Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

20Cent wrote: »
    Suspended why hasn't he been arrested for assault?
    Punching someone because your food isn't ready, psycho.

I think it might have been a little bit more nuanced than that.

These are people who are on the road together working very closely under a lot of pressure. If there are moments of raised emotions, it's not the same as some guy beating his wife because the dinner wasn't ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Akrasia wrote: »
    ... it's not the same as some guy beating his wife because the dinner wasn't ready.
    So that makes it acceptable, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If the dinner was ready there wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"You can't say anything these days! Bloody liberal media!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No, It's not acceptable to throw a punch at a work colleague, but it's also not an indication that he's a psychopath either (regarding the post I was replying to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Poor Chris Donoghue on newstalk this morning was terribly offended that Clarkson called the Vietnami man a 'Sloth' (he said it about 4 times, he clearly didn't know why he was supposed to be outraged)
    That lads a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Falcon L wrote: »
    I've been a huge fan of Top Gear since 'legs' Rippon first brought it to us. In recent years I've spent too much time cringing at the antics of the presenters. The rest of the show has been grand overall, but wrecking perfectly good cars for what passes as entertainment never sat well with me. The recent Peugeot segment where May and Clarkson bounced their cars off a building. That wasn't funny in any way. What was the point they were trying to make in doing this?

The last show was quite good, ruined slightly by a very unfunny appearance of Clarkson and Hammond in the rally-cross piece.

Bottom line, for me, is that if Top Gear is dead, Clarkson killed it. :mad:
    Do you by any chance drive a peugeot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TONY09

I will be very surprised if he is sacked for this fracas. He is a very big star , and does
    bring in lots of money for the BBC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

darkdubh wrote: »
    It stopped being a show about cars years ago.

Anyone who thinks differently is in idiot in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd wouldn't be surprised if this was someone trying to make a name for themselfs and a shed load of cash on the side .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Shrap wrote: »
    Also hasn't got much past primary school one-up-man-ship conversation.

Story-toppers, is there anything worse?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Clarkson used to be funny, but he's lost "funny" years ago and now is just trying to get a reaction - any reaction.

That's a good point - there was a time when he was actually entertaining. People are quick to say "Oh looking to be outraged, you just don't get him" but really people are just a bit jaded with him debasing himself to get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

ThisRegard wrote: »

Hurrrrrrr DUUURRRRRRRRR *drools*

Tzardine wrote: »
    Mark my words Clarkson will not be sacked. Suspending him is an exercise to appease the producer he tried to hit.

Top gear has a worldwide audience of 400 million viewers apparently and is a massive cash cow for the BBC. They are not going to mess around with this by getting rid of him. A very large percentage of the viewers tune in because of him.

Sadly this is true. As shenshen said, it's now lowest common denominator viewing and that comes with a large audience the Beeb won't want to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

One mans idiot is another mans clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

The guy is in a position where not saying anything outgrageous would bore people.
    He's cultivated the boorish persona as far back as I remember. He is, wrongly, more famous these days for his gaffes and non-PC bullsh1t opinions, than his passion for motoring which made him famous in the first place.

But when you lash out at someone, at work, you deserve the sack, irregardless of how much revenue you generate. The BBC, as a publically funded entity, simply has no choice. He has nobody to blame but himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Sadly this is true. As shenshen said, it's now lowest common denominator viewing and that comes with a large audience the Beeb won't want to give up.

That's what all TV is today anyway. Drivel for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I am most certainly not an idiot, I am a monumental bell-end.

conorhal wrote: »
    Yeah but Lee is the 'right kind of controversial' AKA a liberal one, like Roman Polanski (rapist) or Sean Penn (wifebeater).

Did you miss the point of that joke?

And I think Sean Penn is widely regarded as a knob and Polanski rightly lambasted. What weird examples to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

James May is reported to have replied, on being asked whether or not JC is innocent, "Of being a knob? No!" before proceeding to lock himself out of his house and mumbling embarrassedly. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jimgoose wrote: »
    James May is reported to have replied, on being asked whether or not JC is innocent, "Of being a knob? No!" before proceeding to lock himself out of his house and mumbling embarrassedly. :pac:

I can hear Clarkson laughing over here :D

'Liberalism' is hyper sensitive to 'offensive words' and often misses the joke.

Classic Simpsons skewered national stereotypes really well, Clarkson is just artless. People aren't missing the joke, they just recognise he's not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Some say that they didn't have enough worthwhile material to complete the series so had to come up with a cunning plan, some say it was the comments last week about Maggie Thatcher's Vulcan bombers and the bombing raid on Port stanley and that the producer who ate clarksons dinner was Argentine, all we know is that the show is dead in the water and has been for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

Top Gear is awful, it's not in the least bit funny, it's overly scripted and just cringey. It's like a load of 16 year old lads left home alone for the weekend.

Sad that we live in an age where a publicly funded institution with a prestigious history such as the BBC are so dependant on a knuckle dragger like Clarkson. He's the golden goose and, even worse still, he knows it.

Really sad. But the BBC has been dumbing down for years now, ever since it changed the evening news timeslot from 9 to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd wouldn't be surprised if this was someone trying to make a name for themselfs and a shed load of cash on the side .
    So Clarkson did him a big favour? What a nice man Jeremy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lapin wrote: »
    The man is an inspiration to us all.

He speaks the truth and some people can't take it.

Oh FFS.

To borrow a quote from his co presenter or rather underling, what a load of cock.
    clackson is just an ould lad who likes to say controversial things because that is about all he has going for him at this stage.
    Sometimes the controversial things are truth, sometimes they are pure shyte and just displays he is a relic of what a lot of British were in the past, a massive superiority complex and a habit of looking down their noses at foreigners.
    Lapin wrote: »
    The BBC are gone far too soft in the head.

Lets hope he's back on our screens before too long.

Assuming story is true, is it ok for a presenter to throw a dig at a work colleague just because they are the star and out in front of the camera ?

As for those lamenting Top Gear not being on, it has been getting pretty stale over the last couple of years anyway.
    We get rehashed not so original scenarios where we all know that the winner will most likely be clarkson himself.

And it has shag all to really do with cars these days, unless of course it is some new limited edition super car on the block which about 0.001 % of the population can afford.

As someone mentioned the Peugeot segment a few weeks back was pure shyte and IMHO was actually a kind of rehash of a segment done by clarkson years ago where he tried to prove a Volvo 340 was unbreakable by continously driving into things.

And I do agree with others May is the best and has done some good stuff out of Top Gear but of course lots of Top Gear fans will just buy into the boring captain slow moniker created for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do we know he hit or attempted to hit anyone? or are we still in the realms of conjecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So Clarkson did him a big favour? What a nice man Jeremy is.

Should have ran him over with a tank

Future lesson don't mess with jezza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

These 300,000 must be the same ones who fall for the Nigerian Prince e-mail scams.

Advertisement