Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

He might be amusing to some when he's doing his "bloke down the pub" bit on telly, but imagine having to work with the cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hoop66 wrote: »
    He might be amusing to some when he's doing his "bloke down the pub" bit on telly, but imagine having to work with the cunt.

You hit the nail there Hoop, he might be amusing doing his 'bloke down the pub' but the catch is that the real blokes down the the pub, think he is the bloke down the pub!!

When he he a long long way from that.

That's the funny bit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

They'll probably replace him with that posh wan whos always posting sneering ****e on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You hit the nail there Hoop, he might be amusing doing his 'bloke down the pub' but the catch is that the real blokes down the the pub, think he is the bloke down the pub!!

When he he a long long way from that.

That's the funny bit
    He doesn't strike me as a bloke down the pub at all. Clarkson is in his element eating expensive food while driving one of his many expensive cars around the Tuscany. In a top gear he made the joke that he can't tell the difference between wine, beer and red bull.

He is a toff, an old, opinionated toff, and that's what's great about him.

ScumLord wrote: »
    He doesn't strike me as a bloke down the pub at all. Clarkson is in his element eating expensive food while driving one of his many expensive cars around the Tuscany. In a top gear he made the joke that he can't tell the difference between wine, beer and red bull.

Each to his own, I think is the expression......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A toff? He went to Repton, for heaven's sake. I mean, it's barely 500 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I hear the BBC is planning on replacing Top Gear with an all-new motoring show, hosted by the surviving cast members of Last of the Summer Wine and Anders Behring Breivik.

Clarkson strikes me as an oafish dullard. How anyone can find the carefully scripted/totally spontaneous 'banter' watchable is a mystery. He's no loss to tv in any real way.

James May is an obviously intelligent and interesting man with more to say and the wit to say it without resort to his fists. Hopefully it'll give him a chance to shine if that big dope doesn't return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

If he hit someone at work he'd be fired in most jobs. Being a central part of the show buys him some leeway but he's already on a final warning so he has to be gone.

Special treatment for stars at the BBC isn't going to be tolerated after recent scandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

God bless you Jeremy

We love you Jeremy we do, We love you Jeremy we do

Oh Jer-remy WE LOVE YOU!

Oh Jer-remy WE LOVE YOU!

Oh Jer-remy WE LOVE YOU!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement

Each to his own, I think is the expression......
    Well no, I don't think it's each to his own. I think you've built a caricature of him in your mind that doesn't actually match up with what he's like in real life and then use that caricature as a basis to throw abuse at him.

I just don't know how people can get so involved in hating a TV character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Ah, forelock-tugging. People are allowed to be ignorant, ill-informed knobs as long as they're upper- or upper-middle class.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Ah, forelock-tugging. People are allowed to be ignorant, ill-informed knobs as long as they're upper- or upper-middle class.
    Why make a nonsensical statement like that? Why jump to an extreme version?

The fact he is a toff is what gives him a somewhat unique viewpoint. It doesn't give him the right to be racist and I haven't seen anything to say he is in anyway racist.

Why make a nonsensical statement like that? Why jump to an extreme version?

The fact he is a toff is what gives him a somewhat unique viewpoint. It doesn't give him the right to be racist and I haven't seen anything to say he is in anyway racist.

I haven't mentioned racism at all. He's not actually a toff anyway, he comes from relatively new money. Still a gasbag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I haven't mentioned racism at all. He's not actually a toff anyway, he comes from relatively new money. Still a gasbag though.

That's right - Eddie Clarkson, Jeremy's father, made a good few bob out of Paddington Bear stuffed toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm always baffled by the amount of hatred aimed at Clarkson and the others on Top Gear.

It's a decent show and occasionally shows off some cars too. Sure he's a bit of a pillock, but he's no worse than many other people on TV and generally seems like a decent bloke with a talent for annoying people.

It's most faux outrage and pro pc types I hate this and I hate that ,
    Now do you watch Top Gear or read clarksons articles in the press
    Ehhhhhhh no but I heard this and I heard he did this he's the bogey man .

But hey why would that matter

Gatling wrote: »
    It's most faux outrage and pro pc types I hate this and I hate that ,

Eh, no. I think a lot of the responses from people who don't like him have shown no outrage at all. He's not outrageous, except to a histrionic minority. Most people who don't like him see right through him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People could also hate him for wrecking the best show on tv by turning it into such a boring, scripted, dumbed down sonnze-fest its become for the last 3-4 seasons but then again it was him that made it the best thing on tv before that, that is to say it was the producers before they ran out of ideas that made it so great.

If it does turn out that he punched a member of staff because there was no food truck on site I dont think anyone will be able to defend that though, if it was a bit of pushing and shoving during a shouting match thats more of a grey area...

I sure hope they get the extra ratings they're after

Well no, I don't think it's each to his own. I think you've built a caricature of him in your mind that doesn't actually match up with what he's like in real life and then use that caricature as a basis to throw abuse at him.

You are probably right,I have never met him in real life , and hopefully never will,but his history would lead me to believe he is a a class A bellend.

I could be way off the mark but I have only the accounts of his activities to go on.

Apologies if I have gotten it wrong.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    People could also hate him for wrecking the best show on tv by turning it into such a boring, scripted, dumbed down sonnze-fest its become for the last 3-4 seasons but then again it was him that made it the best thing on tv before that, that is to say it was the producers before they ran out of ideas that made it so great.
    How do you know that it was Clarkson that decided to turn top gear into a highly scripted show? What makes you think it wasn't always a highly scripted show? I very much doubt the BBC approach any of their shows with an attitude of just show up and see what happens. It seems much more likely given Clarksons reputation for saying things that annoy people, that it was producers that wanted everything more scripted so they could get the content they wanted for the show.

Again this is blaming Clarkson for things that are completely beyond his control. All TV today is heavily scripted, that's a trend that's got nothing to do with Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im sure they had a script for every episodes but the high production values made it easy to watch. Now its just 3 old men shuffling through the same old lines and "antics" as the week before that and the week before that and its just an insult to your intelligence the sh1t they're serving up on a plate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He doesn't strike me...
    Candie wrote: »
    Clarkson strikes me...

Give him time; he'll eventually get around to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Gintonious wrote: »
    This is the man who did what a lot of us would love to do, he punched Piers Morgan.

He should have been knighted for that alone.

This totally changed my opinion of him. He should have a job for life at bbc. Maybe have a whole chanel dedicated to him

Thargor wrote: »
    Im sure they had a script for every episodes but the high production values made it easy to watch. Now its just 3 old men shuffling through the same old lines and "antics" as the week before that and the week before that and its just an insult to your intelligence the sh1t they're serving up on a plate now.

Nail on the head, especially the bolded bit. It's now just three overpaid dudes phoning it in every week these days. Cynical but apparently it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Have you met him in "real life" so as to be able to say that he is not as he presents himself to be on the box because he acts like a bit of a tosser on the TV IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We still don't know what happened, was there a massive fight, was it just a push, you know how some people are, you look at them crooked and they throw themselves at the ground screaming "assault! assault! get and ambulance!". Not only anti water charge protesters do that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So how many on here actually watch Top Gear every week or read clarksons articles

Genuinely that is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

garp wrote: »
    Have you met him in "real life" so as to be able to say that he is not as he presents himself to be on the box because he acts like a bit of a tosser on the TV IMO.
    I've met him in real life. WYSIWYG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gatling wrote: »
    So how many on here actually watch Top Gear every week or read clarksons articles

Genuinely that is ?

I watch the show and have one of his books, which are just collections of articles. I've read that too.

Advertisement