Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Interview with shiner ahearne on the examiner today about the relegation final tomorrow & he says DLS have just been 'a little unlucky' and 'maybe it just hasnt been their year year this year'. Christ what a waste of paper and ink he must have splinters on his arse from sitting on the fence. It like a throwback to the insufferable yes-man mentality from the 80s and 90s that was part and parcel of waterford hurling

In fairness at the end of the article he tipped DLS, FMW and Ballyduff to win their games so he did get off the fence eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

JesusRef wrote: »
    In fairness at the end of the article he tipped DLS, FMW and Ballyduff to win their games so he did get off the fence eventually

But he was never going to criticise DLS due to the amount of past and present 'county stars' they have, he was too afraid to upset the applecart. Maybe he still has his sights set on getting back into county management. Instead of saying it as it is that that DLS just havent done it and deserve to be where they are he went about making excuses for them and this 'unlucky' nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

But he was never going to criticise DLS due to the amount of past and present 'county stars' they have, he was too afraid to upset the applecart. Maybe he still has his sights set on getting back into county management. Instead of saying it as it is that that DLS just havent done it and deserve to be where they are he went about making excuses for them and this 'unlucky' nonsense

Or maybe he just thought they were unlucky.

debok wrote: »
    Or maybe he just thought they were unlucky.

Yea that must-win game when FMW hurled them off the field by 11 points was bad luck alright

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Yea that must-win game when FMW hurled them off the field by 11 points was bad luck alright

They'll do enough today though id say. For all of Lismore's honest endeavour DLS have the far better panel to pick from. I know they haven't got it together all year bar the Ballygunner game but I think today all their differences will be put behind them and see them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd be with Paddy here. The alarms bells should be ringing when you have it all to play for on the last day and get absolutely hammered.

If you cant get motivated for that then I'd be skeptical about the mentality thAt they can just switch it on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Lads just wondering is the Erins Own pitch in the City closed to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

There're good singers in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Yeah it would be I'm fairly sure. Unless there is something going on in there, the big gates beside the post office will be locked. Although I'm sure there are a few unofficial ways of getting in!

DLS cruising at halftime 9pts up. Lismore very poor.

• Advertisement

3 in it now, 10 mins left.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Sad day for Lismore and sad day for the west. I take no delight in seeing Lismore getting relegated. They will find it hard to get out of the western intermediate which is the strongest division in Waterford in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Sad day for Lismore and sad day for the west. I take no delight in seeing Lismore getting relegated. They will find it hard to get out of the western intermediate which is the strongest division in Waterford in my opinion.

If they play like they did in the first half...it's junior they'll be playing in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

If they play like they did in the first half...it's junior they'll be playing in 2017
    They are going to struggle in Intermediate. The Western IHC is probably the most competitive in Waterford. It is a sad day to see such a great club relegated.

The problem is they're so short on senior standard hurlers at the moment it was going to be a struggle for the next few years for them but I thought they would have been good enough to see of Cappoquin in the first round. Take the Barry's, Maurice Shanahan the Prendergasts and that's all they have to be honest and they mightn't be enough to get them back up anytime soon. Credit must go to Dave Bennett for coming in to take over what was obviously a mess that was abandoned by the original manager so obviously things weren't all well up there earlier in the year. I would imagine there are certain teams chomping at the bit already to have a go at them next year. Definitely a sad day for a once proud club that produced and supplied alot of good hurlers to Waterford teams down through the years but they will have a long road ahead of them to get back to senior levels again.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Sad to see Lismore going down but as Robo said, maybe it's the kick in the hole that they need.

From what I hear there hasn't been any club or team spirit there for the past few years.

It seems that all they have is a bunch of cliques and loads of jealousy and infighting.
    Many of us in Croke Park at the Waterford v Kilkenny game could hear the vitriol been thrown at one of their own on the pitch by two of their own management team.

It was excruciating and embarrassing stuff and not a good advertisement for the club, so it's no surprise that they are where they are.

A sad day for Lismore, for so long the standard bearers, particularly at underage in the west, I feel for them as they drop down intermediate - a club who have down such great work in promoting hurling and developed so many stars...

It's always darkest before the dawn and hopefully this is the springboard to launching them back up to the top table again.

