Roanmore) (0-2); Luke Flynn (De La Salle); Harry Ruddle (Ballygunner); Evan McGrath (Mount Sion); Billy Power (Clonea) (2-10, 5 frees); Michael Mulcahy (St. Molleran’s); Ian Condon (De La Salle).

The East also brought on a number of substitutes whose names I don’t have. I think one of them was Jonathan Flynn (Mount Sion) (wearing no. 21) who played an important role in the East’s second half fightback.

Left Dungarvan under the illusion Blackwater were going to win the Harty with him on board. Ironically, they didn't even make it out if the group and the Dungarvan colleges combination team he left won it. Justice for the poaching that Blackwater were at under Denis Ring

A bit late but couldnt let this one go...

Very unfair post. Jamie had already completed his leaving cert with CBS but opted to repeat some subjects in Blackwater CS which he was entitled to do so. To be fair he had connections with teaching staff in the school so had a spin to and from the school every day. The distance by bus to Dungarvan for him wouldn’t be any more convenient. To say there was ‘poaching’ is very ill-informed. Outside of Jamie and Ring’s own son (Fermoy) there would have been no one else outside the normal catchment area on that team. Shane O’Brien (Cork minor centre back) is from St Catherines would only be a 15 minute drive from Lismore max. Blackwater got a savage hard group that year with 3 or 4 of the tournament favourites all in together. the groups were very uneven had they been in some other of the poorer groups it could have been a different story. They were unlucky the following year aswell that Bennett was injured long term. To say that it was ‘justice’ that they didn’t win anything just stinks of bitterness maybe your have a personal gripe towards Ring or the school yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I presume Tom is his brother played full back for West Waterford, he goes to school in Lismore too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

A bit late but couldnt let this one go...

Very unfair post. Jamie had already completed his leaving cert with CBS but opted to repeat some subjects in Blackwater CS which he was entitled to do so. To be fair he had connections with teaching staff in the school so had a spin to and from the school every day. The distance by bus to Dungarvan for him wouldn’t be any more convenient. To say there was ‘poaching’ is very ill-informed. Outside of Jamie and Ring’s own son (Fermoy) there would have been no one else outside the normal catchment area on that team. Shane O’Brien (Cork minor centre back) is from St Catherines would only be a 15 minute drive from Lismore max. Blackwater got a savage hard group that year with 3 or 4 of the tournament favourites all in together. the groups were very uneven had they been in some other of the poorer groups it could have been a different story. They were unlucky the following year aswell that Bennett was injured long term. To say that it was ‘justice’ that they didn’t win anything just stinks of bitterness maybe your have a personal gripe towards Ring or the school yourself.

Wrong. He moved there for fifth year so didn't have the leaving cert already completed. There was poaching going on and saying there wasn't is laughable. The players themselves just decided against the move - Colin Dunford and Micheal Harney are 2 for arguments sake which were approached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Lads whatever about clubs, a school has no right to claim the loyalty of someone. It's not a hurling team he was joining even if the hurling was a large part.

Plenty of people move school all the time for other reasons, does that make them disloyal? I think a school is entitled to approach anyone, its up to them to decide whether they want to go or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Gleeson Cup result: West Waterford 2-20 East Waterford 2-14

West Waterford had a deserved victory in the annual East v West Under 16 hurling game for the Gleeson Cup in Fraher Field this evening. The game was played on a bone-hard pitch which caused some ball-control problems for the players (and a couple of nasty grazes for players landing heavily on the artificical surface in front of the dugouts).

After ten minutes of this game you would have thought that the East were going to run away with it as, despite playing against the wind, they were leading by 1-4 to 0-1 at this stage. However, the West then took over completely and the ball hardly crossed their 45 metre line for the remainder of the half. Overall they were a bigger, stronger and better hurling team, with their big centre and full forwards (Seán Crotty and Shaun Murray, both from Dungarvan) in particular causing the East’s defenders a lot of problems. The West were leading by six points coming up to half time but in a rare breakout, Clonea’s Bill Power got in for this second goal to leave just three points between the teams at half time, 1-10 to 2-4.

