Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do we know he hit or attempted to hit anyone? or are we still in the realms of conjecture?

A name and picture of the producer has been released.

This is a minor publicity stunt which the social media's and press have made massive. Nothing like getting a ratings boost and get people talking about the show.

There is going to be the 'unaired episode' that will air in a few weeks...or it will be a DVD extra.

EDIT: There is also some twitter exchanges this morning from the presenters making fun of the whole thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That is insane. This has nothing to do with the public. If Jeremy assaulted a co-worker, that's up for BBC and whatever legislation is in place in the UK for such matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

IT would be interesting if Chris Evans would take over if JC gets the axe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Do we know he hit or attempted to hit anyone? or are we still in the realms of conjecture?

Conjecture is sufficient these days.

Conjecture and a headline with the word 'shame' in it.

didn't you get the memo.

or did you just choose to ignore it and throw it in the bin.

I bet you did......you callous bastard.

Palmr in bin memo shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I can hear Clarkson laughing over here :D

Heh heh so can I ,these people base their fame on pure 'knobbery' ie being total knobs on the tube,happy in the knowledge that the audience they appeal to will lap that up and totally ignore the fact that not only are they not defenders of the 'little man' they are laughing at him and trousering huge wads at his expense.

You couldn't make it up man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Heh heh so can I ,these people base their fame on pure 'knobbery' ie being total knobs on the tube,happy in the knowledge that the audience they appeal to will lap that up and totally ignore the fact that not only are they not defenders of the 'little man' they are laughing at him and trousering huge wads at his expense.

You couldn't make it up man.

In what way is that worse than anything that's being done in Leinster House? Or Brussels???
    At least these people don't hide any of what they do ans are one of the few things on TV that can still be smiled at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Akrasia wrote: »
    Poor Chris Donoghue on newstalk this morning was terribly offended that Clarkson called the Vietnami man a 'Sloth' (he said it about 4 times, he clearly didn't know why he was supposed to be outraged)

Every time almost any Irish journalists open their gob about anything car related, they make an absolute tit of themselves. I was shouting at the radio, but I wasn't going to spend 30 cent on a text (bastard ripoff Newstalk) to correct them. My theory is that Newstalk employ presenters who deliberately rile the people up, so everyone texts in like mad, so they make loads of money.
    But this was genuine incompetence, bad research and the usual muppetry going on in the Irish media in general.

Wanted:
    Radio journalist. Has to present topical talk show covering a wide range of subjects. Ideal candidates will never have been abroad except on holidays and will have to demonstrate that local Irish knowledge is the only thing they excell at. Will have to pretend on air to know everything about everything whilst making an absolute tit of himself, but that's OK since only about 1% of the listeners will notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

In what way is that worse than anything that's being done in Leinster House? Or Brussels???
    At least these people don't hide any of what they do ans are one of the few things on TV that can still be smiled at.

People thought the same of Jimmy Savile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Every time almost any Irish journalists open their gob about anything car related, they make an absolute tit of themselves. I was shouting at the radio, but I wasn't going to spend 30 cent on a text (bastard ripoff Newstalk) to correct them. My theory is that Newstalk employ presenters who deliberately rile the people up, so everyone texts in like mad, so they make loads of money.
    But this was genuine incompetence, bad research and the usual muppetry going on in the Irish media in general.

Wanted:
    Radio journalist. Has to present topical talk show covering a wide range of subjects. Ideal candidates will never have been abroad except on holidays and will have to demonstrate that local Irish knowledge is the only thing they excell at. Will have to pretend on air to know everything about everything whilst making an absolute tit of himself, but that's OK since only about 1% of the listeners will notice.

Phrases like

50 miles to the Gallon in old money .. the Daysul version is very responsive and cheap to tax

*cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Every time almost any Irish journalists open their gob about anything car related, they make an absolute tit of themselves....
    So being unfamiliar with a racial slur is "car related"?

Thar epitomises what Top Gear has become.

• Advertisement

Long time since I smiled at a Top Gear show, but if that is your bag and you don't mind being taken in by them, good luck to you.

You do make a good point.

So being unfamiliar with a racial slur is "car related"?

Thar epitomises what Top Gear has become.

He is unfamiliar with it because he is an Irish journalist. That means he is ace in local politics, GAA and rugby. Everything else gets hastily read through in 2 minutes. One thing the Irish media hates especially is anything car related so they won't know anything or care about it. Have you ever heard anything F1 related on Irish sports news? Exactly. So of course Chris got it wrong, because he probably spent 5 minutes on Google and then got even that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Oh God, BBC please take him back... He's started cooking..." - Emily Clarkson
    Gatling wrote: »
    Should have ran him over with a tank...

Yeah, a Challenger 2 tank with a 26-litre V12 developing 1,200BHP of Pow-AAAHHH!! :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »

Yeah, a Challenger 2 tank with a 26-litre V12 developing 1,200BHP of Pow-AAAHHH!! :pac:

Cooking? I can imagine, probably uses this implement:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

jimgoose wrote: »

Absolutely yes please .

you get my vote to take over his job .

Some say he's a a boardsie

and that he once drove over somebody with a challenger 2 Tank

and all we know he's called Jim Goose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Bit weird Clarksons wife, James May and the other one thinking assault is funny.

Stewart Lee sums it up well.
    The Reason I hate Top Gear
    http://youtu.be/xgABbHPdwH4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do you by any chance drive a peugeot?
    Nope.

20Cent wrote: »
    Bit weird Clarksons wife, James May and the other one thinking assault is funny.

But do we know exactly what happened? There is a difference in jumping someone, knocking them to the ground and stomping on their head 27 times and a scuffle between two blokes who are having an argument. Are we such precious, fragile flowers as to class that as assault? Sad world we live in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

20Cent wrote: »

Well, Francie is from the Isle of Man, IIRC - Cat o' Nine Tails and all. And May is from 1752 - that's why he's afraid of telephones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm always baffled by the amount of hatred aimed at Clarkson and the others on Top Gear.

It's a decent show and occasionally shows off some cars too. Sure he's a bit of a pillock, but he's no worse than many other people on TV and generally seems like a decent bloke with a talent for annoying people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

If people are outraged or offended by Top Gear so what? Nobody is forced to watch and millions around the world love the show.

If you watch a show you don't like and get offended then it's on your shoulders.

Seems like a lot of people go out of their way to get offended, or just love to take up offence on others behalf without knowing the first thing about it like Chris Plank Donoghue on Newstalk who was outraged that Clarkson used the racial term Sloth.

It's Slope but when your focus is on getting offended all that matters is to be seen to be offended and politically correct.

Bunch of apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

Why can't people be racist on tv? It's PC gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

But do we know exactly what happened? There is a difference in jumping someone, knocking them to the ground and stomping on their head 27 times and a scuffle between two blokes who are having an argument. Are we such precious, fragile flowers as to class that as assault? Sad world we live in ...

Its reported as a punch.
    No one should be punched at work. (except boxers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm always baffled by the amount of hatred aimed at Clarkson and the others on Top Gear.

"Hatred" - slightly over-the-top word to use, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yes, so sad that we should protect citizens from morons who can't solve an argument without resorting to petty violence. What a bunch of pansies we all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why can't people be racist on tv? It's PC gone mad.

People getting overly offended about nothing is what's mad

If people are outraged or offended by Top Gear so what? Nobody is forced to watch and millions around the world love the show.

If you watch a show you don't like and get offended then it's on your shoulders.

A lot of people here, me included, say they no longer watch Top Gear because they got sick of it for it various reasons, most of them Clarkson related. So, er, people don't watch him if they don't like him generally? And know the reasons why they don't. And are hence commenting about it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    A lot of people here, me included, say they no longer watch Top Gear because they got sick of it for it various reasons, most of them Clarkson related. So, er, people don't watch him if they don't like him generally? And know the reasons why they don't. And are hence commenting about it here.

For someone who has no time for Clarkson or Top Gear anymore, you have alot of posts in a thread dedicated to him...

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yes, so sad that we should protect citizens from morons who can't solve an argument without resorting to petty violence. What a bunch of pansies we all are.

Sad that some individuals can't operate without resorting g to violence.

Goes to show that this man and his 'team' seem to think they can do whatever they want.

Time to tell this man that he has overstepped the mark and pack him off into the sunset

• Advertisement

For someone who has no time for Clarkson or Top Gear anymore, you have alot of posts in a thread dedicated to him...

How original. :D

Well, Clarkson certainly has his dedicated fanboys, that's something I've learned today. The Beeb definitely won't be letting him go any time soon! You can all rejoice.

Advertisement