Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Having been at the game I was most disapointed wit Ray Barrys performance, dont get me wrong stephen Daniels did an excellent job on him but he seemed more focused on complaining and moaning, his one positive input was a great run which he passed to maurice when he possibly should have gone himself

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

No sympathy, would people be as sympathetic if Ballyduff, Fourmilewater or Tallow were relegated? Doubt it.

True enough ML, most clubs go through it at some stage.

Mount Sion must be the only club in the Waterford who have never been relegated.

btw, what do you think of Fourmile's chances against the Gunners next Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

cookey123 wrote: »
    Having been at the game I was most disapointed wit Ray Barrys performance, dont get me wrong stephen Daniels did an excellent job on him but he seemed more focused on complaining and moaning, his one positive input was a great run which he passed to maurice when he possibly should have gone himself

Definitely not his best outing this year for Lismore Stephen Daniels was very good on him. Against Mt Sion he was excellent in the same position but personally I think he's a better wing back. I could see Lismore's reasoning in playing him in the forward line as they needed someone other than Maurice Shanahan to contribute up there I would imagine but credit to DLS they got their match ups right as Kevin Moran did a great job on Maurice also. To be honest DLS have more to offer at senior level at the moment when they sort things out. For Lismore there are lean times ahead as its rumoured today that Eoin Bennett has retired(Lismore 's best player last night) and that 3 more of their younger players are going away again next summer.
    On another matter has anyone an update on the Ballinameela/Tourin playoff? Is the objection still on going or is the game going to be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Yeah it would be I'm fairly sure. Unless there is something going on in there, the big gates beside the post office will be locked. Although I'm sure there are a few unofficial ways of getting in!

Oh believe me there arent Ive investigated, the whole place is surrounded in 15ft railings so makes it almost impossible for anyone to get in unless the gates are open.

It would have been handy for somewhere to puck around as its right next to where I live as Ive recently moved down to Waterford to work and have been looking for a place I could puck around and do a bit of training on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Oh believe me there arent Ive investigated, the whole place is surrounded in 15ft railings so makes it almost impossible for anyone to get in unless the gates are open.

It would have been handy for somewhere to puck around as its right next to where I live as Ive recently moved down to Waterford to work and have been looking for a place I could puck around and do a bit of training on my own.

DLS college field is a 2 min drive or 10 min walk from there and always open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

cookey123 wrote: »
    Having been at the game I was most disapointed wit Ray Barrys performance, dont get me wrong stephen Daniels did an excellent job on him but he seemed more focused on complaining and moaning, his one positive input was a great run which he passed to maurice when he possibly should have ?
    How did Big Dan play? Who were the stars for Lismore? Is it true that one of the De La Salle stars had a second go at a free and then scored a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Kearney was a big loss to them in fairness. I can also think of Shane Bennett john Heneghan and James Shanahan who emigrated in the past few years all were ex underage county players. Then you think of the older lads like dan dave growler brendan landers and that generation that were there all moved on, and losing the 2 Barrys to america this year. Still Lismore are alway a club that has a nice conveyor belt of hurlers coning through so still shouldnt be in the position theyre in. With regard to sympathy for Lismore I havent seen too much sympathy for them, more an acknowledgent that it was sad to see from a Waterford hurling perspective as they were always a club that produced good county players

Yeah have to say if I recall correctly James Shanahan was on the bench when I saw them around 2011 or 2012 though. Jordan Shanahan and Stevie Barry were on Waterford ubderage panels if I recall correctly, neither starting.

If my memory serves me correctly, barry x2, Fennessy, Fitzgerald, Paudie and John Prender, Heaphy, Peter O Keeffe, Stephen O Keeffe, Dan And Maurice all started there around 2012/2013. Thats 11 players. Someone said they lost 10 to emmigration, and maybe theyd be taking over from some of those lads but I'm not entirely convinced it's quality they lack or that the club is some hard luck story to be honest.

Every club has lost somebody, Through lack of form or work commitments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    True enough ML, most clubs go through it at some stage.

Mount Sion must be the only club in the Waterford who have never been relegated.

btw, what do you think of Fourmile's chances against the Gunners next Sunday?

Ballygunner are the standard bearers I suppose. You always seem to get consistency from them that might be lacking sometimes with the other City teams even when their quality is undeniable. No matter what might be going on there, when it comes to the business end Ballygunner perform like a team year in year out and are always there about. You'd have to admire them for that.

Dunno what Barron's availability is, think they'd need him. I heard they were very poor against Abbeyside and If course the last game they lost was against Ballygunner. But saw their games against ballyduff where I thought the standard was much better than reported, and DLS where they were on top throughout and showed great conposure when de la salle landed the pre half time sucker punches.

Not as good the last day though, will need to improve on that to win. I'd give them a chance, Paudi Mahony is a super player who is hard to replace so even though they've had plenty of time to adjust that does leave a gap. Would expect it to be a closer game than their group match.

Think Tallow win the other game. So consistent all year, think they deserve it and will cope with expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Ballygunner are the standard bearers I suppose. You always seem to get consistency from them that might be lacking sometimes with the other City teams even when their quality is undeniable. No matter what might be going on there, when it comes to the business end Ballygunner perform like a team year in year out and are always there about. You'd have to admire them for that.

Dunno what Barron's availability is, think they'd need him. I heard they were very poor against Abbeyside and If course the last game they lost was against Ballygunner. But saw their games against ballyduff where I thought the standard was much better than reported, and DLS where they were on top throughout and showed great conposure when de la salle landed the pre half time sucker punches.