As in the first half, the East started the second half strongly and reduced the lead to one point before the West, despite playing into the wind, took over again. However, poor shooting meant they were unable to pull away on the scoreboard, and as the East began to up their performance, the possibility of them snatching a win was always there. However, a late goal (his second) by Shaun Murray finally put the West out of reach and they finished the game six points ahead, 2-20 to 2-14.

This was good scoring for under-16s in a 60-minute match. There were a lot of good performances on display – most of them on the West team, it should be said. However, the star of the show was the East’s Billy Power of Clonea, who ended up with a remarkable tally of 2-10, 2-5 of it from play. Without him, the East would definitely have shipped a heavier defeat. It should also be said that the East were missing the injured Thomas Douglas of De La Salle, one of their top players.

The West’s Shaun Murray was not far behind Power in the scoring stakes with a personal tally of 2-7 (2-3 from play).

The teams wore numbers different from those on the programme. The following were the teams as announced (some players did not play in the positions indicated by their announced numbers):

West: Jack Walsh (Ardmore); James Flavin (Ardmore) (0-1); Tom Barron (Fourmilewater); Kealan Daly (Dungarvan); Dylan O’Donovan (Brickeys); Dan Booth (St. Patrick’s); Tiernan O’Connell (St. Oliver’s); Mick Devine (Dungarvan); Conor Whelan (Brickeys) (0-2, one free); Cillian Tobin (Naomh Bríd); Seán Crotty (Dungarvan) (0-4, one free); Glen Cullinane (Fourmilewater) (0-3); Sam Murphy Nix (St. Patrick’s); Shaun Murray (Dungarvan) (2-7, three frees); Brian Lynch (Clashmore).

I also have Gavin Dalton (Naomh Bríd) down for 0-1. He was wearing no. 24 and may have played the entire game instead of one of the above from the announced team. Another substitute whose name I don’t know (wearing no. 23) scored 0-2. There were several other substitutions whose names I don’t have.

East: Donal Carey (De La Salle); Sean Carton (De La Salle); James Ogundare (Mount Sion); Luke Walsh (De La Salle) (0-1); Martin Power (Clonea); Jack Brophy (St. Saviours); Charlie Kelly (Tramore) (0-1); Seán Roche (Roanmore) (0-2); Luke Flynn (De La Salle); Harry Ruddle (Ballygunner); Evan McGrath (Mount Sion); Billy Power (Clonea) (2-10, 5 frees); Michael Mulcahy (St. Molleran’s); Ian Condon (De La Salle).

The East also brought on a number of substitutes whose names I don’t have. I think one of them was Jonathan Flynn (Mount Sion) (wearing no. 21) who played an important role in the East’s second half fightback.

Thanks for that report and you were obviously at the same game that I was at !!! Sometimes people can look at a game completely differently. The pitch was unplayable in my estimation and thankfully nobody got injured. There were at least 2 points that were over the bar for the West that were not given, one in particular at the start of the second half that was 2 feet inside the upright. I can't understand why there was only one umpire at both ends and it was unfair on them but to be honest they didn't look that interested either.

Billy Power was sensational for the East and Tom Barron from the West is a star in the making. There were plenty of other big performances as well and it was a pity the big match up between Barron and Douglas did not take place due to the latter being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Plenty of other schools at it across Munster, including a few recent Harty winners. Happens a lot in school's rugby too. To be honest there probably isn't much wrong with it if means lads get to play at a higher level. It's a good thing really. Regarding Barron, he was quite entitled to go to whatever school he wanted to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Any secondary school student is entitled to change schools for a vast variety of reasons that are personal to them, it can be acedamic ambition, sporting ambition, parents decision (they are children) easier to get too or God forbid to escape bullying or the like.

No one had any loyalty to a secondary school, it's not like a club, you don't stay in a secondary school to keep every else happy.
    Cornerstoner how you could talk about a lad who was that young in those terms over changing school is appalling really, the only sense I can make of it is that you didn't spend too much time in school yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I remember an acquaintance of mine who attended De La Salle was 'encouraged' to repeat the Leaving even though he was a 580 points student because he was good at basketball. No offence to that sport, but I'd say there's slightly more prestige to winning the Harty Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I really think the bookmakers have this game wrong , again.Paddy Power goes Cork 8/15 Waterford 15/8. That price for us is just screaming a bet especially with everyone reporting fit after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I really think the bookmakers have this game wrong , again.Paddy Power goes Cork 8/15 Waterford 15/8. That price for us is just screaming a bet especially with everyone reporting fit after the weekend.

I was expecting Cork slight favourits but in a two horse race that's well worth a bet, nearly 2/1 is crazy. Lump on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Waterford will be evens come Sunday. I think everyone will agree that the team will remain unchanged for Sunday. I think it will be the same team that starts June 7th also unless Darragh Fives or Steven Daniels are really showing up in training. You have

Sok
    Noelie, Barry C, Shane Fives, Tadhg, Aussie, Philip
    Moran, Jamie Barron
    Colin D, Paudie, Brick, Stephen Bennett, Maurice and Jake.

Then for the summer if we had full selection, I'd like to see.

Sok
    Shane Fives/Daniels, Barry C, Noelie
    Tadhg, Darragh Fives, Philip
    Moran, Jamie Barron
    Aussie, Paudie,Brick
    Colin Dunford, Maurice and Stephen Bennett/Jake. If Bennett is 100% then it's him all day long. But he shouldn't be playing otherwise. Our bench is strong this year, we'll have Daniels, Darragh Fives if not ready to start, Brian O'Halloran, Shane Bennett, Tom Devine, Jake/Stephen Bennett, Shane O'Sullivan, Ryan Donnelly, Micheal Harney and DJ Foran going well in training and challenges. It's a 20 man game and we certainly have 20 top class hurlers, young and raring to go. I remember that 1/4 final v Cork in 2012, Shane Walsh went off injured, our lack of subs cost us that day, bringing on Eoin Mcgrath and Shane Casey as our only attacking options. Best of luck Sunday men!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Any secondary school student is entitled to change schools for a vast variety of reasons that are personal to them, it can be acedamic ambition, sporting ambition, parents decision (they are children) easier to get too or God forbid to escape bullying or the like.

No one had any loyalty to a secondary school, it's not like a club, you don't stay in a secondary school to keep every else happy.
    Cornerstoner how you could talk about a lad who was that young in those terms over changing school is appalling really, the only sense I can make of it is that you didn't spend too much time in school yourself

I have no problem with a person changing school, I went to the very same school and played on various Harty cup teams. I'm saying that the poaching and attempted poaching that went on was wrong. Half of ye on here don't know the ready position from the lock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I was expecting Cork slight favourits but in a two horse race that's well worth a bet, nearly 2/1 is crazy. Lump on!!

Insane odds....I never bet...but I'm getting someone to put money on for me at that odds

I have no problem with a person changing school, I went to the very same school and played on various Harty cup teams. I'm saying that the poaching and attempted poaching that went on was wrong. Half of ye on here don't know the ready position from the lock

For gods sake, that has been going on as long as the Harty Cup itself and you pick out that one instance... Sad... Deal with your issues with your old school or Jamie Barron privately...
    For one that is so wise and above all the rest of us in matters hurling the muck you post here would need a big improvement to back it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think the county shc is starting this weekend It's tallow vs ballyduff upper so I'd imagine they have no players on the Waterford Panel. There's a full line up of fixtures on the next 2 weekend following the league final.

Hopefully the Waterford hurlers will be having a few celebratory drinks come Sunday night dare I say it the match will end in a draw after extra time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

Johnny Ryan is referee for sunday:D:D:D

Just because you played Harty Cup (so you claim) it makes your opinion more qualified than everyone else’s. You’re the one deluded if you think Blackwater are the aristocrats of this so called ‘poaching’ business. We know how people on here look to bang on about Kilkenny and how we should be following what theyre doing. Look at St Kierans. They win the All Ireland pretty much every second year. They have a spread of players from all corners of the city and county. Given the fact that there are secondary schools in towns such as callan, ballyhale, castlecomer and Johnstown, yet many players from these catchment areas go to and move to Kierans primarliy for hurling purposes. Is this not ‘poaching’? Similar with Ard Scoil Ris in Limerick who draft students in from all over Limerick and even Clare. That’s ok but when a small school like Blackwater gets a couple of players in from outside the catchment area and theres this type of bitterness and begrudgery. Sad.

• Advertisement

Only Jamie Barron knows why he left one school and went to another and he has every right to do so without anyone questioning his motives. Its in the past and that's where it should be left.

Waterford v Cork - League Final
    One of the main reasons why Waterford are in a league final is because of our huge workrate. No doubt we have quality hurlers throughout the team but the difference against Tipp was in the end we out fought them. Against Wexford and Galway we won more comfortably because we out worked them and IMO have more quality throughout our panel.
    Tipp with no injuries have a stronger starting 15 than Waterford does but you'd expect that as they have alot more experience too.
    If Cork had their full panel to pick from including their regular full back i think on paper they would match up to Tipp fairly evenly overall but their full back is a big loss and they don't have any quality replacement.
    The only big advantage Cork now have over Waterford is experience. Waterford's big advantage over all the teams so far is that we are fitter at this time of the year and have greater workrate. Most of the teams are trying to peak for the start of the championship where as we've peaked (possibly) a bit early for championship.
    The duel of the day may be Tadgh de Burca v Seamus Harnedy,(if de Burca holds the centre) two players on top of their game.

Waterford by 1

Only Jamie Barron knows why he left one school and went to another and he has every right to do so without anyone questioning his motives. Its in the past and that's where it should be left.

Waterford v Cork - League Final
    One of the main reasons why Waterford are in a league final is because of our huge workrate. No doubt we have quality hurlers throughout the team but the difference against Tipp was in the end we out fought them. Against Wexford and Galway we won more comfortably because we out worked them and IMO have more quality throughout our panel.
    Tipp with no injuries have a stronger starting 15 than Waterford does but you'd expect that as they have alot more experience too.
    If Cork had their full panel to pick from including their regular full back i think on paper they would match up to Tipp fairly evenly overall but their full back is a big loss and they don't have any quality replacement.
    The only big advantage Cork now have over Waterford is experience. Waterford's big advantage over all the teams so far is that we are fitter at this time of the year and have greater workrate. Most of the teams are trying to peak for the start of the championship where as we've peaked (possibly) a bit early for championship.
    The duel of the day may be Tadgh de Burca v Seamus Harnedy,(if de Burca holds the centre) two players on top of their game.

Waterford by 1

Im confident about Sunday, I think we can do it. Until a team comes up with a way of counter-acting our system and matching our work-rate we will be hard to beat, no matter who the opposition. If we can keep Corks main forwards at bay we can go a long ways. The problem you often find with Cork is that when you put the shackles on their main forwards like Horgan or Lehane, there is always another lad capable of stepping up. Alan Cadogan for example is a fellah who has caused us trouble in the past. Harnedy is another whose influence needs to be curtailed. I hope Sunday is not the day we are opened up and exposed. But I cant see it happening because the hunger there at the moment is absolutely massive. As big as Ive seen from a Waterford team in a long while. I think these lads really want this league trophy and there’s absolutely no fears going into the game. The biggest worry lads have is that there are plenty fellahs on the bench as good as lads starting and that’s a very healthy place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

No disrespect meant to Cork and I could well be eating my words come Sunday evening but a lot of lads on here talking about them as if they were the great KK side of recent years - they are not , will not yet at least. Yes that have savage potential that has shown in fits and starts and until they deliver this with a high degree of consistency they are amongst the better sides in the country no more, and i honestly believe we belong in the same bunch.

A big worry for me is what we will be willing to do on the line Sunday. Cork for my money will most likely start Cadogan on Barry Coughlan and last year he ran riot. I know we are affording greater protection to our full back line but if he starts to run riot will we be slow to make the necessary change. Not picking on Coughlan he has done nothing wrong so far but sometimes players come up against opposition that cannot handle for one reason or another. We have options on the line with Paudie Prenderagst to slot in and do a job, but will our management be willing to make that kind of sacrifice on the day, I worry they might not.