Waterfors needs lismore strong, at the end of the day we are all the same it's just the colours of the jerseys are different!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

archieknox wrote: »
    The problem is they're so short on senior standard hurlers at the moment it was going to be a struggle for the next few years for them but I thought they would have been good enough to see of Cappoquin in the first round. Take the Barry's, Maurice Shanahan the Prendergasts and that's all they have to be honest and they mightn't be enough to get them back up anytime soon. Credit must go to Dave Bennett for coming in to take over what was obviously a mess that was abandoned by the original manager so obviously things weren't all well up there earlier in the year. I would imagine there are certain teams chomping at the bit already to have a go at them next year. Definitely a sad day for a once proud club that produced and supplied alot of good hurlers to Waterford teams down through the years but they will have a long road ahead of them to get back to senior levels again.
    Would be some fun if Lismore, Ballysaggart and Tourin were drawn in the same group next year.

If they can get it together they have it in them to bounce straight back up, and for the good of Waterford hurling I hope that they do.

The first thing they need to do is get Dave Bennett locked in for another year as he is a top class guy who has the respect of the players. But who could blame him if he wanted to run a mile from it. A man who sleeps and breathes Lismore hurling, he took it on during the year when no one else would touch it so he has shown himself to be a bigger man to rise above the internal b****** that has crippled that club. But knowing how it works up there don’t be surprised to see the finger pointed at him for relegation.

They will be in for a big shock at intermediate next year if they think it will be a doddle, to have any chance of coming back up they need to realise the challenge ahead of them, and lose the superiority complex they traditionally hold over the neighbouring clubs around them. The reality is that Tallow, Ballyduff and Cappoquin are now a grade higher than them while Tourin, Ballysaggart and Shamrocks are now all in the same grade and will be gunning to take them down another peg or two. Will be interesting to see how it all shapes out for sure.

If they can get it together they have it in them to bounce straight back up, and for the good of Waterford hurling I hope that they do.

The first thing they need to do is get Dave Bennett locked in for another year as he is a top class guy who has the respect of the players. But who could blame him if he wanted to run a mile from it. A man who sleeps and breathes Lismore hurling, he took it on during the year when no one else would touch it so he has shown himself to be a bigger man to rise above the internal b****** that has crippled that club. But knowing how it works up there don’t be surprised to see the finger pointed at him for relegation.

They will be in for a big shock at intermediate next year if they think it will be a doddle, to have any chance of coming back up they need to realise the challenge ahead of them, and lose the superiority complex they traditionally hold over the neighbouring clubs around them. The reality is that Tallow, Ballyduff and Cappoquin are now a grade higher than them while Tourin, Ballysaggart and Shamrocks are now all in the same grade and will be gunning to take them down another peg or two. Will be interesting to see how it all shapes out for sure.
    You must have heard the same stuff as the rest of us as regards to what was going on up there Paddy. I don't believe for a second Dave Bennett will be branded as the guy who brought them down,that foundation was laid for him by the coward that left them in the mire halfway through the season. Agree fully they need to keep him as there would be no hidden agendas with him only the good of the club. Yes it will make for an interesting western championship next year because for some strange reason id say Lismore will be meeting Ballysaggart or Tourin in their group. Completely by accident of course that the draw will happen that way thus bulging the gate receipts of the Western board!! Id say their superiority complex will be well diminished by then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard luck lismore but if they click they could be strong in the west intermediate

Have relations from clashmore so I hope clashmore go on to win the western title and then the county

archieknox wrote: »
    You must have heard the same stuff as the rest of us as regards to what was going on up there Paddy. I don't believe for a second Dave Bennett will be branded as the guy who brought them down,that foundation was laid for him by the coward that left them in the mire halfway through the season. Agree fully they need to keep him as there would be no hidden agendas with him only the good of the club. Yes it will make for an interesting western championship next year because for some strange reason id say Lismore will be meeting Ballysaggart or Tourin in their group. Completely by accident of course that the draw will happen that way thus bulging the gate receipts of the Western board!! Id say their superiority complex will be well diminished by then!

I remember the junior championship game a few years back between Lismore’s second strings and Ballysaggart in Cappoquin, think it was a western semi final and was one of the biggest crowds Ive seen at that venue. If they meet next year there will be skin and hair flying. They might be combined at underage but theres no love lost when it comes to adult level I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Looking at the big picture though it's probably the best result for Waterford hurling. Although they have their troubles there's Too much class in that DLS team to be relegated.

Looking at the big picture though it's probably the best result for Waterford hurling. Although they have their troubles there's Too much class in that DLS team to be relegated.

Agreed, if DLS went down they would have pulverised everythingin sight at intermediate level next year and that would benefit no one.

Lesson for them is not taking the group stages of the co SHC seriously can backfire. Previous years they kind of sauntered through it, aiming to peak as a team at the quarters/semi finals. But the overall standard has improved the last couple years, and once you lose a couple of games it can become a habit and things can fall apart pretty quick. They can count themselves lucky on this occation that they came up against a Lismore side that were in a bigger mess than themselves.

Lismore have two class acts in Dan and D.Bennet and u think they should beg them to take over the running of the intermediate team the next few years. Let's face it we all know that because of certain attitudes and characters in the club young players are either intimidated or just don't want to put up with it and are being turned off playing with Lismore, get the two lads involved, get rid of the poison, lismore will come again

In fairness, they lost to Cappoquin who had their own problems. Everyone else hammered them. Lismore were conpetitive against nearly everyone else. So how did they lose that game?

Dunno who theyve lost to emmigration, obviously people know more than me but looking at their team I see alot if lads that were their several years ago when they were going well enough. Shane Kearney is gone I think, but other than that their best players are there. There was definitely 9 lads who were there the last time I saw them plus Jack Prendergast.

No sympathy, would people be as sympathetic if Ballyduff, Fourmilewater or Tallow were relegated? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

pmy.murphy wrote: »

It's padlocked when not in use. If you want to case the joint, there's a great view of the pitch from the new Pill walk.

Speaking of Erins Own's pitch, my mother's family grew up just around the corner in the terrace yet her brothers both played for De La Salle. My brother recently asked one of them why he didn't play for Erins Own and found out that the club have only being using that pitch since the 1950's. I would have thought that this was incredible, that any club could be leading such a rootless existence, if it weren't for finding out a few weeks earlier from my father that Ballyduff Upper had to use his club's pitch across the border in Kilworth as recently as the 1980's when they were so successful. The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.

In fairness, they lost to Cappoquin who had their own problems. Everyone else hammered them. Lismore were conpetitive against nearly everyone else. So how did they lose that game?

Dunno who theyve lost to emmigration, obviously people know more than me but looking at their team I see alot if lads that were their several years ago when they were going well enough. Shane Kearney is gone I think, but other than that their best players are there. There was definitely 9 lads who were there the last time I saw them plus Jack Prendergast.

No sympathy, would people be as sympathetic if Ballyduff, Fourmilewater or Tallow were relegated? Doubt it.

Kearney was a big loss to them in fairness. I can also think of Shane Bennett john Heneghan and James Shanahan who emigrated in the past few years all were ex underage county players. Then you think of the older lads like dan dave growler brendan landers and that generation that were there all moved on, and losing the 2 Barrys to america this year. Still Lismore are alway a club that has a nice conveyor belt of hurlers coning through so still shouldnt be in the position theyre in. With regard to sympathy for Lismore I havent seen too much sympathy for them, more an acknowledgent that it was sad to see from a Waterford hurling perspective as they were always a club that produced good county players

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deiseach wrote: »
    It's padlocked when not in use. If you want to case the joint, there's a great view of the pitch from the new Pill walk.

Speaking of Erins Own's pitch, my mother's family grew up just around the corner in the terrace yet her brothers both played for De La Salle. My brother recently asked one of them why he didn't play for Erins Own and found out that the club have only being using that pitch since the 1950's. I would have thought that this was incredible, that any club could be leading such a rootless existence, if it weren't for finding out a few weeks earlier from my father that Ballyduff Upper had to use his club's pitch across the border in Kilworth as recently as the 1980's when they were so successful. The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.

The thing about Erin's Own pitch in Poleberry is that it's less than 10 mins away from St Declan's, which is obviously one of the two DLS feeder schools. Their new pitch out in Killure is probably a better long term move as they can build more around that John's Park/Scoil Lorcain community.

Is Poleberry a Council owned facility which they have a lease on, or their own property I wonder. Quite a valuable land bank I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You'd imagine that Lismore would vent their frustration on the intermediate championship next year. Their coach would probably be sending them out to completely dismantle their opponents and send out a message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement