Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

archieknox wrote: »
    I'm sour and soreðŸ˜. I genuinely thought we were doing ok but fair play to Tallow they fought it out to the bitter end. As a Dungarvan man I can have no complaints we will have to regroup and go again next year. With Passage beaten before us last night I thought we had a chance of going all the way but that thought went out the window an hour later!! God knows what way the championship will end up at this stage I certainly won't make anymore predictions!! Il still stick to DLS staying up though!!

The kiss of death for DLS - they may as well not show up... Lismore will be delighted reading that!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

JesusRef wrote: »
    The kiss of death for DLS - they may as well not show up... Lismore will be delighted reading that!

;)

😂😂 On the law of averages I'll get one right !! With the numbers they're getting for training up there its hard to see them pulling it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

hey, does anyone know what happened to "friends of waterford senior hurlers? " just seen my standing order returned to my account, guess they don't need our money anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Looking at the 4 remaining teams I thinks Ballygunner although not firing on all cylinders should have enough to win it.

Maybe when you are finished singing the "Wesht Awake" one of you might have the courage to pick the strongest contender out of the rest or are you all just happy to be there?

You should really lose the "ler" from your name.

Aha. I see what you did there Micko, ya mad thing ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Looking at the 4 remaining teams I thinks Ballygunner although not firing on all cylinders should have enough to win it.

Maybe when you are finished singing the "Wesht Awake" one of you might have the courage to pick the strongest contender out of the rest or are you all just happy to be there?

The Johns

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Ah sure us poor folk up in the wesht are only happy for the day out. We've the ham sandwiches and the flask of tae ready. Maybe we'll form a group team amongst the 3 of us to take on the aristocrats from the east.

Ah sure us poor folk up in the wesht are only happy for the day out. We've the ham sandwiches and the flask of tae ready. Maybe we'll form a group team amongst the 3 of us to take on the aristocrats from the east.

Micko
    I was actually thinking that myself but I didn't say it because I wouldn't like to offend anyone.

So you don't want to call it yourself then?

Micko
    I was actually thinking that myself but I didn't say it because I wouldn't like to offend anyone.

So you don't want to call it yourself then?

The difference with us in the west is we have a thing called respect. Are we confident in Tallow? Of course we are. But we don't look beyond the next game. I wouldn't dream of disrespecting Ballyduff by saying that we'll win the county. We'll concentrate on Ballyduff first and worry about the county final after that. But yes I feel any of the 3 teams are capable of beating Ballygunner.

The difference with us in the west is we have a thing called respect. Are we confident in Tallow? Of course we are. But we don't look beyond the next game. I wouldn't dream of disrespecting Ballyduff by saying that we'll win the county. We'll concentrate on Ballyduff first and worry about the county final after that. But yes I feel any of the 3 teams are capable of beating Ballygunner.

Micko
    Of course any of those 3 teams are capable of beating Ballygunner. Sure I didn't realise until I started reading the posts on here just how useless they are.

SOKs puckouts and distribution alone cost Waterford a Munster title.
    Barry Coughlan isn't related to a full back and needs constant minding by DeBurca.
    And you have Philip Mahoney at centre back only waiting to be burned for pace.
    Sure FMW will drive a truck through that defense.

But why are you scared to call it against yourselves and Ballyduff? The Ballyduff lads wouldn't be afraid to tell you.

• Advertisement

Micko
    Of course any of those 3 teams are capable of beating Ballygunner. Sure I didn't realise until I started reading the posts on here just how useless they are.

Barry Coughlan isn't related to a full back and needs constant minding by DeBurca.

But why are you scared to call it against yourselves and Ballyduff? The Ballyduff lads wouldn't be afraid to tell you.

Who said anything about being scared? The word I used was respect. We'll just focus on Ballyduff game first. And I won't go shoutin my mouth off that we'll do this and that like other teams. We'll do all our talking on the pitch.

I'm pretty sure people were saying how useless DLS we were at start of year too and look how that turned out.

Stirring the sh1t is all well and good but fact of the matter is the 3 teams from the west are there on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Who said anything about being scared? The word I used was respect. We'll just focus on Ballyduff game first. And I won't go shoutin my mouth off that we'll do this and that like other teams. We'll do all our talking on the pitch.

I'm pretty sure people were saying how useless DLS we were at start of year too and look how that turned out.

Stirring the sh1t is all well and good but fact of the matter is the 3 teams from the west are there on merit.
    Its well I know Mick😂

Micko

They're gone very precious down in the City. Must be worried about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

East V West. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    East V West. That is all.

Surely any non ballygunner easterners would be happy to see a team from the west win the championship? It can only be good for Waterford hurling to have both sides of the county doing well, how many other counties have that? Kilkenny maybe?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Surely any non ballygunner easterners would be happy to see a team from the west win the championship? It can only be good for Waterford hurling to have both sides of the county doing well, how many other counties have that? Kilkenny maybe?

You would imagine so wouldn't you. It says a lot for the intensity of the rivalry in the east when they would rather see Ballygunner win than a team from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I dont like to comment much on here but here it goes with the amount of bull being written i had to come in,
    First of all we're not all aliens in the East or the City we have genuine hurling people down here to you know, who would love to see Tallow, Ballyduff or indeed Fourmilewater win it out and if Ballygunner won it out so be it, all this tripe about east v west it certainly doesnt do any good for the county.
    Also big game the weekend the relegation, both clubs deserve to be there, the same as the 4 clubs left in the semi finals deserve to be where they are. If DLS or indeed Lismore go down there is not a hope in hell that they are trying to bend any rules & try stay up ffs who comes up with these stories on this forum, they have to take it on the chin same as everyone else. If ye are all the so called GAA people ye seem to be then surely ye all know the rules of a relegation by now.
    One last thing before i go. Jamie Barron suffered a nasty incident last weekend and i wish him a speedy recovery and hope his team mates can make him proud in the semi. Good luck to ye all in the games ahead.

Tomas McCarthy reckons Barron will be fine for the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Gavlor wrote: »

I'd much rather one of the western teams won the county title. Share the wealth and all that. And I still have an oul soft spot for Ballyduff thanks to Mossy Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Credit where it's due Dickler.

Pretty astute points there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You would imagine so wouldn't you. It says a lot for the intensity of the rivalry in the east when they would rather see Ballygunner win than a team from the west.
    I'm from the east and I can guarantee that the boards attitude isn't reflective of this side of the county

Micko
    It seems the shock of arriving into the semi final is bringing on a touch of the old paranoia. Relax boy.

Micko
    It seems the shock of arriving into the semi final is bringing on a touch of the old paranoia. Relax boy.

Thoroughly relaxed boy. Only thing I'm feeling is vindicated for having full support in our team. Not a hint of paranoia or shock anywhere to be seen. To be shocked I would have to be surprised that we beat Dungarvan. When I actually won quite a few quid on believing we would win care of P. Power

Thoroughly relaxed boy. Only thing I'm feeling is vindicated for having full support in our team. Not a hint of paranoia or shock anywhere to be seen. To be shocked I would have to be surprised that we beat Dungarvan. When I actually won quite a few quid on believing we would win care of P. Power

Delighted for you Micko. So you'll be letting it ride on the Ballyduff game then ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

West Intermediate finals fixed for this weekend. Clashmore v Stradbally, Modeligo V Ardmore. Ive been saying all the year that Modeligo are dark horses but Ive sneaking feeling for Clashmore now. They won their group looking pretty good and wouldn't it be the irony of ironies if they were to win it given their 'relegation' last year. Wide open championship all the same. Couldn't see any of those sides making an impact at senior to be fair but Portlaw face a long wait until the county final and it could go against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Has anyone stood out to posters here as players who have the potential to be added to the senior squad for next year? Shane Kearney from Ballyduff has been outstanding in the resurgence and Gavin Crotty would be another player who would fit Dereks system well... Im sure I have missed alot of names and ill admit I havent seen alot of the Junior or Intermediate championship also

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

cookey123 wrote: »
    Has anyone stood out to posters here as players who have the potential to be added to the senior squad for next year? Shane Kearney from Ballyduff has been outstanding in the resurgence and Gavin Crotty would be another player who would fit Dereks system well... Im sure I have missed alot of names and ill admit I havent seen alot of the Junior or Intermediate championship also

Crotty hasn't played much this year from the reports I have seen. Has he been injured or was he away? His influence on the Tallow game was minimal which was unusual for him.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Crotty hasn't played much this year from the reports I have seen. Has he been injured or was he away? His influence on the Tallow game was minimal which was unusual for him.

That's because he isn't usually marked by Mark O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

DiscoStew wrote: »

He was injured for a while. He was definitely asked to join up in 2014, I don't know about this year but for whatever reason he didn't. He certainly has the potential to contribute

• Advertisement

cookey123 wrote: »

Having seen all the 4 teams left in semi finals I would say the main guys to stand out who currently aren't on the Waterford panel are as follows.
    1. Shane Kearney - Ballyduff
    Like a magnet to the ball and has very good distribution. Would probably struggle to displace Tadgh DeBurca but plays a more attacking role from centre back.
    2. Cian Leamy - Ballyduff
    No coincidence that Ballyduff's fortunes have changed since he returned from injury to take his place in midfield.
    3. Brian O'Sullivan - Ballygunner
    Should still be on the panel if not the team. A good year does not gloss over the way he was treated by county board the year before.
    4. Peter Hogan - Ballygunner
    Lightning quick and knows where the goals are. Links up well with Conor Power who is another good prospect.
    5. Conor Gleeson - FMW
    Playing time has been limited this year but showed his potential against Roanmore. Playing in roving role he is a great conduit for the team and chips in with scores.
    6. Craig Guiry - FMW
    Possibly the stand out performer for FMW after Jamie Barron.

As for Tallow, well we have a good mix of youth and experience and as we have no one on the panel, I feel the majority of them would be an addition to the county set up. But I thank god we have no-one on the panel as we can train together with a full squad and get better challenge games.

This brings me to a point I've wanted to raise for a while but only have an opportunity now given the semi-finalists.
    Do posters think the effort required by inter-county players is affecting their clubs prospects.

Of the 4 teams left, only Jamie Barron, Stephen O'Keeffe, Barry Coughlan and Phillip Mahony are starters for the inter-county team. There will be more inter-county players in the relegation play-off than either semi- final.
    Club teams are obviously at a disadvantage when they cannot train or prepare with their own players due to inter-county commitments. Whatever happened to club before county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement