Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

logik wrote: »
    Hasn't been a show about cars for 5 years... Fifth Gear is actually a better show.

Then go watch fifth gear if that's what you want to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Chocrealo wrote: »
    What makes someone "relevant"?

Someone who gives value for money and is an asset to whatever line of business they are in,would be a good start,I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't get the whole racist thing to be fair.
    Slagging is one thing but some of it is plain racist.Not very endearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

FactCheck wrote: »
    This always looks so childish. If they don't want to print the word (fair enough) at least just say something like "a racial slur". Don't block out the word like we're playing Wheel of Fortune.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And yet, you've still decided to write quite a lot on him. Odd.

Not really, what's odd is posting in a thread about a presenter who's usually rather critical of various topics, in response to someone who is critical of the presenter, saying they shouldn't bother posting if all they are going to do is be critical.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

To quote stewart lee, 'Jeremy Clarkson has two daughters.... And I hope they go blind...'

Yeah but Lee is the 'right kind of controversial' AKA a liberal one, like Roman Polanski (rapist) or Sean Penn (wifebeater).

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Hang on...stewards enquiry :confused:

Has he been suspended, suppended or upended :confused:

I'm very :confused::D:p

Type in haste.........cringe at leisure 😟

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't get the whole racist thing to be fair.
    Slagging is one thing but some of it is plain racist.Not very endearing.

Exactly which bit is racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Clarkson is an absolute legend and is what makes Top Gear

Without him there is no Top Gear as he cant be replaced so they are at a stalemate.

exactly

Topgear is Clarkson and Clarkson is Topgear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I've been a huge fan of Top Gear since 'legs' Rippon first brought it to us. In recent years I've spent too much time cringing at the antics of the presenters. The rest of the show has been grand overall, but wrecking perfectly good cars for what passes as entertainment never sat well with me. The recent Peugeot segment where May and Clarkson bounced their cars off a building. That wasn't funny in any way. What was the point they were trying to make in doing this?

The last show was quite good, ruined slightly by a very unfunny appearance of Clarkson and Hammond in the rally-cross piece.

Bottom line, for me, is that if Top Gear is dead, Clarkson killed it. :mad:

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Exactly which bit is racist?

The N word.
    The "slope " comment.
    Most of it is harmless slagging in fairness but when he comes out with comments like these you have to wonder where he's coming from.
    Though he does usually give high praise to whatever country they're in at some point in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Are the simpsons racist because pretty much every time they leave America, the country they visit is nothing but a million stereotypes

They can't mention Ireland without showing a drunken fighting leprechaun for example

'Liberalism' is hyper sensitive to 'offensive words' and often misses the joke.

Actions speak louder than words. If Clarkson was promoting closed borders or discrimination against gay people or women or black people or if he was involved in political campaigns that were targetting minorities for discrimination, then fair enough, he deserves to be criticised for these practises. As it stands, Clarkson is probably just a guy who thinks its funny to make 'inappropriate comments' and enjoys the reaction he gets from trolling 'liberals'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kneemos wrote: »
    The N word.
    The "slope " comment.
    Most of it is harmless slagging in fairness but when he comes out with comments like these you have to wonder where he's coming from.
    Though he does usually give high praise to whatever country they're in at some point in the show.

There is a well known nursery rhyme which uses the word. When he was saying it he was pointing at a car not a little colored child.

Most of the population didn't know that slope was a negative word.

Come to think of it, why did you refer to the first one as the N word and not the second one as the "S" word?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Not really, what's odd is posting in a thread about a presenter who's usually rather critical of various topics, in response to someone who is critical of the presenter, saying they shouldn't bother posting if all they are going to do is be critical.

:confused:
    If you'd actually read his comment and mine, you'd notice that Tarzana finds Clarkson dull. I'm just a bit curious why you'd write a fair bit on someone who bores you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Like certain other BBC presenters of the past he thought he was untouchable.Top Gear has become an embarrasment with its unfunny jokes and staged "banter".It stopped being a show about cars years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Suspended why hasn't he been arrested for assault?
    Punching someone because your food isn't ready, psycho.

There is a well known nursery rhyme which uses the word. When he was saying it he was pointing at a car not a little colored child.

Come to think of it, why did you refer to the first one as the N word and not the second one as the "S" word?

Apart from probably getting banned the N word is a vile expression,no right minded person would want to say or write it.Slope is not on the same scale in fairness.
    It did strike me at the time that these guys had more than likely worked their asses off to build the bridge,to get referred to in that manner was unfortunate.

You can rationalise and make excuses for anything,bottom line these words are racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

fryup wrote: »
    exactly

Topgear is Clarkson and Clarkson is Topgear
    Clarkson is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There is a button on the top right hand corner of your remote. It turns off the telly. If you dont like a particular program you can turn it off, or you can change to one of the 70 billion other channels you have.

Just in case you didn't know.

And on that note, nobody ever spoke about a TV show they didn't like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Sad that we live in an age where a publicly funded institution with a prestigious history such as the BBC are so dependant on a knuckle dragger like Clarkson. He's the golden goose and, even worse still, he knows it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hope this gets resolved soon. A public apology for all to see will do it. Then move on. I've been enjoying this season of Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

iDave wrote: »
    Hope this gets resolved soon. A public apology for all to see will do it.

I think its more of an internal issue from what I can gather. He doesn't owe any section of the general public an apology for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think its more of an internal issue from what I can gather. He doesn't owe any section of the general public an apology for once.

Yes but for optics it will be made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Baby Jane wrote: »
    And people who commit suicide are selfish - it's "the truth", forget all that woolly stuff about the individual stories behind suicides. :cool:

I'll always feel achingly for anyone who who has done so. But in fairness, while it was awfully worded (**** the passengers, theyd get over the delay) such a thing would be absolutely traumatic and life wrecking for the train driver themselves, spending an age, fruitlessly trying to stop your train, taking in all the details of the person youre about to send off. Is it really necessary to inflict that horror upon someone that is completely innocent of whats brought that poor soul to such a crossroads?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think this was inevitable that it was going to happen sometime. I also don,t think the BBC will let Clarkson leave unless he decided he wanted to go himself which I doubt he would do.
    As for Top Gear there is some good episodes and some bad ones. This season has been ok. The bit about Peugeot was just stupid do. It started of ok but than just got Stupid. There has been some fantastic cars this season, The LAFerrari that May tested and the Chevy Corvette that Hammand tested being two. Some of the Episodes have been good to like the one with the big pick up trucks in Canada and last weeks with May doing the Drift racing. There has been some really bad ones too do like the Ambulance one. Thats was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Clarkson is an idiot.

he would probably be the first to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think May and Hammond are well able to present the programme without Clarkson... I'd certainly watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I think May and Hammond are well able to present the programme without Clarkson... I'd certainly watch it.

they are able....but they won't.

people seem to forget these guys are best friends, already on twitter May and Hammond have been joking with Clarkson about this,

i get the feeling they will never continue on the show without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Poor Chris Donoghue on newstalk this morning was terribly offended that Clarkson called the Vietnami man a 'Sloth' (he said it about 4 times, he clearly didn't know why he was supposed to be outraged)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Akrasia wrote: »
    Poor Chris Donoghue on newstalk this morning was terribly offended that Clarkson called the Vietnami man a 'Sloth' this morning (he said it about 4 times, he clearly didn't know why he was supposed to be outraged)

:pac::pac::pac: Muppet! :D

Advertisement