Not as good the last day though, will need to improve on that to win. I'd give them a chance, Paudi Mahony is a super player who is hard to replace so even though they've had plenty of time to adjust that does leave a gap. Would expect it to be a closer game than their group match.

Think Tallow win the other game. So consistent all year, think they deserve it and will cope with expectation.[/QUOTE

Ballygunner may be consistent but if they do not up the intensity several nothces they may well struggle on Sunday.

I think Ballyduff will will have too much experience and know how to see them through against Tallow.....in the curtain raiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

hardybuck wrote: »
    DLS college field is a 2 min drive or 10 min walk from there and always open.

Where exactly is that now? Is it near the peoples park/school?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

De La Salle College pitch is right across from the peoples park. 5 min walk from poleberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Who was the Lismore manager pre Dave Bennett?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Who was the Lismore manager pre Dave Bennett?

I think it was Growler earlier in the year anyway. Not sure if he stayed on after Cappoquin loss or if there was another manager before Dave Bennett stepped up. Was rumoured many of players were unhappy with Growlers appointment at the start of the year. Think Brendan Landers may have been involved with Growler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

There are goal posts in the park for a casual puck around but your best bet would be to go to DLS school, which is right beside the park. That is if you cant get into the Poleberry grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

archieknox wrote: »
    On another matter has anyone an update on the Ballinameela/Tourin playoff? Is the objection still on going or is the game going to be played?

It is scheduled to go ahead as far as I know but won't be fixed until Ballinameela's involvement in the intermediate football is over. From what I have heard the western board are arguing that last year was an exception to the rule as they were restructuring the entire junior setup by allowing the second string sides back into the junior championship proper, but that relegation system resumes as normal this year. The decision not to regrade Clashmore, they will argue has been vindicated by their performances in the intermediate championship this year, topping their group and making it through to the Western Final.

Very sad news to hear of Paul Foleys sudden passing. May he rest in peace.

DiscoStew wrote: »

Terrible news. My thoughts are with his family. All the rows and heated debates we have on here and when you hear of something like this it really gives you a sense of reality. What a genuinely lovely,funny man to be in company with. Devastating news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Heard this news a while ago. Very sad. Awful tragedy. RIP Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Awful news about Paul Foley. Thoughts with his family at this time. RIP

It is scheduled to go ahead as far as I know but won't be fixed until Ballinameela's involvement in the intermediate football is over. From what I have heard the western board are arguing that last year was an exception to the rule as they were restructuring the entire junior setup by allowing the second string sides back into the junior championship proper, but that relegation system resumes as normal this year. The decision not to regrade Clashmore, they will argue has been vindicated by their performances in the intermediate championship this year, topping their group and making it through to the Western Final.
    Ah yes! No wonder people are cynical about the GAA in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Awful news about Paul Foley. Thoughts with his family at this time. RIP
    Shocking news. Puts life in perspective. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Awful news about Paul. Another notch to add to the sad statistic about metal health in Ireland. May he rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Gardner wrote: »
    Awful news about Paul. Another notch to add to the sad statistic about metal health in Ireland. May he rest in peace

Utterly shell-shocked. Absolute gent and a true Deise Gael.

He had a fantastic career and gave unreal service to Waterford GAA. Played at full forward in the AI minor final of 1992. Amazingly made his senior intercounty championship debut over 13 years later when he came on as a sub against Cork in the AI quarter final in 05 in Croke Park. Transferred to Ballygunner from his home club of Stradbally at a young age and won many co senior championships and a Munster club title with them. Returned to his beloved Stradbally late in his career, Very accomplished footballer aswell winning All Ireland Junior medal with Waterford if I'm not mistaken. Was now one of the up and coming refreees in the game. My heart goes out to his family and wide circle of friends. RIP Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very sad news rip

Will the ballygunner match Sunday be postponed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Hadn't been on here for a while as had internet issues, but sympathies to Foley family and all in Stradbally Gaa and Ballygunner Gaa. RIP

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very sad news rip

Will the ballygunner match Sunday be postponed ??

I would imagine that depends on funeral arrangements? Haven't heard any talk of games being postponed but everyone is still in shock really. Could there be implications for the other semi final due to impact may have had on other referees?

I would imagine that depends on funeral arrangements? Haven't heard any talk of games being postponed but everyone is still in shock really. Could there be implications for the other semi final due to impact may have had on other referees?

Both semi finals go ahead as arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I hear the football championship won't be finished in time for the Munster club, which is on the first weekend of November. The hurlers only got to the semi final, there was ample time to ensure the competitions finished in time. Why does there need to be a weekend off in between the hurling quarters and semis? Also, the football munster club fixture is the weekend before the hurling - so why couldn't they delay the hurling championship slightly to accommodate a round of football.

I know some people are deeply against football in this county, which is fair enough when it comes to the county team but our senior clubs have always competed well in the club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

What's the story with this Ballinameela v Tourin game? Started working out of the country and feeling a bit out of the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

OEP wrote: »
    I hear the football championship won't be finished in time for the Munster club, which is on the first weekend of November. The hurlers only got to the semi final, there was ample time to ensure the competitions finished in time. Why does there need to be a weekend off in between the hurling quarters and semis? Also, the football munster club fixture is the weekend before the hurling - so why couldn't they delay the hurling championship slightly to accommodate a round of football.

I know some people are deeply against football in this county, which is fair enough when it comes to the county team but our senior clubs have always competed well in the club championship.

What's also mad is to be having games on Monday and Tuesday nights which has happened quite recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement