Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

He should clean up imo. Assaulted in work and then fired when complains. Like winning the lotto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm sure he'll get a nice chunk of change off Clarkson, but as much as what Clarkson did was wrong, it seems worse for the employer to fire the guy the guy that was assaulted.

Still, can't wait for the new top gear on Amazon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

ScumLord wrote: »
    The bottom line is he was assaulted at work and then got fired.
    superhorse wrote:
    Assaulted in work and then fired when complains.
    Tymon didn't get sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm sure he'll get a nice chunk of change off Clarkson, but as much as what Clarkson did was wrong, it seems worse for the employer to fire the guy the guy that was assaulted.

Still, can't wait for the new top gear on Amazon.

Not calling it 'new top gear' surely!!

Only one Top Gear.. On the BBC

Rest are yesterday's men, RIP.

Top gear is Clarkson, Hammond and May. I hope the BBC one flourishes as well, need more car shows, but up until BBC prove Top Gear won't flop without the traditional trio it's still Clarkson's show.
    cdeb wrote: »
    Tymon didn't get sacked?
    You're right, I misread the article on Newstalk. They were referring to Clarkson's dismissal.

I'm not sure why he's suing the BBC then, unless he's going to say they allowed an environment where Clarkson thought he could get away with assaulting other staff.

• Advertisement

Top gear is Clarkson, Hammond and May. I hope the BBC one flourishes as well, need more car shows, but up until BBC prove Top Gear won't flop without the traditional trio it's still Clarkson's show.

You're right, I misread the article on Newstalk. They were referring to Clarkson's dismissal.

I'm not sure why he's suing the BBC then, unless he's going to say they allowed an environment where Clarkson thought he could get away with assaulting other staff.

Cannot argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

He is suing because he probably cannot get another decent job. The program got cancelled because of his complaint, rightly or wrongly.

I do not see is so racist about being called a lazy Irish **** however. If they guy is lazy, is Irish, and is indeed a **** which is completely possible, we do not know, then maybe he deserved the insult.

But an insult is just an insult. Racism is e.g., what the KKK do, or the Black Panthers, or ISIS, etc., . I refer to case of Sticks vs Stones in the trial of Break my Bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's dead right. I probably don't agree that putting the word 'Irish' before a normal insult makes it racist, but given Clarkson's history with insulting nationalities etc, it's probably a good tactic from the lads legal team.

He'll win and he'll win big. It also won't cost Clarkson a penny.

Jayop wrote: »
    He's dead right. I probably don't agree that putting the word 'Irish' before a normal insult makes it racist, but given Clarkson's history with insulting nationalities etc, it's probably a good tactic from the lads legal team.

He'll win and he'll win big. It also won't cost Clarkson a penny.[/b

Can you explain that in more detail?

Can you explain that in more detail?

He'll be suing clarksons company which will be insured, and in all likelihood the BBC will cover most of the costs to avoid a court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My guess is that after the incident he sat tight and said nothing, didn't rock the boat, tried to be a good sport about it in the hope that it didn't wreck his career. But all this time later I bet he is getting feck all work and the stigma of getting punched by a fat bully has wrecked his career regardless.

At this point I suspect the damage is done and he is just taking the only action left to him, and yet still at no point in any of this has he done a single thing wrong. Clarkson should be ashamed of himself but I doubt he is, he doesn't have the morals for that.

He'll be suing clarksons company which will be insured, and in all likelihood the BBC will cover most of the costs to avoid a court case.

Indeed, that is quite a possibility, ,ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I imagine he is angling for an out of court settlement. Make a claim that makes a lot of media noise, instruct your lawyers to approach his and suggest a settlement with a non-disclosure clause. Done.

The truth is that Tymon is probably unemployable now. Labelled "troublemaker" or worse "couldn't look after the talent" I imagine producers are there to look after the star's needs and wants even if they are total asshats.

I imagine he is angling for an out of court settlement. Make a claim that makes a lot of media noise, instruct your lawyers to approach his and suggest a settlement with a non-disclosure clause. Done.

The truth is that Tymon is probably unemployable now. Labelled "troublemaker" or worse "couldn't look after the talent" I imagine producers are there to look after the star's needs and wants even if they are total asshats.

What a load of tosh, maybe that long jawed ligger saw it like that, but not what producers are there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My guess is that after the incident he sat tight and said nothing, didn't rock the boat, tried to be a good sport about it in the hope that it didn't wreck his career. But all this time later I bet he is getting feck all work and the stigma of getting punched by a fat bully has wrecked his career regardless.

Yes, this incident might have badly affected his career and it's not his fault. Suing to cover future loss of earnings?
    I imagine producers are there to look after the star's needs and wants even if they are total asshats.

Sadly, yes. Gotta look after the "talent".

If Clarkson was any sort of a decent person he should have at least offered him a job on the new show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

If Clarkson was any sort of a decent person he should have at least offered him a job on the new show.

I dunno. It might have crossed his mind but it'd just be so awkward, even making the offer.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I dunno. It might have crossed his mind but it'd just be so awkward, even making the offer.

Well if Clarkson was genuine about how none of it was Oisin's fault like he said in that video then he should have tried to make it work.

Maybe he did and was turned down, but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm pretty sure I heard the London radio presenter who comes onto Matt Cooper's radio show saying that since the incident, Oisin Tymon hasn't been doing the sort of work he had been doing before. I can't be bothered listening back to the audio this hour of night but I think he said the guy had been kept on by the BBC but was doing some sort of desk job.

Clarkson should be ashamed of himself but I doubt he is, he doesn't have the morals for that.
    I agree with everything you said but there's no need to start resorting to the Clarkson bad guy caricature. Clarkson has said he is ashamed of what he did and has taken full responsibility for it, saying Oisin wasn't in any way responsible.

Unfortunately for Oisin he's attached to what may be the downfall of one of the most popular TV shows in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Turned out ok for Oisin in the end. Full apology and a nice pay out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35648682

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Well done Clarkson me old mucker. What a champ he is. Go on Clarkson! Get in ma son!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Turned out ok for Oisin in the end. Full apology and a nice pay out.

Apart from his whole career at the BBC and most likely other media outlets being destroyed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How exactly has his career been destroyed?

Apart from his whole career at the BBC and most likely other media outlets being destroyed of course.

He turned down an offer to continue working on the show, so he must have something in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

He turned down an offer to continue working on the show, so he must have something in the pipeline.

Reads as if he is still employed by the BBC

Reads as if he is still employed by the BBC

He is, but turned down an offer to continue working on top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Did you read the article?
    "Oisin has made an important contribution to the BBC in his 12 years with us, and we hope to see him continue to realise his potential in his role as a development executive.
    "We believe Oisin has a very exciting future at the BBC."
    "destroyed"?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Well done Clarkson me old mucker. What a champ he is. Go on Clarkson! Get in ma son!

Yeah, he should be congratulated on this. He acted like a rational decent person which is extremely hard for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

Clarkson was nothing special. Any of the not particularly good comedy came from the shows writers. Evans will easily outshine him if he has the same team.

Advertisement