Other than that i believe we are a match throughout the field especially if our lads are on their game. I would like to see, Maurice start and stay wing forward along side Brick and Paudie for most if not the entire game. Think he is much more effective there and we have a half forward line capable of winning ball. Would like to see Bennett and Dunford stay close to goal as i think they can cause real damage in there there even in a 2 on 3 scenario. That will leave Jake or O'Halloran or Devine or whoever they pick in the other corner to drift out the field and increase the numbers in that area, without removing a real goal threat. I believe the Cork Full back line is a serious Achilles heel for them and I genuinely fancy us to get goals especially if we can create space in front of them, but we must have at least 2 men in there keeping the full-back line on their toes.

Really looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cork still have to be favourites because, well, Cork. The failure to apply the necessary pressure when we had our boot on their throat in the 1998 final was disappointing enough at the time, but it would also prove a harbinger of things to come in the decade-and-a-half that followed. Maybe we have a generation of hurlers for whom Cork don't hold the same fears as that generation. Tipp were always going to push back in the final quarter of this year's semi-final after what was a Herculean effort in the third quarter, but feck it didn't the Waterford lads hold their nerve. I hope we'll see more of the same on Sunday (although walloping them up and down the pitch would also be acceptable). Whatever happens though, the gap between where I thought we'd be at the start of the year and where we are is gargantuan. Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to miss the match due to work.devastated is not the word. Bought the ticket and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

2 competitive games in thurles against Cork is ideal in the learning curve for this waterford team with its more defensive system. Cork are one of the best teams at scoring points under JBM and with the extra space in thurles it will test the current system to the max. If we don't get the result at least there will be plenty of opportunity to learn from the game and tweak the positioning of players for the next day.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have to miss the match due to work.devastated is not the word. Bought the ticket and everything

Crap! hopefully you will be still celebrating a win sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Watched the TG4 programme this evening on the Waterford - Cork rivalry of the naughties. Some fantastic games, incredible scores and drama. Brilliant players on both sides....
    Cant wait for Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Mayweather/pacman-draw and Waterford/Cork draw worth a punt?

• Advertisement

blueflame wrote: »
    No disrespect meant to Cork and I could well be eating my words come Sunday evening but a lot of lads on here talking about them as if they were the great KK side of recent years - they are not , will not yet at least. Yes that have savage potential that has shown in fits and starts and until they deliver this with a high degree of consistency they are amongst the better sides in the country no more, and i honestly believe we belong in the same bunch.

A big worry for me is what we will be willing to do on the line Sunday. Cork for my money will most likely start Cadogan on Barry Coughlan and last year he ran riot. I know we are affording greater protection to our full back line but if he starts to run riot will we be slow to make the necessary change. Not picking on Coughlan he has done nothing wrong so far but sometimes players come up against opposition that cannot handle for one reason or another. We have options on the line with Paudie Prenderagst to slot in and do a job, but will our management be willing to make that kind of sacrifice on the day, I worry they might not.

Other than that i believe we are a match throughout the field especially if our lads are on their game. I would like to see, Maurice start and stay wing forward along side Brick and Paudie for most if not the entire game. Think he is much more effective there and we have a half forward line capable of winning ball. Would like to see Bennett and Dunford stay close to goal as i think they can cause real damage in there there even in a 2 on 3 scenario. That will leave Jake or O'Halloran or Devine or whoever they pick in the other corner to drift out the field and increase the numbers in that area, without removing a real goal threat. I believe the Cork Full back line is a serious Achilles heel for them and I genuinely fancy us to get goals especially if we can create space in front of them, but we must have at least 2 men in there keeping the full-back line on their toes.

Really looking forward to the game.

I don't think we'll ever see Maurice in the half forward line playing the system we're playing at the moment. Derek wants the half forward line to push to midfield and sometimes further back if needed and help out our defence. Maurice has great work ethic when on the ball or trying to win it but he's not much good when chasing down players when they have the ball.
    In fairness to him his size doesn't help when trying to defend, too easy to side step him. The likes of Brick, Pauric and Dillon are quite good at closing down defenders and i've also seen Dillon put in some big hits on the opposition defenders which is always great to see.
    I wonder when Shane Bennett is done with his leaving cert how close will he be to the starting 15. He was playing great stuff before he left and at only 18 he has some potential.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement