Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Ah now! Clarkson himself made the point years back they have no real impact on sales. As for the haters yes you are getting your wish but at what cost? Do you want to live in a world that the opinion writers on the Guardian approve of?

87,000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

He only said that to get Rover off his back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

And yet, you've still decided to write quite a lot on him. Odd.

Shall we tease this point out a bit more, or is that it? :)

I've, what, five posts in this thread? Hardly excessive. One of them explains how I happen upon Clarkson a bit now, despite generally avoiding him. I used to also watch Top Gear, as it used to be enjoyable. But I grew weary of it. So, yes, I have an opinion on it. And?

There'll always be people that take everything he says seriously and believe him and get outraged. Clearly he's out to rile them. But many people see that he's out to rile these people and find it tiresome and think he gets way too many column inches. The Beeb won't drop him though, as this thread shows, he clearly still very popular. And the people who like him seem to think they're the only ones who understand why he acts like he does. Er no, lads, it's really, really obvious to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Its funny the things you can remember and stick with you.

I always remember the time when Bat out of Hell was closing in on the spot for the No1 Driving song from their viewers.

Clarkson ends the segment "If you vote for Meatloaf, we can not guarantee the safety of your house".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then it was all about tae not being ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Clarkson should pull the plug on the show and go to ITV or C4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Who's Stuart Lee? Any relation to Stewart the stand up comedian?

Oh ****. Now I've been told off by the spelling police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bloody get over it! Were so politically correct now that its laughable!

If he left he would be snapped up in a heartbeat by someone else and the BBC would lose millions! So what if he said this that and the other. There are more worrying things than Jeremy mouthing off.

Ever hear of freedom of speech? If you don't like that chap then don't watch him, simple really!

if you want a review on a ford fiesta use Google!

I love the show, it the highlight of my week after a hard week in work to put the feet up, chill out and watch the funniest s*1t that goes on...and the amazing cars too :)

Spot on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

An upper-class twit who has captured a naive young audience. Six months in the slammer with an over-sexed Bubba should do the biz.

Ever hear of freedom of speech? If you don't like that chap then don't watch him, simple really!

Well, I don't think anyone on this thread said he shouldn't open his pie hole and let stuff spew forth if he so wishes. He can do, and does do.

But this "Durr, if you don't like, don't watch" guff. Why bother with any kind of criticism so? Anyone in the public eye leaves themselves open to it. It's kind of unavoidable.

I personally do avoid him as much as possible despite once liking Top Gear. I just find him a bit tiresome now. Not outrageous, just tedious.

Controvagonk, indeed. (thanks for that, Charlie :D)

Oh and my replies to this thread mean he has really riled me up, yes. :) Just thought I'd preemptively stick that in there before some genius comes on here and posts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Haha, foreigners and poor people! Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Some say he used the "N"word

Some even say he used the "W"word

All we know is that he is suppended
    Hang on...stewards enquiry :confused:

Has he been suspended, suppended or upended :confused:

I'm very :confused::D:p

I'm not the biggest Stewart Lee fan but his bit on Top Gear is fantastic:

The first 25 seconds or so pretty much sums up Clarkson. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Six months in the slammer with an over-sexed Bubba should do the biz.

Ah so that's what made you the way you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Top Gear's getting a bit stale anyway. It probably wouldn't do any harm to get rid of Clarkson and May and Hammond. They could replace them with Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage and that guy who let off a nail bomb in a gay pub in Soho in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

If he annoys people, well then he achieves his goal...along the lines of
    'no publicity is bad publicity...'

Choodefat wrote: »
    If he annoys people, well then he achieves his goal...along the lines of
    'no publicity is bad publicity...'

That does seem to be how he and, rather depressingly, the Beeb thinks. I'd imagine the show still gets good ratings so tis here to stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

omerin wrote: »
    It really sickens me to see a fellow member of the proletariat being victimised and bullied by management. Is there anything we can do?

Clarkson and the idiots who support him are past their 'sell-by'.

Tired jaded and irrelevant.

Time to move on, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Here's hoping that Top Gear reopens on Channel 5/Channel 4 or 'Men with Motors' in the coming months with a politically incorrect 1970s totty inspired makeover!

Cue Clarkson, Captain slow, plus Hammond being chased by Benny Hill type lassies riding red vespas with the lads In a 'suped up' open top beige Austin Allegro, fitted with a suggestive number plate O:-)

Goodbye BBC, hello some other channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Clarkson is a bitter ageing alcoholic. The Patagonian saga should have seen him in jail for incitement of hatred. He really does believe that being a brit entitles him to belittle others. I try to like him but I can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The three of them play off each other perfectly, take one of them out and it ruins it all. If they replaced him with a new guy, the new guy would just be out to prove himself and end up looking like a tryhard bellend.

The last couple of seasons have seemed so fake and scripted anyway, I always knew they put it on to make it better and more dramatic but it was never as bad as the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The three of them play off each other perfectly, take one of them out and it ruins it all. If they replaced him with a new guy, the new guy would just be out to prove himself and end up looking like a tryhard bellend.

The last couple of seasons have seemed so fake and scripted anyway, I always knew they put it on to make it better and more dramatic but it was never as bad as the last couple of seasons.
    this season has actually been quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

this season has actually been quite good.

IMO this season had become a total parody, what on earth was the 20mins of rubbish about Peugeot about for example, and the article about Rallycross was brilliant until they brought Clarkson and Hammond along to basically look stupid.

Clarkson in particular has run his course TBH,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Yay! Delighted he's finally shot himself in the foot. In recent years he's been like the fella who you make a point of avoiding in the bar before he wears the ear off you whinging about the way he's so constrained by the "liberal left agenda", not once realising that middle aged men who act like the kid who's always in trouble in primary school are not that endearing, and never were. He bores the head off me, and Hammond is just as odd. Also hasn't got much past primary school one-up-man-ship conversation. May is just boring. Nice, but boring.

Between the three of them, Top Gear has descended into farce, although it seems to appeal to "the lads" (term used in this case to describe the kids in primary school that stood back gleefully watching the kid always in trouble and winding him up to do more stupid stuff).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Good. In my view, he should have been put out to pasture a few years ago.

The show used to be funny, but in the last couple of seasons it looked tired, over-acted on a bad script and basically just playing to the lowest common denominator.
    Clarkson used to be funny, but he's lost "funny" years ago and now is just trying to get a reaction - any reaction.
    I don't care about racial slurs or punching producers, but him being on telly desperately trying to portrait himself as not being an ageing, bitter prick and failing in every single show - it's not funny, it's turning into car crash TV. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Mark my words Clarkson will not be sacked. Suspending him is an exercise to appease the producer he tried to hit.

Top gear has a worldwide audience of 400 million viewers apparently and is a massive cash cow for the BBC. They are not going to mess around with this by getting rid of him. A very large percentage of the viewers tune in because of him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Tzardine wrote: »
    Mark my words Clarkson will not be sacked. Suspending him is an exercise to appease the producer he tried to hit.

Top gear has a worldwide audience of 400 million viewers apparently and is a massive cash cow for the BBC. They are not going to mess around with this by getting rid of him. A very large percentage of the viewers tune in because of him.

I'd be really curious how many have by now tuned out because of him....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The show has definitely lost its spark. The same gags are cropping up too often and the scripted banter isnt what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd be really curious how many have by now tuned out because of him....

Less than 400 million 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Maybe now Top Gear can become a show about cars again.

Hasn't been a show about cars for 5 years... Fifth Gear is actually a better show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

And on that bombshell ... Bring clarkson back

Advertisement